Critical thinking and the Dangerous Hot Dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

My kids are at 5 going on 6 and 2 going on 3. The boy eats whole hotdogs all the time. The two year old gets hers all nice and cut up. I didn't have to have a fucking label on it to know that she could potentially choke on a large piece. Hell you're not supposed to feed small toddlers whole grapes either for that same reason. Are they going to start labeling grapes as a choking hazard? Do we really fucking need a sign and instructions on every goddamn thing we do?

On the same note as Drawn was mentioning: A 6 year old has a full set of teeth. They can chew a hot dog just fine (actually my 2 year old has a set of chompers too). The odds of him choking on a hot dog are the same as the odds of any adult. Shit happens. I hate how society is turning into one big pussy fest.

<rant>

I agree with everything you said Chaz, except this pisses me off:
My kids are at 5 going on 6 and 2 going on 3.
NO SHIT! If they weren't "going on Y" then they'd be DEAD. WHY do people EVER say this??? This figure of speech just pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.

</rant>

Back to your regularly scheduled thread

Cajungal

Staff member
^That's what I was gonna say. I've only heard it when a kid was a month or so away from their birthday.

Companies change labels all the time. Just say, with in the next 2 years you will need to add a disclaimer to your product.
The nutritional content information should be taken off all food products to save me 35 cents on a 60 cent can of peas.
Don't be daft. The nutritional information is necessary for those who may or may not have food allergies, sodium/sugar limitations, etc. These are things which do not have common sense applications and would require a lot of research to figure out if they were not there. Whether or not labels change does not detract from the fact that changing the labels would cost unnecessary expense. The label templates have to be changed, possibly the label shape, the wording of the warning, etc. Each of these costs money not just for production costs and downtime to change the line but people have to take time and effort to do so, which in man hours starts to add up quickly.[/QUOTE]

Each time the FDA requests more information to be added the food companies make the same argument.

It should be common sense that manufactured foods are bad for you.

C

Chazwozel

<rant>

I agree with everything you said Chaz, except this pisses me off:
My kids are at 5 going on 6 and 2 going on 3.
NO SHIT! If they weren't "going on Y" then they'd be DEAD. WHY do people EVER say this??? This figure of speech just pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.

</rant>

Back to your regularly scheduled thread

Because I don't like it when people say 5- 3/4 and 2-3/4, fuckhead.

Too bad. Say "almost 3" or say "2" don't say "going on" as that tells you NOTHING. As I said, all it means is that they're the lower age, and not dead. Beyond that, you've just wasted your listener's time, usually so that they MUST ask the follow-up question about how old your kids REALLY are, which then you have to listen to them tell you about their kids. It's just an asshole-way of presenting simple information.

Be proud of your kids. Fine. I even LIKE most kids. But more often their parents are the ones that REALLY suck.

Cajungal

Staff member
Now I'm wondering who, after hearing "going on ___," really needs to be told exactly how old the kid is. You seem to know what it means, at least. And if someone doesn't really care, why would they ask?

M

makare

It's just a manner of speaking, I don't see the big deal. There comes a point where it is kind of irrelevant but there is a big difference between a kid who just turned 2 and one who is 2 but closer to 3, developmentally speaking.

Dave

Staff member
Personally I say their age in months until they graduate from High School. My daughter is 194 months.

C

Chazwozel

Too bad. Say "almost 3" or say "2" don't say "going on" as that tells you NOTHING. As I said, all it means is that they're the lower age, and not dead. Beyond that, you've just wasted your listener's time, usually so that they MUST ask the follow-up question about how old your kids REALLY are, which then you have to listen to them tell you about their kids. It's just an asshole-way of presenting simple information.

Be proud of your kids. Fine. I even LIKE most kids. But more often their parents are the ones that REALLY suck.[/QUOTE]

I like it when people try to sound smart over completely irrelevant things. Just an FYI, 'almost three' is the same as saying 'two going on three'. Really it's like claiming that the giving the time as "four- fourty five" is better than saying "quarter of".

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Personally I say their age in months until they graduate from High School. My daughter is 194 months.

My daughter is 31 moon cycles old.

Be proud of your kids. Fine. I even LIKE most kids. But more often their parents are the ones that REALLY suck.[/QUOTE]

Chaz saying he had a kid that was "2 going on 3" presented me with more information and wasted less of my time than this post just did.

Congratulations.

