Darkfall beta review @ "The Noob"

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitty Sinatra

Mav said:
I also really fucking hate when they label the rest of us as something we aren't.
The solution to that is quite simple: Grief them. :paranoid:

We were all problems definitely. Shego and Le Quack brought up their points in the beginning probably for fun. Once Asenka went on his rampage, it was fun to just watch both sides of the conflict. How about just starting a Darkfall thread and saying discussion about pvp and looting is for another thread?

Necronic

Staff member
One of the things mentioned that I am interested to see how it plays out is the comparison to EvE PvP. In EvE the PvP is brutal, but there is very little of the traditional griefing you would find in a game like WoW (my only other frame of reference). Due to the potential risks of entering into a battle you don't do it unless the reward matches, and in general the reward of just beating someone usually is not enough to risk a 50 mil isk ship.

Depending on how Darkfall works, the same could be true here. One thing I am excited about is the fact that you can't tell another persons level (the term doesn't even really mean anything in darkfall), so you have to determine if you can beat someone just based on their appearance. On the one hand it could be a newbie twink in some expensive gear (aka kill me now please) or it could be an old veteran riding around in some cheap gear (aka I dare you to touch me bitch). And on top of all of that, supposedly 4 brand new players should be able to drop highly experienced veterans.

The complexities of how PvP could possibly play out is very fascinating to me, and definitely my main draw.

Also, Mav, I have to ask, have you thought about the alignment hits and how that will effect your ability to PvP the way you describe?

Mav said:
While I can't stand their playstyle I also really fucking hate when they label the rest of us as something we aren't.
This is something that interested me, and I am not trying to say this with any sort of malice Mav.

I don't consider you a griefer because you play games were that is the point, and natural selection will always push out those that don't enjoy PVP of that style, but you do have a habit of calling us that don't agree with your playstyle a "carebear", can you not see the hippocracy of your comment and what you have said in the past?

I don't think it is fair to complain about being labeled something, when you have done much labeling of us.

Again, just as a observation, not a flame.

You know, I wonder if my mother would like this game. I might have to get it for her birthday.

...What? *whistles innocently*

R

Rubicon

ScytheRexx said:
Mav said:
While I can't stand their playstyle I also really fucking hate when they label the rest of us as something we aren't.
This is something that interested me, and I am not trying to say this with any sort of malice Mav.

I don't consider you a griefer because you play games were that is the point, and natural selection will always push out those that don't enjoy PVP of that style, but you do have a habit of calling us that don't agree with your playstyle a "carebear", can you not see the hippocracy of your comment and what you have said in the past?

I don't think it is fair to complain about being labeled something, when you have done much labeling of us.

Again, just as a observation, not a flame.
Well if you look at the mmo definition of carebear, it's people that enjoy a more restricted environment. Those that enjoy the mmo's where pvp is pretty much at a minimal and there are plenty of "safe zones" etc It's a literal description of a style of play. It may sound harsh when used to describe a person but it in no way compares to someone labeling an entire genre of gamers (the pvp substyle) as griefers, especially when we play games specifically made for us to do so..

R

Rubicon

Necronic said:
Also, Mav, I have to ask, have you thought about the alignment hits and how that will effect your ability to PvP the way you describe?
Yep. There are going to be times where I am fubared cause I won't be able to enter X places of X faction cause I've ganked too many people of X faction. I encountered the same problem in other mmos and quite frankly, it's fun as hell. Nothing is more awesome than running into a neighboring faction, whom you are hostile with due to you killing players of that faction and not only fighting off players of that faction but fellow NPC guards of that faction that are now hostile to you ;p it makes it that much more difficult. I loved the huge negative faction sympathy I got when playing Neocron, where the uber high level NPC guards would be chasing me down cause I pwned my own faction too many times and I'd be fighting off other players are the same time. Killing them, making a break for the nearest extraction point, trying not to die and drop my shit rofl those were good times.

Some of the best moments in pvp mmos has been with alignment and faction sympathy issues, good stuff.

Necronic

Staff member
Mav said:
Necronic said:
Yep. There are going to be times where I am fubared cause I won't be able to enter X places of X faction cause I've ganked too many people of X faction. I encountered the same problem in other mmos and quite frankly, it's fun as hell. Nothing is more awesome than running into a neighboring faction, whom you are hostile with due to you killing players of that faction and not only fighting off players of that faction but fellow NPC guards of that faction that are now hostile to you ;p it makes it that much more difficult. I loved the huge negative faction sympathy I got when playing Neocron, where the uber high level NPC guards would be chasing me down cause I pwned my own faction too many times and I'd be fighting off other players are the same time. Killing them, making a break for the nearest extraction point, trying not to die and drop my shit rofl those were good times.

Some of the best moments in pvp mmos has been with alignment and faction sympathy issues, good stuff.
Its a great mechanic because it allows for a kind of buffered safe zone, where people like you aren't allowed in. You can get in, but staying around, or getting out will be hard. Plus, you will probably loose access to cheaper markets yada yada. Same thing with Piracy in EvE.

I would like to point out that, because Asenka has defined griefing (on the previous page) as "anything that causes grief, despite the rules", then:

- Killing a rare spawn before somebody else can is griefing, since you have caused them grief because they really wanted it.

- selling an item for more money than somebody has, so they can't buy it is griefing, since you have caused them grief because they really wanted it.

- Riding your horse is griefing, because people below the level cap really want one, but don't have one, and so they are griefed.

Those are a few ridiculous examples, but since Asenka has defined griefing as such (so that he may be right in this retarded argument), everybody who has ever done something that may piss somebody off, inadvertently or not, is now a griefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.