Export thread

CAD over?

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

I know we've had our fun taking jabs at Absath/Buckley over the years (QUIZNOS!), but from the looks of it, the run of Ctrl+Alt+Del might be coming to an end.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/

This combined with his most recent posts on his FB fan page

http://www.facebook.com/CADComic

Seems to indicate the end. Unless this is all a big GOTCHA moment.

KCWM

KCWM

its interesting if it he really does end it like this. There seems to be little resolution, from a reader's perspective, IMHO.

Zappit

Zappit

You think Buckley wouldn't actually do a gotcha moment? This is literally all he has for a career. He'll keep going until he can't anymore.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So to start off by answering the BIG question hanging in the air... yes, this is really the end.

Sort of.

To be a little more specific, this is the end of Ctrl+Alt+Del in its current incarnation. What's that mean? It means it's time for a good ol' fashioned "Hollywood reboot".
This is a decision I came to over two years ago, and have been working and planning towards since. As you might imagine, it is not a decision I made lightly, and in the following blogpost I'll try and walk you through the many different factors that contributed to it, as well as where I see things going from here, and why.

Whelp, so much for that. There's more on the main page of the site, but yeah, it's a reboot.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

it was almost a thanksgiving miracle :(

Gusto

Gusto

A reboot into what? What could it possibly become.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Maybe he could mix it up and try something good.

Gusto

Gusto

Maybe he could mix it up and try something good.
That wouldn't really be CAD anymore at all.

Zappit

Zappit

We start...with two guys on a couch...

Gusto

Gusto

We start...with two guys on a couch...
A BOLD NEW VISION

Zappit

Zappit

A BOLD NEW VISION
Stay with me now...they like videogames...

strawman

strawman

Stay with me now...they like videogames...
See, it's this kind of forward thinking, break-the-mold leadership we need in the webcomic industry.

Zappit

Zappit

See, it's this kind of forward thinking, break-the-mold leadership we need in the webcomic industry.
Not done yet. One guy is wacky, and the other one is worn down by wacky guy's antics.

strawman

strawman

Not done yet. One guy is wacky, and the other one is worn down by wacky guy's antics.
Wait, wait, wait - this could be a whole new style of comedy! This double act could consist of a, hmmm... let's call him a stooge, and he plays off of a normal everyman - let's refer to him as a straight man!

This is fantastic stuff! I can't see how it could possibly get better!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Apparently the reboot will include more focus on video gaming culture and the Player characters (Player 1, 2, etc). The characters we know and "love" will be in there somewhere, too.

Gusto

Gusto

Apparently the reboot will include more focus on video gaming culture and the Player characters (Player 1, 2, etc). The characters we know and "love" will be in there somewhere, too.
Sounds like it'll be more one-off video game jokes, which is when CAD has always been it's best, but doesn't seem like enough of a change to call a reboot.

LordRendar

LordRendar

can someone give me a summary of what happened? to lazy to read through the archive.

Frank

Frank

His Mary Sue main character is both the savior and destroyer of all time.

Why anyone is shocked that Buckley would write himself as such is beyond me.

Gusto

Gusto

His Mary Sue main character is both the savior and destroyer of all time.

Why anyone is shocked that Buckley would write himself as such is beyond me.
Mary Sue self-insertion character. :)

Frank

Frank

I always thought those were nearly the same things until I looked it up just now.[DOUBLEPOST=1353696654][/DOUBLEPOST]Best comic ever produced that has anything to do with CAD.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! COME ON! WHAT PROMPTED THIS REBOOT?! NOTHING! NOTHING AT ALL! Fuckin' ridiculous.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

OMG I nearly wet my pants! That face in the last panel...I can't stop laughing.

David

David

It is nice to read Tim sort-of, kind-of admit to not having any clue what he was doing with his writing. I haven't bothered keeping up with his antics in the last couple years so for all I know he's starting to actually mature. I'm willing to give the new incarnation a chance before writing it off as "lol BUckley."

Edit: Okay, just got up to the part of the blog about the Players becoming the new main characters. Never mind.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I always thought those were nearly the same things until I looked it up just now.[DOUBLEPOST=1353696654][/DOUBLEPOST]Best comic ever produced that has anything to do with CAD.

