Coronavirus Thread

It's funny 'cause it's true!

Seriously, though, the UN Special Rapporteur for Extreme Poverty and Human Rights observed that some parts of the US are at Third World status. The Trump administration went livid when that report was released.

Do you want Resident Evil to be real? Because that’s how you get Resident Evil in real life. Maybe not zombies, exactly, but rogue companies making hazardous diseases for profit.

figmentPez

Staff member
Conservative Political Rhetoric Now Has an Official Body Count
"The Journal of the American Medical Association published a damning report confirming that party affiliation in Ohio and Florida was a risk for dying of Covid-19.

"After May 1, 2021, when vaccines were available to all adults, the excess death rate gap between Republican and Democratic voters widened from −0.9 percentage point (95% PI, −2.5 to 0.3 percentage points) to 7.7 percentage points (95% PI, 6.0-9.3 percentage points) in the adjusted analysis; the excess death rate among Republican voters was 43% higher than the excess death rate among Democratic voters. The gap in excess death rates between Republican and Democratic voters was larger in counties with lower vaccination rates and was primarily noted in voters residing in Ohio."

My takeaway from this is that 40% of dog owners are conservative Republicans?

—Patrick
What’s amazing, is that the three people I know personally that are real antivax people are liberal and vote democrat. One of them simply because she won’t admit that where she grew up could have possibly had an effect on her and the eggs she was carrying. She grew up behind one of the worst polluters ever in our county and the entire neighborhood is known as a cancer and birth defect hotspot in this area.

figmentPez

Staff member
My takeaway from this is that 40% of dog owners are conservative Republicans?
If you think that all vaccine critics are conservative Republicans, then you don't know much about the anti-vaxx movement. It's only recently become a major conservative talking point, but it's been around for decades, and it still appeals to a lot of alternative medicine types, who range from conservative suburbanites, to apolitical or moderate, all the way to very liberal. I think the motivations for being anti-vaxx are just as varied. Some people get sucked in by hucksters, and the people making money off of selling snake-oil don't care about red vs blue, unless it helps them make green (money). I imagine there's also some over-reaction to the well-earned negative reputation that pharmaceutical companies have. It's unfair to say that doctors and the medical profession as a whole should be distrusted because drug companies have a bad history of price gouging, knowingly getting people addicted, etc, but being overly skeptical of pharmaceutical companies is a bipartisan/nonpartisan thing.

I've been re-watching the TV sitcom "Dharma & Greg", which ran from 1997 - 2002, out of curiosity for how my understanding of, and reaction to all the conservative vs liberal jokes has evolved over the years. If vaccines had been brought up in this show from 20+ years ago, it would have been the hippie parents who were against them, and the conservative rich parents who insisted that vaccines were the only reasonable option.

in a letter sent to parents late Tuesday, Florida Surgeon General Joseph Ladapo—known for spreading anti-vaccine rhetoric and vaccine misinformation—indicated that unvaccinated students can skip the normally recommended quarantine period.
So, uh, just a warning for anyone who was planning on going to Spring Break, or who was going to interact with anyone going on Spring Break, or just going to FL in general...might want to bring one of those "I'm going to be stripping my furniture this weekend" outfits.

--Patrick