Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

First one...."It's a Saturday" - "No, it's a Wednesday". Posted on a Tuesday evening. Wha?

Eight one....Your ow fault for calling your kid Moon.

That's an unfortunate shadow/lighting combo.

CUHxMj2XIAAlctK.jpg
--Patrick

TRANS: "For a fair assessment, everyone will face the same test: you will have to climb that tree"

OUR EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM
"Everyone's a genius. But if you judge a fish by its tree-climbing capacities, he'll pass his whole life believing he's a complete moron."

I see it more as a criticism of trying to make everyone fit the same mold, rather than "wasting" time trying to isolate an individual's talent(s) in order to target development.

--Patrick

Except everyone isn't a genius. That's a nice ideal sentiment, but it isn't true.
I think there's some merit to it. Look at basketball as an example. The people who excel at that are a small fraction of the population. They may be gifted athletes, but as we saw with Michael Jordan's baseball career, that may not translate to excelling at another sport. If Basketball had never been invented, then Jordan probably would have been an acceptable athlete at something else. But within Basketball, he is the pinnacle.

Many people may have genius level talent at something that just simply wasn't invented or has yet to be invented. Steve Jobs was described constantly as a computer genius. If he was born in the Middle Ages, we may still know his name as an inventor, but he would have missed the era when his genius could be fully realized.

The word "Genius" also has some problems. It should really be "Brilliant" as there have been very few true geniuses in history. Albert Einstein, Sir Isaac Newton, Leonardo DaVinci

Except everyone isn't a genius. That's a nice ideal sentiment, but it isn't true.
I'm well aware, but different people do have different capabilities and qualities. Yes, sadly, one has to acknowledge that, to use Brave New World terms, some are Deltas and some are Alphas - but plenty of people would fare much better with a different school system. Some, like PatrThom or me, would have probably liked it if math lessons went 3x as fast, while others can't, won't, don't want to, and never will, understand anything more difficult than fractions. Doesn't mean that those people - as they're treated in our current system - are stupid. They may be very talented artists, or be far more handy than I am. A plumber and an architect have needs of different capabilities and qualities, yet becoming one is considered a success and the other, a failure, for far too many people still. Maybe more pronounced in a country like Belgium where over half of the population has some form of higher education since it's next-to-free. Identifying who is good at what is important, and pushing everyone to similar/identical schooling is backwards.

TRANS: "For a fair assessment, everyone will face the same test: you will have to climb that tree"

OUR EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM
"Everyone's a genius. But if you judge a fish by its tree-climbing capacities, he'll pass his whole life believing he's a complete moron."
I don't know why, but the fact this is in french makes me assume it's probably racist.

I don't know why, but the fact this is in french makes me assume it's probably racist.
It is. The guy administering the test represents Europe. The seal is an Eskimo, and we all know Eskimos can't climb trees (there's no trees on ice floes). The Elephant is Indian. The dog is Siamese. The fish is Japanese. The Penguin's a crook.

And the monkey? He's a slave climbing that tree to get its fruit for the European.

fade

Staff member
I'm well aware, but different people do have different capabilities and qualities. Yes, sadly, one has to acknowledge that, to use Brave New World terms, some are Deltas and some are Alphas - but plenty of people would fare much better with a different school system. Some, like PatrThom or me, would have probably liked it if math lessons went 3x as fast, while others can't, won't, don't want to, and never will, understand anything more difficult than fractions. Doesn't mean that those people - as they're treated in our current system - are stupid. They may be very talented artists, or be far more handy than I am. A plumber and an architect have needs of different capabilities and qualities, yet becoming one is considered a success and the other, a failure, for far too many people still. Maybe more pronounced in a country like Belgium where over half of the population has some form of higher education since it's next-to-free. Identifying who is good at what is important, and pushing everyone to similar/identical schooling is backwards.
No, I get the point of the cartoon, but it starts off with "Everyone", which is sentimental and untrue.

GasBandit

Staff member
Mostly, to me, it is because a bag just seems so much easier to puncture/rupture than a carton or a jug, and I know every canadian has a "milk pitcher" they just put the bag into to give it a rigid structure for pouring or something, but we americans like our (non-powder) drinks to come in their own rigid containers with resealable caps/lids. I mean, you cut that milk bag open, within 24 hours your milk is going to smell/taste like whatever else you've got in the fridge.

Mostly, to me, it is because a bag just seems so much easier to puncture/rupture than a carton or a jug, and I know every canadian has a "milk pitcher" they just put the bag into to give it a rigid structure for pouring or something, but we americans like our (non-powder) drinks to come in their own rigid containers with resealable caps/lids. I mean, you cut that milk bag open, within 24 hours your milk is going to smell/taste like whatever else you've got in the fridge.
At the same time, we used to get individual bagged milk with our lunches at school. I loved these a lot more than the old milk boxes because all you had to do was just stick the straw in. It was sort of like drinking a Caprisun.

For some reason I'm reminded of the 1981 Andy Kaufman movie "Heartbeeps". IIRC, a couple of guys on a boat have some beers in a capri-sun like bag.

I'm so freaking old :(

fade

Staff member
Wow, never saw bagged milk before. It just seems so problematic, but then I guess if it really was, it wouldn't be a thing.

I've seen it plenty in little tubs at restaurants or in pint/half-pint containers, it was just the first time I ever saw "regular" milk sold that was UHT.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I've seen it plenty in little tubs at restaurants or in pint/half-pint containers, it was just the first time I ever saw "regualr" milk sold that was UHT.

--Patrick
As you can see from the table there, Belgium has a 96.7% UHT milk consumption...And I seriously wonder where they got the other 3% from. The number for France is similar. For the Netherlands they suddenly give 20%, which seems exceedingly odd. I know it's less common in the north of the country, so I can understand it may be less than here, but 20% is ridiculous - in most supermarkets in the south of NL, you won't find anything else. I'm going to ask for input from our resident Dutch lady, @Amorous Eyes.

Seriously, why the hell would you buy milk you have to keep refrigerated and have to use within 2 weeks, I buy my milk per 24 liters (6-ish gallons) and just stock'm in a cupboard somewhere. (No, you can't make cheese from it. How often do you make cheese?)

GasBandit

Staff member
Seriously, why the hell would you buy milk you have to keep refrigerated and have to use within 2 weeks, I buy my milk per 24 liters (6-ish gallons) and just stock'm in a cupboard somewhere. (No, you can't make cheese from it. How often do you make cheese?)
Because we like milk that doesn't taste like somebody used it to clean a soldering iron.

Seriously, keeping my milk in a cupboard sounds horrifying. If I get milk straight from the dairy it will stay fresh for a month in the fridge. And not be gross.

As you can see from the table there, Belgium has a 96.7% UHT milk consumption...And I seriously wonder where they got the other 3% from. The number for France is similar. For the Netherlands they suddenly give 20%, which seems exceedingly odd. I know it's less common in the north of the country, so I can understand it may be less than here, but 20% is ridiculous - in most supermarkets in the south of NL, you won't find anything else. I'm going to ask for input from our resident Dutch lady, @Amorous Eyes.

The only time we use shelf milk is if we're building an underground bunker in case of zombies/societal collapse/ewoks