Fantastic Four made Jessica Alba want to quit acting. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Jessica, it made me want to quit watching movies so I guess we're even.

Jessica Alba: 'Fantastic Four' Made Me Want to Quit Acting - iVillage

An experience with the director of Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer almost made her quit acting altogether.

"I wanted to stop acting. I hated it. I really hated it," Alba confesses in the December issue of Elle.

"I remember when I was dying in Silver Surfer," she continues. "The director was like, 'It looks too real. It looks too painful. Can you be prettier when you cry? Cry pretty, Jessica.' He was like, 'Don't do that thing with your face. Just make it flat. We can CGI the tears in.'"

It's the director's fault? And here I thought she was just a cruddy actress. You've been redeemed Jessica.

J

Jiarn

How was that any different than that Blue Sea or whatever film where the camera was on her ass 95% of the screen.

"Ok Jessica, now we're going to zoom in your ass"

"Again?"

"Now now Jessica, we'll CGI out the tears later"

Regardless of Alba's acting skill, I think she has legitimate reason to be pissed off by that comment. It's one thing to be objectified in a scene where the whole point is to be objectified. But when they're still blatantly objectifying you when you're trying to do a serious scene about being sad, that'd make me furious.

Regardless of Alba's acting skill, I think she has legitimate reason to be pissed off by that comment. It's one thing to be objectified in a scene where the whole point is to be objectified. But when they're still blatantly objectifying you when you're trying to do a serious scene about being sad, that'd make me furious.
Character actors like Tim Curry and Bruce Campbell have to deal with shit like this all the time, as well as virtually every actorSLASHmodel until they've hit it big. It's an unfortunate truth, but sometimes when your hired as an actor, your only being hired to look pretty and do what the director wants or to act out the same character you've been playing your entire career. That doesn't mean your not a skilled actor, but it does mean you need to do what your being payed to do. If you don't like it, go independent.

J

Jiarn

Character actors like Tim Curry and Bruce Campbell have to deal with shit like this all the time, as well as virtually every actorSLASHmodel until they've hit it big. It's an unfortunate truth, but sometimes when your hired as an actor, your only being hired to look pretty and do what the director wants or to act out the same character you've been playing your entire career. That doesn't mean your not a skilled actor, but it does mean you need to do what your being payed to do. If you don't like it, go independent.
They come more independant than Bruce Cambell? H-uh....

J

Jiarn

I thought he purposefully avoided mainstream movies... only really going on Sam Raimi film for blockbusters.

Jessica Alba can act?!

Huh. Learn something new every day.
I know this may sound silly, but maybe we haven't seen any good acting from her because directors are holding her back (like the story in the interview)? I doubt, but it's possible.

There's a difference between Megan Fox being hired for an unnecessary part in the story, where it's not only obvious but inescapable that she's there as a sex object, and being hired to play Sue Storm, who by ever right should be an actual character, whom you are actually supposed to play. This level of gross objectification is stuff that needs to stop, and the only way it has any chance of stopping is if people are vocal about it. Yes, even blonde bimbos, yes even if they can't actually act.

There's a difference between Megan Fox being hired for an unnecessary part in the story, where it's not only obvious but inescapable that she's there as a sex object, and being hired to play Sue Storm, who by ever right should be an actual character, whom you are actually supposed to play.
To be fair, until the 90's, wasn't Susan Storm defined ONLY as being Richard's wife/girlfriend? She didn't do anything useful except hide and occasionally shield people until they got a writer on board who actually realized that the ill-defined ability of "making invisible barriers" was far more powerful than anyone realized. Then she was able to become a full-on Action Girl and stand on her own two feet as a character.

To be fair, until the 90's, wasn't Susan Storm defined ONLY as being Richard's wife/girlfriend? She didn't do anything useful except hide and occasionally shield people until they got a writer on board who actually realized that the ill-defined ability of "making invisible barriers" was far more powerful than anyone realized. Then she was able to become a full-on Action Girl and stand on her own two feet as a character.
Yup. 'Cuz justfiying modern sexism with old sexism totally makes it kosher.

1984 Malice story arc

Who said anything about justifying or kosher? This is just explaining that there's precedence for this portrayal of Susan Storm.

1984 Malice story arc[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the one.

Who said anything about justifying or kosher? This is just explaining that there's precedence for this portrayal of Susan Storm.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I never said it was right what they were doing, only why they probably did it. It's kinda like why 90% of depictions of Scott Summers portray him as an annoying douche bag: Most of the time, he IS portrayed as such in the comics.

True story, I was an extra on this movie (They filmed it near my university, free food, and get paid to sit around and study). I was fired because I said it looked like it was going to be a piece of shit....

right in front of the director.
What was the movie?

True story, I was an extra on this movie (They filmed it near my university, free food, and get paid to sit around and study). I was fired because I said it looked like it was going to be a piece of shit....

right in front of the director.
What was the movie?[/QUOTE]

Fantastic Four rise of the Silver Surfer shot in rainy Vancouver.[/QUOTE]

K, wasn't sure. It could have been the OTHER shitty Fantastic Four movie starring Jessica Alba.

Status
Not open for further replies.