[Movies] Doctor Strange

With the news and rumors about this project ramping up, I thought this deserved its own thread.

Screen Daily is reporting that the movie will be shooting in the UK at Pinewood Studios in May of 2015. It is aiming for a release date of July 8, 2016. Scott Derrickson (Sinister) will direct. Although Joaquin Phoenix is reportedly the front runner for the title role, the lead role has not been cast.

I don't see the point of this thread when it's still all just speculation. If there were images or a trailer to discuss, I could see the point.

So, what does everyone think of Joaquin Phoenix as Doctor Strange? I wonder if this is too mainstream of a production for him at this point.

Well, he was good in Her and The Master, both very different performances, so I think he can pull off the character. Sounds like he is close to signing on and Marvel has set the release date at 7/8/16 but until his signature is on a contract it's still all speculation.

The casting rumors have moved on -- Thisisinfamous is reporting that Ethan Hawke has been offered the role. Reportedly, he has accepted and the final details are being worked out now.

I like both Joachim and Ethan in certain films. Overall I don't care for either, but I don't really have a better alternative. I don't know much about Strange's personality to pick an actor. I've seen his character is a couple of cartoons/movies, but never read the books.

I hope not. He's already synonymous with THREE major geek figures: Smaug, Sherlock, and Khan. Give it to someone who's looking to make a comeback like Robert Downey Jr did with Iron Man.

Don't get me wrong. He's a great actor and would be a great choice...if he isn't already all over the place.

Last edited:
I just saw the special 10 minutes extended trailer at Disneyland. It looks fantastic. My girlfriend said it was Inception meets Marvel, and that seems about right. The visual effects are stunning.

I thought it was good, and I don't even like most of the magic-based Marvel heroes. This is one of the few movies I recommend watching in 3D.

Got back a couple hours ago.

It was good. I think I liked it about as much as Ant-Man. It was imaginative and I really enjoyed the performances. Magic can be hard to write well, balancing excitement of the unexpected without resorting to bullshit, and I think the movie handled that well, especially for the climax.

Wong was an unexpected favorite.

That laugh at the end ... I was a little annoyed by how Strange kept insisting on quipping in the middle of the movie, and then it getting lampshaded with "I'm funny," but it was all worth it for Wong's busting a gut at the end.

Seeing Mads Mikkelsen made me miss Hannibal. He was great here and I'm looking forward to seeing him in Rogue One. Tilda Swinton was great as usual, regardless of Tumblr being shit-bags.

Post-credits stuff

Is Strange going to be a big part of Thor 3? Because that's what's implied and damn, Thor, Loki, Hulk, and Doctor Strange would be magic. I mean, in terms of entertainment, not the magic already inherent in his being a sorcerer.

The second scene I guess is setting up Doctor Strange 2, so it'll be a while to see how that plays out, which is kind of the handicap in having so many concurrent Marvel franchises.

My theater had a collective delightful squeal during the trailer for Guardians 2 when baby Groot popped up, so that was cute.

If at some point they don't have Stark and Strange arguing about / solving some "Big Problem" and not have Martin Freeman's character happen to walk by and give some equivalent of "No Shit, Sherlocks" I'll be so dissapointed. :)

Just saw it. It was wonderful, so full of eye candy, I'm pretty sure I could watch it another dozen times without becoming bored.

Almost saw it today.
But the kid was sick and stayed home from school.
Not sure if we'll get the opportunity again until Netflix.

--Patrick

I actually went and saw it yesterday.

Had a lot of fun, the same winning Marvel formula they have been using. It did take awhile to get used to Benedict's accent, but it did remind me of Laurie a lot, but that might just because of the doctor scenes. :D The mirror new york scene was just breathtaking in 3D.

There is one teeny little thing that bothered me though, very small, but the nerd in me couldn't help but notice. They mention in Winter Soldier that Steven Strange is a target of Project Insight, because he was deemed a "threat" to Hydra, which makes sense if he is the Sorcerer Supreme. I thought they would get around that by having the events of this movie happen earlier then those other films, but at the very start, before his accident, he is in his house and it cuts showing various rewards, all marked "2016". Was Hydra just really scared about how good of a surgeon he was? Maybe he is just deadly with a scalpel! Yikes!

I actually went and saw it yesterday.

Had a lot of fun, the same winning Marvel formula they have been using. It did take awhile to get used to Benedict's accent, but it did remind me of Laurie a lot, but that might just because of the doctor scenes. :D The mirror new york scene was just breathtaking in 3D.

There is one teeny little thing that bothered me though, very small, but the nerd in me couldn't help but notice. They mention in Winter Soldier that Steven Strange is a target of Project Insight, because he was deemed a "threat" to Hydra, which makes sense if he is the Sorcerer Supreme. I thought they would get around that by having the events of this movie happen earlier then those other films, but at the very start, before his accident, he is in his house and it cuts showing various rewards, all marked "2016". Was Hydra just really scared about how good of a surgeon he was? Maybe he is just deadly with a scalpel! Yikes!
They were eliminating people of various groups and ideologies. The movie doesn't get into Strange's political leanings, but I'm going to guess they weren't in line with Hydra. I don't think the "target saturation" was all superheroes and assassins.

They were eliminating people of various groups and ideologies. The movie doesn't get into Strange's political leanings, but I'm going to guess they weren't in line with Hydra. I don't think the "target saturation" was all superheroes and assassins.
No, but it was supposed to be important people for the most part. The President, Congress, Members of the Pentagon, Tony Stark, etc. While he is supposed to be a famous neurosurgeon, it just seems weird that a low level Hydra agent would name drop him to Steve Rogers as a credible threat to the group while interrogated, if Strange was still a neurosurgeon.