Export thread

Blue Screen Of Death Now.....

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yep, after all that work I put into installing Win7 and updating my MSI Drivers in the previous thread, I can't play anything.

At first I thought it was only TF2 crashing to desktop, so after trying to fix that problem for a while, I gave up and loaded WoW..... nope, that's freezing up and crashing now too. *sigh*

Pat? Cuy? Anyone?

figmentPez

figmentPez

After you flashed your BIOS, did you reset to default values, and then go through to make sure everything was set correctly?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Pat and I went through a few of the settings, any in particular that would be causing this?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Pat and I went through a few of the settings, any in particular that would be causing this?
If a RAM timing got set too tight, or some other setting was wrong it could cause system instability.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Try running something like Prime95 to see if you've got overall system problems, or if it's just specific to 3D graphics or sound.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Ah, good ol' reliable Windows...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Ah, good ol' reliable Windows...
And such is the price for backwards-compatability, gaming performance, hardware compatability and a dozen other requirements when combined with poor business practices from Microsoft and hardware makers.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Um.....

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Yeah I'm at a total loss here, I reinstalled my video card completely and still instant crashes in WoW and TF2.

Shakey

Shakey

Is it an actual blue screen or does it just freeze up?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Freezes up most of the time, only got one BSOD, but I have to manually power off my system.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

What did you update the BIOS for anyway? Most BIOS updates only add newer CPU support and are totally unnecessary to ever install.

In any case, crash to desktop can be because of faulty settings, or maybe a driver issue. Set BIOS to factory defaults, reinstall drivers, maybe use older, more stable ones.

Shakey

Shakey

Try right clicking on the icon you use to start the game and choose "Run as Administrator". I don't think that's what would cause this, but it's something.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

What BIOS settings should I change? RAM change to what?

I'm a bit "out of it" right now after all the work I put into it last night.

Ok tried WoW again, didn't manually shut off, and it went to BSOD. Something about display drivers.

figmentPez

figmentPez

What BIOS settings should I change? RAM change to what?
There should be an option in your BIOS to load defaults, or load safe settings or something. Start there, that should set everything to auto, and let the hardware decide what everything should run at.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

You might need to clean out your display drivers, and not just uninstall. I was getting BSODs last year, even after swapping out my video card for a newer model. Eventually I went through and deleted everything related to ATI I could find on my computer, and then reinstalled drivers, and I haven't had a problem since.

EDIT: This is one of the problems of changing everything at once. It's hard to narrow down what change screwed things up. Sound drivers can cause video card crashes, BIOS settings can make everything unstable, etc.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Should be a simple "reset to factory defaults" "load fail-safe settings" thing when you're in the BIOS. Doing that would eliminate any RAM, CPU setting faults. After that it's driver issues hunting.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Loading Fail Safe settings.

Here we go.

Update: BSOD - Attempt to reset the display driver and recover something something.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm agreeing with Pez, if you go to default, that should resolve the problem. When you flash your bios, some of those settings can get borked. Also, Check the CPU temp right after the crash when you go into bios, if it's running hot, that can also cause problems. I know that was a problem I had with one of my computers that I was servicing after trying everything else, I never noticed that there was a layer of dust and dog hair blocking the fan intake.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8007770010
BCP2: FFFFF88004919220
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\111709-16629-01.dmp
C:\Users\Shegokigo\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-30310-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Bowielee

Bowielee

Do you have the most recent drivers for your video card? Also, make sure that if you're running 64 bit windows that you are running the 64 bit drivers, not the 32.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Just finished uninstalling and installing them.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm agreeing with Pez, if you go to default, that should resolve the problem.
Actually, I'm not at all sure it will fix the problem. I'm just trying to narrow things down. BIOS updates are a major change and, despite the claims in the other thread, are a dangerous proposition for a computer. (Actually, a lot of updates can turn bad real quick. I've had a video card driver update render my computer unbootable by borking the master partition table.)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Still nothing.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm agreeing with Pez, if you go to default, that should resolve the problem.
Actually, I'm not at all sure it will fix the problem. I'm just trying to narrow things down. BIOS updates are a major change and, despite the claims in the other thread, are a dangerous proposition for a computer. (Actually, a lot of updates can turn bad real quick. I've had a video card driver update render my computer unbootable by borking the master partition table.)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know, I've borked my bios back when you had to do it with a floppy and all that. If all else fails Shego, there is a way to restore the bios to factory defaults. It involves crossing two jumpers, I'd have to see the manual for your exact motherboard to know for sure how to do it. It's very easy, all you need is one of those little bridge connectors that are all over your motherboard and back of your hard drive.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

