Export thread

Brexit

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Holy shit you guys.

Is anyone else watching this?

It's so tense! Leave then Remain then Leave, then Leave, then Remain, and it's so exciting! Also, Lindsay Lohan? Is live tweeting the Brexit? It's surreal.

Holy fuckin' shit!

I hope they remain, but good lord, in the meantime, what a ride.

The pound has fallen substantially in anticipation of a Leave victory.

Yikes.

Dave

Dave

Yeah, I'm watching this live as well on my other screen while I do other things. I have to admit, 2016 has been the year of exciting politics.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I thought Remain would win handily, but thus far Leave's got the lead.

Dave

Dave

Looks like the nationalists have won the day. It would take a miracle at this point for the remain to win.

So GB is going to lose their place in the European markets and have to completely renegotiate ALL of their trade deals. And that's just for starters.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

How could they make this decision!

Dave

Dave

Fear of the muslims and of the EU requiring the allowance of refugees. At least that's what I've gotten out of it. I've also heard about a "win over multinationalism and big business interests" but I don't know enough to speak on that.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Fear, and Bigotry. Everything that the nationalists believe in. "Make Britain Great Again."

strawman

strawman

They never adopted the Euro, and never went "all in" with Europe. The process will take a year or two, and there are a number of outcomes that could leave it closer to the EU than a lot of people are thinking right now. In the immediate future the markets will be all wonky as people exit, then others enter hoping to buy while it's low, and many British companies will be bought over the next few months if the pound remains low - which will have the effect of bringing it up. So while things will be rocky for a bit, it'll all settle down.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I actually understand - I just meant it in a more rhetorical, 'how doesn't everyone agree with me' way.

This is everything I love about news cycles. I can never sleep on election nights.

strawman

strawman

A lot of them are unhappy with the decisions made at the EU level - they believe that Britain has little say in its own economy and that the EU benefits more from having Britain in it than Britain benefits from being in it. They may be right for certain sectors of the economy, and wrong for others, so it's not a slam-dunk in terms of proving it one way or the other. While they are not in financial distress, many are concerned at the level of control the EU has over country economies - forcing some countries to accept loans and austerity measures, for instance, doesn't sit well with some.

The reality is that the EU was formed as an economic development entity, and has been able to regularize things economically, but not politically. There are many within the EU, however, who are trying to turn the EU into a US style republic, and insert some politics into the EU governance - they feel they're supporting some countries that are making bad economic decisions due to their politics, and that a more powerful EU might be able to be more efficient.

So while that's unlikely, and it's more likely that the EU will never be more than an economic entity, the fears and unhappiness over existing decisions affecting people have led many to believe they'd be better off without membership in the EU.[DOUBLEPOST=1466739412,1466739373][/DOUBLEPOST]
I actually understand - I just meant it in a more rhetorical, 'how doesn't everyone agree with me' way.

This is everything I love about news cycles. I can never sleep on election nights.
Ah, well then you'll want to ignore the post I made while you were typing yours... ;)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fear of the muslims and of the EU requiring the allowance of refugees. At least that's what I've gotten out of it. I've also heard about a "win over multinationalism and big business interests" but I don't know enough to speak on that.
I think the idea is that there are businesses that want to base themselves in Europe but that don't want to deal with the EU's trade laws on their home turf. The expectation is that a lot of businesses are going to re-HQ in Britain to avoid some of the tax and accountability issues, while still remaining close enough to their markets to be able to react to them quickly. Personally, I don't see if happening for a few years... Britain's going to hit a recession from this and the relevant parties are going to deal with the immigration situation in the mean time. No point in setting up shop if you might get swept up in whatever anti-immigrant maelstrom that is about to happen.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Crap, I have two sisters and two brothers-in-law based in the UK. I hope they'll be all right.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Turns out the referendum is not legally binding. Parliament can still go, "yeah, no. We're staying put."

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Turns out the referendum is not legally binding. Parliament can still go, "yeah, no. We're staying put."
I don't think the Brexit was the right decision but I can recognize that denying the will of those people, after it had been put to a vote, is basically asking for your country to collapse into riots. And considering the British are well know for rioting after soccer games or because of increases on college costs, I can only imagine the anarchy they would get from that... and the muslim immigrant community is going to get THE WORST of it.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

oh god everythings fucked D:

to recap:

the pound dropped to the lowest its been since 1985.

scotland voted *entirely* remain. and the "staying in europe" thing was a huge art of the "better together" campaign, so we will almost certainly get another referendum on scottish independence.

wales isn't going to be getting its 500 million from the EU, so its back to being a shithole, unless westminster actually cares, which it doesn't.

and sinn fein is talking about reunification.

GOOD FUCKING JOB DAVE. YOU ABSOLUTE TWAT.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And now France and Italy are talking about leaving. And Ireland wants to stay with EU.

So we're looking at potential dissolution of the EU's major players, as well as the dissolution of the UK.

I'm sure the global economy will recover soon enough, but Europe is going to be reeling. Dave Cameron introduces this shit, then runs away from the consequences of his actions.

