[Question] Comedy gig - Perfect Opportunity or Bad Taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
This question is for everyone but specifically I'm interested in Zappit's response. Not that yours doesn't matter, but you'll see what I mean.

Okay, here's the background. On May 5th I have a comedy gig. It's at a hospital here in Nebraska. The audience will be kidney patients who have just gone through a day of orientation about their condition and what they are going to expect. Some will be on their first steps in the path and some will be farther along thanks to the timing of their diagnosis.

So here's my question. Is this going to be in bad taste or do you think that after the day they are going to have they'll be ready to cut loose and laugh a bit? It's a family-friendly act and we'll be staying away from health comedy, naturally.

Thoughts?

North_Ranger

Staff member
As long as you don't try to be all Happy Happy Joy Joy about it, I'd say that's cool. I mean, back when I had to spend 4-5 days at a time in the ward for chemo (now it's in the morning, out the afternoon because of the kidney drain), I could have used some humour that was actually humour and not this piddly "Don't worry, everything's going to be alright" crap the local cancer organization shoves down our throats.

This is me lighting the Zappit searchlight to notify him of this thread.

Personally I'd say go for it. They are only interested in their condition to the degree that they need to be to take care of themselves, and they are regular humans who will generally be up for good times. Most of them will welcome a laugh break after all the heavy stuff that's been laid on them that day, and those that don't won't be chained in place.

Distraction and laughter are both valuable tools for dealing with pain, grief, depression, etc.

ElJuski

Staff member
oh lord, the medical puns in this thread are awwwwwfullllll.

But yeah, Dave, just go for it. The risk is worth the reward.

I mean, it'll probably be awkward if it's like "ok, so that concludes the presentation on the hard road to wellness that lay before you. Now for the comedy stylings of Dave!"

But if they asked you, go for it. I'd just assume that most are probably not quite at the stage where they want to laugh about it. Just stick to clean, general comedy like you said and it should be fine.

Zappit

Staff member
This is me lighting the Zappit searchlight to notify him of this thread.
Highlighted and summoned. Okay - here's my take - since some of these people just got the orientation regarding their treatment, they're nervous and uncomfortable. The stuff associated with kidney disease - biopsies, harsh meds, (including high doses of steroids) dialysis, and just so many needles - is scary and intimidating. If you've gone through it yourself, that breaks the ice, so to speak. If not, then it would not have a great overall impression. Maybe with some, but not with most; it might make them more uncomfortable. A good pee joke should be neutral ground, as that's the easy, painless test.

I'd say go with material that's not related to their conditions, or highlight something rough you've gone through in your act. They need a distraction, not a reminder. You've got an opportunity to help alleviate some fried nerves, so help them forget for just a little while.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Start with a terrible joke. "I hear you all have kid-ney disease. What is that, you have a kid's knees? How did you get those? What even causes that??"

fade

Staff member
I think you should go for all kidney jokes. Oh, and walk in dressed like the grim reaper, pointing at some random audience member.

Just go for comedy that won't patronize them and will help them break from their reality for a while. Most of them will be overwhelmed and stressed about their situations, so anything that can take them out of that, even for a little bit, is going to be huge for them.

If they asked you to do a comedy gig, I would think they would expect jokes.

Jokes to avoid:
"You ever notice that the word dialysis has die in it."

"Someone called me yellow because I wouldn't jump off a bridge. I told him that I'm jaundiced, you bastard!"

"Urine for a real treat tonight, folks! I'll try to keep the comedy real fluid tonight - I guarantee you'll wet yourself with laughter!"

Dave

Staff member
Just got back from the gig and I have to say it went very well. Most of the people there were 40+ in age (although there was 1 teenager and a few in their 20's/30's) and were actually into the show. We had a great gig with good audience participation and have been asked for our information from a couple of other groups who might use us for similar events.

So....everything went better than expected. Much better than a post-prom, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.