incidentally, what model is your motherboard, Shego? I know you had it in the other thread.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh, I know, I've borked my bios back when you had to do it with a floppy and all that. If all else fails Shego, there is a way to restore the bios to factory defaults. It involves crossing two jumpers, I'd have to see the manual for your exact motherboard to know for sure how to do it. It's very easy, all you need is one of those little bridge connectors that are all over your motherboard and back of your hard drive.
Before resorting to this, I'd check some other stuff. Like running Prime95, as I suggested and linked to earlier, to see if there is an overall system instability problem, or if it's just 3D graphics.

If it's not a processor/memory problem, then try reinstalling the motherboard drivers. Then try cleaning out old video drivers. (Someone else might have a recommendation for a program to do that.)

Shakey

Shakey

Try uninstalling the video drivers, then rebooting. Don't reinstall your driver, just use the one windows picks for it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Before resorting to this, I'd check some other stuff. Like running Prime95, as I suggested and linked to earlier, to see if there is an overall system instability problem, or if it's just 3D graphics.

If it's not a processor/memory problem, then try reinstalling the motherboard drivers. Then try cleaning out old video drivers. (Someone else might have a recommendation for a program to do that.)[/QUOTE]

That's why I said "if all else fails" ;)

Logic dictates that if it was working with the old bios defaults, undoing the flash update should fix everything. I think someone said in the previous thread that it's better not to flash the bios if everything is working correctly. Many times the most up to date is not the best.

This should probably be the last course of action, though.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Logic dictates that if it was working with the old bios defaults, undoing the flash update should fix everything.
Yeah, but Shego did more than just flash the BIOS. She updated a whole bunch of drivers, and fairly recently installed Windows 7, so I'm not sure how long she had it running stable before that. It could be one thing, or a combination of things that led to the trouble.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Oh, almost forgot to ask. Is this system overclocked, or has it ever been overclocked in the past?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Ok sorry I was unfortunately out of the house for a bit. Gonna re-read the thread and update.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

incidentally, what model is your motherboard, Shego? I know you had it in the other thread.
MSI X-58 SLI Eclipse

Figment I got the Prime95 64bit, ran it, and have no idea what I'm suposed to be looking at.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

System wasn't and isn't overclocked. I've also tried reinstalling all the Motherboard Drivers from MSI again, still nothing.

Video Card is GTX295. I'm going to uninstall them. Run in safemode, then use a driver sweeper, then try the basic windows video card drivers and see what happens.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Update:

Uninstalled Nvidia drivers, ran in safe mode, used Driver Sweeper to clean them out, restarted computer, let the Windows drivers install and ran WoW.

BSOD.

Updated the Windows Drivers to the newest Nvidia drivers, ran WoW.

BSOD.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I think I'm SoL.

If I reformat my entire system and all I have is Win7 Upgrade disk, do I have to install anything first or just use the Win7 Disk?

Also, will the BIOS updated/flash still stay? I know the motherboard drivers will be deleted, but should I try anythingelse before this final step?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think I'm SoL.

If I reformat my entire system and all I have is Win7 Upgrade disk, do I have to install anything first or just use the Win7 Disk?

Also, will the BIOS updated/flash still stay? I know the motherboard drivers will be deleted, but should I try anythingelse before this final step?
Whoa now, no need to reinstall everything. Just rollback your motherboard drivers first and see if that works. A clean reinstall of windows will not undo the BIOS flash. That will need to be done via the breaker I mentioned earlier. But try rolling back the MB drivers first.

Shakey

Shakey

I would wait and see if anyone else has any ideas. I'm guessing it's either the MB drivers or the BIOS update at this point. You could try uninstalling the MB drivers, but I'm not sure if that would cause more problems or not.

You should be able to start the new install of win7 inside the win7 you have right now. It'll verify you have an activated version of windows and you can then choose to format your current drive. That should be a last solution though.

The BIOS update you did will stay after a format/install.

