[MMO] Final Fantasy XIV (we get to be cats!)

Talk to the vendors at your grand company place, one will have the option to request promotion, and you buy it with seals
Yeah that part i know, but im told there are no longer any promotions available. I ranked up through all the enlisted ranks and made 2nd Lt.. i wanted to see what the requirements to get to 1st were so I could start making my way to captain, and i got the message "Maelstrom recognizes your service, but there are no more promotions available".

I raced to 2nd Lt so I’d be eligible for housing. They gave me my squad and I’ve been farting around. I have no clue what I’m doing with them.

It’s likely tied to them.
Post automatically merged:

I just googled. We can’t buy any more ranks. And good news! We don’t have to pay any more seals for promotions!

Bad news, we need to keep paying them to send our guys out.

In order to reach 1st Lt your squad must successfully complete Crystal Recovery. It’s evidently a flagged mission.

In order to reach Captain, your squad must successfully compete Sapper Strike. It’s also flagged.

Last edited:
Upon promotion to officer/1st Lt. In Ul’dah the door to the instances room is right next to the counter where you get promoted.
Odd....Ill look into it when I get home. Got some teeth to drill today. Finished the quest line to get my artifact weapon though this morning. What a long pain that was.

I raced to 2nd Lt so I’d be eligible for housing. They gave me my squad and I’ve been farting around. I have no clue what I’m doing with them.

It’s likely tied to them.
Post automatically merged:

I just googled. We can’t buy any more ranks. And good news! We don’t have to pay any more seals for promotions!

Bad news, we need to keep paying them to send our guys out.

In order to reach 1st Lt your squad must successfully complete Crystal Recovery. It’s evidently a flagged mission.

In order to reach Captain, your squad must successfully compete Sapper Strike. It’s also flagged.
It's a little more complicated than this.

First, you need to be 2nd Lt. Then you need to complete the quest "Squadron and Commander", which requires you to be lvl. 47 or higher as a DoW/DoM. Look for it at your GC HQ.

From then, you need to recruit your squad. This requires you to do stuff to get a random recruit. Once you have enough to make a squad, you train them and send them on missions. Keep doing this until you complete "Crystal Recovery" with your squad. This will take a few days/weeks.

Eventually you'll unlock Command Missions. These involve you going into dungeons with three members of your Squad and doing a normal dungeon run. You need to do 5 different dungeons this way. This will unlock "Sapper Strike", which you can then complete for the final (current) rank.

All of this costs you GC Seals, so make sure you can fund it. But once you hit 45/50 with your team, you can do missions that give you high quality buffs to XP and such like your Free company can, so it's not JUST a Seals sink.

Odd....Ill look into it when I get home. Got some teeth to drill today. Finished the quest line to get my artifact weapon though this morning. What a long pain that was.
Doing the Zodiac weapons questline is a nightmare. The Anima weapons from Heavensward is much easier and more straightforward, I find.

I learned how to paint/dye it :)

9AF5523F-2EEC-4028-A547-6ADEB63C8BDB.jpeg

Now, what I’m thinking is super cute and all, the dude next door is probably all « ew, wtf is going on next door?! »

I’m officially a recruited subscriber now. If anyone here hasn’t signed up yet and would like to be recruited for some bonuses for each of us, please let me know :)

Congrats! Both of those are a ton of work.

I’m somewhere early Heavensward.

I’ve just entered Dravania. Im looking forward to this because i believe the Moogle tribe is here. I’d like to be a Pom Friend :)

In other, truly just my luck news, some FC members and I were fighting Extreme Garuda over and over for mounts and I won Nightmare. My inventory was full so it said that « I was unable to obtain the Nightmare Whistle ». Suuuuuuuucks.

Here’s a question. I think I’d like to work on a healer once I’ve leveled my Summoner. Should I give Scholar a try since it will already be leveled (I got my soul crystal) or is White Mage better?

Here’s a question. I think I’d like to work on a healer once I’ve leveled my Summoner. Should I give Scholar a try since it will already be leveled (I got my soul crystal) or is White Mage better?
Scholar is good. I main summoner, so I grabbed some gear and went at it with scholar for quick queues. Or if you're in Heavensward, you could try Astralogian out, as it starts at 30. AST plays very differently than scholar or WHM though.

Ask @Dirona about how WHM plays, as she mains that.

White mage is pretty much a pure healer - yes we can deal decent damage, but the build it built around heals with a cast time, both single target and AE. For pure amount of healing possible, I believe that white mage is technically better.
Scholar is a bit different - you have a healing pet that in the early levels does a lot of the work for you, and in later levels it is built more around shields I believe, rather than healing per se.

I play both, both are fun.

But if I was in your shoes, I'd try out scholar first because leveling alts is, IMO, boring.

I've played both to 50 and both seemed fine, but playing to 50 doesn't really mean much (and I've played so many healers in MMOs that they all seem the same to me at this point). At your level though, be sure your pet's abilities are set to manual when you heal or else your healing friend will just blow their cooldowns at dumb times. Did you do the Scholar quests yet?

I’ve done the early ones. I’m currently on the level 50 class gear and didn’t feel it was relevant as anything I buy in Ishgard will be better.

Once I’m 70 on Summoner, I can go back to them for sure.