RIP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS

RIP AND TEAR

LittleSin

LittleSin

Kurtz is having an orgasm over this.

Gusto

Gusto

Kurtz is having an orgasm over this.
Is he?

LittleSin

LittleSin

Check twitter. It is great...and petty.

David

David

Jesus, Scott. :facepalm:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Of course Kurtz is jumping on this, anything to make himself look like the better web-cartoonist( no contempt for his characters my ass). For fucks sake, its not even that he's stopping CAD but he's stopping it in a way-WHERE THE MAIN CHARACTER SACRIFICES HIMSELF! Couldn't it have a damn happy ending? Sweet strawberry Jesus this is depressing! This is like in Dragonball Z where it was supposed to end after the Cell saga when Goku died, or how Sherlocke Holmes was supposed to end when he fell into the water fall! Its just a bad ending, and it just pisses off the fan base.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Holy shit it's like the Mass Effect 3 ending! (if I actually cared about Ctrl-alt-del that is).

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Check twitter. It is great...and petty.
Can you paraphrase it for those of us who don't use Twitter?

LittleSin

LittleSin

pvptwitterrant2.png

pvptwitterrant.png

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Man, the guy's a class act...

LittleSin

LittleSin

Yup.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Can you paraphrase it for those of us who don't use Twitter?
You can still read someone's twitter without signing up for the site. I don't use the site either but I do like to check Weird Al and a couple others here and there.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Weren't the Ding! characters Scott's creations too? Based off real players, but still.

No, he didn't kill them or time erase them. He flat-out abandoned them.

Zappit

Zappit

It's gettin' weida!

@Li3n

@Li3n

So we're all in agreement, the mayans where right about 2012 being the end of an era...

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I can understand wanting to move on with the comic, but yes, the whole "time erase" thing is just stupid. He basically took ten years of what people were following and flushed it down the toilet so he could start over and get back to more gaming jokes.

There were hundreds of ways he could have ended it with some closure, instead he decided not to have any, making the whole thing one giant depressing dump.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I can understand wanting to move on with the comic, but yes, the whole "time erase" thing is just stupid. He basically took ten years of what people were following and flushed it down the toilet so he could start over and get back to more gaming jokes.

There were hundreds of ways he could have ended it with some closure, instead he decided not to have any, making the whole thing one giant depressing dump.
Agreed. Like, maybe Ethan would've averted the horrible future than finish the video game and then happily ever after. THAT would be a better ending. He had to know this was going to piss people off, how stupid can he be?

I severely hope this is a trolling , I mean god damn.

Gusto

Gusto

I followed CAD for the occasional pretty good video game joke. Almost any attempt at "character development" was ridiculous and shallow. I don't know about the majority of his audience, but I can't see anyone really caring about those characters.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I followed CAD for the occasional pretty good video game joke. Almost any attempt at "character development" was ridiculous and shallow. I don't know about the majority of his audience, but I can't see anyone really caring about those characters.
Agreed, but on principle...

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

Holy crap?!? What's the deal with this dude?

Zappit

Zappit

And how many of these pissed off people are going to read it anyway?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The guy has lived off his comic for almost ten years, obviously it had enough people invested in it to keep him going as long as he has, and thus they liked his characters. Penny-Arcade may not be very story driven, but I sure would get downright livid if Mike and Jerry one day decided to basically "un-write" Gabe and Tycho so they could focus more on Fruit Fucker.

Zappit

Zappit

Scott is not letting up on this!

Adam

Adam

The guy has lived off his comic for almost ten years, obviously it had enough people invested in it to keep him going as long as he has, and thus they liked his characters. Penny-Arcade may not be very story driven, but I sure would get downright livid if Mike and Jerry one day decided to basically "un-write" Gabe and Tycho so they could focus more on Fruit Fucker.
I don't think the rest of their audience would particularly care, much the same way I think the CAD audience isn't looking for Hemingway style prose.

