Export thread

English Premier League Discussion Thread

Dave

Dave

You will soon see a link at the top for an English Premier League game. This is the thread we will use to discuss stuff with it![DOUBLEPOST=1375577032,1375576708][/DOUBLEPOST]Rules:

You guess what the score of the games will be.

• 0 points - Totally wrong
  • 1 point - Guess the match winner.
  • 2 points - Guess the match winner and the goal differential
  • 3 points - Get the entire score right.
Winner at the end of the season will get a prize that I haven't thought up yet. But it'll be fun!

klew

klew

Here's a fun commercial promoting NBC carrying EPL matches this season.

best line: Wales? Wait, that's another country? Yes and no.

Timmus

Timmus

Go on Wigan!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh man, there's going to be so many unexpected variables this season.

Will David Moyes actually be able to match Sir Alex's management ability, or will Manchester United start tanking? Will they actually pull off the impossible and sign Fabregas?
Will Arsenal actually be able to come together and start competing, or will they be a team full of pretty underachievers again?
Will Liverpool keep Suarez? Will it matter?
Will Gareth Bale stay at Tottenham? And if he does, will he still be able to play at the same level?
Will Manchester City's new signings gel with the old players? Bayern Munich didn't have much trouble making them look overpriced.

This is going to be an awesome season. :D

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Gonna troll this and guess 0-0 for every game

Covar

Covar

Here's a fun commercial promoting NBC carrying EPL matches this season.

best line: Wales? Wait, that's another country? Yes and no.
You can have ties in Football. :mad:

The best line is the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys again.[DOUBLEPOST=1375658243,1375658181][/DOUBLEPOST]
Gonna troll this and guess 0-0 for every game
I don't think Soccer could handle so many exciting games!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'll just leave this here...

Dave

Dave

Well, I guess I'm going to win this by default since nobody else is playing. :(

Covar

Covar

Matches don't start until the 17th. I'm still developing my "lack of soccer knowledge" strategy for picking teams and scores.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Did you see that ludicrous display last noight?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Why the Premier League? We don't have that many Brits here. I actually think Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium are all three better-represented here. Damn Limeys. :p

Dave

Dave

Why the Premier League? We don't have that many Brits here. I actually think Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium are all three better-represented here. Damn Limeys. :p

It's the one I knew hadn't started yet and it has a lot of famous teams that Americans can use as a frame of reference.

I can put in a whole bunch of different leagues if I want.

• AT Öster. Bundesliga 2013/2014
  • CH Swiss Super League 2013/2014
  • CZ Gambrinus Liga 2013/2014
  • DE 1. Bundesliga 2013/2014
  • DE 2. Bundesliga 2013/2014
  • DE 3. Liga 2013/2014
  • DE DFB-Pokal 2013/2014
  • DE Regionalliga Bayern 2013/2014
  • DE Regionalliga Nord 2013/2014
  • DE Regionalliga Nordost 2013/2014
  • DE Regionalliga Südwest 2013/2014
  • DE Regionalliga West 2013/2014
  • ENG Premier League 2013/2014
  • ENG English Championship 2013/2014
  • ENG League One 2013/2014
  • ENG League Two 2013/2014
  • ENG League Cup 2013/2014
  • ES Primera División 2013/2014
  • ES Segunda División 2013/2014
  • FIFA FIFA Confed. Cup 2013
  • FR Ligue 1 2013/2014
  • HR 1. HNL 2013/2014
  • IT Serie A
  • NL Eredivisie 2013/2014
  • NO Tippeligaen 2013
  • PL Ekstraklasa 2013/2014
  • PT Primeira Liga 2013/2014
  • RO Liga 1 2013/2014
  • RU Russian Premier League 2013
  • SCT Scottish Premier League 2013/2014
  • SR Serbian Superliga 2013/2014
  • SV Allsvenskan 2013
  • TR Süper Lig 2013/2014
  • UA Ukrainian Premier League 2013/2014
  • Europa League 2013/2014 (ab Gruppen-Phase)
  • Champions League 2013/2014 (ab Gruppen-Phase)
  • WM 2014 (ab Gruppen-Phase)

Covar

Covar

No NFL? You know, real football. :troll:

Dave

Dave

I know, right?!? There is an addon that does that, but you have to enter everything by hand - teams, scores, matchups - while this one does it outright with an API. If I could find an NFL one, you damn well bet it'd be up here!

jwhouk

jwhouk

No MLS?

