Election Day Madness! (Nov. 8th, 2011 Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just figured I'd start a thread for important results for our respective areas, so we can all talk about them is we feel like it. So feel free to praise/bitch about any local results here!

So for my state, Ohio...

Issue 2 (SB5), otherwise known as the Union busting bill, was defeated with about 63% of the vote voting no. It really is true what the union reps say: pretty much everyone knows at least one nurse, teacher, policeman or firefighter. This was probably the most important issue on the ballet and probably the best indication of how the next Senatorial and Gubernatorial elections will go. Gov. Kasich is already sweating bullets over this and scrambling to rebuild support.

Issue 3 (The opt out for the nationalized healthcare mandate) was also defeated. I'm still of two minds about national care, so this is probably for the best. They honestly fucked up the entire issue by not following a Canadian or European model and just making it part of your taxes, so it's probably for the best to opt out of the requirement... maybe once it fails we can push again for what we wanted to begin with.

Anyone else with thoughts on these or issues in your own state?

The only major issue in Houston was that we re-elected our awesome (and coincidentally) gay mayor.

I'm also glad that Mississippi defeated its absurd hardcore Christian abortion bill.

Local counties in Georgia were able to vote for Sunday alcohol sales. Now I can buy beer before the Sunday football game yippee! At least not in the county I'm in because it wasn't on the ballot this term, but it passed in the county adjacent to me right up the road.

Local counties in Georgia were able to vote for Sunday alcohol sales. Now I can buy beer before the Sunday football game yippee! At least not in the county I'm in because it wasn't on the ballot this term, but it passed in the county adjacent to me right up the road.
Woot!

I've always found some of the alcohol laws in the country oddly random. Anyone know where some of the selling times and other restrictions came from?

Woot!

I've always found some of the alcohol laws in the country oddly random. Anyone know where some of the selling times and other restrictions came from?
Pretty much all of them generally come from religious views from earlier in the century/previous century. Can't have the drunks in the bars instead of church on Sunday and all that.

Pretty much all of them generally come from religious views from earlier in the century/previous century. Can't have the drunks in the bars instead of church on Sunday and all that.
I get some of them being religion based, like some places not selling on Sunday's, but what about not selling hard liquor after 10:00 outside of bars? Is that from the bar league in the area to encourage people to go to the taverns? Why do bars here close at 2:30 a.m.? Was it to reduce drunks on the road when the streets are busy in the morning hours like 5:30 to 7:00? That kind of thing is what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.