Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

Holy hell I was laughing hard at most of those.
Then I reread them out loud.
Now I am still trying to recover enough to breathe.

Cajungal

Staff member
Do you never laugh at stand-up comedy or comedy movies?

That's the way I look at it.
I like comedy that comes from a more natural place. A comedian who falls back on moldy, contrived material or a really forced persona (ex: Daniel Tosh) doesn't make me laugh, personally.

These kinds of texts could still happen naturally, though. My brother messes with my autocorrect all the time, changing out normal words for weird ones.

My autocorrect often changes "How's things?" to "How's thongs?"

Now, admittedly, I might be curious about how thongs are, but I don't think of it as a conversation starter, you know?

GasBandit

Staff member
Once I was texting (using vlingo to do voice recognition) one of my underlings to fix something she messed up, and what I said was "Take a look at Cricket when you get back" (she'd botched something for Cricket Wireless), but what my phone apparently heard was "Take a swig of Benadryl when you get back." Uhhhh no, I'm NOT TRYING TO DOPE YOU UP ON COUGH SYRUP

I use the Audio Text feature a lot on my phone, which has lead to some weird "translations". For example, it refuses to acknowledge the phrase "I may" and changes it to "I'm a" every single time. This is the same feature that spelled things like "Dhani Harrison" and "TARDIS" correctly, including capitalization, on the first try. My phone has strange priorities.

And while I agree that some of those are clearly fake, the fact that similar problems can and do happen naturally still make me laugh at them. A few weeks ago, one of my friends sent me a text asking if I had heard that Phillips Seymour Hoffman died. I swore I wrote "Yep", but my phone autocorrected it to "YOLO". She accused me of having a very morbid sense of humor before I realized what had happened.

What takes it off for me is that auto-correct tries to take misspelled words to words that you use frequently, and that it will give a suggestion if it is near something.

GasBandit

Staff member
I never once texted the word benadryl before that. I think most of these come from a phone insufficienly "trained" in your verbiage.

There are some that are just ???, even more so when using the audio translator, such as Celt Z's "I may" being switched to "I'm a," which could possibly be corrected by having a pause between the words instead of the typical speech pattern.

GasBandit

Staff member
There are some that are just ???, even more so when using the audio translator, such as Celt Z's "I may" being switched to "I'm a," which could possibly be corrected by having a pause between the words instead of the typical speech pattern.
Hasn't been a problem for me in that particular case, but that may be because a Texan drawl pronounces those two sentences completely different.

"I'm uh hard worker."

"Ah may go tuh the stowr"

Do you never laugh at stand-up comedy or comedy movies?

That's the way I look at it.
If that were presented as stand up or a movie, it would be terrible. I guess I just don't find them funny. The funny was when you imagined them actually happening.

I'm the opposite, knowing that ninety percent of them are faked takes some of the punch out of them.
Yes. Autocorrect automatically ignores anything in ALL CAPS since it assumes it must be an acronym.
So they're probably faked, but no less funny.

--Patrick