As for Kuntz commentary, he has as much right to talk about 'brand building' as North Korea does.

cadvspvp.png

Oh SHIIIIIT, Buckley pulls down double the traffic Kuntz does. OH SNAP.[DOUBLEPOST=1353731656][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and Buckley can see his toes.[DOUBLEPOST=1353731731][/DOUBLEPOST]Also I'm pissed I have to defend Buckley around anything.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wow, a twitter fight in which Buckley is the lesser asshole? Scott really could have done himself a huge favor by just shutting the hell up. Now he just seems petty.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I don't think the rest of their audience would particularly care, much the same way I think the CAD audience isn't looking for Hemingway style prose.
One does not need Hemingway style prose to have characters an audience can enjoy.

Adam

Adam

One does not need Hemingway style prose to have characters an audience can enjoy.
No, but no one reads Penny Arcade because Gabe and Tycho are deep, well written characters. It's thesaurical dick and fart jokes.

Gusto

Gusto

Jesus fuck, Kurtz, can you shut up for like 8 seconds.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Oh so NOW he makes fun of Halforums! I guess he really IS reading this forum.

And since he is reading this- SHUT UP! While the ending to CAD was depressing as hell, at least Buckley ended it rather than forcing a shitty story line along.

I also didn't think I'd be defending Buckley Adam but he has forced my hand.

Zappit

Zappit

Probably best not to take sides. It's a real Turd Sandwich v. Giant Douche thing.

Er...[user]Yoshimickster[/user], those Twitter bits I posted - I made those, bud. As fun as it would be to cause an Internet shitstorm with some PS'ed images, I'd really rather not. I will not be the one to spark a Kurtzallnacht.

David

David

Oh so NOW he makes fun of Halforums! I guess he really IS reading this forum.

And since he is reading this- SHUT UP! While the ending to CAD was depressing as hell, at least Buckley ended it rather than forcing a shitty story line along.

I also didn't think I'd be defending Buckley Adam but he has forced my hand.
I don't think it was an allusion to Halforums. Halfpixel was the original home for webcomics weekly, which Brad has largely taken over after it became webcomics.com

Er...[user]Yoshimickster[/user], those Twitter bits I posted - I made those, bud. As fun as it would be to cause an Internet shitstorm with some PS'ed images, I'd really rather not. I will not be the one to spark a Kurtzallnacht.
Ah, my bad, nevermind then. Didn't bother to check the real twitter feed.

Does it say anything in particular that I didn't even question that as something Scott would really tweet?

Zappit

Zappit

Really, though, just to be clear. I made those Twitter images. Kurtz still posted like a braying jackass, but those last few were mine.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, thanks for the kick in the nads to those who aren't even involved Kurtz :p

What'd we ever do to him? Besides all the stuff we did to him, that is...:troll:

Zappit

Zappit

Yoshi made his post about ten minutes ago. By now, Kurtz probably has at least 47 angry Twitter messages in his feed.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Hasn't another webcomic done a reboot? I'm almost positive I remember hearing about a strip that rebooted it's universe a while back, but it wasn't something I read. Was it Evil Inc or Starslip?

Zappit

Zappit

Bad Machinery is a reboot, right?

David

David

Hasn't another webcomic done a reboot? I'm almost positive I remember hearing about a strip that rebooted it's universe a while back, but it wasn't something I read. Was it Evil Inc or Starslip?
It was Starslip, when the crew slipped to an not-fully-calculated path to escape the war against the future. But in it's defense, I think Kris pulled it off far better than Tim did.

Probably primarily due to the fact that I actually cared about Vanderbeam and the rest of the crew.

Adam

Adam

CRFH just rebooted. Sluggy needs to be rebooted. Shortpacked has basically done what CAD is doing three times.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Probably best not to take sides. It's a real Turd Sandwich v. Giant Douche thing.

Really? It looked like something he'd type. Thats good.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Reading some tweets that fans have directed at Kurtz, he kind of lives in his own little fantasy world where no-one ever reboots their universe. First off, I'm pretty sure Starslip did do some sort of reboot. (Confirmed by others while I was typing this post) More than that Melonpool did a reboot as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1353734821][/DOUBLEPOST]
Bad Machinery is a reboot, right?
I'd call it a spin-off. As far as I know nothing from Scary-Go-Round was written out, they just started following other characters in the universe.[DOUBLEPOST=1353735101][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and Elf Only Inn did a reboot, of sorts, didn't it?

