Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

I feel old now. I had a 4 digit number until I was 8, it changed to a 5 digit for the next 7 years and it moved to a full 7. We still haven’t had to go to area code plus dialing in the area. We haven’t had a landline in over 15 years.
The other day, I got a voicemail from my dentist for rescheduling my appointment. She said "call me back at.." and gave a 7 digit number without the area code. I felt like I'd gone back 30 years.

Going to a channel higher than 13 meant you had to turn the first knob to "U"
I used to have the adapter that let you tune those in for people whose sets didn't have the second knob (playing them on thru 3/4). I don't know if I trashed it or if it's buried in the pile o' stuff.
this was my only video game system:
View attachment 40960
I still have mine. :)
I've separated and cleaned those controllers SO many times.

--Patrick

We also had the last wet graduation ceremony our school district ever had. Probably because every year 17 year old grads (like me) would get annihilated at the supposedly IDing event.

GasBandit

Staff member
When I was in high school, the cool kids had a special corner on the sidewalk just outside school grounds they'd all go to to smoke.

When I was in high school, the cool kids had a special corner on the sidewalk just outside school grounds they'd all go to to smoke.
We had something similar, although I'd hesitate to call them "cool"; the smoking area was generally the sketchy kids. If/when the "cool"/popular/spoiled crowd smoked, they didn't do it hanging around the school.

When I was in high school having a pager meant the admin thought you were a drug dealer, and they would be confiscated on the spot. Teachers would often rant about how no one needed to get a hold you of that desperately.

If only they had known what was coming.

GasBandit

Staff member
We had something similar, although I'd hesitate to call them "cool"; the smoking area was generally the sketchy kids. If/when the "cool"/popular/spoiled crowd smoked, they didn't do it hanging around the school.
When/where I was in high school, sketchy WAS "cool." I think the primary adjective my stepmother used for most of my friends was "disreputable."

My first car, you needed to push the accelerator pedal down to the floor once before trying to turn over the starter or it wouldn't start.

It also had a fresh air vent on the window. You pushed in a button, turned the handle and pushed it out to get air in without rolling down the window.

Oh, and I had two keys: one for the ignition, and one for the doors, the glove box, and the back tailgate of the wagon.

(Yes, my first car was an AMC Hornet Sportabout.)

I'm trying to remember... I think mine opened hatch-like?

EDIT: Yeah. It didn't have a "tailgate" as much as it did a "liftgate."

Last edited:
I still have this as well. :)
But the only two carts I have that use it are B-17 Bomber and Bomb Squad.

--Patrick
I had/have all 4 games (the baseball one doesn't count). My favorite was Bomb Squad. B-17 Bomber was ok - not sure why the voice was some hillbilly yokel though. Never quite got the hang of Solar Sailer, and Space Spartans apparently left no impression on me at all.

As for regular games - My all time favorite was Tron: Deadly Discs. I also remember saving to be able to buy Utopia, which was one of the first sim games. My mom bought & withheld Snafu to force me to go to a junior high school dance. My mom originally bought the system & redeemed a coupon for a game called Kool-Aid Man. Then I also remember a bunch of 3P developer Imagic games, my favorite being Microsurgeon

Oh!! I forgot Night Stalker & Advanced D&D

Last edited:
I had/have all 4 games (the baseball one doesn't count). My favorite was Bomb Squad. B-17 Bomber was ok - not sure why the voice was some hillbilly yokel though. Never quite got the hang of Solar Sailer, and Space Spartans apparently left no impression on me at all.

As for regular games - My all time favorite was Tron: Deadly Discs. I also remember saving to be able to buy Utopia, which was one of the first sim games. My mom bought & withheld Snafu to force me to go to a junior high school dance. My mom originally bought the system & redeemed a coupon for a game called Kool-Aid Man. Then I also remember a bunch of 3P developer Imagic games, my favorite being Microsurgeon

Oh!! I forgot Night Stalker & Advanced D&D
I didn't have Microsurgeon, Bomb Squad or Space Spartans, but yes to everything else! I'm going to add Ladybug, Bump n' Jump, Burger Time, Frogger, Zaxxon, and He-Man to my list of favorites.

I have got to dig that system out of my dad's basement.

I had/have all 4 games (the baseball one doesn't count).
I'm not sure if you are talking about the standard baseball game (the one that could only say "Youuu're out" and which would glitch if you fouled a full count) but there was another, later baseball game that had speech specifically for the voice module that would've been #5. As for me, I did not enjoy Bomb Squad. That ambulance would come by and knock a part loose and I would get very angry. Same thing with Microsurgeon. The higher level were literally impossible to complete in the time allotted (unless you paused the game while you were moving, which would freeze the timer but you would keep moving. Shhh...). The reason the voice for B-17 sounded like a yokel was because of the stereotype that bomber personnel all talk like Gomer Pyle. I have Deadly Discs, and my life completely changed the day I discovered you could disable a Recognizer if you timed your throw correctly. As for Utopia, a buddy of mine would come over and we would play Utopia for hours. I was always the L island, he was always the R. I think I got good enough at Night Stalker that I overflowed the lives remaining at some point. That invisible robot was such a pain. And as for the two D&D games, well, the whole reason I bought an Intellivison II in the first place was to play Treasure of Tarmin. I sunk more hours into that game at the time than I did into watching cartoons, and this was all while playing it on a B&W television!
"We support you"
It's funny/tragic because he can't comprehend their support.

--Patrick