Dave

Dave

Alas, no. I truly think it has to do wit the way that the US guards the rights to their sports franchises.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I can't decide if Arsenal are going to be a good team challenging for a European place, or a mediocre team hovering around mid-table.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I can't decide if Arsenal are going to be a good team challenging for a European place, or a mediocre team hovering around mid-table.
They always try to walk it in.

bhamv3

bhamv3

They always try to walk it in.
Yes, but sometimes they're quite good at it.

Oh wait, you're quoting the IT Crowd, aren't you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes, but sometimes they're quite good at it.

Oh wait, you're quoting the IT Crowd, aren't you.
OOH, YA TINK?

Dave

Dave

League starts in 2 days! TWO DAYS! Get yer picks in!

Covar

Covar

This game is stupid, the league is stupid, and the sport is stupid. :fu:

Cog

Cog

That could be said about almost any sport.

Dave

Dave

I think it's just peachy.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Well.

That answer my question about Arsenal.

Dave

Dave

Well.

That answer my question about Arsenal.
They got screwed. The second penalty kick was a bullshit call.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 4

GasBandit

GasBandit

What was Wenger thinking, sending Walcott on that early?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Okay, you got me on this one. Not gonna guarantee I'm gonna be able to keep up with the fixtures and whatnot.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Okay, you got me on this one. Not gonna guarantee I'm gonna be able to keep up with the fixtures and whatnot.
If you've got NBC Sports Network, you're set. All matches are either on TV or live streaming. Plus a Match of the Day wrap-up at 11pm.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I have it - and I don't. NBCSN is a digital tier station, which means I can only get it on the DVR converter TV, which is in the other room.

It drove me NUTS during the hockey season when they did the switch, because I can't watch hockey on the computer.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I have it - and I don't. NBCSN is a digital tier station, which means I can only get it on the DVR converter TV, which is in the other room.

It drove me NUTS during the hockey season when they did the switch, because I can't watch hockey on the computer.
I think the rules are different with other sports. With the Live Extra app or the NBC sports site, you just need to log in to confirm you have a provider that carries the network. That's how I was able to watch F1 from work even though the hotel doesn't provide NBC Sports Network.

With the TV, laptop, tablet, and phone, I can have four or more matches on live all at once. :)

bhamv3

bhamv3

Fuck you Cardiff, and fuck you Manchester City. Of all the matches this week, I would've thought that would be the surest one.

Bah.

Dave

Dave

I got 3 points right out of the box in week #2 with Fulham/Arsenal. After that it was all downhill. Maybe I DON'T like this game!

bhamv3

bhamv3

The big risk I've taken for week 3 is that I've wagered that Tottenham will beat Arsenal. If they do, though, Wenger might actually face the sack, and then I have no idea who Arsenal think they can get as a manager who'd be better than Wenger. Which means Arsenal will probably go on an unstoppable downward spiral this season.

Bubble181

Bubble181

The big gambles I'm taking this week are that I'm guessing the alphabetically first team will win every time. So far, this seems to work out better than actually trying to evaluate their qualities on the field.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Let's see now... fuck you

Arsenal
Tottenham
Liverpool
Manchester United
Norwich
Southampton

Seriously, all of you messed up some dead cert picks for me. Assholes.

Oh, also, by extension fuck you Wayne Rooney, injured asshole.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dammit Chelsea, get it together. And you, Man City.

bhamv3

bhamv3

FOR FUCKS SAKE LIVERPOOL

bhamv3

bhamv3

FOR FUCKS SAKE MANCHESTER UNITED!!!!!