Bowielee

Bowielee

She shouldn't have to reinstall at all if she wasn't having this problem prior to doing the updates. I STRONGLY recommend that you don't reinstall Windows.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Ok, so roll back the MB drivers? Problem is, there was about 6 in total.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1695

Downloaded an installed the ones that were 2009.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ok, so roll back the MB drivers? Problem is, there was about 6 in total.
Do you know which ones they were? If they were, say onbord sound or network drivers, I'd leave them as is.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I'd suggest rolling back:

Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers

Intel 3/4/5 Chipset Drivers

JMicron JMB36x IDE Drivers (including floppy driver

Intel IAA RAID for ICH10R

Intel ICH10R SATA RAID Driver (For floppy driver)

JMicron IDE/SATA RAID Drivers (with AP)

I also noticed a few of them didn't have Win 7 drivers, so they definitely should be rolled back.

Shakey

Shakey

She shouldn't have to reinstall at all if she wasn't having this problem prior to doing the updates. I STRONGLY recommend that you don't reinstall Windows.

Yeah, that's why I said it should be a last solution.

A system restore should roll back drivers too. You could check to see if you have a restore point before you started installing drivers. I haven't used it before though, so I'm not sure how good it is.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I can't seem to find the "exact" drivers that need rolling back.

I'm about at my wits end here....

Bowielee

Bowielee

I can't seem to find the "exact" drivers that need rolling back.

I'm about at my wits end here....
See if you can do a system restore to prior to when you did the update, like say yesterday.

If not, start with these drivers and see where that gets you. Yours may be different depending on your CPU configuration:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Figment I got the Prime95 64bit, ran it, and have no idea what I'm suposed to be looking at.
Prime95 is a program that was originally meant to search for prime numbers. It's very very CPU and RAM intensive, and so the stress test became a good way to find out if a system is stable. It will peg your CPU at 100% usage and use lots of RAM while doing that. If something is wrong with your motherboard, cpu or RAM, errors will show up in the stress testing (which calculates known primes). Let it run the torture test overnight (8 threads, probably, to max out your quad-core chip with hyperthreading) and if doesn't return any errors you'll know the problem is with video or sound, and not with your processor or RAM.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

So get this:

I reformat the HD, I install windows7 fresh, grab WoW out of my windows.old folder, run WoW......

BSOD

Shakey

Shakey

Did you run WoW as an administrator? I had some problems doing what you did because it needs to make registry entries to work properly, and it can't without doing that.

Aside from that, it's probably the BIOS. I suppose it could be hardware related, but it seems unlikely if it just started happening. I've never went backwards with a BIOS upgrade, so I'm not gonna touch that.

Cuyval Dar

Get the exact specs for RAM timings and voltages from the manufacturer, and the same for the CPU, and manually set them in the BIOS. Also, disable Turbo Mode.

Bowielee

Bowielee

According to what I'm finding on your MoBo, there should be a CMOS reset button on the back of it somewhere. It also says that there is an actual dial that sets overclocking, I would check that. I'm completely unfamiliar with that make and model of MoBo, but if what I'm understanding correctly, you may be overclocking it without even knowing it.

BTW, from what I can find about that motherboard, it is a MONSTER overclock/geared motherboard.

The reset button would be here, if this is your motherboard. This is also where the dial that controls the OC would be.

Math242

Math242

uninstall W7, install XP, problem solved :)

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'd bet you any money that wouldn't solve her problem.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

If a fresh install of Win7 gives BSOD's then indeed, rolling back to XP would amount to nothing. If resetting your BIOS, drivers, formatting and checking your disk for errors (did you try this yet?) didn't solve anything, it's probably a faulty RAM module.

Shannow

Shannow

:pud:

TotalFusionOne

Hi, sorry I'm late. I just had a cam masturbating session.

So, your WoW is borked? That's sad. You said TF2 as well, right? Do you happen to be running both in Window mode? I don't know why you would, but both TF2 and WoW are having issues in a 64bit os working in windowed mode. No idea why.

Some other things to try (Most have been said already, but just my list):

Roll back your bios to an earlier version if at all possible.
Run a MEMTest to make sure you don't have borked RAM (That would be random that it happened at the same time).
Do a FRESH INSTALL of WoW instead of running it out of the Windows.old folder

Actually, I like that last one the best. Yes, it's a pain in the ass. But you really shouldn't be running programs out of the Windows.old folder as the registry settings are going to be COMPLETELY different now.

