Ask Me Anything: Live from Finland, North_Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
How "fish out of water" do you sometimes feel here as a non-United Statesian who is in a radically different time zone with different peak hours?

North_Ranger

Staff member
How "fish out of water" do you sometimes feel here as a non-United Statesian who is in a radically different time zone with different peak hours?
Not that much, really. Granted, I don't know all the latest shows and don't understand what's the thing with Kanye West, but mostly I can relate.

Plus, I love weirding out you Yanks with my exotic stories :D

North_Ranger

Staff member
Do you identify with Gimli and do I have your ax?
Yes, I do. I used to identify with Rhys-Jones as well until he lost weight and his beard, that damn traitor.

Yes, you have my ax. Catch!

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Are Åbo and Turku the same place?
Officially, yes. But if you live there, you know those are two different places.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Would you recommend Finland as a tourist destination? if so, when and where in Finlandia?
Yes, I would. And depending on what you like to do on holidays...
... if you like outdoorsy stuff, skiing and such: go to Lapland during the winter.
... if you like arts and architecture, go to Helsinki and Turku during the summer.
... if you like sailing, go to the Turku and Åland archipelago during the summer.
... if you like to try your hand at swimming in frozen lakes, go anywhere in Finland during the winter.
... if you like the Moomin Trolls, go to the Moomin World in Naantali during the summer.

O

Occasional Poster

Do you have any real hostility towards Sweden/Swedes or are you just being entertaining?

North_Ranger

Staff member
What (traditionally) Finnish dish would you recommend to a tourist?
Depends on where you are, and when. Many of the dishes are seasonal.

Personal favourite, though... smoked lake herring with potatoes and butter.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

Do you have any real hostility towards Sweden/Swedes or are you just being entertaining?
It's a kind of a friendly rivalry, to be honest. Though some of the Swedish-speaking Finns tend to be really snooty...

---------- Post added 09-18-2009 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-17-2009 at 11:58 PM ----------

Are Åbo and Turku the same place?
Officially, yes. But if you live there, you know those are two different places.[/QUOTE]What's the difference? Is it like a really small town that shares the same postal code with a somewhat larger one?[/QUOTE]

More of a joking folklore kinda thing, really. The ferry crossing the River Aura is said to travel from Turku to Åbo, for instance. And generally speaking people talk about "this side of the river" (where the old city was) and "that side of the river". Turku is the city's Finnish name; Åbo is its Swedish name.

A

Andromache

so whats with preemptively trying to change/end a thread's direction with the sauna tactic when a lock would have the same effect?

S

Silvanesti

awesome. :rofl:

and a question:

Hey dude, if i come by your area, would you let me crash on your couch? (I would love to travel, and from what you've said, your neck of the woods sounds fucking awesome)

North_Ranger

Staff member
awesome. :rofl:

and a question:

Hey dude, if i come by your area, would you let me crash on your couch? (I would love to travel, and from what you've said, your neck of the woods sounds fucking awesome)
Yes, I would. But only if you can handle me snoring (I've been told I do so) from half the apartment away.

S

Silvanesti

Its a deal! We shall (maybe, god help me i really want to travel) someday have awesome adventures :falldown:

Q

Qonas

What is the Finnish sports scene like? Obviously the NFL is king over here, with college football and baseball and hockey all grabbing attention too. What's it like there?

North_Ranger

Staff member
If you had to leave Finland forever, where would you go to try and find a new home?
Ireland.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

How many wrist watches do you own?
One.

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Would you be offended that I thought of you today while watching a movie set in Norway?
Not as much as I would be if it had been a Swedish film :D

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

What is the Finnish sports scene like? Obviously the NFL is king over here, with college football and baseball and hockey all grabbing attention too. What's it like there?
Finnish national hockey league is the big thing during the winter season, as are Formula One (does it count as a sport if you sit your ass in a car?), rally and track games. Soccer and pesäpallo (Finnish variety of baseball, developed first as a means of training soldiers following WWI) get some following as well.

But mainly, it's hockey and F1.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Did you know that the Finns were able to take out Russian tanks with bottles of flaming alcohol?

Did you know that Finland is awesome?

Why do you hate pants?
Yes, I did. The Soviet foreign minister Molotov claimed that the Soviet bombers were only dropping bread baskets to Finland "for the starving Finns", so the soldiers decided to create a cocktail to match.

Yes, I did. And don't you goddamn forget it.

Because they are a tool of oppression. Also, have you ever tried taking a sauna in pants? Not very pleasant.

North_Ranger

Staff member
seriously, the story of Finland against Russia is better than Rocky. Somebody should make a movie.

Before going to a Sauna do you go to a hot spring?
No. Finland does not lie on volcanic soil, hence no hot springs.

A shower usually precedes a sauna, and on waterfront properties (especially summer homes and rentable camp areas) there is usually the possibility of taking a dip in the lake when you come out of sauna - and then go back in. Taking a dip in the wintertime is good for the circulation, as is rolling around naked in snow.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find any volcanism in that area. Slap in the middle of a craton.

How do speak English so well? You have all the little American idioms and subtleties down pat. From typing alone, I would've never guess you weren't American.

North_Ranger

Staff member
How do speak English so well? You have all the little American idioms and subtleties down pat. From typing alone, I would've never guess you weren't American.
First off... thank you.

I've studied English since third grade.
We get a lot of American TV shows and movies, almost all subtitled instead of dubbed ('cept for children's movies)
Most of my reading material has been in English since I started web surfing in '97.
And I major in English at the university... where most of our professors and about 90% of the courses within that discipline are in English.

In other words, it's the old adage: practice, practice, practice.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

What's that urge of you to unpants yourself?
http://halforums.wikidot.com/sauna-thread

Also, I just love weirding out the Americans :D Say, have I told you about our unisex saunas...?

Status
Not open for further replies.