Frank

Frank

This seems to be a common reaction currently:

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

http://www.ft.com/fastft/2016/06/24/boris-johnson-no-need-to-trigger-article-50/

and there we have it. boris will get to be prime minister, will backtrack on leaving the EU. gets both of what he wanted in the first place.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

A lot of them are unhappy with the decisions made at the EU level - they believe that Britain has little say in its own economy and that the EU benefits more from having Britain in it than Britain benefits from being in it.
So, a mini American Revolution ;)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I asked a Cat the same question I posed in here earlier. He blew up my twitter...

Dave

Dave

GOOD FUCKING JOB DAVE. YOU ABSOLUTE TWAT.
The fuck did I do?!?

;)[DOUBLEPOST=1466770968,1466770735][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's my $.02.

If Donald Trump thinks it's a good idea, it's probably the worst possible decision.

Kovac

Kovac

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Shakey

Shakey

This shows just how possible a Trump presidency is.

Dave

Dave

This shows just how possible a Trump presidency is.
You shut your whore mouth!

Frank

Frank

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europ...ng&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

The EU telling England it doesn't get to flounder on this and Cameron doesn't get to skirt responsibility on it by passing it off to someone else. Get the fuck out then.

Terrik

Terrik

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europ...ng&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

The EU telling England it doesn't get to flounder on this and Cameron doesn't get to skirt responsibility on it by passing it off to someone else. Get the fuck out then.
Well, I mean, yeah, fair enough.

strawman

strawman

You guys got me all excited that the UKPO dropped significantly compared to the USD, but it's not a big enough drop to make sense purchasing junk from them. I was hoping to get a good deal on a bunch of Raspberry PIs and other electronics, but the shipping still kills it.

Frank

Frank

Now's the time to buy Forgeworld models. Free shipping over 200 pounds.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yep. A lot of people seem to think they could re-negotiate, get some more power, more benefits and so on, postpone leaving near-indefinitely and get some more out of the deal,....Well, fuck off. They've held back further integration for decades, they forced the expansion Eastward which was One Huge Mistake, they want out - then get out. And even though it'll hurt us, especially, economically, I hope they really do go out completely. This is a victory of the Old White Scared Man and they screwed over their youth and everyone. Seriously, check out the voting turnout and voting choice per age bracket....jackasses.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

You guys got me all excited that the UKPO dropped significantly compared to the USD, but it's not a big enough drop to make sense purchasing junk from them. I was hoping to get a good deal on a bunch of Raspberry PIs and other electronics, but the shipping still kills it.
I was in the same boat. I went to xe.com to see how much cheaper a Tony Dixon whistle (which comes from England) would be. $50 instead of $60. Not enough to really make a speedy purchase worthwhile.

strawman

strawman

I was in the same boat. I went to xe.com to see how much cheaper a Tony Dixon whistle (which comes from England) would be. $50 instead of $60. Not enough to really make a speedy purchase worthwhile.
Complicating things is a lot of what they're selling is actually based on dollars and Euros, and a number of retailers are updating their prices to account for this so they don't lose anything selling stuff below what they can buy it for.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Trump has stepped in it again, and Scotland let's him know about it, big time...

Denbrought

Denbrought

Two days ago I started a bank transfer so I could put some of my cash in the market. It finished this morning, and when I logged to Vanguard to do my thing, this pops up: Brexit: What does Vanguard think?

It's basically the essay quivalent of "KEEP CALM YOU IDIOT", but a decently informative read nonetheless.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I dunno, I'm just here to roast marshmallows.

Bubble181

Bubble181

GasBandit

GasBandit

Having a degree doesn't always mean smarter about economics/politics.

Dave

Dave

Having a degree doesn't always mean smarter about economics/politics.
And not having a degree almost guarantees complete ignorance of it.

Dave

Dave

Disagree all you want, but without a basis in critical thinking (and possibly some underpinnings of economics), all you rely on is the media. And the uneducated tend to use sites like Fox News for their opinions.

Terrik

Terrik

I thought the media was run by people WITH degrees. Which means.....people who rely on the media are relying on people with degrees to give them their information but it's unreliable because the people who rely on it are people without degrees. The conclusion is you cannot trust people with degrees.

:wololo:

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Actually, I'm disagreeing because nobody understands politics and economics. It's all just an assortment of guesses, with one random person turning out to be right. Maybe. Sometimes we have to a wait until everybody buys another ticket before there's a winner.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Disagree all you want, but without a basis in critical thinking (and possibly some underpinnings of economics), all you rely on is the media. And the uneducated tend to use sites like Fox News for their opinions.
You should be aware..I don't have a degree. And I know plenty of people who have one that watch Fox News. I'm pretty sure that having a degree or not is less of an indicator than, say, geographic location and upbringing.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Not having a degree is not the same as being uneducated.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've made some pretty wild blanket statements in my time, but saying everybody without a degree is guaranteed ignorant is waaaaay out there.