Chazwozel

So get this:

I reformat the HD, I install windows7 fresh, grab WoW out of my windows.old folder, run WoW......

BSOD

Just reinstall every game fresh instead of using the Windows.old folder. That's mainly for files, pictures, etc.

When I did a clean Win 7 install, I reloaded everything fresh.

If you can't find drivers for hardware, google it and it should get you to the right place. If anything use Vista drivers. I'm using the Vista chipsets on my laptop and they're working just fine.

Math242

Math242

it's a sign you should stop playing, leave your earthly possessions behind and do that thing Shannow always talks about.

TotalFusionOne

Which was is Shannow? The one who likes little girls or the one who wants to commit suicide? This board is hard to follow :\

Math242

Math242

then you should leave the boards to wander the earth and have adventures... like Caine from Kung fu.

Shannow

Shannow

:facepalm:

Math242

Math242

yeah, i know, i'm new at this shit

Chazwozel

Shannow

Shannow

And failing. You really should try to develop your own thing. Being a simple ass, while it is clearly a trait you are born with and cursed to have for the rest of your existance, is not enough. Try to broaden your horizons, and develop something of your own. Though that may be impossible (A hanging suicide in a closet while naked would be the best suggestion), you should still try.

To do that, I would suggest that you back away from the pc, Math, and go outside. It is time to see new things, and learn. Basically, you should wander the earth, have adventures, and meet people and shit. You know, like Kane from Kung Fu.

Math242

Math242

i love you

Shannow

Shannow

Thought I could help.

Jay

Jay

Shego, your avatar is so damn hot. :heart:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Second vote for reinstallation of WoW (or any other program, for that matter). The windows.old folder is there so that you can pull out your old data (pictures, saved games, addresses, etc). Trying to restore applications/utilities from within it (especially such complex ones as WoW) is usually doomed to failure due to having to also find all the .dll and other dependent files and restore them to their proper locations, too.

This is the main reason why most people don't attempt to repair/upgrade a Windows installation, they just back up the important files and reformat, then reinstall everything from original discs/downloads. Usually, it's less of a hassle, even if it does take an entire weekend.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

Second vote for reinstallation of WoW (or any other program, for that matter). The windows.old folder is there so that you can pull out your old data (pictures, saved games, addresses, etc). Trying to restore applications/utilities from within it (especially such complex ones as WoW) is usually doomed to failure due to having to also find all the .dll and other dependent files and restore them to their proper locations, too.

This is the main reason why most people don't attempt to repair/upgrade a Windows installation, they just back up the important files and reformat, then reinstall everything from original discs/downloads. Usually, it's less of a hassle, even if it does take an entire weekend.

--Patrick
That is not true of WoW. You can copy WoW over to any folder, or external drive and it will run perfectly fine. I've always just moved over my WoW folder any time I've done an OS upgrade (I do clean installs). BTW, she has already done the steps listed above and it didn't do anything, she is still getting the BSOD.

The trouble didn't start until she flashed her bios, I'm still thinking that's the problem.

PatrThom

PatrThom

(You can tell I don't play WoW, right?)
Some programs are well-designed and keep all their configuration data and dependencies in the same folder. I'm actually glad to see that Blizzard does this.

OK, I'm at a loss. In my gut, I feel that there have to be 'good' settings for the BIOS, but I'll admit that my usual solution to computer problems like this is, "Give me your computer for a couple days," which I don't think will work in this situation. Assuming that backup BIOS was kept, it might be a good idea to try and restore to it to see if that is indeed the problem. However, if that doesn't fix it, then we're back to the settings issue again.

Only other thing that's coming to mind might be DEP/NX issues BUT...I've often found that when this many 'experts' are stumped by something, it usually turns out to be something incredibly simple. In fact, the more stumped experts, the more likely this is to be true*.

--Patrick

*with many exceptions.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm still waiting for the results of a chkdsk, a memory test, and possibly some Prime95 stress testing.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Just a heads up, I took it to my brother (4hrs away) and he found out that the BSOD is being caused by a Nvidia Driver and DirectX 11 conflict.

