Canadian Politics

Probably because I've been surrounded by Americans for far too long, but that does not seem fucked up at all. Fairly in line with what a lot of the Christian denominations around me preach, minus the hijab. Also worth noting that "leave our [place of worship]" is a valid way to frame religious disagreements (as opposed to what my "fucked up Islamist" mental model would've said about disagreeing with them, and the punishment for apostasy).
You could be right, but the sister's statement could easily be a euphemism that is "the only way to leave Islam is by dying" and thus they ARE calling for it. But that's VERY open to interpretation, so I'm hardly going to "die on that hill" to say she was stating that for sure. It could be the much more tame "if you're not in the mosque, you're going to hell, so all who don't believe this go to hell" which isn't that extreme a statement at all. Her original statements are VERY conservative Islam, but that's not as problematic as calling for the deaths of apostates. She's probably done that too (given her past associations, it's fairly likely), but that isn't in this quote.

No, your way is the deceitful math. If your taxes go from $10 to $20 on $100 of income (10% to 20%), they doubled, they did NOT go up 10%.
Depends on how it's phrased, really. "Went up" isn't quite the same as "Went up by" IMO. Like, if there was a sales tax increase from 5% to 7.5%, I'd either say taxes went up 50% or the tax went up by 2.5%. Although in the latter case I'd probably say 2.5 percentage points to clarify.

Depends on how it's phrased, really. "Went up" isn't quite the same as "Went up by" IMO.
Oh, but it is (or at least is usually interpreted as such), unless you clarify like you do at the end. And people sneak this crap in all the time, knowing it'll sail by mostly unnoticed.
And then there are those people who just do it completely wrong: "Payments increased 25% from $75 to $100" no, they increased 33%, not 25%.

--Patrick

Depends on context, to me. I think people just think about and express percentages differently, whcih is where confusion can arise. Although I don't doubt some people do it intentionally, I wouldn't assume deceit right off the bat (again, depending on context).

Depends on context, to me. I think people just think about and express percentages differently, whcih is where confusion can arise. Although I don't doubt some people do it intentionally, I wouldn't assume deceit right off the bat (again, depending on context).
If a politician is announcing a tax increase it will always be in the smallest number possible.

If a politician is announcing a tax decrease it will always be in the largest number possible.

You could be right, but the sister's statement could easily be a euphemism that is "the only way to leave Islam is by dying" and thus they ARE calling for it. But that's VERY open to interpretation, so I'm hardly going to "die on that hill" to say she was stating that for sure. It could be the much more tame "if you're not in the mosque, you're going to hell, so all who don't believe this go to hell" which isn't that extreme a statement at all. Her original statements are VERY conservative Islam, but that's not as problematic as calling for the deaths of apostates. She's probably done that too (given her past associations, it's fairly likely), but that isn't in this quote.
As I read this I had the silly thought that @Dave ought to get himself sent to Guantanamo. He would, eventually, make millions. Win.

But more importantly, he would be barred from seeing his brother. Big Win!

I'm horrified that the article this one is writing about is written for a website that has my hometown in its name: Female genital mutilation defended in article on ‘Muslims in Calgary’ website

That link is NOT to the offending article, but an article reporting about it. According to the reporting, the author is in Sri Lanka, so it's not even local (thankfully).

Horrific. We don't want that kind of thing in Canada, or anywhere else. Hell, even WHO has condemned it, and enough of you know my opinion on the UN! (WHO is almost always pretty good, one of the redeeming features of that organization IMO, though I'd rather support MSF directly most of the time)

Since I'm not a Sun subscriber, I only see 7 paragraphs. Huh?
Maybe it's doing geo-restriction, given where you are. It usually gives you 10 "free" before it restricts you. Try private browsing? I'll quote what I mean though in case it doesn't work:
When I was in university, two of the dumbest guys I knew had a thriving pot business.

They grew their plants behind a pair of bushes under their rez room window and conducted sales from a corner at the pizza place down the street.

Selling weed is neither complicated nor particularly difficult. But just watch how cumbersome and bureaucratic it becomes after governments try to take over “bud” retailing next July.

... (other stuff about how stupid Ontario's plan is according to the author) ...

