Bootlegged Amazing Spider-Man Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Spidey:

the ears are too big and the hoodie too small, but otherwise that's a perfect goblin face right there...

Instead they went with the helmet with the mouth always openned... the mouth always being opened annoys me so for some reason...
man, how much more awesome would the first movie have been with that for the goblin.

K

kaykordeath

Anyway, here's some recommended material:
Maybe it's only because I just got around to reading it this month, but I'd throw Birthright in there as well. It did, what I thought, was a nice job of showing how Superman comes to terms with being not just the Last son of the El family, but of the planet Krypton, and how he honors the planet as a whole. The collection also has a nice afterword explaining how Waid tackles the issue of the bright colors and lack of mask being Superman's offer to the world to accept him, that he has nothing to hide...as opposed to, early on, if Clark Kent was seen using powers, he WAS accused to "hiding out" among the humans and freaking people out.

Man, pre-crisis Supes got his ass kicked more then i tohught: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faora

And Supes not being actually that good at fighting is a great idea... i'd like to see that explorer more, with stuff like a red sun room on the JLI tower where he and Batman would spar to train him and WW teaching him pankration or something...

ElJuski

Staff member
ugh, maybe I just flat out don't like classic comic books.
That's my problem. I like the idea of superheroes, and I like certain well-made, critically acclaimed comics, but much like the sci-fi / fantasy genre in general, the bar seems to be pretty fucking low for the writing and production.

ugh, maybe I just flat out don't like classic comic books.
Or maybe you just lack the ability to mentally separate good ideas (martial artist kryptonian and a woman kicking Supes ass) from crappy silver age dialogue and sub-par execution...

No bad stories, only bad writters and all that.

And on a side note, i actualyl found Bendis to be the opposite of that... good dialogue (well, as long as he doesn't go the full-bendis-speak) and execution, terrible ideas (Ult Green Goblin)...

Or maybe you just lack the ability to mentally separate good ideas (martial artist kryptonian and a woman kicking Supes ass) from crappy silver age dialogue and sub-par execution...

No bad stories, only bad writters and all that.

And on a side note, i actualyl found Bendis to be the opposite of that... good dialogue (well, as long as he doesn't go the full-bendis-speak) and execution, terrible ideas (Ult Green Goblin)...

Or maybe I lack the ability to enjoy garbage...

essentially what you're saying is that I should enjoy the art and not the story, or enjoy the idea behind the story instead of the story?

So, by your definition Twilight is a good book.

Sorry, I find that good writing is the crux and primary focus of any sort of story telling; everything else comes second.

So, by your definition Twilight is a good book.
What exactly about the idea of sparkling stalkers and co-dependant "i'm totally plain but everyone is fawning over me" high-school girls is in any way shape or form good?

Hmmm... i guess i don't agree with the "No bad stories, only bad writers" thing after all... because i don't see how you can make a good story out of that without sarcasm, which kinda changes the whole idea behind the story...

essentially what you're saying is that I should enjoy the art and not the story, or enjoy the idea behind the story instead of the story?
Well i don't see how you can say that the idea behind the story isn't part of the story...

As for art... well that can always be enjoyed on it's own, doesn't it?

Sorry, I find that good writing is the crux and primary focus of any sort of story telling; everything else comes second.
So as long as you enjoy the prose you would not be bored reading about paint drying for 400 pages? Hell, i once couldn't get past 2 pages of a book i had to read for school that actually started interestingly because they where simply about one guy walking on a town street and looking at the pavement.

Of course one could argue that the idea is also part of writing, as opposed to just the dialogue, and in order for something to be good writing you need all of the parts to be good. And by your earlier comments on Superman's character/personality/persona ruining any good story potential i'd say that was you arguing that too.

Don't get me wrong, i don't think anyone has the right to call that comic i posted "good", i mean it's obviously written for kids under the assumption that is should be as simplistic as possible... but it does have potential... which makes it enjoyable to me without actually having to see it as good.

But i wonder, no guilty pleasures for you at all?

Kind of off-topic from the above discussion, but...

I'm in the minority that loved Superman Returns. Of course, I'm bias. Then again, apparently Quintin Tarrantino considered it the best movie of that year and has (or maybe had) plans to write a long essay defending it. It's sadly yet to see light.

