Dragon Age: Origin: the Mod thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

I know there is a thread about the game itself, but I figure we can make a mod thread since the toolset it out.

I have been trying to find some but it is hard (even bioware site search is wonky)

so far there are two "unofficial" fixes (I can't find them today, but I did have them at home)
one is the dagger fix (dex+str)/2 and bow fix.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/8/index

did anyone else have any other mods?
I'm more interested in seeing more areas, player custom made areas are da bomb in FO3 :)

edit:
Here is the "missing Manual" for Dragon Age
http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php

Storage chest in Camp
http://social.bioware.com/project/463/

This is another mod (allow 25 tactics per character)
http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopi...5542&forum=140

Here is the bioware version of the fix 25 Tctics (more complex)
http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/mods/max_tactics
note: I was thinking of maybe increase XP requirement AND make tactics around 18 or so. This can be useful.

Dagger/bow fix (thanks math242)
http://dragonage.gulbsoft.org/doku.php/hotfix/dexterity_hotfix_101
note: this fix works for you AND your enemies. So be very careful charging into a group of archers.

Less blood and gore ON character OR on the field.
http://social.bioware.com/project/396/

RESPEC mod
http://social.bioware.com/project/469/
Note: I haven't test this myself, but will try it out tonight. looks like there is a bug that cause morrigan to crash BETA version is backup for testing.

Character builder (more of a stand alone program) looks neat
http://social.bioware.com/project/353/

NPC does NOT auto level when you get them
http://damods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=19

Some other cool mods like whiter teeth and items
http://damods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;cat=2

I've always been in awe of players who release Unofficial patches/fixes that seem to solve the problems that even after 5-10 patches of Developer "fixes" can't seem to get.

C

Chibibar

Bioware staff are working on their own unofficial fix.
Wouldn't that would kind of make it an Official one.... :confused:[/QUOTE]

well, that is what I thought too, but these Bioware employee are doing it on their own time (not on the clock technically) so I guess it is not "Bioware support" so "technically" it is not official since it is not supported ;) (at least that is what I was told)

yea. I was confuse on that too. I tell you one thing tho, the toolset was release about a day or two after Dragon Age (delays) but haven't seen mods for it yet. I guess people are still tinkering.

I've looked at the tools. They are COMPLEX. From what I hear, they are the same tools that were used to make the game, only modified to be more home-user friendly.

It'll take some time before the mod community masters its use. Looking at the social site, people are already configuring tons of custom tools for other modders to use. I can't wait to see the stuff they start to pump out once everyone gets the hang of it.

C

Chibibar

I've looked at the tools. They are COMPLEX. From what I hear, they are the same tools that were used to make the game, only modified to be more home-user friendly.

It'll take some time before the mod community masters its use. Looking at the social site, people are already configuring tons of custom tools for other modders to use. I can't wait to see the stuff they start to pump out once everyone gets the hang of it.
Yea. the only thing that was change (so we are told) that the render portion is "streamline" for PC use since we don't have render farm in our basement. Well, *I* don't have a render farm in my basement.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Wait, the thread says mod but you guys are saying fix-- is something broken that I haven't encountered yet?

Secondly, I wonder if it's possible to get a first-person mod. I'd be interested in that.

C

Chibibar

Wait, the thread says mod but you guys are saying fix-- is something broken that I haven't encountered yet?

Secondly, I wonder if it's possible to get a first-person mod. I'd be interested in that.
Basically right now Daggers and Bow uses STR only for bonus which technically broken since it suppose to use Dex and Str (50% of each)

The patch that came out didn't fix it.

Sorry for the confusion, a lot of mods sometime actually fix certain feature in the game that no patch will come out for.

Of course to no surprise there is a "nude" mod only but you need textmod to run it (which is too much work I'm sure someone will be able to incorporate it into the addins folder normally.)

C

Chibibar

25? I don't really see the point of having that many.
Yea. You don't need THAT many, but I think that is the "max" (at least assume so) I would say instead 25, change to like 15 or something. At least for you casters (not sure if it works on NPC, it should tho)

I wish there was a mod to "reset" NPCs to LVL 1 and to have all the XP to get them back to your level. I hate DAO's "auto-level" bs.

not yet but i guess it will come soon. It will not come from the bioware dev tho. They stated they would never do it because this is how they wanted the chars to be.