Alberta’s private liquor store lobby has a better plan. Let the province’s 1,400 private liquor stores sell weed, too. Their staff already have training at keeping controlled substances out of the hands of minors and their retail network is already spread out in every community.

They go one step too far. The liquor store owners offer to set up separate-entranced marijuana outlets so weed isn’t sold next to liquor.

I fail to see the need to keep the two vices separate – as though that would somehow cut down on the abuse of one or the other.

But the Alberta proposal at least meets the customer halfway along the spectrum of legality versus convenience, so has some chance of beating two dumb guys with a plant.

One of the MLAs here wants to have liquor stores be the sole purveyor of cigarettes too, and to get them out of convenience stores.

One of the MLAs here wants to have liquor stores be the sole purveyor of cigarettes too, and to get them out of convenience stores.
Interesting idea. One stop, all "sins"? Makes for an interesting thought experiment for if/when prostitution is legalized...

Btw, have a link on that Frank? I'm curious to read more.

In the US, since weed is still technical illegal on a federal level, it is a cash only sale, no banks will touch that money, and even recreational and medicinal sales are kept in separate areas from each other to keep money going where it belongs. But since communities within states can decide for themselves whether or not weed sales are allowed, and I live in a fairly conservative part of the state despite being 30 minutes from both Denver and Boulder, I have seen a lot of pissing contests about how it should be handled. We have the tiniest of our three town area having 3 medicinal shops, but no rec shops, while the other two towns won't allow it at all. We have the city between us and Boulder not allowing weed sales, but mostly because they are trying too hard to not be Boulder.

But really, I guess what I'm saying is, it's not any more of a clusterfuck in Canada than it is anywhere else, but at least you guys have the feds on your side.

Interesting idea. One stop, all "sins"? Makes for an interesting thought experiment for if/when prostitution is legalized...

Btw, have a link on that Frank? I'm curious to read more.
My bad, I was reading up on the marijuana thing from different sources and read an article from 10 years ago. I don't think his idea went anywhere obviously.

Sad News: Liberal MP Arnold Chan dies after battle with cancer

I don't know anything about this particular MP beyond what I read in the article, but it would suck to lose your sitting MP. My thoughts in particular though go out to his wife and kids. Dying at 50 is far too early.

If we have any members from Scarborough-Agincourt (his riding) please voice your thoughts.

I'm in a minority on this one. IMO change Alberta (and most other places) to be on the timezone closest to Solar Time (ie: Noon is when the sun is DIRECTLY south), and then ditch all the savings, etc, crap. There is variance from Solar Time, but with some MINOR political exceptions (Canada is good for this, provinces are MOSTLY pretty contained east/west) most places are at most 30 minutes off of what noon ACTUALLY means.

FYI for Alberta: You'd be in Pacific Time, or possibly even -8, as Alberta is just about down the center of a division there. Mountain is right out.

People don't like how the sun is bright at 4am or setting at 4pm? Then change your workday. 9-5 is just... who the hell came up with that anyways? When most didn't live in the cities, you worked when the sun came up. Honestly, just changing around when we do stuff so that it's STILL in accord with the sun is the whole reason for this kerfuffle. The numbers mis-match, so we're changing timezones, rather than actually just change the numbers we function on. Get to work at 7, leave at 3, rather than 9-5. Same amount of the day at work, same amount of sun, Noon is no longer lunchtime. Big whoop.

As I said, I'm in minority on this belief, but hey. Everybody has to have some kind of "It'll likely never happen, but I'd like it to be that way" issue. This is my harmless one.

Bonus: Here's a nice interactive timezone map where you can see how fucked up your timezone is in relation to where you actually live. Realize that in many/most cases for people on the board, it's in Daylight time right now, so it's an hour worse than it actually is compared to solar time.

I honestly don't care what fucking timezone we're put into or how they decide our time works, just do away with spring forward and fall back. Just set one time and be done with it.

I honestly don't care what fucking timezone we're put into or how they decide our time works, just do away with spring forward and fall back. Just set one time and be done with it.
I want to stay on Daylight Saving time. It gets dark too early at night on Standard time.

I want to stay on Daylight Saving time. It gets dark too early at night on Standard time.
Try "Midnight" being "The Middle of the Night" Hence my mini-rant above.

