Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

My parents still have that pitcher, and my dad had that alarm clock until about 5 years ago. And we had an Oldsmobile station wagon with the back-facing rear seat.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm always fascinated by how some of these nostalgia things are influenced by demographics like geography and income. Like, I saw one a while ago about how only people of a certain age remember chalkboards, but it was only more affluent suburbs that replaced all their chalkboards with whiteboards at that time. My entire middle school experience and up was whiteboards, but I have a friend who's from a poorer area of the state, and she still had chalkboards in high school, despite being 16 years younger than I am.

Our cable box had an A and a B switch. You only got one or two for the entire house. You could try running a cable to another set in another room, but you might only get the channels on whatever setting the TV in the other room had on.

And I remember when it was a big deal that HBO had Star Wars showing in prime time - without commercial interruption.

I'm pretty sure I have a Disney's The Christmas Carol version of that read along book and vinyl record combo, and I know I have an Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas record back at my parents' place, in a box somewhere. I've also been known (recently even) to have early Cher music stuck in my head. Like, real early. I'm not sure this is really an indication of my age so much as it is an indication of my parents' taste.

Our cable box had an A and a B switch. You only got one or two for the entire house. You could try running a cable to another set in another room, but you might only get the channels on whatever setting the TV in the other room had on.

And I remember when it was a big deal that HBO had Star Wars showing in prime time - without commercial interruption.
My local cable company didn't bring out converter boxes until I was in junior high. Before that, it was just channels 2-13. They offered Showtime, but they used the trap method to keep non-subscribers out. They had to send a technician out to go up the pole to remove the trap when someone signed up.

Those tricks never worked for me, because by the time I was interested in descrambling TV, we had a satellite dish - one of the old school, 6-foot diameter dishes that get cemented into the ground and becomes a wonderful home for birds? One of those. The best I got (not that I'm complaining, honestly) was the free preview, softcore stuff on Spice and Spice II. Which reminds me, I wonder if those poor bastards that run Penzey's are still getting flipped off when they drive around town because their license plate says "Spice II." There was actually an article about it in the Madison paper back in '04/'05 when I lived there. I should certainly hope that by now people have wised up, but something tells me they probably haven't.

Those tricks never worked for me, because by the time I was interested in descrambling TV, we had a satellite dish - one of the old school, 6-foot diameter dishes that get cemented into the ground and becomes a wonderful home for birds? One of those. The best I got (not that I'm complaining, honestly) was the free preview, softcore stuff on Spice and Spice II. Which reminds me, I wonder if those poor bastards that run Penzey's are still getting flipped off when they drive around town because their license plate says "Spice II." There was actually an article about it in the Madison paper back in '04/'05 when I lived there. I should certainly hope that by now people have wised up, but something tells me they probably haven't.

You actually could view those channels if you were crafty enough. Move the dish, but then stop it right away, you'll get the scrambled feed displayed. Then you just gotta play with the tv settings.

Not that I did that as a kid...

GasBandit

Staff member
@Dei posted on facebook that her daughter is getting a phone as reward for doing chores.

Saw this, and figured "yeah, that's what will happen."