Gusto

Gusto

Bad Machinery is a spin-off of Scary Go Round, yes, and Three Panel Soul is a spiritual successor to Mac Hall.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Bad Machinery is a spin-off of Scary Go Round, yes, and Three Panel Soul is a spiritual successor to Mac Hall.
A pretty good spin-off too! They established the new leads before the new series, and they are strong enough to keep the audience's attention. And then there are spin-offs like Shortpacked that give us a male lead who is boring as hell. I like Shortpacked, but not for Ethan. Being gay does not make up for lack of presence.

Also, apparently Joyce and Walky got married and had a son....does ANYONE have a link to that story because I can not find it any where?

Edit: Not saying there is anything wrong with a gay main character, it just feels like Willis threw that in to give him some depth. It did not in my earnest opinion.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Not a single word of those fake Kurtz posts would have surprised me one bit if he'd really said them.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Zappit ... I hate to say this, but... The whole Photoshopped Kurtz tweet thing? Bad form, sir. Bad form.

You know how easy it is to rile up this bunch with Kurtz mouthing off or doing stupid or hypocritical shit. This could've gone from zero to shitstorm in two seconds flat.

Now, let me know when he really says something stupid or hypocritical.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'd call it a spin-off. As far as I know nothing from Scary-Go-Round was written out, they just started following other characters in the universe.
Also, it wasn't the first time the main characters changed (and went back and forth a few times).

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

Uh, wow, I never knew people took webcomics so seriously.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Uh, wow, I never knew people took webcomics so seriously.
You're newer, so I don't know if you know where this forum came from. We were basically refugees from when Scott Kurtz decided to blow up his own forums.

Zappit

Zappit

Zappit ... I hate to say this, but... The whole Photoshopped Kurtz tweet thing? Bad form, sir. Bad form.

You know how easy it is to rile up this bunch with Kurtz mouthing off or doing stupid or hypocritical shit. This could've gone from zero to shitstorm in two seconds flat.

Now, let me know when he really says something stupid or hypocritical.
Sorry, man. I thought it would be obvious they were fake.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Sorry, man. I thought it would be obvious they were fake.
When it comes to Kurtz mouthing off, assume nothing.

Zappit

Zappit

When it comes to Kurtz mouthing off, assume nothing.
That's just...really sad. There's virtually no difference between a Kurtz meltdown and a satirical take on it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That's just...really sad. There's virtually no difference between a Kurtz meltdown and a satirical take on it.
I actually thought he was satirizing himself, some of those were pretty funny.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You're newer, so I don't know if you know where this forum came from. We were basically refugees from when Scott Kurtz decided to blow up his own forums.
And there's a lot of bad blood between Buckley and Kurtz, especially when Buckley blew up the Rapscallions guild on Dark Iron.

strawman

strawman

The whole Photoshopped Kurtz tweet thing? Bad form, sir. Bad form.
If you can't make fun of the person that brought us all together and then kicked us to the curb in the worst way possible, who can you make fun of?

Zappit

Zappit

If you can't make fun of the person that brought us all together and then kicked us to the curb in the worst way possible, who can you make fun of?
Kicked us to the curb TWICE. He also blew up on a couple of my old Bomb Shelter brothers with no provocation some years back, so he's spread that bad blood around pretty liberally.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm not saying he shouldn't be made fun of. My problem was that one couldn't easily tell if this was fake or not. Like Zapp himself said, it's difficult to parody a Tastemaker meltdown when the man's known for sticking feet in his mouth.

Heck, speaking of that, can anyone find doomdragon6 's comics that tell the tale of Halfpixel Bombing and the Rise of Halforums?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Never mind, I found them... although the first three are rather tiny for some reason.