Dave

Dave

I've made some pretty wild blanket statements in my time, but saying everybody without a degree is guaranteed ignorant is waaaaay out there.
Okay I tried to use your words and turn them around. Let me clarify. If you don't have any underpinnings of education in economics, it's extremely difficult to gain any meaningful insight to macro- and micro-economics. That isn't to say that you can't, just that those who do not have education tend to look more at sound-bytes and very slanted "feelings-based" economics from suspect sources. Yes, like Fox News.

(I should never post while sitting in meetings. I tend to be succinct to the point of incomprehensibility.)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

C'mon guys. Go easy on Mr Elitist. He's just trying to drum up business for the university where he works.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Okay I tried to use your words and turn them around. Let me clarify. If you don't have any underpinnings of education in economics, it's extremely difficult to gain any meaningful insight to macro- and micro-economics. That isn't to say that you can't, just that those who do not have education tend to look more at sound-bytes and very slanted "feelings-based" economics from suspect sources. Yes, like Fox News.

(I should never post while sitting in meetings. I tend to be succinct to the point of incomprehensibility.)
I know plenty of people with humanities and STEM degrees (so it's not just liberal arts majors!) who are just as ignorant about economics and world politics as any yokel dropout you could name, and you're still painting with a reeeeeally broad brush there, pilgrim.

Also, education doesn't cure confirmation bias.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

yeah um. it's a little classist to people that can't afford school. And also with the low barrier to all the information on the internet...

Denbrought

Denbrought

Gibraltar voted Remain at 95.9%, so the Spanish government is furiously masturbating. Gibraltar's residents don't want to be Spanish, but they don't want a border with Spain.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Gibraltar voted Remain at 95.9%, so the Spanish government is furiously masturbating. Gibraltar's residents don't want to be Spanish, but they don't want a border with Spain.
Time for Spain to kidnap some monkeys.

Dave

Dave

yeah um. it's a little classist to people that can't afford school. And also with the low barrier to all the information on the internet...
Yeah, there's a low barrier for information. How much of it is good or accurate? It's the three pillars rule: easy to access, good information, easy to understand. Pick 2.

And I work in an open admissions university. Anyone with any grades can go here. We have the poorest of the poor and those in the 1% who go here. Yeah, books and loans can be a barrier of entry, but we work with everyone. I'm also on several scholarship committees to try and help people out. So not elitist at all. I just find that way, WAY too many people get their information from sources that are suspect. Like (again) Fox news or Facebook.

blotsfan

blotsfan

This really gets more and more dumb with every new detail (I had no idea any of that area was Britain before this).

GasBandit

GasBandit

Saw an interesting post about Brexit... "Boy, those people who didn't vote the way I wanted them to after I spent months calling them racists sure are retarded!"

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

How many people watch Fox Noise in the UK? The Sun or the Daily Mail, however... :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1466807619,1466807554][/DOUBLEPOST]

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

So. after todays fucking insanity, with god knows how much money wiped off the uk markets, and mas uncertainty to follow.

Cameron has announced his resignation in october, he won't be pushing the button on article 50, because he's too much of a fucking coward to do the deed himself. the next prime minister is all but guaranteed to be Boris Johnson. god help us all. farage is just sitting back with his pint and cackling like the fascist fucksponge that he is. jeremy corbyn, leader of the opposition, was next to useless during the referendum, and faces a vote of no confidence too.

Boris wants a 'slow and careful' exit, and isn't rushing to push the button. The EU however, rather understandably, is telling him 'fuck you, do it ASAP', because in order to stamp out any chain reactions of this kind of shit, they have to make an example of the UK. soooo... we're probably fucked further. "trade deal like turkey gets" is being thrown around at this precise moment, which is ironic, given the panic about turkey joining the EU got us into this mess.

I have no idea what this going to do for my job-hunting, as a recession in a rapidly collapsing country is not the best place to start a job in the games industry. :(

scotland will leave the UK almost inevitably now.

and IAN PAISLEY of all people, IAN FUCKING PAISLEY

IS TELLING NORTHERN IRELAND PEOPLE TO GET AN IRISH PASSPORT IF THEY CAN.
which might be the most insane piece of news I've seen today.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Because they still think of themselves as an island, a thing they've been doing for tens of thousands of years.

--Patrick

Denbrought

Denbrought

If shit gets bleak for you, would emigrating to Israel be an option? IIRC they help you relocate, and they do have a tech industry.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

This must suggest that I'm always in meetings.

--Patrick

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

If shit gets bleak for you, would emigrating to Israel be an option? IIRC they help you relocate, and they do have a tech industry.
I've been looking at places... in case. maybe new zealand, I've heard good things.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've been looking at places... in case. maybe new zealand, I've heard good things.
You can be a hobbit!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm still waiting for @Grytpipe-Thynne to weigh in.
Assuming they haven't taken away his Internet access, of course.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

bhamv3

bhamv3

If I see Jeremy Clarkson roll up his sleeves, I'm going to assume he's about to punch someone.

chris

chris

That was fast. Farage admits one day after the votes that he can't actually guarantee the 350 million (a wrong number anyway) will go into the National Healthcare Service.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

woopsie!