I'm never going to catch @klew at this rate.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I've decided the Manchester clubs are conspiring against me.

bhamv3

bhamv3

So, originally I'd predicted a 1-0 for Manchester United against Arsenal. Then, I thought Arsenal are doing so well this season so far, while Man Utd are struggling a bit, so I changed it to a win for Arsenal.

And then Man Utd win 1-0.

I hate everyone.

mikerc

mikerc

So, originally I'd predicted a 1-0 for Manchester United against Arsenal. Then, I thought Arsenal are doing so well this season so far, while Man Utd are struggling a bit, so I changed it to a win for Arsenal.

And then Man Utd win 1-0.

I hate everyone.
Quit yer bellyaching - you're still top. You know how many points I got this round? Fricking TWO! :mad:

Just when I was starting to feel good about pressurising you & Klew.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You know, Bhamv, you could take a week or two off...

bhamv3

bhamv3

You know, Bhamv, you could take a week or two off...
I've entered picks all the way up to week 20. :D
Basically I've picked winners based on reputation, and then a day or two before match day I'll fiddle with my picks based on injuries, form, etc.

However, I think I'm going to start predicting more Manchester City losses from now on.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Is week 13 not updating properly for anyone else? The Norwich-Crystal Palace, Cardiff-Arsenal, and ManC-Swansea matches aren't registering scores for me. I definitely entered picks or them, but they're not showing the scores I got for my predictions.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Everything's updated for me.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ah, now it works, thanks.

mikerc

mikerc

Dammit @bhamv3 stop getting more points than me!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Dammit @bhamv3 stop getting more points than me!
I'm trying! I mean, this week I predicted Everton would beat Manchester United!

Looking back, that wasn't the smartest prediction.

EDIT: Wait, sorry, I read that wrong. I predicted Manchester United would win, and instead they lost. FUCK YOU MANCHESTER UNITED!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Well this was not a good week. Pretty much the only team that performed as I expected they would was Liverpool.

Bubble181

Bubble181

DAMMIT ARSENAL. WHAT THE HECK DO YOUTHINK YOU'RE DOING

Sorry about that. Anyone up for tea?

(6-3. Seriously?)

bhamv3

bhamv3

DAMMIT ARSENAL. WHAT THE HECK DO YOUTHINK YOU'RE DOING

Sorry about that. Anyone up for tea?

(6-3. Seriously?)
Yeah, ouch. I wonder if anyone managed to predict that score. Worldwide.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wait - a PL game had a 6-3 final score???????

Bubble181

Bubble181

Wait - a PL game had a 6-3 final score???????
With the top team losing, yes. The outcome isn't that rare (just had a 7-0 in Belgian PL a few weeks ago) but losing that badly is pretty...abnormal for a team like Arsenal. Their defense and keeper aren't supposed to go and have a coffee during the game.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I still remember the days when Arsenal were primarily a defensive team. Tony Adams must be rolling over in his grave pub right now.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Erm... is the system buggering up or do I really have a 24 point lead at the top of the table?

Not gloating, honestly wondering. It looks like @klew didn't enter his picks this week?

EDIT: I missed some words.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I just wanna know how you're managing to get the scores right. I've got no feel for the game, and on a head-to-head basis (if I'm reading the table right) I'm kicking your butt three ways to last Sunday.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I evaluate the attacking and defending abilities of each team, and guess accordingly.

I will admit a lot of it is luck though.

klew

klew

I'm guessing completely based on reputation, I'm not studying team performance this season, and I didn't make any predictions for the previous week

jwhouk

jwhouk

I actually didn't make predictions - what, the first week or two of the schedule?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh for fuck's sake Manchester United.

Sack Moyes already and beg Alex Ferguson to come back.

