Export thread

Anyone Want to Bring Back MST3K?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...because thanks to Kickstarter, now's your chance for a new season of it.

Bubble181

Bubble181

...because thanks to Kickstarter, now's your chance for a new season of it.

Already posted in the Kickstarter thread. I admit, though, some people probably don't read that :p

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It is a very scarcely read thread.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm all for it! Let's cheer them on! MAY-OR DEW-EY! MAY-OR DEW-EY!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

i'm fine with rifftrax, but thx

General Specific

General Specific

i'm fine with rifftrax, but thx

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

1999? Hard to believe it's been that long.

I'd like to know if he has Kevin Murphy on board. There's really only one Tom Servo and it can't just be the Joel show, it's gotta be MST3k.

That said, I'm willing to gamble a few bucks for this.

fade

fade

Why wouldn't he be? Was there some drama?

General Specific

General Specific

Kevin Murphy is with Rifftrax and they have stated that they are not affiliated with the return of MST3k, but do support it.

Doesn't mean he won't be back to be Tom Servo again, but does create some interference with all the riffs they turn out.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think that's something Joel needs to iron out. Even though Mike Nelson didn't take over as host until a while later, he was involved with the show in the background (and as various random sketch characters) for a long time and IIRC hosted for longer than Joel.

Fun Size

Fun Size

They've got new guys doing crow and tom servo, and they're not bad, but Felicia Day was great in the new video as the evil scientist.

evilmike

evilmike

They've cast the other Mad -- Patton Oswalt as TV's Son of TV's Frank.

The conversation reportedly went something like this:

(via A.V.Club)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I approve.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

General Specific

General Specific

Last day to jump in on this, reeeeaaaaally close to getting 12 episodes w/ a 13th (Christmas Special) promised if it goes beyond.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I meant to jump for the DVD collection and missed my chance.

But the good news is--12 EPISODES! FUCK YEAH!

Frank

Frank

Hey guys, I never saw that show growing up. It just wasn't aired in Canada, or at least my part of Canada.

I tried watching the first episode and it literally put me to sleep it was so boring (one joke every couple of minutes, utterly unwatchably boring old movie). Give me some great episodes to see so I can understand this nerd cultural phenomenon I was not privy to.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Hey guys, I never saw that show growing up. It just wasn't aired in Canada, or at least my part of Canada.

I tried watching the first episode and it literally put me to sleep it was so boring (one joke every couple of minutes, utterly unwatchably boring old movie). Give me some great episodes to see so I can understand this nerd cultural phenomenon I was not privy to.
My favorite episode:

Emrys

Emrys

Pod People
Final Sacrifice
Parts: The Clonus Horror
Any of the Gamera films
Fugitive Alien 1 & 2
The Unearthly
The Giant Gila Monster
Attack of the Giant Leeches
The Killer Shrews
Jack Frost
Santa Claus
The Creeping Terror
Samson vs. The Vampire Women
Prince of Space
Space Mutiny
Werewolf

Don't watch any of season 1 until you've watched at least half of the above.

PatrThom

PatrThom

FWIW there were episodes prior to season 1. They haven't been released because the staff & Co. all agree that they are bad, horrible, and embarrassing.

--Patrick

fade

fade

Puma man.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Puma man.
I remember loving that as a kid when I saw it as weekend movie fare.

--Patrick

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

Warrior of the Lost World
Cave Dwellers
Mitchell (this episode is the transition from Joel to Mike)

Also the movie (Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie), which uses This Island Earth.

General Specific

General Specific

I meant to jump for the DVD collection and missed my chance.

But the good news is--12 EPISODES! FUCK YEAH!
Actually, by the end of it, we got FOURTEEN episodes! Finished with a grand total of $6.3 Million. They promised a Christmas Special at 5.9 and since we went so far over, they went ahead and added another regular episode at the end.

Puma man.
He flies like a moron.

fade

fade

To put it bluntly, the first season is pretty bad. I may be wrong, but I think this is when they were still doing it on the fly. It's scripted later.

In any case, I've always watched it with the same pattern as the jokes. I pay attention at the beginning and the end and sort of have it on as background in the middle. The jokes are usually rapidfire at the beginning, then slow, then fast again at the end.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Good news: even if it wasn't in your donation branch, you can still buy the full DVD or Blu-Ray set of the new season as an add-on.