Dave

Dave

The best line I heard about the whole thing was on NPR and it was not a line that was said on purpose. They were talking about France leaving and they called it "Frexit". They then asked the German they had on the panel if they would ever leave and the person said, "No, there will be no "Gerxit". The NPR correspondent said, "Because the name would be horrible!" Then they giggled.

It doesn't translate into text, I guess, but they pronounced it like "Jerks it."

Dei

Dei

mikerc

mikerc

Wat.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Chuck Tingle strikes again!
I like how he has coopted the "Hugo-Nominated" badge.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Chuck Tingle strikes again!
I like how he has coopted the "Hugo-Nominated" badge.

--Patrick
You can bet he's going to smack that on everything. Hell, there's probably already a chuck tingle book about having gay sex with a hugo award.[DOUBLEPOST=1466886611,1466886570][/DOUBLEPOST]There is!

PatrThom

PatrThom

There is!
Well of course there is. Mr. Tingle is obviously one who stays on top of current events. Smack on the pulse of the public, and all that.

--Patrick

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

I'm still waiting for @Grytpipe-Thynne to weigh in.
Assuming they haven't taken away his Internet access, of course.

--Patrick
Still here Patrick. I have just read the previous posts. Not sure what all the flap is about. We will not be leaving NATO so there is no difference in Balance of Power, and Commerce and Corporates have a way of increasing profits from any set backs.

Two or three million immigrants could probably be absorbed in the USA with little impact, but UK is already grossly over populated, and services, housing, employment and more are at breaking point.

The EU started as a loose trading group of countries. It grew into large group of self interested confederation of countries which has grown too quickly
and without forethought. Imagine a union of North America where the President of the USA has to do what Panama says.

As for UK, we have managed to survive a few set backs in the past and I am sure that we will in the future.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

so theres a petition going round at the moment, effectively calling for a do-over, since the victory margin was so very slim, and rather a lot of people feel they were misled at best, outright lied to at worst.

naturally, brexiteers are, probably rightly, pissed at this attempt at subverting direct democracy. "how dare they, they'd flip their shit if this had happened in reverse!"

except...

it was started before the votes were in, by a member of the "english democrats" party in the belief that leave was going to lose. whoops.
the petition is currently at 3.1 million and steadily rising.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

so theres a petition going round at the moment, effectively calling for a do-over, since the victory margin was so very slim, and rather a lot of people feel they were misled at best, outright lied to at worst.

naturally, brexiteers are, probably rightly, pissed at this attempt at subverting direct democracy. "how dare they, they'd flip their shit if this had happened in reverse!"

except...

it was started before the votes were in, by a member of the "english democrats" party in the belief that leave was going to lose. whoops.
the petition is currently at 3.1 million and steadily rising.
I suspect that, as usual, most of those who are now complaining did not vote. If so they have no right to query the result.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

update:

leave have no plan. Like, literally.

Labours decided that the responsible thing to do in this situation, is to have an all out backstabathon. half the shadow cabinets resigned, with Jeremy Corbyn determined to stay on, for some insane reason. and the deputy leader of the party, Tom Watson is currently AWOL on a train, after spending the night partying at glastonbury.

I've stopped being scared, and now i'm finding the funny side, because the modern role of 'prophet' has apparently gone to Armando Iannucci and Charlie Brooker.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

update:

leave have no plan. Like, literally.

Labours decided that the responsible thing to do in this situation, is to have an all out backstabathon. half the shadow cabinets resigned, with Jeremy Corbyn determined to stay on, for some insane reason. and the deputy leader of the party, Tom Watson is currently AWOL on a train, after spending the night partying at glastonbury.

I've stopped being scared, and now i'm finding the funny side, because the modern role of 'prophet' has apparently gone to Armando Iannucci and Charlie Brooker.
At last! A right thinking candidate for Prime Minister.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And now we're onto #Regrexit.

Denbrought

Denbrought

According to an Opinion poll from the IoD (wikipedia's who-are-they link), businesses in the UK are rattled.

Highlights:
  • Nearly two-thirds (64%) of IoD members think the result is negative for their business, against 23% who think it is positive (only 9% say it makes no difference)
  • A third (32%) say hiring will continue at the same pace, but a quarter (24%) will put a freeze on recruitment, and 5% will make redundancies
  • 1 in 5 (22%) are considering moving some of their operations outside of the UK; only 1% say they will bring operations back
  • IoD Director General says: “we will not lose our faith in the ability of British firms to overcome these obstacles“

Fun Size

Fun Size

As for UK, we have managed to survive a few set backs in the past and I am sure that we will in the future.
And the award for "Most Unflappably British Thing I've Seen On The Internet This Week" goes to...

PatrThom

PatrThom

And the award for "Most Unflappably British Thing I've Seen On The Internet This Week" goes to...
Well, when you have literal boots-on-the-ground experience with something like WW2 to compare against, you are entitled to say things like that and mean it without irony.