How we got on the 9-5 bullshit I'd really like to know. It feels like a bet from the 1800s that got out of hand or something.

Try "Midnight" being "The Middle of the Night" Hence my mini-rant above.

How we got on the 9-5 bullshit I'd really like to know. It feels like a bet from the 1800s that got out of hand or something.
Blame Canada.

Mr Fleming, specifically.

Your Name is No Longer Valid

B.C.-specific. Apparently hyphenated names are being rejected. An interesting section from the middle of the article:
Therriault-Finke, 45, of Rossland, B.C., went to renew her driver's licence and was told her name was no longer considered valid. Her hyphenated name has been her surname since she got married almost two decades ago in Ontario.

The majority of provincial and federal government agencies in Canada will accept a marriage certificate as proof of your name.

The Insurance Corporation of B.C. (ICBC) stopped doing that in April 2016.

Therriault-Finke was given three choices. "I could go back to my maiden name. I could take my husband's name or I could go through the process of getting a legal name change."

They're really blaming his support for Muslims for this? I'm not gonna say I'm an expert on Canadian politics, or that things are the same up there, but over here, if and when people start killing Jews, I can promise it won't be the Muslims doing it.

They're really blaming his support for Muslims for this? I'm not gonna say I'm an expert on Canadian politics, or that things are the same up there, but over here, if and when people start killing Jews, I can promise it won't be the Muslims doing it.
Just like it was SURELY going to be right-wing people (extremists, whatever) and not Muslims who are going to start killing gays, and other groups right-wingers are claimed to want to destroy? Oh wait: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Orlando_nightclub_shooting

Given that a number of countries in the middle east that are Muslim-ruled actively deny that the Holocaust even HAPPENED (some even claim the nazis were associated/funded by Zionists and/or proto-Israel). You're saying it's not reasonable to think that the lobby of similarly-minded folks (who in some cases fund them, like anything funding the Palestinian Authority) isn't also going to follow the same trend?

Do...do you not think right wingers kill gay people in America? The only reason the Orlando killer is more prominent than most is body count, not intent.

Also, while antisemitism in the middle east is clearly a big problem, so much of that (obviously not all) is because of the conflation of Jews and Israel, the latter of which certainly doesn't have its hands clean either.

Also, while antisemitism in the middle east is clearly a big problem, so much of that (obviously not all) is because of the conflation of Jews and Israel, the latter of which certainly doesn't have its hands clean either.
If you think that's the problem, you need to read more:
http://www.aish.com/jw/me/48883732.html
The Day of Resurrection will not arrive until the Moslems make war against the Jews and kill them, and until a Jew hiding behind a rock and tree, and the rock and tree will say: 'Oh Moslem, oh servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!'
(That's from 2001, and a Hadith too)

For a less biased perspective: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_antisemitism

Israel being a country there is the excuse but not the actual cause. For most (some? majority? minority? who knows?) there it's a war against all jews and Israel is just the most convenient first source of such.

As long as you cling to the fallacy of "If Israel wasn't there, there would be hardly any antisemitism in the middle east and/or Islam" you aren't reflecting the reality there.

Do...do you not think right wingers kill gay people in America?
Dude. Did you just let him redefine what you said?

That looks like you were saying racist whites. There's no mention of left/right.

That looks like you were saying racist whites. There's no mention of left/right.
I mean, its not at all unreasonable to draw the conclusion of right wing from racist whites. The latter is almost completely a subset of the former.

But the point of this isn't Israel or middle eastern countries. He's trying to say that as countries get more muslims, they'll be more anti-semetic. I'm saying (in America at least) the muslims are not the people that are gonna start going after Jews. Don't use bullshit concerns about antisemetism as a means to bash Islam.

Unless things are so totally different in Canada that this is completely irrelevant. Somehow, I don't think it is.

Unless things are so totally different in Canada that this is completely irrelevant. Somehow, I don't think it is.
No, it's not. Our Muslim terrorists seems to be attacking the country in general, whether it's running over a cop and a crowd of football fans, or storming the Parliament.

Meanwhile, as Eriol pointed out, our Prime Minister is a frothing anti semite

But we've also had a white guy shooting up a mosque, and another murdered a classroom full of women while another kipnapped and killed a score of women over several years.

Muslims are not our enemy. Hateful assholes are.