A brief history on the origins of Halforums:

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

I am so confused. But I from what was explained, there's bad blood between one webcomic creator and another, and they constantly one up each other like grade school children playing kickball at recess? Is that about right?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am so confused. But I from what was explained, there's bad blood between one webcomic creator and another, and they constantly one up each other like grade school children playing kickball at recess? Is that about right?
Pretty much. Not all web-comic artists gain the mentality of elementary school children, but enough of them are.

Zappit

Zappit

Not about right. Exactly right.

drifter

drifter

It's my understanding that Buckley has actually matured, and hasn't engaged with Kurtz's feces-flinging for quite some time. Can anyone who follows CAD confirm/deny?

Espy

Espy

Oh man. PVP. I remember PVP. I used to have a bookmark that went there. CAD too.

Frank

Frank

It's my understanding that Buckley has actually matured, and hasn't engaged with Kurtz's feces-flinging for quite some time. Can anyone who follows CAD confirm/deny?
After he took that CAD charity money and bought himself a tablet, showed his dick to people underage, sent cease and desist orders to people for doing fanart (while simultaneously ripping off professional artists) and has continually shown himself to be ignorant and racist?

It doesn't matter, as little of a fan of Kurtz I am, Buckley deserves every bit of shitting he gets.

Zappit

Zappit

Shitting such as this - I did this some years back, could only find two pages of it, but it's Tim as a police sketch artist with his former forum mod ( a notorious hardass who banned people for even slightly criticizing Tim) as his sidekick.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The handlebar helmet... so... awesome...

drifter

drifter

Whoa, a lot of that is news to me. I guess Buckley was a bigger dirtbag than I realized.

Zappit

Zappit

Yep. For a few years, he had a me too attitude. Penny Arcade starts a charity? He does too, and keeps money. Kurtz gets a server on WoW? Buckley does, too, then kills it and keeps the money his fans paid into it, all the while banning them from his forums if they brought it up. Kurtz gets a cartoon series for the web? Look who else did, and it's much worse. Penny Arcade starts its own gaming con? Bucko tried and failed to copy it.

Frank

Frank

Except I think he did the shitty cartoon with Blind Ferret before Kurtz did (and PvP cartoon, being an entirely different debacle, was actually a HELL of a lot better than the CAD abortion...or is it miscarriage?).

Bowielee

Bowielee

Whoa, a lot of that is news to me. I guess Buckley was a bigger dirtbag than I realized.
That's not even getting into the time he had nude pics running around the net.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I actually thought he was satirizing himself, some of those were pretty funny.
I thought they were real too, and that Steve Kuntz was trying to satirize himself.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And this month in the webcomics world, Tim Buckley decides his gravy train doesn't need an engine.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

Thats because you don't need an engine for this gravy train. all you need to do is stick wheels on it and drive it into the sea.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So who wants to bet which web celebrity pisses off their fan base next? I'm guessiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin the Power House guys. Maybe they pull some Cerebus into their toons.

Null

Null

Okay, so now he's referring to it as "the end of Ctrl-Alt-Del v1.0" which just tells me that he's the sort of dickbag that, to paraphrase an apt description of Rob Liefeld, "Even when he turns his backwards baseball cap around, it's still on backwards."

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think the big deal is, it's not that he ended his main comic's story, it's that he ended it so badly. I mean, despite what he says, it really feels like 2 strips ago he decided "you know what I don't wanna draw this any more, how can I end this as quickly as possible?" and did that. It would have been better to finish out his time travel arc, and end with a corny ensemble-on-couch shot or something, the end. This "AND THEN HE DIED THE END" is just lazy writing.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This "AND THEN HE DIED THE END" is just lazy writing.
Actually what I was trying to say earlier.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

This "AND THEN HE DIED THE END" is just lazy writing.
Agreed... it's a crappy copout. The guy had been drawing this for what... ten years? He could have toughed out a few more weeks and given some proper closure.

R

Raemon777

I honestly do not think it would have been any better if it had been extended. I'd rather CAD go out (or "transition") with a weird, abrupt ending than an attempt by Buckley to write something clever and classy that "did justice to the characters." There was no justice that could have been done here.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I honestly do not think it would have been any better if it had been extended. I'd rather CAD go out (or "transition") with a weird, abrupt ending than an attempt by Buckley to write something clever and classy that "did justice to the characters." There was no justice that could have been done here.
Actually, until this ill-conceived time travel arc, CAD was actually getting a lot better than it had been previously. Then this happened.