--Patrick

Denbrought

Denbrought

The shitposting is getting pretty elaborate.

Dave

Dave

Apparently the vote result has caused the racists to scurry from their little hidey holes and be emboldened to spew their shit in the light of day.

Frank

Frank

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

that particular facepalm was in response to farage going "a "no trade deal" is going to be worse for you than it is for us' specifically.

And I want to hide in a bin in shame.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Apparently the vote result has caused the racists to scurry from their little hidey holes and be emboldened to spew their shit in the light of day.
And some of it's the super duper esoteric kind of racism most Americans have a hard time wrapping their head around - racism against people of the same skin color. For example, the Polish. To an American, a Briton being racist against a Pole would be like a New Yorker holding "racist" views about someone because they were born in Indiana.

Bubble181

Bubble181

And some of it's the super duper esoteric kind of racism most Americans have a hard time wrapping their head around - racism against people of the same skin color. For example, the Polish. To an American, a Briton being racist against a Pole would be like a New Yorker holding "racist" views about someone because they were born in Indiana.
Yes, I've never heard of anyone in the US being racist against, say, the Irish, or the Italian immigrants.

Racism is dumb and stupid and whatnot, but this statement is pretty silly.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes, I've never heard of anyone in the US being racist against, say, the Irish, or the Italian immigrants.

Racism is dumb and stupid and whatnot, but this statement is pretty silly.
To whatever degree that's still a thing, it must be concentrated in the northeast, because out here in flyover country, we're all german/czech/pole/dutch/norweigan/slovak/danish/greek/swedish/french/swiss and belgian and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Interestingly enough, the early briton colonies out here failed.

Bubble181

Bubble181

To whatever degree that's still a thing, it must be concentrated in the northeast, because out here in flyover country, we're all german/czech/pole/dutch/norweigan/slovak/danish/greek/swedish/french/swiss and belgian and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Interestingly enough, the early briton colonies out here failed.
And when a through-and-through Yankee comes to live in the middle of Buttfuck, TX, he won't be faced with prejudice and perhaps name-calling on the basis of where he's from? As long as you're white, everyone from all over the world, they're all perfectly welcome and treated as one of the club? Piffle.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And when a through-and-through Yankee comes to live in the middle of Buttfuck, TX, he won't be faced with prejudice and perhaps name-calling on the basis of where he's from? As long as you're white, everyone from all over the world, they're all perfectly welcome and treated as one of the club? Piffle.
Perhaps you heard, but the civil war was over 150 years ago. I moved here from Colorado. Our country station's program director is from Manhattan. Unlike Europe, we're not all frozen in the past :p

Dei

Dei

I mean shit, my mom was protestant, and my dad's family is Catholic, and for years she felt shit on by them. And no one involved is Irish, both sides of my family are heavily German, with a little Italian thrown in a few generations back.

I would say you notice it less just because as generations go by, people are becoming slightly less racist/more tolerant.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've been thinking about the first segment of this 6-year-old Autotune The News video a lot the last few days.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Pretty sure GasBandit also lives in Austin, like myself, which is a bit different then most other areas in Texas. It's a big melting pot area with a lot more liberal people moving out from other states, like California, due to the university. I like to call it the slice of California farthest from the coast. :p

If you head out east though, things get a little, different....

GasBandit

GasBandit

Pretty sure GasBandit also lives in Austin
Ha ha ha ha nooooo.

/whoop

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Pretty sure GasBandit also lives in Austin, like myself, which is a bit different then most other areas in Texas. It's a big melting pot area with a lot more liberal people moving out from other states, like California, due to the university. I like to call it the slice of California farthest from the coast. :p

If you head out east though, things get a little, different....
GB is in Aggieland. Which explains a whole hell of a lot. :troll:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Pretty sure GasBandit also lives in Austin
No, his smartphone runs Android, not iOS.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Howdy, Dammit. :p

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Dear god, it does....
Still fits my point a bit though, since I have found college towns have very different outlooks on race / religion / ethnicity then a lot more self-contained cities. I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that new blood always cycles in from around the nation and then either stays, or leaves, making way for even more new college blood. You can't really be as xenophobic in a college town.

Dave

Dave

When a buddy and mine were going from Camp Pendleton to Omaha we decided that we'd go through Texas because it was really one of the few ways to ignore mountains. Anyway, we stopped to sleep in this little Texas town in an abandoned train station. We basically just lay down on the ground with our packs under our heads for pillows. We'd been there a few hours when we were accosted by a police officer. He informed that "his" town didn't like vagrants or hippy bikers. We were Marines. We had high & tight haircuts - IN THE 80's!! To no avail. "You boys best be moving along." with the threat of legal trouble if we didn't. It was very, very First Blood. We were both white Marines, and the guy didn't like us because we were riding motorcycles.

Stupid racist people are everywhere. And almost like Rule 34, if something exists, there's someone that hates it and wants to ban it. But Brexit is making those idiots more mainstream and bold.

