[Music] Daft Punk: Random Access Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought the album today and finished listening to it. I enjoyed it! It feels very retro, a throwback to the 70's/80's. But they still manage to make it seem fresh at the same time. There are a couple of songs that I found kinda out there, like they were trying a little too hard to experiment on. But overall, groovy!

If you're a Daft Punk fan already, you'll like it! And even if you're not, I think you'll find something in it you'll dig!

I think the thing that really lost a lot of people with this release is how down tempo it is, and the fact the the guest vocals are so prominently featured. From the build-up/snippets that were previewed, for what seemed like ages, there was a kind of building sense that this was going to be Discovery V.2 It's not, and that's fine. It's a strange release, though. Kind of like a pet/side project that they knew they'd never get bankrolled if they didn't brand it with the Daft Punk seal.

It seemed, at first, like maybe they'd be going for a more accessible/pop sound with all the mainstream talent they got on board. But I'd argue this is their least accessible album to date. Shit's weird.

I think the thing that really lost a lot of people with this release is how down tempo it is, and the fact the the guest vocals are so prominently featured. From the build-up/snippets that were previewed, for what seemed like ages, there was a kind of building sense that this was going to be Discovery V.2 It's not, and that's fine. It's a strange release, though. Kind of like a pet/side project that they knew they'd never get bankrolled if they didn't brand it with the Daft Punk seal.

It seemed, at first, like maybe they'd be going for a more accessible/pop sound with all the mainstream talent they got on board. But I'd argue this is their least accessible album to date. Shit's weird.
I like it for what it is, a featured artists album. I was expecting to hear collaborations with a Daft Punk sense, and it delivers exactly that.

Yeah I fucking dig it. Daft Punk, Kavinsky, Breakbot, Justice, and College all have that eighties discotheque sheen going for them right now.

But Daft Punk have definitely strayed the furthest from the electronica scene in this regard, so I understand the mixed reviews.

Yeah I fucking dig it. Daft Punk, Kavinsky, Breakbot, Justice, and College all have that eighties discotheque sheen going for them right now.

But Daft Punk have definitely strayed the furthest from the electronica scene in this regard, so I understand the mixed reviews.
Oh, expect electronica remixes of these songs at some point in the near future from the robots.

So, I've had time to listen to the album a few times. Overall, I enjoy it quite a lot, but I'm surprised that it's actually the slow jams I like the most.

My favorite is Instant Crush, with vocals by Julian Casablancas (of The Strokes) in an ode to being friend-zoned.

A close second is Within, a haunting melody of confusion and self discovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.