Dave

Dave

You can now find this under the "Games" tab.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm pretty much stuck in 4th place because of my late start.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm pretty much stuck in 4th place because of my late start.
There's still a lot of football to be played, you never know.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh. Not enough matches left for me to catch up to jwhouk realistically, maybe just barely for him to catch up to klew. mroosc could conceivably catch up to you if he keeps at least his current level of good guesses and you really mess up. As long as all five of us keep playing, the only close call is klew and mroosc. The rest can only get interesting if someone has a massive bad luck streak.

bhamv3

bhamv3

In hindsight, predicting an Arsenal win away at Liverpool now seems really stupid.

mikerc

mikerc

In hindsight, predicting an Arsenal win away at Liverpool now seems really stupid.
Right there with you Bhamv

mikerc

mikerc

FFS Man U!

bhamv3

bhamv3

FFS Man U!
I'm starting to think Man Utd's problem may be the lack of a serious midfield enforcer. They seem to give away possession too easily, and can't get it back, which means they leak goals.

Roy Keane would never have put up with this crap.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm kinda throwing up my hands at this at the moment. What with the weather and other issues over in the UK, trying to guess the fixtures for the EPL aren't really that big of a deal. On top of that, I think bhamv could probably put down nil-nil for every single remaining match and still end up winning.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm kinda throwing up my hands at this at the moment. What with the weather and other issues over in the UK, trying to guess the fixtures for the EPL aren't really that big of a deal. On top of that, I think bhamv could probably put down nil-nil for every single remaining match and still end up winning.
Nil-nil for every guess would be worth at least three or four points every week. :p

Bubble181

Bubble181

I take solace in knowing that, on a points-per-match-valuated basis, I'm second behind Bhamv only :p

mikerc

mikerc

I take solace in knowing that, on a points-per-match-valuated basis, I'm second behind Bhamv only :p
I think tegid may want a word with you...

Bubble181

Bubble181

I think tegid may want a word with you...
foreigners don't count :p

tegid

tegid

Foreigners relative to what? :confused: Oh, that's the joke, isn't it?

You could say that people who only played for a few weeks don't count, that would be fair. Or people from countries that are actually good at soccer :p
:hide:

jwhouk

jwhouk

...That still doesn't discount me.

(My cousin-in-law is a coach for the men's national team.)

Bubble181

Bubble181

Foreigners relative to what? :confused: Oh, that's the joke, isn't it?
Naaaaaaah :p

And hey, I think Belgium's doing pretty good these days in soccer :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh for fuck's sake, Arsenal.

mikerc

mikerc

Oh for fuck's sake, Arsenal.
Heh, I took Everton to win there, didn't think it'd be by 3 goals though. Arsenal have been fucking dire away from home against the other 4 teams in the top 5, it's pretty much why they're not title contenders.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Heh, I took Everton to win there, didn't think it'd be by 3 goals though. Arsenal have been fucking dire away from home against the other 4 teams in the top 5, it's pretty much why they're not title contenders.
I figured they'd lose against the other big 4 teams, I didn't know teams like Everton would get in the act too.

mikerc

mikerc

I figured they'd lose against the other big 4 teams, I didn't know teams like Everton would get in the act too.
Everton are going great right now, I like their chances of beating Arsenal to the last CL spot.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Whoa, I go away for a week and I come back to find my lead's been cut to eight points. Looks like the game's back on, boys! :D

Also, in other news, Moyes has been sacked.

Covar

Covar

I'll just stick this here so as to avoid creating a second thread about soccer.

Piotyr

Piotyr

If only there was already a 2014 World Cup soccer thread...

bhamv3

bhamv3

Last round of matches for the season is coming up.

I'm nervous.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You and the guy in 2nd should just go oppo on everything.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You and the guy in 2nd should just go oppo on everything.
I may or may not have predicted a loss for Manchester City. :D

I just kinda want Liverpool to win the title, is all.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Well with MC dispatching AV today, & with the goal differential so far in City's favor, there is really only one scenario for which Liverpool can win the championship. (Hint: it includes a MC loss vs West Ham). I just happened to be awake & watching the Liverpool game the other day when they fell apart vs Crystal Palace. How the game shifted from Liverpool in a flurry to run up the score, to scratching just to save a point, was just amazing.