GasBandit

GasBandit

When a buddy and mine were going from Camp Pendleton to Omaha we decided that we'd go through Texas because it was really one of the few ways to ignore mountains. Anyway, we stopped to sleep in this little Texas town in an abandoned train station. We basically just lay down on the ground with our packs under our heads for pillows. We'd been there a few hours when we were accosted by a police officer. He informed that "his" town didn't like vagrants or hippy bikers. We were Marines. We had high & tight haircuts - IN THE 80's!! To no avail. "You boys best be moving along." with the threat of legal trouble if we didn't. It was very, very First Blood. We were both white Marines, and the guy didn't like us because we were riding motorcycles.

Stupid racist people are everywhere. And almost like Rule 34, if something exists, there's someone that hates it and wants to ban it. But Brexit is making those idiots more mainstream and bold.
... that story was not about racism.

Bubble181

Bubble181

"racism", "xenophobia", and "hatred of foreigners"' have gotten seriously mixed up these past years, and they're not the same. Still, you're the one who named it "racism" to be aggressive towards Polish or whatever. It isn't, as it has nothing to do with racism. Hatred of foreigners and "the other" is pretty universal, the naming convention may change.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Still, you're the one who named it "racism" to be aggressive towards Polish or whatever. It isn't, as it has nothing to do with racism.
Actually, it is. There is more than one "white" race. A lot more.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Most things called racism aren't; it's nationalism and xenophobia against those perceived as foreigners. Skin color or ethnicity really are just easy ways to distinguish who might belong or not and fairly irrelevant on the whole. This isn't the "Civil War" racism of "black people are worth 2/3rds of a white person", but "they're stealing our jobs"/"destroying our culture" economic racism, as is more prevalent vs Hispanics in America.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Most things called racism aren't; it's nationalism and xenophobia against those perceived as foreigners. Skin color or ethnicity really are just easy ways to distinguish who might belong or not and fairly irrelevant on the whole. This isn't the "Civil War" racism of "black people are worth 2/3rds of a white person", but "they're stealing our jobs"/"destroying our culture" economic racism, as is more prevalent vs Hispanics in America.
You're having a completely different conversation than me and everybody else, but what else is new.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We still have a bit of the Irish Vs German Vs Italian stuff here in the Westside of Columbus, OH but it'd be a stretch to call it racism these days. The religious stuff is an issue though; whether you are Catholic or Protestant can open and close doors here.

Bubble181

Bubble181

esoteric kind of racism most Americans have a hard time wrapping their head around - racism against people of the same skin color
ME: "there's been, and sometimes still is, racism against people of the same skin color. e.g. what the Irish and Italian people have been faced with in the recent past and sometimes still are"

Some others ITT: "if you go out west/outside of campus towns/etc, you still find it in places" and "I was faced with discrimination as an outsider while white"

ME: "discrimination towards outsiders is often called "racism" these days but is often reverse nationalism and has more to do with perceived otherness than race, strictly speaking".

Nuh-uh this is RACISM vs the Slavic ethnicity 'cause there's more than one white race! Oh, and have a free insult while you're at it!
ME: "...so? Fuck off".

GasBandit

GasBandit

ME: "...so? Fuck off".

Your summary is skewed and inaccurate. I know your panties are up your ass in the tightest of twists about your personal financial stuff lately so I'm trying not to take it personally, but you need to slow your roll, honky.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm still trying to find out how this little tiff got started.
...not the England one.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm still trying to find out how this little tiff got started.
...not the England one.

--Patrick
It started when people in the UK started acting bigoted. Therefore, let us blame the bigots for this little tiff, and we shall all agree that bigots are dicks.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Only thing wrong with that is he didn't read the "tiny fingered, cheeto faced, ferret wearing shitgibbon" tweet. :D

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

SO... shit going down in the tory party! its THE NIGHTMARE PARTY ELECTION NOBODY WANTED!

So far, excluding a couple of smaller names, we haaaave:

Jeremy "Complete and Total" Hunt - Health secretary. Fucked over the NHS, wrote books advocating privatising it. Universally loathed by pretty much every doctor, nurse and careworker in the UK. Was responsible for the biggest NHS strike since ever. Big fan of homeopathy.

Theresa May, home secretary, fucking mentalist. has suggested actually banning encryption as a way to beat the terrorists. was supposedly Remain, but wants to get the UK out of the European Commision on Human Rights.

Boris Johnson - he's Boris Johnson. you know who he is, and what he's done. Was the de-facto leader of the brexit camp, because he was the only one with a semi-functioning personality module. Is expected to throw his hat into the ring today, with Michael Gove as his supporter, one of the other big brexiteers.

and as of this morning:

Michael gove: former education secretary, til he fucked that up royally. one of the big people of the Brexit camp. Loyal supporter of Boris Johnson, up until he wasn't, and wanted to test out his best backstabbing skills.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

UPDATE:

oh god.

hunts pulled out, nicky morgans pulled out. BORIS has pulled out.

the next prime ministers going to be Theresa may D:

Dave

Dave

A person who believes in homeopathy in charge of your national health service? Huh. That would be as bad as having a young earth creationist in charge of science curriculum in our public schools. Like Texas.

