Can't Rename Files (OS X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright then. This has been a problem for a few weeks, but it's getting to be a bit ridiculous. I had hoped I would stumble into a solution, but I haven't.

I'm running Mac OS X Tiger (10.4), and for some reason I can no longer rename files. I can double click the name of a file, and it highlights it and gives me a cursor, but I'm unable to type anything. Not even to backspace a letter. Similarly, I can't use the arrow keys to navigate my files.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I was hoping that I just had a checkbox unselected or some setting messed up, but I haven't been able to find anything relevant.

See if you can enable the keyboard viewer under System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu, then choose it from the little flag menu that pops up in your menu bar. Find out if you have a key stuck on your keyboard. Also, try using the screen keyboard to rename a file. Then try unplugging your USB keyboard (or hub, if you use one) and plugging it back in (note: Do not attempt if your keyboard is not USB).

Also, this thread has some ideas. Also this thread.

Hmm...most common responses seem to be 1) Restart your computer 2) Make sure file sharing is turned off in System Preferences -> Sharing 3) Check for directory errors. I would add 'make sure kbd is working' to that list (as above), but I will also suggest opening another program (such as Safari or Mail) and then using the Command + Tab key combination to switch focus from one program to another until you are back in the Finder, then try again. Another related thing I have seen happen (though rarely) is that there is a Finder window on the screen that is almost completely hidden (on the edge of the screen, behind the Dock, etc) and this keeps stealing your keystrokes.

--Patrick

If none of that works you can always rename files using the terminal

Code:
mv OLD_FILE NEW_FILE
Not a real solution, but a workaround until you get the problem figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.