[Question] Books for young (6-ish) kids to read and adults to tolerate

Tacky the Penguin: Cute little tale about being different from everyone else. It's pretty silly. Easy read though.
My son's teacher read Tacky to his class when they were in first grade. He still yells "WHAAAAAT'S HAAAPPENING!" once in a while like Tacky.

Let's see. When he was six, he really got into the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne. They are kind of neat because they are a kid's version of historical fiction mixed with science and a bit of investigation. We have about twenty of them sitting on his book shelf and borrowed others from the library.

The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary was on his summer reading list. He didn't think he would enjoy it, but ended up liking it a lot. The same thing happened with Hamster Magic by Lynne Jonell. He also really dug Mr. Popper's Penguins (do you see the theme of animal books here?) as a book.

SkippyJon Jones books, by Judith Schachner, are a lot of fun to read out loud. We do voices for the characters.

Madeline was always one of my favorites, but I think that might be too baby-ish for a six year old.

Also, Kevin O'Malley has some great books. One is Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude in which a boy and a girl are telling a story to their class together.

HP, Wizard of Oz, Charlotte's Webb, James and the Giant Peach... Those are all novels I want to share with her eventually, in fact, maybe I'll buy a few and give it a shot, but for now, definitely shorter things. She has some Winnie the Pooh, and lots of Seuss (which I love!); Velveteen Rabbit might be something to try, and I can't believe I didn't think of Shel Silverstein! That's a great idea.

I don't know Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Where the Wild Things Are (I've heard of the latter, which apparently a classic) so I'll investigate those.[DOUBLEPOST=1383769753,1383769716][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh damn, hell yes. I'm definitely getting that. I remember Eloise!
My youngest daughter is 6 and these are good level books for a six year old who's starting out.

You need to be patient too. Let them sound out the words and figure them out themselves. Don't blurt it out the second she can't get it. Siblings help too!

Cajungal

Staff member
Teachers are taught to wait about 15 seconds to let a child give a word a try before any prompting. And that's just if they don't have any language-related LD issues.

When I was a kid, I was into Encyclopedia Brown by Donald Sobol, which are a series of short mystery stories that kids can try to solve (answers are in the back). Each mystery is a total of about 8 pages.

There's a sample of one of the books here.