Bowielee

Bowielee

You're saying tha Buckley doesn't know how to wrap up a storyline?

untitled.png

INCONCIEVABLE!

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

David

David

That made me laugh far more than it should have.

Far

Far

LittleSin

LittleSin

A bit better, honestly.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

At least it was better then the last "The End".

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

CAD v2.0 will continue on as normal, it's just each new strip will have "The End" at the end.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Extended Cut will be free until 2014.

figmentPez

figmentPez

And Kurtz is bitching about it on Twitter.

Zappit

Zappit

And Kurtz is bitching about it on Twitter.
Zero surprise. This is a guy who'll go through three Louisville Sluggers on an equine corpse before he realizes it's dead. He'll be harping on it throughout the next dozen or so "The End" strips.

I'd post more satirical Twitter feeds, but apparently I make them too authentic.

Though, I do have to point out there might be some real self-loathing on Tim's part. Ethan is based on Tim, and Tim basically wrote that Ethan is a terrible person and deserves a rotten ending.

Then he made Ethan a Christ figure and focus of a church. Oh, well. There goes that theory. Derp.

figmentPez

figmentPez

At least we got a new Webcomics Weekly out of this.

Frank

Frank

OH GOD.

That's maybe the worst thing ever.

Seriously. How fucking up your own ass is that?

Church of fucking gaming.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I thought the everyone moving on was alright, but the church of gaming shit was ridiculous. Personally I think ending it on the white-out frame would have been better.

Bubble181

Bubble181

This one might've worked as an ending, had it not been added so slap-dash after the "The End" one.
Also, no reason why they're so sad and whatnot - he's been gone with weird science stuff happening in the basement before.
Third, the Church thing...Myeah.

Gusto

Gusto

Plus the idea that ALL other characters would go on to dedicate their lives to his memory. Because he was such an annoying prick who was good at video games a genuinely good person .

figmentPez

figmentPez

Wait... I thought all of their lives fell apart without having to look after Ethan. When he got smart all the extra time they had not looking after him led them to video game addictions and reckless thrill-seeking.

Gusto

Gusto

Wait... I thought all of their lives fell apart without having to look after Ethan. When he got smart all the extra time they had not looking after him led them to video game addictions and reckless thrill-seeking.
Yup. In the story RIGHT BEFORE THIS ONE.

strawman

strawman

This thread is making me glad I dropped CAD many moons ago...

GasBandit

GasBandit

At least it was an attempt at closure. Pity it had to be badgered out of him. Oh, and don't get so worked up about the church of gaming bit, it's not like anybody attended it's dedication other than Lilah, judging by the panel.

strawman

strawman

At least it was an attempt at closure. Pity it had to be badgered out of him. Oh, and don't get so worked up about the church of gaming bit, it's not like anybody attended it's dedication other than Lilah, judging by the panel.
The church of gaming was a one off joke that, like the lolbat, was overused and used poorly. But when I was reading it years ago ethan was trying to establish a gaming religion, primarily spurred on by the idea of replacing religious holidays with gaming holidays. So it's not unexpected to me, but perhaps it hasn't been brought up nearly every holiday like it had last decade.

Gusto

Gusto

Also the church of gaming was a one-shot PVP storyline long before Tim did anything with it.

Gusto

Gusto

At least we got a new Webcomics Weekly out of this.
Ooooo, we did! Awesome! Last time Scott went on a tear bitching about Buckley on WW, Kellett and Guigar kind of told him he was being ridiculous.

And the fun thing is that they've titled it "Webcomics Weekly #1: Reboots". :)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Also the church of gaming was a one-shot PVP storyline long before Tim did anything with it.
"Dude, I'm noobish" is still one of my favorite punchlines.

Gusto

Gusto

It was actually a pretty good podcast. I'm excited for a possible return of WW.