That said, after seeing some of the disastrous things that the Superman movie could have been, I'm more than happy with what we got. First, there's Nicholas Cage, with Tim Burton at the helm. Apparently, the plan was for Superman's powers to not come from the sun, but from his suit. He would have a giant metal "S" as part of the costume, which he could remove, allowing it to morph into various gadgets and weapons...that he would kill with. Yeah.

And then there was this...

So after all that, we finally got Superman Returns. As I said, I'm more than happy with what we got.

But i wonder, no guilty pleasures for you at all?
I have musical guilty pleasures, but I generally don't like to read crap.
Added at: 17:56
Kind of off-topic from the above discussion, but...

I'm in the minority that loved Superman Returns. Of course, I'm bias. Then again, apparently Quintin Tarrantino considered it the best movie of that year and has (or maybe had) plans to write a long essay defending it. It's sadly yet to see light.

That said, after seeing some of the disastrous things that the Superman movie could have been, I'm more than happy with what we got. First, there's Nicholas Cage, with Tim Burton at the helm. Apparently, the plan was for Superman's powers to not come from the sun, but from his suit. He would have a giant metal "S" as part of the costume, which he could remove, allowing it to morph into various gadgets and weapons...that he would kill with. Yeah.

And then there was this...

So after all that, we finally got Superman Returns. As I said, I'm more than happy with what we got.

To be honest, I didn't find Superman Returns to be horrible. I just wish the producers did more homework on the physics involved. I mean I realize the concept of Superman is fiction, but things he does to stuff on Earth could still be grounded in reality. I'm referring specifically to the plane scene.

ElJuski

Staff member
Ugh, the "no bad stories" nonsense. Honestly, I just think that comics fans get really thin-skinned about comics, but for the most part, aren't really well-versed in any sort of pop-cultural criticism.

Speaking of Spidey:

the ears are too big and the hoodie too small, but otherwise that's a perfect goblin face right there...

Instead they went with the helmet with the mouth always openned... the mouth always being opened annoys me so for some reason...
This is the Goblin I would have loved to see. Minus the ears and with a hood. Face is perfect.

I don't know why people are saying the ears are too big on that Goblin. It looks perfect to me, and as for the hood, this was obviously only to test the mask and not the final costumed version (which apparently we'll never see :( )

I don't know why people are saying the ears are too big on that Goblin. It looks perfect to me, and as for the hood, this was obviously only to test the mask and not the final costumed version (which apparently we'll never see :( )
I think it's dead on with the old version of Goblin in the comics but it just looks a little too cartoony for my taste. I don't think the mask would lose anything by removing the ears or scaling them down a bit. Even with the ears I'd prefer this version to the Raimi verson.

I have musical guilty pleasures, but I generally don't like to read crap.
Now sir, that's just discrimination...

To be honest, I didn't find Superman Returns to be horrible.
Oh, now you're just screwing with me...

Of course i wouldn't call it horrible, coz that's something reserved for special ocassions, but damn if it wasn't pretty boring... and Lex again as the villain, give it a rest already, not even Spacey could make it interesting... and then at the end he exibits the classic Superman sueness with the giant kryptonite island...

And Lois hooking up with some guy just to not be a single mother did a disfavour to the character...

Also, they cut this from teh final release, what the hell is wrong with these people:

Ugh, the "no bad stories" nonsense. Honestly, I just think that comics fans get really thin-skinned about comics, but for the most part, aren't really well-versed in any sort of pop-cultural criticism.
You do realise that the "no bad stories" thing doesn't actually imply the work itself is good, actually the opposite, that it's pretty bad, but someone with actual talent could make it good...

I don't know why people are saying the ears are too big on that Goblin.
They look too floppy and fake... not that they sometimes don't in the comics, but that's not a god reason not to fix them...

Plus, in the comics the hat is bigger and fits in better with the big ears...

Look how well the smaler ears work:

I'm pretty sure that hood in the video is just to cover up the animatronics, not what the end character would be wearing.

I'm pretty sure that hood in the video is just to cover up the animatronics, not what the end character would be wearing.
Maybe, but real world physics dictate that any real hats or hoodie would not stay as fluffed up as the comic version... unless they stuff it with something etc, and then making the ears more like in those pics i posted is just as easy...

Superman Returns was pretty horrible. It made Clark a terrible person and deadbeat dad, Lois an absolute moron, and was all a round a much better movie when it was originally made in 1978.

Status
Not open for further replies.