Bottled water

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis ... led-water/

Yeah, this falls under a big "no shit Sherlock".

You may actually be drinking tap water.
Case in point: Dasani, a Coca-Cola product. Despite its exotic-sounding name, Dasani is simply purified tap water that’s had minerals added back in. For example, if your Dasani water was bottled at the Coca-Cola Bottling Company in Philadelphia, you’re drinking Philly tap water. But it’s not the only brand of water that relies on city pipes to provide its product. About 25 percent of all bottled water is taken from municipal water sources, including Pepsi’s Aquafina.
I loved the Penn and Teller episode about bottled water.

C

Chibibar

Heh.. I knew that :) (at least the tap water thing)

I always figure it was filtered and stuff.

H

Heavan

Good thing I only drink bottled water for the convenient bottle, and not its smooooth taste.

Mmm... bottled water... :drool:

*shrug* I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as France has some bad places too, but it just seems odd to me, as Holland has no badwater-tap at all.

Then again, it's a tiny country.

Call me naive, but would a Brita filter or something help with said tap water?

Speaking for myself, this is like old news to the power of ancient. I've been using an aluminum bottle for quite awhile, now.

C

Chibibar

well.. some country (like Taiwan) you don't wanna drink the tap water.

I installed a filtered water tap on my sink and fill a big stainless bottle to take to work. It irks me to pay for bottled water at convenience stores when I'm out and about and thirsty, but it's better than buying soda and beats sucking on the bathroom faucet to save a buck. I don't get people that have tons of small water bottles around the house.

A Brita pitcher isn't the best way to go, but it's better than nothing, I guess.

Wahad said:
Chibibar said:
I know that, just didn't think the US of A would have such problems too.
By far most municipalities in the US have better water on tap than what you get in the convenience store. There are a few that will have odd taste or particulate matter in them. The water where I am is safe, it does not taste funny, but when you hold it up to the light there is a bunch of white stuff floating in it.

I still drink the tap at home. I drink bottle water at work because I like my drinks cold.

i actually had to search, i never heard of that water.
apparently it`s called Bonaqa here and so i understand .
Bonaqa is something we call "Tafelwasser" which is not a natural mineralized water.
companies has to label their water "Tafelwasser" or "Mineralwasser" and you know what you buy.

and the tabwater is one of the most observed food here, like holland

Wahad said:
Chibibar said:
There are running jokes about stuff like that in the Central Valley of California, at least. In my home town, "don't drink the water" is a common comment when someone is traveling to Bakersfield. Then again, people make fun of Bakersfield for a lot of things.

Cajungal

Staff member
The tap water in my college town tastes awful. It's a shame, because it's apparently some of the best in the state. The geologists in town have concluded that it's kept really pure because of some... rocks or something. Damned if I know, but it's common knowledge that it's good. It's a shame I haven't gotten used to it yet. I try to drink a little of it every day, but it's just ...bleh. I prefer the water in my hometown, which is probably more dirty. Go figure.

Wahad said:
Chibibar said:
The USA is a big place. Where I live, people don't even have access to city water. All of my running water comes from a well connected to the aquifer, and an electric water pump. While the water is clean and safe to drink, any time the local river runs, it contaminates the water, requiring that I switch to bottled for several months.

US tap water is "safe", it can just taste weird. Though drinking chlorinated sanitizing compounds and fluorine is iffy at best (they're strong oxidizers, and it's good to keep consumption of those to a minimum).

Also, I grew up drinking Kentucky well water that had so much calcium carbonate in it that it would precipitate when chilled. I've never broken a bone, though.

C

Chibibar

sixpackshaker said:
Shakey said:
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.
They are corrupting our precious bodily fluids.
and put rainbow in our water!

T

The Mike

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNGWn-aWn5g:y7pvzhud][/youtube:y7pvzhud]

Some water fun

last time i used bottled water to any serious extent was in Greece... apparently, in that region at least, tap water isn't drinkable... too much limestone in it or something.

Having worked in the water industry (but for industrial use high purity water), I can offer this one piece of extremely important advice. If anyone ever offers you High Purity, Reverse Osmosis, De-ionized water; run the fuck away. Seriously. Drinking that stuff for a long enough period of time can kill you, or at least make you severely ill.

RO/DI water that has been filtered by a good system can strip almost everything except two hydrogens and an oxygen from the water; leaving it with a conductivity of nearly zero. Theoretically (and this has been tested at some labs) if you're wearing a clean suit and standing in a pool of RO/DI water and someone drops a high voltage power line in; you'll be fine. There is nothing left in the water to conduct electricity. Companies like Intel and AMD use this stuff to wash circuit boards after the soldering process is completed.

Drinking it will strip the nutrients out of your body and leave you more dehydrated that you were before you drank it.

The company that I worked for actually use to service Boeing, and one day our techs walked in to one of the system locations on the Boeing campus in South Seattle to find that the system had disappeared (and we're talking several 4 foot tall resin tanks and a carbon tank plus all of the piping and tubing, not a small thing). They hunted around for it, called back to our service desk, got Boeing on the phone, and were finally told that it had been moved to a different office (which totally broke their contract, but that's neither here nor there). The techs got to the new location and the people in that location were using the system to run a drinking fountain and a coffee pot. The techs had to pull the system out and take everything back to the shop because it's not safe to drink. Idiot engineers.

M

Mr_Chaz

Dasani got withdrawn in the UK once people found out it was just mains Thames water. Millions of people who get that out of their taps suddenly stopped buying it. I wonder why?

I will drink bottled water if I am on the go. I never really believed I was drinking anything special I just prefer sugar free drinks and usually water is the ne most gas stations and the like carry.

Cajungal

Staff member
I drink Kentwood water out of the jug now, but I'll get bottles if I'm gonna be out all day. If I'm going to work, I just bring the jug and a mug with me. There are no recycling bins at my complex, but there are big recycling receptacles on campus and at my grocery store just down the road, so that's convenient.

Gared said:
Having worked in the water industry (but for industrial use high purity water), I can offer this one piece of extremely important advice. If anyone ever offers you High Purity, Reverse Osmosis, De-ionized water; run the fuck away. Seriously. Drinking that stuff for a long enough period of time can kill you, or at least make you severely ill.

RO/DI water that has been filtered by a good system can strip almost everything except two hydrogens and an oxygen from the water; leaving it with a conductivity of nearly zero. Theoretically (and this has been tested at some labs) if you're wearing a clean suit and standing in a pool of RO/DI water and someone drops a high voltage power line in; you'll be fine. There is nothing left in the water to conduct electricity. Companies like Intel and AMD use this stuff to wash circuit boards after the soldering process is completed.

Drinking it will strip the nutrients out of your body and leave you more dehydrated that you were before you drank it.

The company that I worked for actually use to service Boeing, and one day our techs walked in to one of the system locations on the Boeing campus in South Seattle to find that the system had disappeared (and we're talking several 4 foot tall resin tanks and a carbon tank plus all of the piping and tubing, not a small thing). They hunted around for it, called back to our service desk, got Boeing on the phone, and were finally told that it had been moved to a different office (which totally broke their contract, but that's neither here nor there). The techs got to the new location and the people in that location were using the system to run a drinking fountain and a coffee pot. The techs had to pull the system out and take everything back to the shop because it's not safe to drink. Idiot engineers.
DI water will also corrode stainless steel. You'd think people would be averse to drinking something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.