Are we too docile?

strawman

strawman

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

waffle.jpg

Gusto

Gusto

I'd say mostly because we're not fucking batshit crazy.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'd say mostly because we're not fucking batshit crazy.
Was literally going to say the same thing.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I got all excited that this was about society in general and was going to come in here with theories about floride and shit.

But yeah. This forum is way too docile.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA

tegid

tegid

Ohgod, I have a friend who's sometimes this extreme (not necessarily saying those same things). He really doesn't believe those extreme viewpoints, but it takes some tiresome discussion to see that (and for him to realize it too, I think).[DOUBLEPOST=1357926131][/DOUBLEPOST]
I got all excited that this was about society in general and was going to come in here with theories about floride and shit.

But yeah. This forum is way too docile.

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA
Oh and this, although I was preparing for some political discussion.

Seriously, people need to get into politics and be angrier over important things. I hate it that so many people just don't give a shit.

Calleja

Calleja

I do have some pretty radical beliefs (I'm sympathetic a some aspects of eugenics, for instance) but that's just fucking crazy.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I do have some pretty radical beliefs (I'm sympathetic a some aspects of eugenics, for instance) but that's just fucking crazy.
I feel like this statement needs some elaboration. That's like saying "not ALL of Hitler's ideas were bad" and then walking away.

Also, Godwin'd

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

dogstyle?

need to get my hearing aid checked...

Calleja

Calleja

Well... I said it was radical.

I think we're making humanity a disservice by helping morons procreate. I feel medical treatments should be justified... drug overdoses, darwin award-like stupidity etc shouldn't be treated like emergencies... first treat all the productive, nonidiotic citizens first and THEN if there's time and resources, get to the idiots. I also feel sterilization of people that should not be allowed near children wouldn't be a bad thing. And people should pass a history/civics test before being allowed to vote, but I guess that's not really eugenic-y.

Basically, watch the intro to Idiocracy and realize it's literally what scares me the most about this planet right now. Cause it's eerily true.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

*backs out of thread slowly*

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Uhmmmmm

Yep.

strawman

strawman

I feel like this statement needs some elaboration.

:popcorn:

Dave

Dave

We've become more docile because we treat each other in a manner that is civilized. Our rules are in place because we want an environment where we can have debates without attacks and sometimes just get silly. Part of it is because we've all grown to know each other better.

But if you are talking about civilization as a whole...nah. We're just as violent and stupid as we've always been, we just have the means to broadcast it better.

Calleja

Calleja

Uhmmmmm

Yep.
Hey, you asked. I'm a big darwinist, social darwinism included.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Hey, you asked. I'm a big darwinist, social darwinism included.
I'm choosing to be docile and not start that debate.

I suddenly feel like we need Charlie in here.

Dave

Dave

I suddenly feel like we need Charlie in here.
Or Chaz.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well, we could, if -someone- hadn't banned him :p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, Halforums hasn't become more docile. It's just that Chaz and Makare aren't around anymore. :p

phil

phil

Same reason we don't have threads about if water is wet. You don't debate facts.

/trollface

Bubble181

Bubble181

I kind of agree with at least part of what Calleha said. I mean, my girlfriend works in the mentally handicapped industry. It's very nice and great what we're doing and how much we're doing for them (over here - state-organized health care), but sometimes I have to wonder if it's really worth it having 3 adults working in a class of 8 mentally handicapped who will never get above the mental level of a 3 year old. It's great that we're doing it for those that are there, but preventing them from being so numerous might be doing a kindness - and the money can be better spent elsewhere.

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah, I'm being pragmatic about it, of course., putting human kind as a species over individuals. I know the second someone I loved was involved I'd become an utter hypocrite about it, though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I blame my ever increasing real life responsibilities.

Zappit

Zappit

I still hold on to my belief that removing all traces of the Kardashians from all media will go a loooooong way to rehabilitating our culture.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

The reason why we don't have threads like that is because Invader and a handful of other folks never made the leap from HP.

Or at least the people playing them didn't bother to bring them over. :p

Gusto

Gusto

Also, re: OP:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I still hold on to my belief that removing all traces of the Kardashians from all media will go a loooooong way to rehabilitating our culture.
Really? But they were the best part of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

...wait.

Calleja

Calleja

I'd just like to point out for those confused that "Kardashian" and "Cardassian", a Star Trek race, sound pretty much the same.

They are NOT spelled the same, though.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't think anyone's legitimately confused.

