[Brazelton] David Bowie

Eh. I mean, it's fairly openly acknowledged there was a phase during the 70s where there was very little interest/control in who or what rock/pop stars were banging, and that many of the groupies who threw themselves at them were of questionable age. I don't know if pedophile or rape are exactly the right words (queue yet another instance of Charlie calling me a rape apologist in 3...2....1.....); female beauty ideals at the time (and now, again, by the way) were strongly leaning towards "teen"/youth (as opposed to the beauty ideal of late 80s/early 90s, for example, where "big boobs" were a large part of Pamela Anderson's appeal). Combined with the "free love" etc of the time meant a lot of people were acting "above" their age and behaving in adult ways too young (by which I mean, sex with adults). I don't think Bowie - in contrast to, for example, Polanski - ever deliberately searched out girls for their age. I do think he took advantage of/had fun with/... groupies, and didn't bother to ask how old they were - or, probably, cared. That's wrong, certainly from here, looking back, but even in its historical context.
This day and age, I'd imagine any pop/rock star with at least 2 brain cells left to ask a girl if they're 18 (or 16 or whatever the age of consent is at the time and place) before doing too much. Back then, that wasn't exactly a given.
And for those saying it's easy to see and/or clear when someone's 18 or not...Not always. Heck, I just recently learned Mila Kunis only turned 18 during the fifth season of That 70s Show. Yes, knowing that makes me feel icky that I thought she was good looking in some of the earlier seasons too...But she acts and plays just like anyone else in the group - who all are 18.

Anyway, he's a rock star who slept with and did drugs with groupies - willingly on their part. Some of them probably weren't of legal age yet. Does that mean he did something wrong? Yes. Does it mean he's suddenly a monster? No.

You know, paedophilia actually has a medical definition.

Trying to bring every morally questionable sexual act under the umbrella of the term kind of does a disservice to actually abused prepubescents.
are you going to explain ephebophiles to me next?

That's awesome proof. A groupie that was backstage at a drug and alcohol-fueled binge with her mother's consent. Nothing in that shows that Bowie knew the girl's age. No charges were ever filed, no proof other than this interview. As proof goes it's tenuous at best and slanderous at worst. So you'll believe what you want, but I'll go with the innocent until proven guilty thing. And unless you have something more substantial, I don't want to shoulder liability risk. And if you think that can't happen, ask the free ranged chicken.
google rape culture

My favourite David Bowie songs:
Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth with Bing Crosby
Suffragette City
Golden Years
Under Pressure with Queen

The first fifteen minutes of all BBC News broadcasts here today have covered this sad news. This is more time than is normal for Prime Ministers. R I P Ziggy.

I picked up a vinyl copy of Blackstar this morning for ~$28 at the mall. As of this posting, it's selling for $170 on Discogs. The clear vinyl is over $350. Ebay is worse. Over $450 for the vinyl. :facepalm:

I know most here wouldn't listen but a podcast I listen to called Vidja Game Apocalypse did an entire thing on Bowie's connection to video games and during it they also talked about his unbelievably progressive views on technology and the internet in general. Really neat stuff.