I’ve done the early ones. I’m currently on the level 50 class gear and didn’t feel it was relevant as anything I buy in Ishgard will so incredibly outclass that as to be stupid.

Once I’m 70 on Summoner, I can go back to them for sure.
FTFY

Same with the 60 class gear. Just replace it with 255 gear from a merchant.

Anybody who's played between expansions before have insight as to when they'll do that for 70 gear and move all the current stuff to poetics?

FTFY

Same with the 60 class gear. Just replace it with 255 gear from a merchant.

Anybody who's played between expansions before have insight as to when they'll do that for 70 gear and move all the current stuff to poetics?
Probably not directly at launch. They don't want to jam the new content like what happened with Stormblood last time, where it was hundreds of people in a single instance all trying to click on an NPC to advance their quests and crashing. But not too soon after ether.

Probably not directly at launch. They don't want to jam the new content like what happened with Stormblood last time, where it was hundreds of people in a single instance all trying to click on an NPC to advance their quests and crashing. But not too soon after ether.
I remember hearing about that! And how people started forming lines and stuff on their own in self-regulation: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ffxi...r-players-forming-lines-to-do-quests.1393123/ and Kotaku: https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-s-new-expansion-off-to-a-predictably-1796183963

But wasn't the 255 lvl 60 gear gil-purchasable BEFORE Stormblood came out? Or am I remembering wrong?

I remember hearing about that! And how people started forming lines and stuff on their own in self-regulation: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ffxi...r-players-forming-lines-to-do-quests.1393123/ and Kotaku: https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-s-new-expansion-off-to-a-predictably-1796183963

But wasn't the 255 lvl 60 gear gil-purchasable BEFORE Stormblood came out? Or am I remembering wrong?
No, it wasn't. You needed 230 for Baelsar's Wall though, which required (at least) Eikon gear which required Lore tomestones (which are no long in use). The Level 60 gil gear came out with stormblood.

No, it wasn't. You needed 230 for Baelsar's Wall though, which required (at least) Eikon gear which required Lore tomestones (which are no long in use). The Level 60 gil gear came out with stormblood.
So it's basically going to be the same with Shadowbringers, how The Ghimlyt Dark requires 360, but the Genesis tomes give 390, so at release of Shadowbringers they're going to release some type of "white tier" gil gear that's 385?

And btw, I found The Ghimlyt Dark way easier than The Burn. The Mist Dragon at the end has a rough DPS check with the heads. You can survive it even if you don't make said check, but the fight sucks with all the getting frozen, and "luck-based" if you can get out of the way of some of the big AEs. Whereas those two soldiers at the end of The Ghimlyt Dark always seemed like pushovers. Ya the telegraph fades quick, but it's there. The only hard part about that fight IMO is avoiding the stupid canisters you can't push around.

So it's basically going to be the same with Shadowbringers, how The Ghimlyt Dark requires 360, but the Genesis tomes give 390, so at release of Shadowbringers they're going to release some type of "white tier" gil gear that's 385?

And btw, I found The Ghimlyt Dark way easier than The Burn. The Mist Dragon at the end has a rough DPS check with the heads. You can survive it even if you don't make said check, but the fight sucks with all the getting frozen, and "luck-based" if you can get out of the way of some of the big AEs. Whereas those two soldiers at the end of The Ghimlyt Dark always seemed like pushovers. Ya the telegraph fades quick, but it's there. The only hard part about that fight IMO is avoiding the stupid canisters you can't push around.
Ghimlyt Dark isn't difficult. A Requiem For Heroes DPS check is hard, especially since you have to do the first fight perfectly and THEN do the DPS check fight. I have 379 on my Red Mage and it was fairly difficult.

EDIT: for anybody who has the non-steam version, Square is giving away Heavensward for free if you don't already own it through buying Stormblood.

Last edited:
Spent an hour in The Burn last night with guildmates. They don't know how to dance very well. So by the time the post-mist phase came, the healer couldn't keep up, and was dying themselves frequently.

IMO Mist Dragon is hardest boss this expansion in the dungeons. Just kept throwing Rime Wreath every 10 seconds or so, and healer was getting murdered by the AEs they couldn't stay out of.

How do you tell your guildmates "btw man, you suck at movement"?

I can fly in three zones in Heavensward now. I have to say that it is lovely to not be restricted any more. I didn’t pick up all the optional aether current quests first time through. I’ll be more on top of that going forward.

I’ve now decided to set learning how to garden property as a goal. I screwed up my first few attempts.

I would also love to get a medium plot one day. Very far into the future lol. I’ve kind of crammed my place to bursting.

Letter from the Producer regarding Race decisions and Job stuff for Shadowbringers.

As you play through Shadowbringers, you’ll learn that both male Viera and female Hrothgar exist. While you won’t meet any in person, if we developers can find a way to address the various problems which are preventing us from implementing them, then perhaps someday you’ll be able to see them for yourself. I want to be clear that this does not mean it will eventually happen, and that I cannot make any promises at this time. I hope you will understand and bear with us.
Blegh... this really makes me feel like they should have just not done Au Ra for Heavensward. That the choice was due to technical limitations really doesn't change the fact that they really didn't understand how big of it deal it was going to be outside of Japan to not have both genders for both races and that this caught them off-guard, when they already went through this for Roes and Miqote in 1.0 and their counterparts in FF11.