I do, however, think many think it's legitimately funny. :)

Calleja

Calleja

Well, I'm a visual guy, so it took me like a good 30 seconds to get the pun, cause in my head, even though they sound the same, the words could not be further apart.

My brain's weird.

It is a pretty fucking awesome pun, though. I'll give you that.

Anonymous

NOPE!

Anonymous

That post above was me, I accidentally clicked anonymous.

Frank

Frank

SON OF A BITCH, it was still clicked. MODS HELP ME!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

LOLwut?

Calleja

Calleja

Oh, that makes sense, Anonymous, I didn't get who you were before but now it's clear.

Frank

Frank

You can't edit or delete anonymous postings.

Calleja

Calleja

FUCK YOU BEAT ME

strawman

strawman

FUCK YOU BEAT ME
Sounds like officer violence.

Calleja

Calleja

Or an urgent request for a hand job.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Or an urgent request for a hand job.
Sounds like my prom night!

Calleja

Calleja

Sounds like Thursday to me.

Frank

Frank

For me, it was Tuesday.

Calleja

Calleja

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Or the hand on Thursdays, either.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I prefer Wednesday, myself.

Get it? Christina Ricci? Who played Wednesday on The Adams Family?

*taps the mic* Hello? Hello, is this thing on?

Anonymous

NOPE!

Calleja

Calleja

GODDAMIT FRANK!

Dave

Dave

Too bad we can't change who the poster was...

PatrThom

PatrThom

The practical side of me thinks that some good could be accomplished by culling the weak, the ones who don't like to play nice, the criminals, the careless, the thoughtless, and quite a few other groups as well. But the frosted side of me says that wholesale slaughter of population segments isn't just morally wrong, it's a grossly inefficient way to modify undesirable/unsociable behavior.

--Patrick

Chippy

Chippy

lol Eugenics is bad, dummies.[DOUBLEPOST=1357977044][/DOUBLEPOST]Also (And this is no way referring to this thread) I love when the weekly "We should cull the weak and stupid" thread comes up on Reddit. Because lord knows we should save the gene pool for only the highest quality neckbeard STEM majors.

strawman

strawman

I just ask anyone who thinks the weak or ill should be culled if they have a do not resuscitate order on file so that if they suffer a heart attack, or major injury they will abide by their own beliefs and allow nature to take its course.

So far they've all excused themselves from their own program.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

lol holy shit at taking the intro to that stupid fucking movie* Idiocracy as scientific fact / reality

*note I still think it's funny but it's...FICTIONAL CHARACTERS

Bubble181

Bubble181

I just ask anyone who thinks the weak or ill should be culled if they have a do not resuscitate order on file so that if they suffer a heart attack, or major injury they will abide by their own beliefs and allow nature to take its course.

So far they've all excused themselves from their own program.
To be perfectly clear, I don't think we should actually start rounding peoplle up and putting them down.

However, I do , in fact, have a DNR order filed, along with my organ donorship and leaving my body (what's left of it after organ donation) to science.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I do , in fact, have a DNR order filed, along with my organ donorship and leaving my body (what's left of it after organ donation) to science.
So the message you are sending to future generations is, essentially, "Learn from my mistakes, people!"

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

So the message you are sending to future generations is, essentially, "Learn from my mistakes, people!"

--Patrick
Learning is the greatest good we have, and I doubt I'll make any great contribution other than as a bad example....

TommiR

TommiR

I kind of agree with at least part of what Calleha said. I mean, my girlfriend works in the mentally handicapped industry. It's very nice and great what we're doing and how much we're doing for them (over here - state-organized health care), but sometimes I have to wonder if it's really worth it having 3 adults working in a class of 8 mentally handicapped who will never get above the mental level of a 3 year old. It's great that we're doing it for those that are there, but preventing them from being so numerous might be doing a kindness - and the money can be better spent elsewhere.
I sort of agree with this, with the understanding that we're talking about (mandatory and more extensive) screening of foetuses for major genetic defects, with follow-up termination of pregnancies if something is discovered. I'm tending towards those terminations being voluntary, though I'm unsure as to how much it would change the current situation. Would make the parents more informed and better prepared to handle their child's condition, I guess. To be frank, I'm not sure a cost-benefit analysis is completely in favor of eugenics.

With regards to some opinions put forward in this thread, I must say I'm against 'culling the herd' in situations where we are dealing with live people. Currently, every person obtains certain protections when they are born, protection of life being one of them, and I'm not sure it is such a good idea to start monkeying around with those too much. That road might lead to some dark places.