Eriol

Eriol

A person who believes in homeopathy in charge of your national health service? Huh. That would be as bad as having a young earth creationist in charge of science curriculum in our public schools. Like Texas.
I believe the phrase you're looking for is "Having a Fox in charge of the Henhouse."

Calleja

Calleja

More like having Shredder in charge of the Ninja Turtles.

evilmike

evilmike

Dave

Dave

the next prime ministers going to be Theresa may D:
I'm out of the loop. Is that bad? Is she going to be worse than Boris would have been?

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

Theresa may is very bad. She's one of the big proponents of the Investigatory powers bill, which has the lovely nickname of the "Snoopers Charter", which along with a bunch of other either unworkable or insane policies, requires all web history and traffic to be accessible and stored for an entire year. Before it got removed/toned down for being batshit, there was also talk of banning end-to-end encyption, as it helped the terrorists. in her climbdown, she said she didn't want keys to encryption, she just wanted the readable data.
"“We’re not saying that we want keys to their encryption. The government doesn’t need to know what the encryption is, but if there’s a lawful warrant it’s about that information being readable.” said May."
and up until this morning, she was in favour of removing the UK from the European Commission on Human Rights.

She's a fucking mentalist.

GasBandit

GasBandit

She's a fucking mentalist.
Does mentalist mean something different in the UK than it does here (psychic/mind reader)?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Does mentalist mean something different in the UK than it does here (psychic/mind reader)?
Well.....She's mental. And she also believes in mentalism. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well.....She's mental. And she also believes in mentalism. :p
It just seemed like awkward phrasing.
"This person is bad! She wanted to violate commonly held rules of privacy! She's a goddamned magician!"

Bubble181

Bubble181

"This person is bad! She wanted to violate commonly held rules of privacy! She's a goddamned magician!"
I do agree; I'm not sure which meaning he intended. But she's definitely mental, and she also believes in a bunch of fake crap, so both apply :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

In either case, my DAOC mentalist definitely takes offense and will send all of you brain-damaging hallucinations as soon as you're within AE DoT range.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

"WE NEED TO STOP THESE WIZARDS FROM TAKING POWER!"

PatrThom

PatrThom

Only thing wrong with that is he didn't read the "tiny fingered, cheeto faced, ferret wearing shitgibbon" tweet. :D
I assume that's because of the weird restrictions on brand names in British media when it is not explicitly advertising.
From a piece on The Kinks' "Lola":
Kinks frontman Ray Davies sings that his champagne "tastes just like Coca-Cola," but mentioning a brand name is a no-no on the state-run BBC airwaves. So the singer had to go back into the studio and dub in the replacement phrase "cherry cola" before he was allowed on the British airwaves to tell his tale about his confusing date with an unusual woman.
--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Confusing date with an unusual woman."

There's that british tendency to understatement again.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I assume that's because of the weird restrictions on brand names in British media when it is not explicitly advertising.
From a piece on The Kinks' "Lola":

--Patrick
TBS is not British media.

PatrThom

PatrThom

TBS is not British media.
Huh, for some reason I was thinking it was an English show.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Theresa May watched V For Vendetta and based her vision of britain on that

Bubble181

Bubble181

Dave

Dave

That's based on a true story from Larry David. He quit SNL and just stormed out, then went back to work on Monday after he realized he'd screwed up. It worked like a charm.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

TODAYS UPDATE:

Nigel Farage has resigned as head of UKIP.

the partys sole MP, Douglas Carswell responded like this

">

So now the three main architects of this absolute shitshow have resigned or abdicated responsibility. Cameron, Johnson and Farage. well fucking done.

PatrThom

PatrThom

the three main architects of this absolute shitshow have resigned or abdicated responsibility. Cameron, Johnson and Farage. well fucking done.
If any of them asks you to carry them across a river on your back, you should probably turn them down.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Wow, he's allowed to go and insult every member of the EU before trade negotiations and then just quit?

Bubble181

Bubble181

"So we're all agreed; immigrants working in or for the UK government don't pay taxes anywhere, while Brits working abroad will pay both at home and abroad, yes? We are very happy with this arrangement."
- "British" negotiator, presumably.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm getting the impression that they're just going to not go through with it.

strawman

strawman

The people want to leave, but there's no political will. It's happened before, and it will be resolved slowly over time.

Bubble181

Bubble181

There's no politician with the guts to actually do it. There's no politician who can see a positive endgame. Even local Trumplikes are trying to get out from under it? Johnson, Farage - even they don't dare do it. Be in the history books, sure, but with this? No thanks.

