Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

I've never used the term "meteoric rise" for exactly the reason Tyson states. Meteors always go "down," never "up." I respect you, Nye, and I understand completely what you are saying, but "meteoric rise" falls in the same bucket as "300% smaller" and "burned by dry ice." They are commonly used phrases with understood meanings that are driven entirely by context rather than the actual definition of the word(s) involved.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know who any of these people are.
Roger Goodell is commissioner of the NFL.
Aaron Hernandez is a murderous thug who happened to be good at playing football, but will be spending the rest of his life in jail instead.

The joke is that the NFL tries to cover for its athletes wrongdoings, and barely gives them slaps on the wrist for heinous acts.

I only knew because the television during breakfast announced they would be discussing it on the news later that day.

--Patrick

So none of you ever even glance at news sites or your ISP's front page or read a twitter feed? It takes effort to be that intentionally out of touch.

So none of you ever even glance at news sites or your ISP's front page or read a twitter feed? It takes effort to be that intentionally out of touch.
When "News" starts focusing on worthwhile content and is less about entertainment and voyeurism, then I'll start paying attention again. I'm quite up-to-date on developments in the tech world, for instance. I just don't trust "The News" to actually bring me stuff that matters. These days, it's like they choose what to present based on what will get the most clicks/sell the most papers/generate the most views/get the largest audience and ad revenue, and that's not News, that's Facebook.

Also, my ISP is just a connection. I couldn't give a ck what their front page is. I pay them, they give me Internet. End of relationship.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I read news sites, but honestly I've only been to my ISP's website to find the number to call tech support and twitter is useless to me.

My front page is about:blank (technically not true, it's chrome's most visited grid) and I don't read twitter. Also, I don't care about sports, so even if I do come across sports related news, I don't exactly pay attention to it.

My front page is about:blank (technically not true, it's chrome's most visited grid) and I don't read twitter. Also, I don't care about sports, so even if I do come across sports related news, I don't exactly pay attention to it.
Outside of the U.S., I'd understand. But given events of the last couple of years, it's a bit hard to avoid hearing Roger Goodell's name without shutting out nearly all media.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one looking at the news around here, even in passing.

figmentPez

Staff member
Outside of the U.S., I'd understand. But given events of the last couple of years, it's a bit hard to avoid hearing Roger Goodell's name without shutting out nearly all media.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one looking at the news around here, even in passing.
First, I'm bad with names. Unless I see a name in familiar context repeatedly, I can easily forget it. Secondly, when I do look at news sites, I filter out sports news as if it were a block of ads. It doesn't stay in my long-term memory.

On my personal twitter feed, other than my friends, I follow a bunch of chefs, science, pop culture, and social justice people or organizations. In my "professional" feed, I follow a mostly things related to psychology, counseling, social work, and school counseling. I don't see many headlines unless someone else is commenting on them. However, I read my Flipboard feed at least twice a day which includes Al Jazeera, The Atlantic, AP, BBC, WSJ, NYT, Reuters, metropolitan US newspapers, and then some.

I still had no idea who Roger Goodell was.

As is mine. Don't tell me where to go when I start my browser, I already know where I'm gonna go...that's why I started my browser!
--Patrick
I don't always know where I'm gonna go when I start my browser. That's why I've got slashdot/xfinity/cnn/msnbc/espn/google news as my startup tabs. (And you couldn't pay me to watch either of CNN or MSNBC any more. :p)

Even if I close them all right away and go straight here, I've caught up a bit on what I may have missed while I was out or asleep.

fade

Staff member
My browser start page is gmail, but since I mostly use the Internet at work, my daily start page is whatever I left up when I went home. Which is usually this site.