Fallen Empire (my band)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I record and mix everything in Logic Pro then master it in Waveburner. We use Mainstage to play live. It's all part of Logic Studio.

lol, thanks man! I gotta tell you, the live stuff is really evolving. We are playing Desperate Horses for the first time at our next show (Saturday the 17th of July), and it's honestly probably our best song. I can't wait to record with these guys and do some new material.

Dave

Staff member
Damn, I just had "The World Glow" come up on full random on my 14 gigs of music on my iPhone. Damn I love that song!

MOAR!!!!

:D
I still say that this song would make a killer track in a movie as either an action sequence or the ending credits.

So we got our Halloween show booked, which is awesome, I really wanted to do a Halloween show this year.
Line up is still being figured out, the one band that we all didn't want on there cancelled and we got a band we are good friends with on the set.
I did this little poster for it which will be modified once we get the final line up done:

We are playing our full set now:

The Echo
Desperate Horses
Creeper
It Takes Away
A Fly to Honey
The Devil in You
The World Glow
Believer

Which ends up being about 45 minutes total. Our Bass player and I are going to work out some creepy opening bit before The Echo that will start us off right.
Just though I'd shoot an update out here for those interested.

We are gonna try again (I think I mentioned that we recorded the first one BUT the audio out from the board was just my vocals, keyboards and drums? WTF soundguy...) and see if we can make it work. We really want to get some live stuff recorded.

Also: We need costumes. I am totally drawing a blank on what would be a good stage costume that won't be to annoying to have on when all hot and sweaty.

Dave

Staff member
Have you posted all of these songs? There are three I don't recognize:

The Echo
Creeper
Believer

iTunes?

I think they are all in this thread, except maybe Creeper, it's a pretty straightforward rock song and the recording is still very, very rough.

As a note for recording drums...

Consider looking into the Glyn Johns method. He's a dude that engineered some Led Zepplin albums. If you , it will take you a you tube clip I found that, while claiming to be the GL method, does a good of approximating it using three relatively cheap mics. In that clip, the guy uses an MXL 991, Sterling Audio ST55, and what looks like a Blue Microphones Ball (similar to the snowball USB mic I use for acoustic recording).

You can find the MXL mic in a set with a large diaphragm condenser mic for around $60. You can get them new for $100 at Guitar Center.

I recently bought one of the Sterling Audio ST55s used in that video and have been really happy with it for electric guitar and vocals. Granted, I've only used it for scratch vocal takes, but I really dig it. I found mine used for $90, but they normally go for a little more than that.

I have no experience with the Blue Microphone Ball mic, but they are relatively cheap new, so I imagine they are quite affordable used. The standard mic used for bass drums runs $250, and as I don't have regular access to drums, I won't be buying one any time soon.

An SM57 is a good snare mic and can be had for $60-$80 used.

So, you don't need to spend a TON of money on mics. More than likely, you could get the same mics he used in that video for around $300 ($75 for the MXL set, $75 for an SM57, $100-$150 for the ST55. Is it top of the line? No. But, it will get the job done and, based on that video and other recordings I've heard, will get it done well. The real question is whether or not that drum sound would work for your music.

Thankfully our new drummer actually records his drums quite a bit and he has a super nice set of mics so when we do get around to doing some new recordings he's gonna knock it out of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.