If anyone knows much about how to fix this, let me know, he's a bit at a loss. Trying to find a combination of Nvidia Driver + DirectX that will work.

Shakey

Shakey

Have you tried the beta Nvidia drivers? They may be flaky, but if it's not working at all right now it may not be a bad idea.

Jay

Jay

Why did you install Win7? :(

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Because I have 6gb of RAM that I was using on a 32bit OS.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Because I have 6gb of RAM that I was using on a 32bit OS.
That's why i only got 2 gb when i got the new PC... RAM is cheap, i figured i could always buy more later.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Sure, but 2gb a RAM isn't going to run Fallout 3 at Ultra Settings....

@Li3n

@Li3n

As i recall a 32bit OS won't be using any more RAM anyway, aka 1st one gets the OS and see if it works then buy more RAM.

Jay

Jay

That completely depends on the bus speed Shego.

Nonetheless, you should have waited till SP1. It's a guarantee that your computer's hardware doesn't have 100% compatibility with the new OS from Microsoft and may be some time before it will. 4GB with a 32 bit system = good for now

You'd think that a new OS, updated DirectX and all the hoopla coming from Win7 would be better for you or your gaming experience, but you are severely mistakened. It'll be a solid year before it'll work as good as or better than XP. When Nvidia will come out with their drivers to make your card work correctly, it'll be simply functional and won't be the innovation that you'd be hoping for. In fact, most cards that have been released before DirectX 11 and Win 7 will NEVER be as good as they could run in an XP environment as their intent wasn't for that Win7 environment. That and the fact that companies who make hardware will do exactly what they did with Vista... do their work half-assed and with sloppy driver code.

You'll one day get compatibility and run game fine... but don't expect performance. That's all I can say about that.

I'll personally upgrade to Win7, when they got a SP2 out and my PC needs upgrading in 2012. At least then my hardware will be fit to be used for that OS.

Shakey

Shakey

You'll one day get compatibility and run game fine... but don't expect performance. That's all I can say about that.
I guess nearly everyone that has actually used Win 7 is wrong then. Shego is the first person I have seen that has actually had an issue with Win 7. I run a 3 year old computer and have had zero performance loses in switching from XP to 7.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Dude, that was always true of Windows... i only switched from '98 to XP whe i literally couldn't play new games on it...

Jay

Jay

Go ahead and don’t believe me and continue to ride the tricycle. Whatever makes ordinary bobs and marys happy. I don’t care but I’ll say my bit and be gone.

Win7 as an OS is better than Vista in terms of disk management, startup/shutdown and memory performance. Not that it had a whole lot of competition coming from Vista though. What you'll get are the mother of all problems coming from hardware drivers coming from non-Vista compatible drivers from mostly non-on board video cards and sound cards. They’ll be functional… if you’re lucky but performance is going to suck a dick.

I’ve run extensive tests and the performance was almost laughable. There’s a whole lot of hoopla going on for a promising direction but it’ll take some time till the hardware and “software developers provide DirectX 11 the attention they need to kick up performance and companies go beyond providing “compatible” drivers to make their hardware work.

They won’t put the effort in for the old stuff; they’ll do it with the new stuff. Upgrading now is pretty useless.

Shannow

Shannow

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Chazwozel

That completely depends on the bus speed Shego.

Nonetheless, you should have waited till SP1. It's a guarantee that your computer's hardware doesn't have 100% compatibility with the new OS from Microsoft and may be some time before it will. 4GB with a 32 bit system = good for now

You'd think that a new OS, updated DirectX and all the hoopla coming from Win7 would be better for you or your gaming experience, but you are severely mistakened. It'll be a solid year before it'll work as good as or better than XP. When Nvidia will come out with their drivers to make your card work correctly, it'll be simply functional and won't be the innovation that you'd be hoping for. In fact, most cards that have been released before DirectX 11 and Win 7 will NEVER be as good as they could run in an XP environment as their intent wasn't for that Win7 environment. That and the fact that companies who make hardware will do exactly what they did with Vista... do their work half-assed and with sloppy driver code.

I'll personally upgrade to Win7, when they got a SP2 out and my PC needs upgrading in 2012. At least then my hardware will be fit to be used for that OS.
I upgraded my laptop to Win7, but it's not for gaming it's for work. No issues thus far.

