Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

The events of The Road to El Dorado take place and unfold the way they do because of a revolution among the gods of El Dorado. They believe that Tzekel-Kan needs to be removed but, since they cannot intervene directly (and because they have already given TK so much power), they recruit a pair of ne'er-do-wells from across the world to unseat him. All the coincidences that occur happen because of their intervention, including the ability for everyone to understand each others' language. Once the job is done, this magic evaporates, leaving a suprised Tulio and Chel suddenly unable to understand each other (though giving them something to work through while they grow as a couple) but also ensuring that Tzekel-Kan can't try to convince Cortez of the validity of his story before he is disposed of.
--Patrick

Ooooooof. One point. One. And it's only because I didn't have a Myspace account because I've always considered social media a plague, which is such boomer energy I should get that point deducted.

View attachment 45273
Two points for me. I didn't have a MySpace account and I don't think AOL was available here in Canada.

It's not listed here as an option, but I DID briefly have a Geocities page. I can't for the life of me remember what it was for, but I had one.

I still use my AOL account as my main e-mail address :D. Maybe I'll move over to my G-mail account one of these days

How do you listen to cassettes without a boombox ? Walkman i guess, but that would be weird if you only had a walkman...
A boombox is specifically a portable all-in-one music player. Home stereo systems might be made up of different components.

This

vs this

Done all but owned an encyclopedia, those were too expensive for a full set

I had one of those half-shoebox-sized portable cassette players that ran off an AC plug or 6 C batteries. Halforums mug for scale.
20230603_173818.jpg

GasBandit

Staff member
I still have the same home stereo I got in the 90s. It has a dual cassette deck and a 5-CD carousel on top. These days though it mostly just feeds sound from my TV to the living room.

(I also still have a working combo VHS/DVD player, but no blu ray player, and I think you all know why)

GasBandit

Staff member
Well that's some Ritchie Rich shit right there, no wonder i didn't think of it...
For most middle-to-elder generation X... that's all there was. No boomboxes, no walkmen, if you wanted to listen to music you did so on a credenza sized vacuum tube monstrosity.

a credenza sized vacuum tube monstrosity.
Hey, we still have one of those. We bought it at a garage sale to replace the one my wife's in-laws THREW AWAY. They tossed it because they thought it was broken when it didn't start playing music right when you turned it on, not realizing tubes literally have to warm up before they actually DO anything.

--Patrick

It's hard to tell from his picture, but I'm gonna guess that the one I posted is probably a liiittle bit more expensive...
Because everything cost more when that one was made. Looks like the one you posted is only a turntable, a tuner and an amp/equalizer. No cassette player, cd player, or even 8-track player. Speakers were always at least 3 feet or so tall, and weighed around 30 pounds each. Those systems were such a huge step above the furniture piece that had a lift up top that exposed a turntable, tuner and even occasionally a reel-to-reel deck.
IMG_5079.jpeg

Because everything cost more when that one was made. Looks like the one you posted is only a turntable, a tuner and an amp/equalizer. No cassette player, cd player, or even 8-track player. Speakers were always at least 3 feet or so tall, and weighed around 30 pounds each. Those systems were such a huge step above the furniture piece that had a lift up top that exposed a turntable, tuner and even occasionally a reel-to-reel deck.
View attachment 45289
... okay? Did I unintentionally offend you or something? I'm not slagging on the one you posted, it's just the one I posted is made by a high end audio company. It has the kind of price tag that makes people scoff in surprise.

As far as I know, a lot of their product is made in New York, so probably not. They apparently do a good bit of in-house fabrication.

GasBandit

Staff member

"Hey Gas, how's it going"

"....."
"......................"
"......................................................................"
".............................."
".............................................................................."
"................................"
"................................................"
"......................................"
"........................."
".............."
"All good, you?"