[Question] Display Driver Crashing Every 10-20 Mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The symptoms sound to me like some sort of memory leak, but I wouldn't know which application is doing the leaking.

If you want to freefall down the rabbit hole, I might check into these NVIDIA tools, though I have to say I've never used them myself. And eventually you might discover that it was all Flash Player's fault*, or something.

--Patrick
*Or some other "GPU-assisted technology" in there.

For the last 6 months or so, I've constantly run into issues with video stutters in flash based videos. It's kind of annoying. It's not an issue with my video drivers, otherwise, I'd have the same issue with Netflix, but Netflix runs through silverlight, so I'm inclined to think it's crappy flash programming.

So after spending some time on the EVGA forums and trying literally every option that was thrown at me, I'm formatting the main hard drive.

If that doesn't work, well then fuck I don't know what else to do. What's annoying is that I'm not the only one with the problem and everyone's solution boils down to -you need to uninstall and reinstall the drivers correctly-. One person though it might be my flash player hardware acceleration, that didn't work. Someone had me try a different video card (as I said before I tried a GTX560 and it didn't work). I tried 3 different older drivers. None of them worked. I'm completely done trying to fix this with a scalpel. It's time for the sledgehammer.

I was uninstalling the drivers, rebooting into safe mode, removing the rest with driver sweeper, rebooting, installing the new drivers, rebooting and then watching my system crash every 5-10 minutes.

Assuming I've managed to catch you in time, try testing before you run all the Windows updates. It might be that it's one of the OS hotfixes that is plaguing you, and not the graphics drivers at all.

First step to proper troubleshooting, courtesy Mr. Holmes:
How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?
--Patrick

Poor Gilgy is having a lot more trouble than I was. I only crashed while playing WoW, every other game was fine. And after two days of driver crashes while in WoW, it randomly stopped happening.

Also, while checking through my BIOS, I found a setting that was set incorrectly and had been ever since I built the computer. It seems I had my main display set for PCI instead of PCI-e... talk about a performance boost.

Poor Gilgy is having a lot more trouble than I was. I only crashed while playing WoW, every other game was fine. And after two days of driver crashes while in WoW, it randomly stopped happening.

Also, while checking through my BIOS, I found a setting that was set incorrectly and had been ever since I built the computer. It seems I had my main display set for PCI instead of PCI-e... talk about a performance boost.
again, I say... lol

Do tell how you found this.

Oh and yeah I reformatted my main drive. Went smoothly, running like silk now. Haven't tested WoW + Browsing yet but I'll get to it.

Do tell how you found this.

Oh and yeah I reformatted my main drive. Went smoothly, running like silk now. Haven't tested WoW + Browsing yet but I'll get to it.
It was just an option in the BIOS. It had to have been set that way ever since I built the damn thing, because I hadn't changed it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.