Export thread

Fudge! Fudge, fudge fudgety fudge fudge, mother fudging fudge!!!

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

/sigh

jury duty in November... :okay:

David

David

I've been summoned twice and both times it was canceled when I called the night before.

Worst comes to worse, you could always pretend to be racist.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I came here expecting confectionery.

I leave unfulfilled.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Called twice. Canceled once, dismissed first day the second.

strawman

strawman

Called twice. First time dismissed after sitting in a room all day. Second time was selected, sat through the whole case, and then randomly chosen as the 13th member of the jury, and thus excused from deliberation.

It was a stupid case.

But, hey, free lunch and a show.

Shakey

Shakey

Never been called. :(

drifter

drifter

Once called, but excused. Once called, but my group wasn't selected for the jury pool. Once came in, sat most of the day, then excused. Once selected, went to trial, over that same day. Interestingly, once it was over, a bunch of people gathered around the prosecutors asking questions, but when the PDs asked if anyone had any questions for them, the jurors just kind of stared blankly, then turned their attentions back to the prosecuters. Kinda felt bad for them.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am dreading my first jury duty date. Mostly because A.) The court system is a sham & B.) It's going to be on my free-day I FREAKIN' KNOW IT!

Gared

Gared

To this day I've only been called for jury duty once, and it was for a state that I no longer lived in. My wife, on the other hand, has been called twice. First time she selected for jury duty, but then that trial was postponed, so they had her wait around another 3 days to see if they'd need to use her for any other cases, and then let her go after a week spend not doing anything; the second time she showed up and was all ready for the selection process to begin, but the judge had to recuse herself from the case and then the defendant pleaded guilty and they sent the jurors home after about... 20 minutes, all told.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

*snicker* Duty.

Gared

Gared

*snicker* Duty.
<sigh> Sounds like... Nick's prom night?

Williamjamesw

Williamjamesw

Called twice, never picked for a jury either time.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I have been called several times in NJ. The first few times we all reported the first day, went home after about 2 hours, then got told not to come for the rest of the week. I got selected for a jury once. The case was settled behind closed door later that day and we never had to actually sit for it. In CA I got a few notices, but I got out of it since I am primary caregiver to my kids.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Called once. Showed up in uniform. :troll:

evilmike

evilmike

Called once. Showed up in uniform. :troll:
?

Espy

Espy

Called once. Was out of the country. Got the letter when I got back into the country. 6 weeks after the trial.

I believe they put out a warrant for my arrest or something since I didn't show.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I believe they put out a warrant for my arrest or something since I didn't show.
I can check that for ya, right quick. *grins*

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I look forward to my first time on jury duty mainly because I know the law

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gusto

Gusto

Got called once but they had selected the entire jury before getting through even half of the candidates.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I look forward to my first time on jury duty mainly because I am the law
FTFY

General Specific

General Specific

Called once, picked for the jury, spent a week going to the trial, wound up having to acquit an obviously guilty robber because the state didn't have any evidence definitively tying the kid to the crime.

Espy

Espy

I can check that for ya, right quick. *grins*
Well, it was about 14 years ago in Texas so... :p

Seriously though, does that sound crazy? I really remember coming back from Europe and having a letter saying since I had failed to show there was a warrant for my arrest. They dismissed it as soon as I went to the courthouse to tell the clerk but I am 99% sure they issued a warrant.

Covar

Covar

Well, it was about 14 years ago in Texas so... :p

Seriously though, does that sound crazy? I really remember coming back from Europe and having a letter saying since I had failed to show there was a warrant for my arrest. They dismissed it as soon as I went to the courthouse to tell the clerk but I am 99% sure they issued a warrant.
Dude, that makes you a badass now!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Outlaw Espy-Coming soon to a theater near you.

BananaHands

BananaHands

So wait this isn't a thread about fudge?

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I was called and picked for a case. It should have been straight forward but this one woman was going against the rest of us. We came really close to being sequestered overnight.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So wait this isn't a thread about fudge?
Ralphie: Oooh fuuudge!
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ralphie: Oooh fuuudge!
Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!
I read that in the proper voice

Dei

Dei

I got called for jury duty right before I was about to move out of the state, so they said they'd forward it on. New state didn't try to call me until a week before I was about to move out of the county. New county was right on the ball, but I didn't actually have to go in (woo!). So hoping I don't get called again, because the county courthouse where I live is an hour away in a city that I do not know my way around at all, and I hate driving anywhere that I do not know.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I got called twice. Both times I sat and read until I was told I could leave. I guess it was still a paid day off, of sorts.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've never been called to jury duty... not sure if happy or sad.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I figure if I right enough anarchist papers they won't call me. And so far I have written...none. Well, time to write!

Tress

Tress

I have been called 5 times, never served. They always choose another group or cancel. I feel like the next time I get a summons it's definitely going to trial with my group, and it will take forever. You know, to balance it all out.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I've never been called to jury duty... not sure if happy or sad.
Be happy! It's super boring and they serve Pepsi once you're sequestered.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Called once, picked for the jury, spent a week going to the trial, wound up having to acquit an obviously guilty robber because the state didn't have any evidence definitively tying the kid to the crime.
how was he obviously guilty without any evidence? was he black or something?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

General Specific

General Specific

No, the circumstantial evidence heavily pointed to him, but the state lost the bullet, didn't get the money, didn't get the bag the money was in, and didn't have anyone that could positively identify that guy as the perp.