Frank

Frank

Kurtz's been pretty gleefully shitty about the whole thing, but this tweet of his made me chuckle:

I guess in Tim's strip, a woman can carry a baby to term if the baby's purpose is a tribute to the main character.

Zappit

Zappit

Scott. Kurtz. He's already moved on to the next thing he'll hype to no end and ditch almost immediately.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

What the heck is WW?

figmentPez

figmentPez

What the heck is WW?
Webcomics Weekly, the podcast with Kurtz, Straub, Guigar and Kellet (I think I got the cast list right.)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

He said something about "one last cast" in his newspost about it, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

I read through a good portion of CAD over the past few days. It's a pretty bad comic.

Gusto

Gusto

Yup.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Frank

Frank

ha ha ha ha HA HA HAAA!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't get it? It's the same comic three times with different colouring?

bhamv3

bhamv3

I don't get it? It's the same comic three times with different colouring?
That's because the comic doesn't show what happens after he presses the button. In one, the machine blows up. In the second, he gains complete control over the machine. In the third, he merges with the machine and becomes some sort of cyborg.

Oh, and in all three versions, his car gets blown up for no discernible reason.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't know if that explanation is supposed to be serious or not because I don't see that at all in what was posted.

tegid

tegid

I believe it's a reference to the ending of Mass Effect 3.

Frank

Frank

It's making fun of CAD for having a terrible ending. Not too dissimilar from the awful Mass Effect 3 Ending.

Gusto

Gusto

Scott actually made a great point on WW: if Ethan had to do something using some computer that would basically reset the universe, and is shown as pushing a button rather than, oh, say, hitting Ctrl Alt Del, what a waste that is.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Scott actually made a great point on WW: if Ethan had to do something using some computer that would basically reset the universe, and is shown as pushing a button rather than, oh, say, hitting Ctrl Alt Del, what a waste that is.
That whole podcast was amazing. I hope they start doing it again.

Gusto

Gusto

That whole podcast was amazing. I hope they start doing it again.
I almost lost my shit during their discussion of the Skyfall opening credits.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I believe it's a reference to the ending of Mass Effect 3.
Ohhhhh. Yeah, I didn't play the game, so the reference was lost on me.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ohhhhh. Yeah, I didn't play the game, so the reference was lost on me.
There was quite a bit of loudness all across the internet about it. I never played ME3 either, but I know about red, green, and blue endings, about "His Name Was Marauder Shields," etc.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

"His Name Was Marauder Shields,"

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

I listened to the podcast, and while I agree with a lot of what was said, I can't agree with some of it. As bad as it was to fridge Lilah, I don't feel like it was really a betrayal of the characters to do that. Zeke is more than a little psychotic, and it's been set up for a while that he's not entirely trustworthy. Also, sometimes media doesn't have happy endings. We are not owed a happy ending for characters, and it's not a "screw you" to the audience to end in a tragedy. Moreover, I don't feel like the ending was a downer. Ethan went out a hero, even without the Mary Sue ending tacked on afterwards. It didn't wipe out years of comics any more than the The Amazing Spider-Man wiped out the previous three films. Those comics still exist.

Disagreement on the ending aside, there was another point: Buckley actually has written a female character who didn't exist to be a romantic interest for one of the male characters. Abby the game store customer was a rival for Ethan. Sure, she was a copy of someone else's design, but she was a named character who wasn't simply a romantic conquest.

David

David

The new CAD comics are in my opinion... just not funny. It seems like he's gone back to setting up the joke with too many panels and not giving enough payoff. All that dramatic "CAD is changing forever" for this... color me underwhelmed.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I have to agree. Though admittedly, I think the idea of four generic gaming characters living together. I especially like the idea that there's a regeneration...thing...right in their house.

Of course, all the great ideas in the world can't save them from horrible execution.

KCWM

KCWM

I have to agree. Though admittedly, I think the idea of four generic gaming characters living together. I especially like the idea that there's a regeneration...thing...right in their house.

Of course, all the great ideas in the world can't save them from horrible execution.
I'm guessing that you didn't finish your thought and you were going to say that the idea of four generic gaming characters living together is <insert something positive>.