I have no problem with that... Morrigan is lvl 6 or 7 when i got her. Ok fine, i don't like that point in disorient but i'll live with it. It's her past.

Except they KEEP ON levelling if you get chars later. The poor dude who gets Wynne when she's lvl 15 won't have the same experience against the bosses than me who got her at lvl 9 or 10.

C

Chibibar

not yet but i guess it will come soon. It will not come from the bioware dev tho. They stated they would never do it because this is how they wanted the chars to be.

I have no problem with that... Morrigan is lvl 6 or 7 when i got her. Ok fine, i don't like that point in disorient but i'll live with it. It's her past.

Except they KEEP ON levelling if you get chars later. The poor dude who gets Wynne when she's lvl 15 won't have the same experience against the bosses than me who got her at lvl 9 or 10.
Yea. I kinda hate that. Cause when you get any NPC in the early levels, you can pretty much tweak them to YOUR playstyle.

It would be nice that a character start at 7 (since NPC starts with specialization) regardless when you get them and they have "save up levelup" that you can distribute them as needed.

I'm going as far as to contemplate to wait a week or so so that I can get my hands on a editor, this "pre-leveling" for me is ruining my immersion.
That doesn't make any sense. I realize why it'd be BENEFICIAL to not have pre-leveling, but "breaking immesion?" You are playing your main character, who gives orders to other characters who willing join with him/her. Unless your main character has time travel powers and can go back months/years before you actually met Morrigan and say "Hey Morrigan, you know what would be cool, not learning an eclectic bunch of skills that seemed interesting but have no real synergy!," then there is no reason your character should be able to determine how the other characters lived their previous lives.

In real life, people do not min-max. People learn what seems interesting or relevant at the time. It's legitimate to argue this is bad game design, but it has nothing to do with immersion.

Firstly, this is a game... not real life.

Secondly, the fact that my characters are "played out" for me before I get them ruins my immersion and ability to make choices in the game.

Why?

If I get a character at LVL 14-15, who's already been given a crappy selections of stats and skills, they are close to useless to me. I'm a min/maxer... I want to have choices to what I want, not get sloppy seconds and try to feel some form of enjoyment as I try to slide my sausage in and out of a vagina the size of a doorway that is beyond use.

In KOTOR(I&II), you choose what you wanted... and most skills were relatively useful. In DAO, some skills are useless to people of certain builds.

I NEVER said, remove auto-level, the button is ALREADY THERE... all I ask is to leave my NPCs alone until I get to control them.

Dave

Staff member
No, what he's saying is that mix/maxing is totally fine. But saying it breaks immersion is kinda dumb. Breaking immersion to me is the very definition of the way it is now. You meet some new people and they need some help and direction.

I never stated that he character I meet will not have it's original backstory... all I ask is that they are LVL 5 with no stats/skills taken. It's not that I'm asking the rogue/bard to no longer be the rogue bard. All I'm asking is that the rogue bard doesn't take "archery skills" and starts investing stat points in cunning/constution instead of more useful stats.

The way it plays out now is that they'll ride the bench for 6-7 levels as I can then use the stat points to fix their weak build but never ever get back poor skill selection.

That ruins my immersion, my way I would like to see the story play. That character is dead to me, my options are limited. Unless, I run for the NPCS once I hit the first camp and even then... they have already wasted a few levels.

C

Chibibar

well... I think it kinda "break" immersion the 2nd time around (or even first time) once you discover if you decide to get someone late in the game, most of their skills are "pre-picked" that you wouldn't have.

You usually get Allistar first around 5-6 level (or lower depending on your game play) then you get morrigan 2nd (usually no spoiler technically since you have to story line)

now, if you manage to get pretty high level before you get morrigan (it is possible) then morrigan will already pick some skills to match your level. When you pick her up at level 5 vs level 10 is a big difference cause when you pick her up at level 5, you can decide how you want her to be by the time at level 20 you have chosen 15 levels of skills for her and make her a valuable party.

picking her up at level 10 then go to 20, you have less options and pretty much have to change your tactics to suit HER template (which you might not like and end up using someone else)

this can be bad when you can choose to pick up everyone else at later levels. The "breaking" immersion would be you running around to get other characters before you are suppose to ensure you can develop them to your need.

