Export thread

Daft Punk: Random Access Memories

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Daft Punk's new album, Random Access Memories, will hit stores May 21st.

They've started a video series about the various collaborators that worked on the album with them.
Here's the first episode:

Shawn

Shawn

Daft Punk.

I do love their music on occasion.
I want to own a Bluray copy of Interstella 5555, not so much for the music but for the amazing animation.

drifter

drifter

Daft Punk.

I do love their music on occasion.
I want to own a Bluray copy of Interstella 5555, not so much for the music but for the amazing animation.

You probably don't. The Blu-Ray version allegedly looks like total ass.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Discovery was the first album that I downloaded to my iPhone, love their music.

For that matter, can anyone recommend similar music.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

PatrThom

PatrThom

If you haven't seen this yet, it's pretty neat.

Daft Punk, Dissected.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I want this album inside me.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Houston, we have a single. It's glorious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HIpfdSrGF5k

It won't let me embed that for some reason.

LordRendar

LordRendar

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAwwwwwwwww yeah!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Confession time. My music library is bereft of Daft Punk. Once I get home from work, I'll preorder the new album (make sure I do, people!)

In the meantime, where should I start? Give me one album that will show me the way.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Embedded from their official Youtube page

Tress

Tress

That new song suuuuuuuuucks. I'm very disappointed. :(

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Confession time. My music library is bereft of Daft Punk. Once I get home from work, I'll preorder the new album (make sure I do, people!)

In the meantime, where should I start? Give me one album that will show me the way.

Their Discovery album is where I would start.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Discovery, first, I'd say, and if you enjoy it check out a couple songs from Homework on YouTube and decide from there.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Their Discovery album is where I would start.
I'll go one further. Just watch Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Will do. And preorder is preordered. :)

Tress

Tress

That new song suuuuuuuuucks. I'm very disappointed. :(
After a second listen I don't think it sucks. I'm still not a big fan, though.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Maybe it's just me, but I find myself grooving to it more as I listen to it more.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Maybe it's just me, but I find myself grooving to it more as I listen to it more.
Good music should not be enjoyed for only seven minutes. Good music should stay with you for hours, and cross your mind often during the day.

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

Good music should stay with you for hours, and cross your mind often during the day.

Tress

Tress

Green_Lantern,

You disagree that I don't like the song? Because you think that's a judgement you get to make? It was fine when I made a declarative statement about the song you disagree with, but now I'm just expressing a personal opinion.

strawman

strawman

Green_Lantern,

You disagree that I don't like the song? Because you think that's a judgement you get to make? It was fine when I made a declarative statement about the song you disagree with, but now I'm just expressing a personal opinion.
I'm pretty sure he's picking an internet fight with you.

:popcorn:

Tress

Tress

I'm pretty sure he's picking an internet fight with you.

Why? Because he has terrible taste in music? :troll:

strawman

strawman

Why? Because he has terrible taste in music? :troll:
He shoots! HE SCORES!

Are you just going to take that lying down, Green_Lantern?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

He shoots! HE SCORES!

Are you just going to take that lying down, Green_Lantern?

Tress

Tress

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm enjoying the track, but I wish they'd have released it as the full version and not just the radio edit.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

LordRendar

LordRendar

I am so stoked for this.

First tape I ever bought was Homework. Listened so much to it,the tape eventually wore out.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Just bought the album today and finished listening to it. I enjoyed it! It feels very retro, a throwback to the 70's/80's. But they still manage to make it seem fresh at the same time. There are a couple of songs that I found kinda out there, like they were trying a little too hard to experiment on. But overall, groovy!

If you're a Daft Punk fan already, you'll like it! And even if you're not, I think you'll find something in it you'll dig!

Frank

Frank

The only song I really like is Lose Yourself to Dance for some reason.

Vagabond

Vagabond

I think the thing that really lost a lot of people with this release is how down tempo it is, and the fact the the guest vocals are so prominently featured. From the build-up/snippets that were previewed, for what seemed like ages, there was a kind of building sense that this was going to be Discovery V.2 It's not, and that's fine. It's a strange release, though. Kind of like a pet/side project that they knew they'd never get bankrolled if they didn't brand it with the Daft Punk seal.

It seemed, at first, like maybe they'd be going for a more accessible/pop sound with all the mainstream talent they got on board. But I'd argue this is their least accessible album to date. Shit's weird.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think the thing that really lost a lot of people with this release is how down tempo it is, and the fact the the guest vocals are so prominently featured. From the build-up/snippets that were previewed, for what seemed like ages, there was a kind of building sense that this was going to be Discovery V.2 It's not, and that's fine. It's a strange release, though. Kind of like a pet/side project that they knew they'd never get bankrolled if they didn't brand it with the Daft Punk seal.

It seemed, at first, like maybe they'd be going for a more accessible/pop sound with all the mainstream talent they got on board. But I'd argue this is their least accessible album to date. Shit's weird.
I like it for what it is, a featured artists album. I was expecting to hear collaborations with a Daft Punk sense, and it delivers exactly that.

Vagabond

Vagabond

Yeah I fucking dig it. Daft Punk, Kavinsky, Breakbot, Justice, and College all have that eighties discotheque sheen going for them right now.

But Daft Punk have definitely strayed the furthest from the electronica scene in this regard, so I understand the mixed reviews.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah I fucking dig it. Daft Punk, Kavinsky, Breakbot, Justice, and College all have that eighties discotheque sheen going for them right now.

But Daft Punk have definitely strayed the furthest from the electronica scene in this regard, so I understand the mixed reviews.
Oh, expect electronica remixes of these songs at some point in the near future from the robots.

Vagabond

Vagabond

Alive 2017 is going to be a masterpiece.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, I've had time to listen to the album a few times. Overall, I enjoy it quite a lot, but I'm surprised that it's actually the slow jams I like the most.

My favorite is Instant Crush, with vocals by Julian Casablancas (of The Strokes) in an ode to being friend-zoned.

A close second is Within, a haunting melody of confusion and self discovery.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Crossposting this here due to relevance.

--Patrick