Enjoy your fourth

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cvgurau

Fireworks at the beach: Pretty awesome.

Hanging out with my brother and his girlfriend because I didn't go camping with the guys: Decidedly LESS awesome. :eek:rly: :angry: :humph:

I baked a cake.

It's all I ever seem to do for holidays. :tear:

It's one helluva delicious cake though. It's lemon.

Everybody better enjoy the shit out of their independence day, or Uncle Sam will come and kill you in your sleep. :twisted:

North_Ranger

Staff member
Lucky guys. Our independence day is on December 6th, and usually involves watching old war movies and criticizing the shit out of people's dresses in live-TV coverage of the President's Ball.

here is myself. Reciting the following speech from cinema great Independence Day.

President Thomas Whitmore: Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. \"Mankind.\" That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: \"We will not go quietly into the night!\" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

S

Scarlet Varlet

Though I saw ID4, I don't have any idea where Independence actually comes from. Earth wasn't being colonised, people were going to be exterminated. Holocaust would be more appropriate. Ah well, don't let them shoot any of that green shit at you.

Scarlet Varlet said:
Though I saw ID4, I don't have any idea where Independence actually comes from. Earth wasn't being colonised, people were going to be exterminated. Holocaust would be more appropriate. Ah well, don't let them shoot any of that green shit at you.
Because the film itself took place on Independance Day?

Thomas Jefferson (4 July 1776) said:
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. --Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by the Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
And that's why you can post all the crap you can on this board. Just remember that, kids.

jwhouk said:
And that's why you can post all the crap you can on this board. Just remember that, kids.
Sorry fella, but this forum isn't american only. 'Sides, this forum doesn't need to uphold the first amendment, go read the registration form :3

Denbrought said:
jwhouk said:
Sorry fella, but this forum isn't american only. 'Sides, this forum doesn't need to uphold the first amendment, go read the registration form :3
Such a clueless youngling. Server is hosted in the US (to the best of my knowledge), so American law applies to it's activity.

It also means that by and large it won't be shut down or blocked by the authorities for discussing topics the government finds disagreeable. THAT is what the First Amendment is about.

DarkAudit said:
Denbrought said:
jwhouk said:
Such a clueless youngling. Server is hosted in the US (to the best of my knowledge), so American law applies to it's activity.

It also means that by and large it won't be shut down or blocked by the authorities for discussing topics the government finds disagreeable. THAT is what the First Amendment is about.
Same thing would happen if it was hosted in a plethora of other countries, although I did misunderstand at which side (host vs. user) we were talking about.

Don't be so sure of yourself. I can prove my point thusly:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Where in your "plethora" is such a right so explicitly guaranteed? Spain? History would show otherwise.

Currently, not historically. Ours is still a new country.

And technically, because Edrondel owns the board, and it being his private property, can dictate anything going on in it. The law just prevents the government from taking control.

Clearly, Dave has too much power. He supercedes the U.S. government. Celebrate your independence! Rebel! REBEL!

I

Iaculus

Waaait... we're rising against the mods again?

Do I get to profiteer? Huh? Do I? Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?

DarkAudit said:
Spain? History would show otherwise.
:rofl: I thought we were being serious, but with you having said that, oh man. Go eat a liberty pie and forget what your country did from the fifties and on in Spain.

Also, run this through a translator or something. The main difference is that we have a right to honour and intimacy.
1. Se reconocen y protegen los derechos:
1a. A expresar y difundir libremente los pensamientos, ideas y opiniones mediante la palabra, el escrito o cualquier otro medio de reproducción.
1b. A la producción y creación literaria, artística, científica y técnica.
1c. A la libertad de cátedra.
1d. A comunicar o recibir libremente información veraz por cualquier medio de difusión. La Ley regulará el derecho a la cláusula de conciencia y al secreto profesional en el ejercicio de estas libertades.

2. El ejercicio de estos derechos no puede restringirse mediante ningún tipo de censura previa.

3. La Ley regulará la organización y el control parlamentario de los medios de comunicación social dependientes del Estado o de cualquier ente público y garantizará el acceso a dichos medios de los grupos sociales y políticos significativos, respetando el pluralismo de la sociedad y de las diversas lenguas de España.

4. Estas libertades tienen su límite en el respeto a los derechos reconocidos en este Título, en los preceptos de las Leyes que lo desarrollan y, especialmente, en el derecho al honor, a la intimidad, a la propia imagen y a la protección de la juventud y de la infancia.

5. Solo podrá acordarse el secuestro de publicaciones, grabaciones y otros medios de información en virtud de resolución judicial.

No America = No Internet.

Most of the research that led to computer science was done either in the US or by means initiated by the US.

And, the basic precept of the internet - the free exchange of information - wouldn't exist in a society that doesn't protect the press and speech. (Don't believe me, ask any Chinese or Iranian national.)

And, by the way, if Tom Jefferson were around today, I suspect he would write it this way:

"We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men and women are created equal, and they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, among which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

I hung out in the hospital E.R. all day, and watched people come in with all kinds of fireworks related injuries.

It's truly a spectacular time of year.

S

Scarlet Varlet

A lot of people are mucking about with fireworks outside. Sounds like a considerable skirmish is taking place. I hope they keep away from where I live. Quite a collection of dry pine needles on the shingles hereabouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.