Tress

Tress

FYI, "ironic" racism is still racist... asshole.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I believe that was satire.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

YOU'RE SATIRE[DOUBLEPOST=1347781364][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I've been called twice. Called the first time, told they wouldn't need me. Second time I was selected, but ended up getting food poisoning after one day on the jury and had to call out a couple days, they ended up replacing me or something.

Tress

Tress

I was just trying to outdo him at his own game. So in a way my comment was satire too.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It was "satire."
air-quotes.jpg

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

Chocolate or GTFO.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

So for all the stressing I did for the last couple of months, I got called in once. Was for a forgery case. Called 60 or so of us in. Spent 2 hours going through the "does anyone know the defendant, his lawyer, the Commonwealth Atty's, etc etc etc..." thing. They picked 31 random numbers - I got picked. 20 minute break, come back, they pick 13 numbers of the 31 left - I didn't get picked. Go home.

I'm sure the next time won't go down so easy.

Dave

Dave

It's amazing how few times people picked for jury duty ever get put on a case. Most cases (at least here in the US) get plead out before they hit trial. But lawyers want to take it to the limit timewise because it causes pressure on the other side to plead - or because they want to have more time to come up with a better defense. Either way, they choose a lot of people for jury duty and damned few ever sit on a real jury. Of all the people I know that have been called to jury duty, only one ever actually sat through a trial.

fade

fade

Chocolate or GTFO.
That's racist, too.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That's racist, too.

Someone had to do it.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Correcting a horrible wrong.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I think NJ just hasn't figured out where I am, somehow. I got called twice when I was living in NYC, was out of country both times, been in NJ for 8 years, never been called once.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

NJ always wanted to call me up for the wrong county! I lived in Atlantic County and used to get notices for jury duty in Camden County (regular county court, not the US district court) sent to my address, but using a different town name because they shared the zip code.

Covar

Covar

Just got the letter in the mail. I report Jan 8th.

HowDroll

HowDroll

I wish I could be called for jury duty at this point in my life when I have pretty flexible responsibilities. I'm probably going to end up getting called in 10 years or so when I have a litter of brats running around :(

strawman

strawman

I wish I could be called for jury duty at this point in my life when I have pretty flexible responsibilities. I'm probably going to end up getting called in 10 years or so when I have a litter of brats running around :(
By then you'll be thinking, "Look guys, if I wanted to watch a bunch of kids squabble I'd hang out at home. Grow up and settle out of court rather than wasting our time here."

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've been called at least four times, and I've served on a jury once. I wasn't working or in school at the time, I got a free lunch at The Spaghetti Warehouse, we were done by 4pm; so not a bad way to spend a day.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Spoilered for controversial source.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Called twice, first in 1989, I was doing time, er, serving in the military in basic training in San Antonio. Second time was this year, spent the day at the courthouse, third trial they were picking for got back to the number I was, was asked what I thought about the case, told the district attorney that I thought he had a weak case since his only witness was a co-defendant and that he was probably just trying to make sure if he went down he was taking someone with him. Didn't get picked for some reason.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I must be doing something right, as I STILL haven't been called! I not sure why they wouldn't summon a 22 year old anarchist who hates the government and kind-of looks like the Unabomber, but whatevs!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I must be doing something right, as I STILL haven't been called! I not sure why they wouldn't summon a 22 year old anarchist who hates the government and kind-of looks like the Unabomber, but whatevs!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh, in theory, most heavy crimes have to come before a jury in Belgium as well. However, since that's pretty costly, and nobody is all that enthousiastic to do it, and juries tend to give out waaaayyy higher jail times than judges, practically all cases of "regular" versions of heavy crimes ("oh, just a murder of passion", "oh, he just touched those 11-year-old girls, he didn't really rape them", "oh, it's just €5.000.000 embezzled, but he still paid taxes on some of it!" - and I'm not kidding, unfortunately) get bumped down from felony to something I don't knwo the word for - stronger than misdemeanour, less than felony, not delict because it's criminal, not civil. Anyway, that way it's tried in front of a judge instead of a jury, but the defendant can only be given a maximum of 5 years in jail.

And yes, I can cite cases where people who "only" did any of the above three walked away with 1 year or less in jail time because of that. No jury would ever give a sentence that low to a child molester, but hey, nobody's complaining all too loudly. *sigh*

Jury duty may be crappy, but it can be worse.

phil

phil

I've been summoned twice and both times it was canceled when I called the night before.

Worst comes to worse, you could always pretend to be racist.
Yes...pretend

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

get bumped down from felony to something I don't knwo the word for - stronger than misdemeanour, less than felony, not delict because it's criminal, not civil.
Here in Georgia, the only thing that would come close would be calling it a "misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature," but all that really does is change the strata for punishments. Rule of thumb is only felonies can result in sentencing with incarceration longer than 1 year, and/or a fine larger than $1000.