Dave

Staff member
We say things in different ways. Eriol is just annoyed by something he doesn't say on a regular basis. I grok it. I get bent out of shape for strange stuff, too. Let's not fight, kiddies.

(And that includes name-calling, Mr. Wozel.) :p

How would putting labels that tell people to cut up the hot dog for kids cause fear in parents if parents are supposed to already know this? You'd think people would look at it and say no shit. The label on paint cans that says not to drink it hasn't scared me into not using paint. I seriously doubt this would hurt the hot dog industry.
In the same way folks went nutty over the antibacterial scam. Parents were using alcohol wipes on every damn surface, and using Germ-X lotions and hand-sanitizers. They gave into fear, instead of the knowledge that triclosan doesn't do shit to the real threat, and quite likely could cause an even bigger problem by using it. Plain soap and good hand-washing technique is a way more effective than anti-microbial soaps.

As for the hot dogs, the folks that would say, "No shit" to the warning label, they are the same that would know that coffee is effing hot, and that coffee should not need a label explaining such. I am talking about the dumb-shit populace that would and will stop buying hot dogs b/c of the warning, instead of using their brains and chopping the hot dog into little bits.

They'll want to put a label on chickens saying 'bones not edible' next. Or something. Anyway, this is pretty stupid.

fade

Staff member
They should change the shape of hot dogs to look like vaginas instead. Much safer.
HA!

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Also:

In this thread: lamest pet peeve ever.

C

Chazwozel

How would putting labels that tell people to cut up the hot dog for kids cause fear in parents if parents are supposed to already know this? You'd think people would look at it and say no shit. The label on paint cans that says not to drink it hasn't scared me into not using paint. I seriously doubt this would hurt the hot dog industry.
In the same way folks went nutty over the antibacterial scam. Parents were using alcohol wipes on every damn surface, and using Germ-X lotions and hand-sanitizers. They gave into fear, instead of the knowledge that triclosan doesn't do shit to the real threat, and quite likely could cause an even bigger problem by using it. Plain soap and good hand-washing technique is a way more effective than anti-microbial soaps.

As for the hot dogs, the folks that would say, "No shit" to the warning label, they are the same that would know that coffee is effing hot, and that coffee should not need a label explaining such. I am talking about the dumb-shit populace that would and will stop buying hot dogs b/c of the warning, instead of using their brains and chopping the hot dog into little bits.[/QUOTE]

Well to be honest, the anti-bacterical sanitizers do kill off shit on your hands a lot better than plain old soap and water, but it's mainly due to it covering your hands better and people not washing their hands long enough for soap and water to be effective.

Cajungal

Staff member
Every time I'm in the bathroom with a girl who splashes 3 seconds worth of soapless, cold water on her hands and then wipes them on her jeans, I wanna throw a wad of wet paper towel at the back of her neck.

Cajungal

Staff member
*shudder*

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I've always washed my hands, but working with kids has made me obsessive about it.

C

Chazwozel

Every time I'm in the bathroom with a girl who splashes 3 seconds worth of soapless, cold water on her hands and then wipes them on her jeans, I wanna throw a wad of wet paper towel at the back of her neck.

Eh to be honest, unless it's after she took a shit, not washing your hands after you take a piss really isn't all that bad (unless you piss all over your hands).

Dave

Staff member

Eh to be honest, unless it's after she took a shit, not washing your hands after you take a piss really isn't all that bad (unless you piss all over your hands).[/QUOTE]

Women have to wipe. So yeah.

Cajungal

Staff member
That's kind of what I'm concerned about--considering the half-ply toilet paper we get at the university... better safe than sorry.

C

Chazwozel

Eh to be honest, unless it's after she took a shit, not washing your hands after you take a piss really isn't all that bad (unless you piss all over your hands).[/QUOTE]

Women have to wipe. So yeah.[/QUOTE]

I mean, I wouldn't take a piss and go off to prepare food or anything without washing. But if a chick is a mechanic and doesn't feel like washing her hands after taking a leak, more power to her.

S

Soliloquy

I mean, I wouldn't take a piss and go off to prepare food or anything without washing. But if a chick is a mechanic and doesn't feel like washing her hands after taking a leak, more power to her.

I'm in the camp that if you take a whiz, male or female, a water only washing should suffice. If they aren't preparing food or something, as Chaz said.

Status
Not open for further replies.