I'll admit to being entertained by CAD before the ending. I didn't laugh out loud like I do with PVP from time to time (both suffered from something similar over the last couple of years), but I still found reason to read. The only reason I check CAD after these few post-ending comics is out of habit. I also think the idea of four gaming characters living together is interesting and has potential, along with the in-house regen pod, but it's just stumbled out of the gate. If it were a new webcomic, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt but he's been doing these characters for a long time and the previous comics involving them worked a lot better. Perhaps they aren't strong enough to sustain a comic.

Adam

Adam

I'm guessing that you didn't finish your thought and you were going to say that the idea of four generic gaming characters living together is <insert something positive>.
No, Something Positive is a different comic altogether.

Necronic

Necronic

Kind of funny watching Kurtz bash CAD at this point when his comic has become so completely laughably bad and Buckley has at least tried to do something (even if it wasn't great).

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh crap, I just laughed at the latest CAD... does this mean something is seriously wrong with me?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh crap, I just laughed at the latest CAD... does this mean something is seriously wrong with me?
Ehh... didn't get any chuckle out of me.

Calleja

Calleja

I'm reading this thread from the very start, and people may mention something more about this later but I'm still on page two and there's no RAAAAGE icon thingie, so.. AGH THIS MOTHERFUCKER, HE WAS MAKING FUN OF HALFPIXEL, DID YOU FUCKING SEE THAT!? THE NERVE!! GAAHHH

sorry. continuing with the reading of the past.[DOUBLEPOST=1357544915][/DOUBLEPOST]
Really, though, just to be clear. I made those Twitter images. Kurtz still posted like a braying jackass, but those last few were mine.
Oh you fucker. You got me like 2 months later. Bravo.

Calleja

Calleja

Wow, this thread was a trip down memory lane something fierce.

I was part of the Rapscallions, the WoW guild Buckley killed. Did I ever tell you guys that? I used to be a CAD fan in like.. 2005? Damn.

Also, whatever happened to Starslip? I followed it pretty closely and then I remember a reboot and then.. nothing. I guess I stopped reading it without even noticing.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Do you still play on Dark Iron? I've been a member of Panda Attack the last 5 years or so. Some of the old timers that were around during the Rapscallions incident still hold a grudge against Buckley.

Calleja

Calleja

Nah, I left WoW like, well, 5 years ago, heh. I was one of the refugees from the Rapscallions that Panda Attack "took in". That's actually the reason, I think, I'm here with you guys now, that's when I joined the PvP forums. I remember an AWESOME fight of like 25 vs 25 against the Penny Arcade guild. Awesome times.

David

David

Also, whatever happened to Starslip? I followed it pretty closely and then I remember a reboot and then.. nothing. I guess I stopped reading it without even noticing.
Somehow it totally missed my mind until I went to check, but he's had a new comic apparently running. http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/2012/10/08/broodhollow/
If I have one criticism of Straub, it's that he ends projects before I'd like him to. I was loving F-chords before he cut it. But at least he doesn't say he'll do it then just let it fade away into the night.

Adam

Adam

Somehow it totally missed my mind until I went to check, but he's had a new comic apparently running. http://broodhollow.chainsawsuit.com/2012/10/08/broodhollow/
If I have one criticism of Straub, it's that he ends projects before I'd like him to. I was loving F-chords before he cut it. But at least he doesn't say he'll do it then just let it fade away into the night.
My life for the swarm. (Wrong game)

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I smiled, but he's still doing that thing where 2/3 of the comic is explaining the joke with words. He should have used those panels to show Jedi actually using the straps, and being amazed at how awesome they are.

Calleja

Calleja

Huh. So we never got to know what happened to Vanderbeam and Co? That's really sad. I liked Starslip. I miss being a webcomic junkie, sometimes.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Huh. So we never got to know what happened to Vanderbeam and Co? That's really sad. I liked Starslip. I miss being a webcomic junkie, sometimes.
No, Starslip had a nice ending to it. You should catch up on it. It's still there.

David

David

I was just going through some old archives looking for a particular comic. It's really eerie how much he lays on fanboy praise of Scott Kurtz in his early blog posts.