Bottled water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake said:
Gared said:
Having worked in the water industry (but for industrial use high purity water), I can offer this one piece of extremely important advice. If anyone ever offers you High Purity, Reverse Osmosis, De-ionized water; run the fuck away. Seriously. Drinking that stuff for a long enough period of time can kill you, or at least make you severely ill.

RO/DI water that has been filtered by a good system can strip almost everything except two hydrogens and an oxygen from the water; leaving it with a conductivity of nearly zero. Theoretically (and this has been tested at some labs) if you're wearing a clean suit and standing in a pool of RO/DI water and someone drops a high voltage power line in; you'll be fine. There is nothing left in the water to conduct electricity. Companies like Intel and AMD use this stuff to wash circuit boards after the soldering process is completed.

Drinking it will strip the nutrients out of your body and leave you more dehydrated that you were before you drank it.

The company that I worked for actually use to service Boeing, and one day our techs walked in to one of the system locations on the Boeing campus in South Seattle to find that the system had disappeared (and we're talking several 4 foot tall resin tanks and a carbon tank plus all of the piping and tubing, not a small thing). They hunted around for it, called back to our service desk, got Boeing on the phone, and were finally told that it had been moved to a different office (which totally broke their contract, but that's neither here nor there). The techs got to the new location and the people in that location were using the system to run a drinking fountain and a coffee pot. The techs had to pull the system out and take everything back to the shop because it's not safe to drink. Idiot engineers.
DI water will also corrode stainless steel. You'd think people would be averse to drinking something like that.
This is true. But then, in the case of Boeing, we are talking about people who decided to build a jetliner out of composite materials and can't figure out how to keep the wings attached to the fuselage during flight...

I never understood the point of buying bottled water. You mean to tell me that we have to PAY ridiculous amounts of money for water that is put in a bottle over the sake of tap water? There are some countries out there that don't even have safe tap water to drink and some don't even have tap water at all. So you mean to tell me that our country's tap water is only good to clean our ass with? (along with the dishes and showering)

I got a fridge that makes it's own purified water and ice, so I'll just used the empty cokes bottles I've been using already. For those who don't have the means for such a fridge, a Brita jug and a faucet purifier is all that you need.

Reading all that stuff about the "enhanced water" is absolutely mind-blasting. I remember I bought one once (i was at the airport in punta-cana) and after finishing my bottle.... I was thirstier!

I had a sugar free flavored water one time, I think by Dasani. It tasted like powder and felt dry in my mouth. I prefer my water wet.

C

Chibibar

Gared said:
I had a sugar free flavored water one time, I think by Dasani. It tasted like powder and felt dry in my mouth. I prefer my water wet.
just add water!! ;)
:rimshot:

GasBandit

Staff member
In Manitou Springs, Colorado, there are numerous public water fountains and taps that dispense mineral water direct from the aquifer. If mineral water is your thing, feel free to schlep on up there with your gigantic jugs and bottles to fill, they don't mind.

As for what Shego was saying, yes, there are towns in the US where you don't particularly want to drink the water. Most of these towns seem to share a distinct trait - proximity to Mexico.

I buy filtered water at the grocery store for 80 cents a gallon. I like the taste, and around here Brita filters just don't cut it sometimes.

Q

quandofloo

I buy bottled water for one very specific reasons. My children and my wife will not drink water out of a pitcher or out of the tap but if it is in a bottle they drink it almost exclusively.

GasBandit

Staff member
quandofloo said:
I buy bottled water for one very specific reasons. My children and my wife will not drink water out of a pitcher or out of the tap but if it is in a bottle they drink it almost exclusively.
And when they're not looking, you refill the empty bottles from the tap, don't you?

I just fill a bottle with tap water. Cheaper and tastes better then any bottled kind I ever had. Just make sure you clean the bottle regularly and it's all good.

W

Wasabi Poptart

We were buying bottled water for a time, but I've gotten my husband and I both reusable quart-sized bottles that we can wash and refill with filtered water from our tap. Our water here is hard (a lot of mineral content) and it makes the water taste weird. Back in NJ I had well water. It was delicious and always cold.

I buy a few gallon jugs and a case of Kirkland/Costco bottled water and store them in my Earthquake kit (Action Packer crate in the garage). They get replaced every first week of January (old ones get used, obviously).

Q

quandofloo

GasBandit said:
quandofloo said:
And when they're not looking, you refill the empty bottles from the tap, don't you?
No, my wife does all the grocery shopping while I am at work so I don't have the opportunity to pull that off.

Status
Not open for further replies.