[Movies] Back to the Future: A Tale of Two Marties

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you time travel you must, immediately upon return, visit all your parallel universes and destroy all time machines and people who know how to make them so no one can go back to before your initial travel and cause your timeline to diverge.

Again.

Unfortunately you also have to fight off all of the you from other timelines who are trying to destroy your time machine and kill you. This is easier if you travel to a time before you had the time machine and didn't grasp the implications.

Thus if you ever are visited by your future self, he's only there to kill you so you don't develop or find the time machine you're going to eventually find.

Always kill your future self first.[DOUBLEPOST=1368640522][/DOUBLEPOST]Corollary: any parallel universe that discovers time travel instantly ceases to exist, and takes millions of uninvolved universes with them.

I had never really considered the ramifications of Original Marty coming back to the present and seeing new-timeline Marty going into the past...

http://www.wolfgnards.com/index.php/2013/05/12/back-to-back-to-the-future-a-tale-of-two-martys
But did he see new timeline Marty go to the past? Consider in BTTF2 when Old Biff time travels to give his younger self the Sports Almanac & then returns to the future he doesn't go to the new timeline - he returns to his old one.

Clearly any changes to the timeline aren't immediate upon returning to your original time - either the changes fade in over time (much like Marty was gradually fading out of existence in 1955 after preventing his own birth), or they require some further trigger to activate (like say the Delorean time travelling again - Old Biff's timeline doesn't change to Rich Biff's until after the Delorean is used again - Marty returns to his timeline, sees himself going back in time and then the timeline changes).

Of course this brings with it new problems - what happened to new Marty? He didn't time travel. So does he exist separately from original Marty in the current timeline? And what happens when they meet?

Or did he just blip out of existence when the timeline changed (or rather not come into existence when everything else changed)? And was he alone when that happened? If not, what is that other person's reaction going to be to original Marty? They saw their Marty disappear & now there's this other person that looks like Marty & claims to be Marty walking around but their memories aren't quite right. Clearly they're not actually Marty! Who are they? Where did they come from? What are they up to?

And if new Marty does cease to exist in the new timeline does that mean original Marty essentially killed him? (Guns don't kill people...time travel kills people)

Honestly I always thought that when Marty went to a new timeline he absorbed the Marty in that timeline(based on the theory that only one version of one's self can exist in one time line) and the memories of that Marty live in the sub-conscious of Marty prime. The only reason he doesn't have major access to said memories is because he wants to believe himself as a normal human, rather than the multiverse singularity that he is. The fact that he has the probable powers of a god, yet continues to be and believe he is a regular ass human shows how good a person he is.

Also while typing multiverse I got the red wavy line under it! Silly computer dictionary.

2015 biff comes back the the same 2015 because Marty ultimately prevents alt 1985 with rich biff from happening.

I bet Marty prime was actually starting to fade out of existence and turn into alt 1985 Marty (who was in Europe or something?) By the end of BTTF2 but they didn't address it.

2015 biff comes back the the same 2015 because Marty ultimately prevents alt 1985 with rich biff from happening.

I bet Marty prime was actually starting to fade out of existence and turn into alt 1985 Marty (who was in Europe or something?) By the end of BTTF2 but they didn't address it.
I would believe as such but keep in mind BTTF2 Marty was in a school far away from Marty's home town. If Marty prime's consciousness were to merge with the consciousness in THAT timeline he would have appeared in the far away school that that alternate Marty was in and would not have that awesome altercation with Biff. Time/dimensional travel is not something set in stone, be it ethereal or corporeal therfore whatever happens both makes sense and nonsense AS the utter definition of normalcy and logic is based on the perspective of certain people.

I would also like to say that this topic did not create these thoughts in me, rather the "Back to the Future" franchise has made me question the space time continuum completely. If it weren't for that shitty Beowulf movie, I would worship Zemeckis as GOD.

I'm not sure why they would fuse into one though. Wouldn't the product of this universe just keep on trucking while the one that's doesn't belong get faded out as the universe corrects itself?

Kinda off topic: can we address how great a super Marty who is the product of two alt Marty's doing the fusion dance would be?

I'd pay to see that, he said to the artists if the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.