On that note, the way the EPL handles the last day of the season is so exciting. All 10 games taking place at once so no one has a competitive advantage is brilliant. Two years ago when City scored those two late goals to win the championship was wonderful. If you could guarantee me that kind of excitement I would watch soccer all the time.

Not to mention the entire concept of relegation. Imagine if the Cleveland Browns were forced out of the NFL because they suck so bad :D

bhamv3

bhamv3

Well with MC dispatching AV today, & with the goal differential so far in City's favor, there is really only one scenario for which Liverpool can win the championship. (Hint: it includes a MC loss vs West Ham). I just happened to be awake & watching the Liverpool game the other day when they fell apart vs Crystal Palace. How the game shifted from Liverpool in a flurry to run up the score, to scratching just to save a point, was just amazing.

On that note, the way the EPL handles the last day of the season is so exciting. All 10 games taking place at once so no one has a competitive advantage is brilliant. Two years ago when City scored those two late goals to win the championship was wonderful. If you could guarantee me that kind of excitement I would watch soccer all the time.

Not to mention the entire concept of relegation. Imagine if the Cleveland Browns were forced out of the NFL because they suck so bad :D
Realistically speaking, Manchester City aren't going to lose against West Ham. Not when the title is on the line, and not when they've got so many proven winners in the squad.

However, if West Ham do manage to pull off the upset, and Liverpool win to win the title, then this will be a final day to rival last year's in drama and excitement.

LET'S GO HAMMERS!

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Not looking good for Liverpool. City up 2 with 20m to play.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Well at least it seems that the draw with CP didn't really make a difference to Liverpool as they would have lost on differential anyways.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I love that a league that plays many games, does not have a play off. I wished Basketball and Baseball would do the same.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ah well, fair play to Man City, congrats on the title.

I'd say Liverpool finishing second and still having a shout at the title on the last day of the season counts as exceeding expectations. They have some good players, yes, but I didn't expect them to be challenging for the title.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The picks title wasn't even close, though. Congrats, @bhamv3.

bhamv3

bhamv3

The picks title wasn't even close, though. Congrats, @bhamv3.
I have to honestly say it was entirely down to luck.

Now where's my prize @Dave? :p

EDIT: Just in case anyone can't tell, the joke is that I don't deserve a prize because it was down to luck. I don't wanna sound crass or ungrateful or entitled or dickish.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

I love that a league that plays many games, does not have a play off. I wished Basketball and Baseball would do the same.
It is somewhat unique yes. Makes for some good drama like a couple of seasons ago. But it can also somewhat lead to the opposite, like last year. The EPL is just the perfect size, as is the UK & travel distance, for there to be a balanced & meaningful season with no need for a season ending tourney. The relegation aspect also helps keep things somewhat interesting for the awful teams, as well as serving to bring some fresh talent into the league every year.

Baseball OTOH, with the nature & pace of the game, allows for a lot of games to be played in short amounts of time. The size of the country & travel schedules makes it somewhat necessary to split into 2 separate leagues. In the old days of baseball there were no playoffs, just a 7 game series between the two league champions at the end of the season. A World Series championship meant something back then. But over the years, in order to keep more fans interested later in the season, they kept adding playoff slots.

Basketball, yeah... too many playoff teams. I think NBA & NHL both have more teams that MAKE the playoffs than don't. Don't see it as much in basketball, but giving a team that barely had a winning record a second chance in playoffs - all they need is a hot goaltender & they can make something of it.

