Computer monitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alucard

Hey guys I'm going to buy a new computer soon it's most likely going to be an HP s5305z slimline.
This is probably a dumb question but here goes anyway.

I have a spare Dell LCD monitor will I be able to use that in the hp computer I'm getting? I know it's a dumb question but I was curious if computer monitors were interchangeable. The rig I've built is about medium range since I don't play intensive games on computers nowadays and will use it for the occassional mmo I'll try out.

It'll have winodws 7. Is that operating system less bitchy than vista was? I hate vista. Is 7 more comparable to good ol windows xp?

Dave

Staff member
You will be able to use it.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

For the record, you can set it up as a dual monitor system and it'll rock your world. Of course, the old one won't be as good as the new one, but it'll still be usable.

figmentPez

Staff member
Monitors are highly compatible with very few exceptions. Depending on what specific configuration of that HP you got, and if your monitor has all the necessary cables, you might need to buy a cable. (I don't think there are any Dell monitors that lack a VGA connector.) That would be the only caveat. The cheapest graphics option, Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE, has only a VGA out. I'm not sure if there are any monitors that only have DVI-in, but in that very rare case you'd have to get a dedicated video card to connect the computer to the monitor.

It'll have winodws 7. Is that operating system less bitchy than vista was? I hate vista. Is 7 more comparable to good ol windows xp?
That depends on what you mean by "bitchy". Win 7 uses less memory with better performance than Vista and is supposed to have a less intrusive UAC, but other than that it looks and acts much more like Vista than XP.

A

Alucard

I'm not getting an integrated graphics card it'll be a Radeon though.
That's good to hear about 7 though. I just felt from my own personal experience with Vista that it was one lousy operating system.
I miss the good ol reliable of XP but am looking forward towards using 7.

I've used dual monitors before and it is nice especially back in the good old days

Status
Not open for further replies.