Eriol

Eriol

Johnson, Farage - even they don't dare do it. Be in the history books, sure, but with this? No thanks.
This song:

blotsfan

blotsfan

The people want to leave, but there's no political will. It's happened before, and it will be resolved slowly over time.
Honestly, I kind of wonder what would happen if they did another referendum right now. I'm not saying they should (defeats the point if you keep having do-over votes until the "right" decision is made) but I feel like the negative backlash has been so sudden and powerful that it would change a lot of peoples' minds as well as get more people to actually go out and vote.

Dave

Dave

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky animals and you know it.

Eriol

Eriol

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky animals and you know it.
I'd say "A person can be smart." Or dumb. And in most cases for most people, they're actually both on different topics.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Yeah, but Dave's line is saying that our herd mentality makes us dumber. That a group of us is less than the sum of its parts.

Dei

Dei

Really, Dave is just quoting MiB and correcting it on principle it's just sad.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dave's so old, he still quotes 90s movies.

Dei

Dei

Then I'm old too. :(

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I am younger then Dave and I quote 80s movies. :okay:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Quoting '90s movies is young and happening and the cool thing to do and doesn't show age at ALL. :cry:

Bubble181

Bubble181

Also:
Buzzfeed!

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm coming in here late just to say this:

I was landing in London as the vote was being announced. The pilot very sadly told us the results as we were approaching the gate. What a time to be there! I really enjoyed listening to the people there talk about it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm coming in here late just to say this:

I was landing in London as the vote was being announced. The pilot very sadly told us the results as we were approaching the gate. What a time to be there! I really enjoyed listening to the people there talk about it.
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. The votes have just been tallied, and it turns out Britain has voted "leave". As a result, we'll be respecting their wishes by turning this plane right back around and going away immediately."

Bubble181

Bubble181

Leadsom has withdrawn from the race, leaving only Darth May. Oh boy.

Dave

Dave

PatrThom

PatrThom

--Patrick

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

And the Pig-Fucker has announced that his time is up, and he'll be replaced by Darth May by this thursday.

Which only goes to show how far you can succeed in life and politics if your only competition would lose an IQ competition with a brick wall.

Eriol

Eriol

And the Pig-Fucker has announced that his time is up, and he'll be replaced by Darth May by this thursday.

Which only goes to show how far you can succeed in life and politics if your only competition would lose an IQ competition with a brick wall.
Can I use "Darth May" for a politician in Canada? It's just so awesome.

Frank

Frank

Doesn't really fit. The UK Darth May will actually have power.

Eriol

Eriol

Doesn't really fit. The UK Darth May will actually have power.
I know, but it's amusing.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I know, but it's amusing.
Did you see her on Twitter claiming Columbus though the earth was flat? Was pretty good. A little back and forth with a journalist over it.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

Boris Johnson is Foreign Secretary.

BORIS. JOHNSON. I am not so much as annoyed as ABSOLUTELY FUCKING LIVID.

Won a referendum he had no plan on winning in a bid to win a political victory against an old schoolboy rival for a position he was in no fit to hold, and was absolutely clueless about how to proceed when he DID win, spent the weekend playing fucking cricket instead of figuring out a plan, got outmaneuvered by Michael fucking Gove, and now that smug cock-juggling thundercunt gets to be FOREIGN FUCKING SECRETARY?!

FUCKING CHRIST.

and now everytime something involving any other country comes up, I have to look at the smug face of a bag of human arse-fat shaped like a human potato.

fuck everything about this.

Dave

Dave

And then there's your new Environment Secretary.

Anti-global warming and selling off of government forested lands for development.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

And then there's your new Environment Secretary.

Anti-global warming and selling off of government forested lands for development.
It gets worse.

The government has axed the Department of Energy and Climate Change (Decc) in a major departmental shake-up.
The brief will be folded into an expanded Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy under Greg Clark.
Jeremy "rhymes with" Hunt is still Health secretary.

only bright spots are Michael gove, Nicky Morgan and John Whittingdale being sacked. Everything else is misery toast :(

Dave

Dave

Oh yeah. The new administration is also coal and fracking friendly. Because FUCK the Earth, yo!

strawman

strawman

Oh yeah. The new administration is also coal and fracking friendly. Because FUCK the Earth, yo!
They have control of less than 1/2,000 of the world's surface, so they could burn everything on and under it and still not affect the world very much. They are a mere blip compared to the US.

Frank

Frank

They have control of less than 1/2,000 of the world's surface, so they could burn everything on and under it and still not affect the world very much. They are a mere blip compared to the US.
You're just asking for England to go all colonial again with them words.

THE SUN WILL NEVER SET!

PatrThom

PatrThom

You're just asking for England to go all colonial again with them words.
THE SUN WILL NEVER SET!
They'll have to.
They'll need that much solar surface area to make up for what they lose once the resources run out.
(yes I know total area would actually be much smaller than that...but that's only assuming they have enough storage capacity)

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Denbrought

Denbrought

Scummy ellipses, in my opinion. Read the actual piece to get some context--he may be a reprehensible cunt, but there's some nuance to the stink.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, I have to admit, those are pretty scummy. Thank you.