I can understand this. If you pick up morrigan at level 20, more than likely, I might not use her cause a lot of the spells, I won't be using as much (maybe) I could learn HOW to use her, but it is not as fun (I hope I make sense) it is like starting at level 20 and trying to figure out how a character works.

Let me reiterate/clarify: I DO think it would be fine to have an "autolevel-vs-choose your own skills" option for each character you meet. Because it gives players more control over the game and makes it more fun. (I myself am annoyed that Leliana has trap/lockipicking skills identical to my own rogues'). But that is not the same as breaking immersion, at least as it is commonly defined. Immersion implies that you are experiencing a world that feels real and allows you to play without being reminded that you are playing a game.

In this world, you are a single person meeting other people (if you were supposed to be playing all characters directly you wouldn't have to give them gifts and kiss up to them in order to learn their life story - you'd already know it). You meet a rogue named Leliana who learned lockpicking and archery because SHE needed them in the years before she met you, because she did not spend the previous 20 years of her life thinking "Man, I should probably min-max myself on one particular skill so that later on when I meet a particular person who needs a dedicated archer or dedicated whatever I'll be as mechanically useful as possible." And if you meet her later on in life (say, when you both have had time to reach level 15), then she'll have had even more time to develop on her own without you.

You can't argue that a game breaks immersion and that a game shouldn't be realistic in the same paragraph. If you are using a different definition of immersion than is commonly accepted, then you should clarify that. Again, I agree that it can be annoying and is arguably worth breaking immersion specifically BECAUSE it makes the game more fun. But the two options are mutually exclusive, unless they go out of their way to create a self-consistent flavor reason that you get to rewrite their past or rapidly level them up from 5-to-whatever-you-are with precise control over them.

C

Chibibar

note: there is a respec mod now (well, more like redistribution of points) I think this can work. I haven't test it yet.

C

Chibibar

note: there is a respec mod now (well, more like redistribution of points) I think this can work. I haven't test it yet.
TOLD YOU!![/QUOTE]

Heh. I was searching around the place (man social.bioware is hard to navigate) and I found it. I'm going to test it tonight so we'll see how that work.

C

Chibibar

I have discover a "minor" bug in the game (only discoverable if you use the toolset)

I won't say where cause it will spoil, but you can find books that will grant 1 physical skill points and find a book that will give 1 magical skill point (basically usable if you are a mage and the other book for warrior/rogue)

I went like "oooo... neat! extra skills" so I went into the toolset and add the stack size to 99 (why not) and decide to let my party use it (a good way to get other character skills they won't normally get due to level limitation) well... I discover which ever book you pick up first, is the book you can use, you would either need to store it away and pick up the other book to use it (weird bug)

basically, if I pick up physical book first (99 stack or even 1 stack) and then arcane book. I can't use the arcane book. It always points to the physical book even if I use a mage to drag from inventory to the hotbar and try to use it. BUT if I drop into the chest (the camp storage chest which WORKS for me last night) and pick up the arcane book FIRST. It works but then the physical book doesn't work.... weird.

C

Chibibar

now added character builder :) btw respec potion WORKS, just be cause before you unlock specilization cause if you respec before unlocking (like morrigan's shapeshifter) you will LOSE it.

C

Chibibar

two new mods

NPC do NOT autolevel when you find them. This is pretty cool. So if you find X character at level 7 vs 12, they will have their base level and YOU get to decide how you want to put your stats. :)

The other is directory of mods of different stuff. It is pretty cool like whiter teeth and such.

totally getting that mod

just waiting them to fix the losing the spec glitch when using their potion so that i can fix MAH game!

totally getting that mod

just waiting them to fix the losing the spec glitch when using their potion so that i can fix MAH game!
As long as the character is level 7 (the level you get your first spec point) or higher, and you've unlocked their spec, you won't run into this glitch. It was happening with characters like Alistare, who has the templar specialization earlier than you can normally take it. If you respec him before 7, he won't lose it forever, he just won't be able to take it again until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.