The NFL would be best suited for a situation like the EPL. But the physicality of the game won't allow for much more than the current 16 games schedule. I suppose they could eliminate inter-conference play & just play each other team in their conference once, but then there's some disparity in home/away games. Using the EPL model, they would have to play 30 regular season games to allow for 15 home & home games. Then I guess either have the Super Bowl as-is or they could switch to a 2 game series. Since the SB is usually a neutral site game, they could get away with just the one game. I suppose if they stretched the season out like the EPL (i.e. play over 30 -32 weeks instead of the current 17). Start beginning of September, regular season ends end of April - with the Super Bowl at the beginning of May. That leaves 3 months of offseason, which ain't happening because of how brutal that game is. Not to mention the cow that would be birthed by the NFLPA. They're having enough of a hissy fit over talk of expanding to 18 games.

klew

klew

EPL (and other European leagues) clubs can also win multiple major trophies through continental tournaments, while NBA and MLB have no other real peers (maybe World Baseball Classic is the closest, but doesn't use the same team lineups).

bhamv3

bhamv3

EPL (and other European leagues) clubs can also win multiple major trophies through continental tournaments, while NBA and MLB have no other real peers (maybe World Baseball Classic is the closest, but doesn't use the same team lineups).
If my experience in Football Manager 2013 is any indication, a Premiership team can win up to 6 trophies a season. (Super Cup, Community Shield, the EPL, FA Cup, League Cup, and Champions League/Europa League)

Of course, this does involve winning a lot of stuff the season before, too.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

That is a good point. The best teams have opportunities to play in things like the Champion's League, which in essence allows for more money making home games. And what is the Champion's league but an extended "playoff" tournament of league champions & runner-ups?

Also, what makes Futbol even more unique is that there exist a number of leagues throughout the world which have nearly equal skill levels. EPL, Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, La Liga, Eredivisie - that's just europe. Throw in the Campeonato in Brazil and there's planty of opportunity for the best players in the world. There's no need for so called "minor leagues" because there's so many teams across the world. Sure there are a few teams that monopolize the best talent - ManU, Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Ajax etc. But eventually the talent level starts to level off.

OTOH - leagues in the US like the NBA, MLB & NHL are far & away the best & most lucrative opportunities for players of the highest skill level. Japanese baseball is getting close, but they're pretty restrictive to foreigners. There are a couple of european basketball leagues that are getting pretty good, and the KHL is pretty good as well. But the US leagues all provide the best opportunity, with all the others taking the leftovers. A dig at a lot of college basketball players these days is to say "He'll do pretty well in Europe"

jwhouk

jwhouk

The NBA and NHL have 16 of their 30 teams make the playoffs. Thing is, the NHL plays best-of-seven series all the way to the Cup finals - which means (potentially) an extra 28 games maximum for a team to play in a single playoff season.

MLB has only 10 of its 30 make the playoffs - and realistically only 8 of those play any significant number of games (the one-game wild-card "play in" is a joke, IMNSHO).

20 of the NFL's 32 teams do not make the post-season, though Goodell is trying to change that so 14 teams do make it.

I don't think relegation would go over well in the US, though there are times when I wonder if it should be done.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

The NBA and NHL have 16 of their 30 teams make the playoffs. Thing is, the NHL plays best-of-seven series all the way to the Cup finals - which means (potentially) an extra 28 games maximum for a team to play in a single playoff season.

MLB has only 10 of its 30 make the playoffs - and realistically only 8 of those play any significant number of games (the one-game wild-card "play in" is a joke, IMNSHO).

20 of the NFL's 32 teams do not make the post-season, though Goodell is trying to change that so 14 teams do make it.

I don't think relegation would go over well in the US, though there are times when I wonder if it should be done.
NBA now plays 7 games all the way thru the playoffs now as well. The toll here is that in winning a championship, players extend their season by 2 months, thus leaving them a shorter offseason for recovery - not even counting seasons with Olympics during the summer shortening the offseason even more.

The more teams that make the playoffs, the better chance to keep the fans interested in the regular season. The NFL's "short" season (and thus, ticket "scarcity") pretty much guarantees that every game will be a sellout, or at least close, usually before the season even begins. Even the shitty teams. Look at the Browns. They just sold 3K season tickets based on a draft pick. Hockey & Basketball have smaller arenas, so its a little easier to sell out the larger number of games. Baseball is trending toward smaller, more intimate baseball-only parks. Teams are learning that even if you present a shitty product, if the ballpark experience is enjoyable - people will go (see: Chicago Cubs)

Relegation will never happen in the US due to the amateur draft system & things like baseball's minor league system. Minor league teams are filled with prospects that have contracts with major league teams. If they're good enough, they eventually get called up to the bigs. In the UK there are lots of very good club teams in the next tier leagues that are ready to compete in the EPL given the chance. This would be comparable to bringing the entire Louisville Bats team (Cincinnati's AAA affiliate) up to the major leagues for a season. Problem is, those players are all under contract with the Reds.