Shannow

Shannow

No issues with gaming on either my laptop or home pc.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

http://www.driverheaven.net/articles.php?articleid=137&pageid=3

Win 7 beats XP in every benchmark and either ties or wins from Vista. Performance is fine, stability is fine. Windows 7 is simply Vista SP3.

Drivers aren't really an issue, since the decent hardware manufacturers have had W7 drivers out for months already, for the sucky manufacturers that don't, using the Vista driver usually works just as fine.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I also have had no problems with Win 7. My gaming has improved mainly due to the fact that I'm now on a 64 bit OS, compared to a 32 bit, but I fully realize that's not exclusive to this generation.

Shakey

Shakey

I've looked around, but haven't found anything on an issue with DX11 and Nvidia drivers. If doing a new install of the games doesn't work, I'd say try going back to the older bios version. If that doesn't fix it, I'm out of ideas. I wouldn't think it would be a hardware issue since it was working fine before, but :noidea:.

Cuyval Dar

I have not had a single issue with gaming or anything else on 64-bit Win7, and I have been running everything from the earliest 68** leaked builds all the way up to the RTM.

Anyone who suggests that it has problems and downgrading to XP is sowing FUD.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

It seems odd that it's an Nvidia conflict, if it gave a BSOD after a format, unless you installed Nvidia drivers before trying the game. In any case, 195.55 was out since Tuesday, have you tried installing that one?

Cuyval Dar

Also, the latest NV drivers have been shit. I also suspect shitty Creative X-Fi drivers.

figmentPez

figmentPez

As i recall a 32bit OS won't be using any more RAM anyway, aka 1st one gets the OS and see if it works then buy more RAM.
You recall wrong. A 32-bit OS can see 4GB of memory, including video card, hard drive cache, etc. which usually results in about 3 - 3.5GB of RAM being usable by the OS (though it can be 2GB or less depending on the hardware).

On another note, I agree that anti-Win7 sentiments are FUD. Especially claims that current hardware will always run better on XP than on 7, which is absurd. Most game developers, and I'd guess most hardware/software devlopers in general, are currently running Windows Vista on their machines, and Vista has far more in common with 7 than it does with XP. It's already true that Windows 7 can match or beat XP in most benchmarks, and that will likely improve in time.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Just want to give a heads-up to this argument.

It has NOTHING to do with my Win7 or my drivers. Something has obviously happened with the BIOS update and we can't fix the issue or get it rolled back at this time.

Currently we're uninstalling Win7 and putting back WinXP (because the MSI BIOS site will only allow BIOS rollbacks on Xp/Vista) we're going to roll back the BIOS to each previously available (trying not to fry the MB in the process) and try and run the games in each setting.

If this still does not fix the issue, we're going to be swapping out the video card for an ATI card and swapping out the RAM sticks.

Null

Null

Good luck with that. I'm lucky I know enough about my computer to occasionally put in a new drive here or there.

Shakey

Shakey

Good luck.

figmentPez

figmentPez

If this still does not fix the issue, we're going to be swapping out the video card for an ATI card and swapping out the RAM sticks.
Before you start swapping out hardware, you might want to actually run some diagnostics to see if you can narrow down the problem area. Check your hard drive for errors, run memory testing (the Windows boot loader has an option to do this, I assume you've seen it when rebooting from a blue screen), run some stress testing of the processor, etc.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

joezoe said:
Banned spambot. - Ame
:rofl:-:thumbsup:

@Li3n

@Li3n

You recall wrong. A 32-bit OS can see 4GB of memory, including video card, hard drive cache, etc. which usually results in about 3 - 3.5GB of RAM being usable by the OS (though it can be 2GB or less depending on the hardware).
[/QUOTE]

Not that wrong it seems...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Not that wrong it seems...[/QUOTE]

Yes, for the relatively few systems that have 2GB+ of memory in graphics cards, hard drives, optical drives, etc. you were technically correct. However, for the majority of computers that have significantly less than 1GB of memory besides main system RAM (512MB or less graphics, 32MB or less HDD, 2MB or less optical, assorted KB in caches elsewhere), a 32-bit OS will use considerably more than 2GB of RAM.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Best of luck, Shego. Very interested to see how this one turns out.

--Patrick