Blue Screen Of Death Now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll one day get compatibility and run game fine... but don't expect performance. That's all I can say about that.
I guess nearly everyone that has actually used Win 7 is wrong then. Shego is the first person I have seen that has actually had an issue with Win 7. I run a 3 year old computer and have had zero performance loses in switching from XP to 7.

Dude, that was always true of Windows... i only switched from '98 to XP whe i literally couldn't play new games on it...

Go ahead and don’t believe me and continue to ride the tricycle. Whatever makes ordinary bobs and marys happy. I don’t care but I’ll say my bit and be gone.

Win7 as an OS is better than Vista in terms of disk management, startup/shutdown and memory performance. Not that it had a whole lot of competition coming from Vista though. What you'll get are the mother of all problems coming from hardware drivers coming from non-Vista compatible drivers from mostly non-on board video cards and sound cards. They’ll be functional… if you’re lucky but performance is going to suck a dick.

I’ve run extensive tests and the performance was almost laughable. There’s a whole lot of hoopla going on for a promising direction but it’ll take some time till the hardware and “software developers provide DirectX 11 the attention they need to kick up performance and companies go beyond providing “compatible” drivers to make their hardware work.

They won’t put the effort in for the old stuff; they’ll do it with the new stuff. Upgrading now is pretty useless.

C

Chazwozel

That completely depends on the bus speed Shego.

Nonetheless, you should have waited till SP1. It's a guarantee that your computer's hardware doesn't have 100% compatibility with the new OS from Microsoft and may be some time before it will. 4GB with a 32 bit system = good for now

You'd think that a new OS, updated DirectX and all the hoopla coming from Win7 would be better for you or your gaming experience, but you are severely mistakened. It'll be a solid year before it'll work as good as or better than XP. When Nvidia will come out with their drivers to make your card work correctly, it'll be simply functional and won't be the innovation that you'd be hoping for. In fact, most cards that have been released before DirectX 11 and Win 7 will NEVER be as good as they could run in an XP environment as their intent wasn't for that Win7 environment. That and the fact that companies who make hardware will do exactly what they did with Vista... do their work half-assed and with sloppy driver code.

You'll one day get compatibility and run game fine... but don't expect performance. That's all I can say about that.

I'll personally upgrade to Win7, when they got a SP2 out and my PC needs upgrading in 2012. At least then my hardware will be fit to be used for that OS.
I upgraded my laptop to Win7, but it's not for gaming it's for work. No issues thus far.

http://www.driverheaven.net/articles.php?articleid=137&pageid=3

Win 7 beats XP in every benchmark and either ties or wins from Vista. Performance is fine, stability is fine. Windows 7 is simply Vista SP3.

Drivers aren't really an issue, since the decent hardware manufacturers have had W7 drivers out for months already, for the sucky manufacturers that don't, using the Vista driver usually works just as fine.

I also have had no problems with Win 7. My gaming has improved mainly due to the fact that I'm now on a 64 bit OS, compared to a 32 bit, but I fully realize that's not exclusive to this generation.

I've looked around, but haven't found anything on an issue with DX11 and Nvidia drivers. If doing a new install of the games doesn't work, I'd say try going back to the older bios version. If that doesn't fix it, I'm out of ideas. I wouldn't think it would be a hardware issue since it was working fine before, but :noidea:.

C

Cuyval Dar

I have not had a single issue with gaming or anything else on 64-bit Win7, and I have been running everything from the earliest 68** leaked builds all the way up to the RTM.

Anyone who suggests that it has problems and downgrading to XP is sowing FUD.

It seems odd that it's an Nvidia conflict, if it gave a BSOD after a format, unless you installed Nvidia drivers before trying the game. In any case, 195.55 was out since Tuesday, have you tried installing that one?

C

Cuyval Dar

Also, the latest NV drivers have been shit. I also suspect shitty Creative X-Fi drivers.

figmentPez

Staff member
As i recall a 32bit OS won't be using any more RAM anyway, aka 1st one gets the OS and see if it works then buy more RAM.
You recall wrong. A 32-bit OS can see 4GB of memory, including video card, hard drive cache, etc. which usually results in about 3 - 3.5GB of RAM being usable by the OS (though it can be 2GB or less depending on the hardware).

On another note, I agree that anti-Win7 sentiments are FUD. Especially claims that current hardware will always run better on XP than on 7, which is absurd. Most game developers, and I'd guess most hardware/software devlopers in general, are currently running Windows Vista on their machines, and Vista has far more in common with 7 than it does with XP. It's already true that Windows 7 can match or beat XP in most benchmarks, and that will likely improve in time.

Just want to give a heads-up to this argument.

It has NOTHING to do with my Win7 or my drivers. Something has obviously happened with the BIOS update and we can't fix the issue or get it rolled back at this time.

Currently we're uninstalling Win7 and putting back WinXP (because the MSI BIOS site will only allow BIOS rollbacks on Xp/Vista) we're going to roll back the BIOS to each previously available (trying not to fry the MB in the process) and try and run the games in each setting.

If this still does not fix the issue, we're going to be swapping out the video card for an ATI card and swapping out the RAM sticks.

Good luck with that. I'm lucky I know enough about my computer to occasionally put in a new drive here or there.

figmentPez

Staff member
If this still does not fix the issue, we're going to be swapping out the video card for an ATI card and swapping out the RAM sticks.
Before you start swapping out hardware, you might want to actually run some diagnostics to see if you can narrow down the problem area. Check your hard drive for errors, run memory testing (the Windows boot loader has an option to do this, I assume you've seen it when rebooting from a blue screen), run some stress testing of the processor, etc.

As i recall a 32bit OS won't be using any more RAM anyway, aka 1st one gets the OS and see if it works then buy more RAM.
You recall wrong. A 32-bit OS can see 4GB of memory, including video card, hard drive cache, etc. which usually results in about 3 - 3.5GB of RAM being usable by the OS (though it can be 2GB or less depending on the hardware).
[/QUOTE]

Not that wrong it seems...

figmentPez

Staff member
Not that wrong it seems...[/QUOTE]

Yes, for the relatively few systems that have 2GB+ of memory in graphics cards, hard drives, optical drives, etc. you were technically correct. However, for the majority of computers that have significantly less than 1GB of memory besides main system RAM (512MB or less graphics, 32MB or less HDD, 2MB or less optical, assorted KB in caches elsewhere), a 32-bit OS will use considerably more than 2GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.