It *could* be a good thing however. We just spent the last couple of months discussing whether or not the 76ers were "tanking" the end of the season to get the best chance at the #1 pick in the draft. Maybe if they had to play to stay *in* the league they wouldn't have to worry about tanking.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

We just spent the last couple of months discussing whether or not the 76ers were "tanking" the end of the season to get the best chance at the #1 pick in the draft. Maybe if they had to play to stay *in* the league they wouldn't have to worry about tanking.
This came up on some sports shows at the beginning of the season. If they knew going in that they weren't going to make the playoffs, teams were going to shoot for the lottery picks instead.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Someone wanna explain to me why ManCity got that 60m Euro fine?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Someone wanna explain to me why ManCity got that 60m Euro fine?
Does this help?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...breach-of-Uefa-Financial-Fair-Play-rules.html

jwhouk

jwhouk

jwhouk

jwhouk

New fixtures are up. This year I will SHOW THEM, SHOW THEM ALL!

bhamv3

bhamv3

For the first week, I'm predicting Liverpool will beat Southampton, with Rickie Lambert scoring the winning goal.

jwhouk

jwhouk

1.32 goals per game.

In the 20-plus years now that the Premier League has been in operation, the average number of goals scored per game has been 1.32.

If that was the runs per game total in baseball, there'd be a mutiny in the stands.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

jwhouk

jwhouk

First week of matches coming up Saturday.

mikerc

mikerc

Study looks at the old cliche about bad luck / decisions evening themselves out over the course of a season. Unsurprisingly the answer seems to be that no it doesn't.

What is a surprise is that - despite what the article claims - Man Utd aren't the main benificiaries of bad decisions. They only gained 6 points "unfairly" compared to Leicester's 7. Liverpool on the other hand should have had an extra 12 points - 4 entire wins!

The idea about decisions not going well for teams at the bottom end of the table does seem to bear up though. Of the teams that finished in the bottom 6 none of them gained points & 5 of them had less point than they should.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I'd've thought that the number of goals scored over a season would provide far too small a sample to base any statistical claim on.

mikerc

mikerc

When a fan posts on Instagram calling for the manager to go & it's liked by the club captain there's something seriously wrong.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Moronho gonna Moronho.

:popcorn:

COME ON YOU GUNNERS

mikerc

mikerc

Has the student now become the master? Even during the worst of Fergie time Sir Alex never had a team win with a penalty awarded after the final whistle the way OGS has.

mikerc

mikerc

Fabian Delph has not been arrested for alleged child sex offences. This isn't sarcasm or a suspiciously specific denial or anything, just a statement of fact.

For context, it was announced earlier today that a Premier League player was arrested on suspicion of alleged child sex offences. In light of UK laws banning the naming of people who have only been arrested but not convicted of these offences the police did not name the player involved resorting to their usual standards of only confirming the age & gender of the individual under suspicion (in this instance "a 31 year old man has been arrested"). Everton FC would later confirm that it was one of their players who had been arrested & that he had been suspended by the club pending the police investigation. There are only two 31 year olds playing for Everton - Fabian Delph & Gylfi Siggurdson.

While it would be illegal for me to name which player was arrested there's no law saying that if someone hasn't been arrested for a given crime then I can't say that they haven't been arrested. So, yeah, Fabian Delph has not been arrested for alleged child sex offences.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Which means, of course, that Everton has not suspended Fabian Delph.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Icelandic media, however, appear to be under no such constraints, so...

Gylfi Sigurðsson arrested for alleged violation against a child

(Yes I know that's a Google Translate page, I don't know Icelandic, okay?)