[Question] Fun with drunk drivers

No, I didn't get hammered & roll through town.

So last night, after watching the UK football game at my sister's house, on the drive home across town I encountered not 1 but 3 (three!) drivers in front of me that if *I* were a cop, I would have pulled over for suspicion of drunk driving.

Time was shortly after midnight. Lexington, KY - 2nd largest city in KY, overgrown college town of just over 250K. UK students have been back about 3 weeks.

#1 - not far from my sister's. 4 lane divided road (secondary beltway around town). 45 mph limit. I drove up behind a pickup truck in the left lane doing 30-35. Some lane drifting but no danger at the time since we were the only cars in sight. I couldn't just blast past him because my intersection was just around the curve. At the light at the intersection, there is already a car sitting at the red signal arrow waiting. The thru traffic has a green light. The pickup slows down & stops at the intersection as if the light was red. 10 seconds later, his light changes to yellow. Once it goes green again he drives off with the rest of traffic while I make my turn.

#2 - about a mile down the road. 2-3 lane suburban road that has many subdivisions spurred off it as well as a small shopping center & some schools. Get behind a sedan that's driving without headlights / running lights (road is well-lit with streetlights all along). No other obvious signs of DUI, so this one may not have been, but probably still would have warranted a check.

#3 - almost home. 2-3 lane road in semi-industrial park. I had just turned onto the road off a major intersection when this guy pulls a California stop & hauls ass to turn in front of me coming out of a shopping center. No other cars in sight. It wasn't really a "I'd better hurry if I wanna pull out in front of this guy" thing... I was doing 35 and he had so little room that I had to swerve into the turn lane to avoid hitting him. I then had to follow him down the road at 10 mph below the limit until he reached his next intersection, where he ran the red turn arrow.

So - my question for the LEOs is (@Frank & @Officer_Charon) - what is the recommended course of action that I should take in these situations? #1 & #3 both exhibited dangerous behavior that could easily cause harm in heavier traffic. #2 maybe not so much since the road was lit, but still, not noticing your lights are not on could indicate impaired judgement.

After #1 but before #2 I began to think about things I could have done. I'd assume any options would start with a 911 call? Like I said, 250K with a decent size police force, but we're not crawling with police around every corner. I thought maybe a 911 call while tailing the pickup might have been in order. Hazard lights might lead to confrontation if the guy IS drunk. If he turns into a subdivision side road it could get dicey as well.

I don't know, I just hate it. I lost a good friend in high school when he was hit by a drunk driver while walking his date home at college. Another friend lost his Mom to a drunk driver, & the guy hasn't served a day in jail or paid reparations because his family is connected in their podunk fucking county. I'd just like to know what the best options are for ratting these fuckers out since, ya know, there's never a cop around when you need one :rolleyes:

If you have hands-free cell phone and have an auto-dial feature, program the state patrol and/or local police into your phone. Note the creep's license number, general make and model and location, and CALL 'EM IN.

I actually had that happen to me with a buddy as we were driving back to my place after a hockey game in downtown Milwaukee. Guy was doing the swerving thing ahead of us on I-94, and I called the Waukesha sheriff's department with the license, make and direction of travel.

GasBandit

Staff member
What jwhouk said. Make/model and if you can, license plate. 911 it in.

Also, for confused non-Americans, redthirtyone is talking about the University of Kentucky, not the United Kingdom. I doubt anybody in Kentucky cares about premiere league soccer.

911, license plate, what road you're on and what direction they're travelling and that's all. There's no need to follow them since that can put you in harms way. The dispatchers will let the guys on traffic or GD know and they'll do what they can.

Also, for confused non-Americans, redthirtyone is talking about the University of Kentucky, not the United Kingdom. I doubt anybody in Kentucky cares about premiere league soccer.
Thank you for the clarification I guess. While you may be mostly correct in your assumption (my brother in law calls it kickball), I watched the Man City - Hull City match yesterday morning after work, & had the Everton match on as I fell asleep. There's a lot of things I like about the EPL. If you could promise me every match day could be as exciting as the final match day in 2012 - with Man City scoring twice in the final 5 minutes to keep the championship out of Man U's hands - I would watch more religiously.

Relegation / promotion is an awesome idea as well. Imagine if baseball had this. Unfortunately the minor league system is not set up for such a concept.

But yes - I was talking about University of Kentucky american football.

911 and call it in. Only follow at a safe distance on main roads, if at all. I know that we get lookout calls constantly, but it's usually only when the suspect vehicle is being followed that we are usually able to follow up - at least during the day/evening. The road's just too crowded, and the suspect tends to get lost in the shuffle.

Now, if Skippy turns onto a side road, pass on that info, and be on your merry. There's no point in getting into a potential confrontation/ road rage incident.