So that'll be cool to get in about a year. :p

To put it bluntly, the first season is pretty bad. I may be wrong, but I think this is when they were still doing it on the fly. It's scripted later.
Correct. I wish they had redone some of those public access season movies, like Robot Monster or The Crawling Hand. Those deserved a scripted riffing.

Anyway, for Frank, some of my favorite episodes are:

Laserblast
Pod People
Puma Man (last year's Turkey Day had excellent choices)
Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders
Gamera vs Guiron

I hate to say this, but some of the episodes where they do a black and white movie are tough sits. The movies are harder to hear, and what was considered amateur in those days was much worse than what was amateur even 20 years later, which meant that even in scripted episodes, the gang just didn't have a lot to work with. They managed to pull through on that with Manos, but some movies like Teenagers from Outer Space are so dull. I learned with Rifftrax watching Twilight: New Moon that there's only so much a riff can do to make an unwatchable film watchable.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

I learned with Rifftrax watching Twilight: New Moon that there's only so much a riff can do to make an unwatchable film watchable.
The Beatniks. That movie is excrutiatingly painful to watch. Every character is unlikable and stupid and grates on my nerves (especially the crazy Beatnik dude, the most annoying character ever), and the riffs just can't overcome that. I'd rather watch Manos without the riffs.

Emrys

Emrys

Kitten with a Whip. I just want to reach through the screen and slap all of the characters.

fade

fade

It's not strictly MST3K, but the live Christmas shorts Rifftrax was great.

General Specific

General Specific

but some movies like Teenagers from Outer Space are so dull.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just a few minutes in; yeah.

I enjoy the sketches from that episode more than the movie.

evilmike

evilmike

RiffTrax is hosting a MST3K reunion with Joel Hodgson, Trace Beaulieu, Frank Conniff, Mary Jo Pehl, Bridget Nelson, and Jonah Ray (the host of the new MST3K show)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Mark your calendars, folks: the new season of MST3K is live on April 14th.

evilmike

evilmike

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's almost time for one of the giant monster movies ever made!

Reptilicus!

Kovac

Kovac

I'm curious to hear how this show does in countries which never had the original Mystery science theatre.

Dei

Dei

I don't care how anyone else feels about Felicia Day, I love her.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

We watched the first episode last night. I've wanted to see Reptilicus since I was little, but seeing it get the MST3K treatment was definitely worth the wait. Lots of good quips, and lots of points where the movie made you laugh all on its own. Shame they couldn't get their hands on the deleted scene of Reptilicus flying; a scene deleting for looking "too silly." Guess the director didn't watch the rest of his damn movie.

I only had a couple gripes. One, at points when no one in the movie is talking, Jonah and the bots sometimes went into rapid fire mode, saying as much as they could, without space between lines. I wanted to reach into the TV and tell them "It's okay, breathe, give the jokes space, I promise we won't get bored." Didn't really care for the shadow hijinks--like, if Gypsy is going to riff with them, just have her there.

I had another, but it's personal and won't matter once I get used to it--it is so hard not having Kevin Murphy play Tom Servo. The guy playing Crow sounds like he's in a similar voice family as the two previous Crows, but not so with Tom Servo. This doesn't affect me during the movie, but it's apparent during the skits. But eventually I'll get used to it and I'm sure any wrinkles in the cast's dynamic will smooth out.

Overall, very enjoyable experience. I'm looking forward to watching all the other trash they got for this season. (Geez, I bought The Land that Time Forgot when I was a kid. Not to riff, just to watch a shitty dinosaur movie!)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Cry Wilderness

What is this? How is this? We're only at the beginning and I'm just fucking stunned at this movie. This isn't just bad. This is incredible. Where the hell did they dig this movie up?

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

Cry Wilderness

What is this? How is this? We're only at the beginning and I'm just fucking stunned at this movie. This isn't just bad. This is incredible. Where the hell did they dig this movie up?
Just wait until you get to Starcrash. Cry Wilderness won't seem so bad after that. :Leyla:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just wait until you get to Starcrash. Cry Wilderness won't seem so bad after that. :Leyla:
You gotta be shooting my Bigfoot with a statement like that.

Frank

Frank

Man, I dunno what it is. This should be right up my alley but for me it's a cure for insomnia.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Man, I dunno what it is. This should be right up my alley but for me it's a cure for insomnia.
Do you mean Cry Wilderness or the show overall? Because I've had that happen to me with MST3k before and usually just means I'm tired.

Cry Wilderness just gets worse as it goes on. Sudden out of nowhere plot points, the hunter guy getting creepy, the kid saying racist shit. Red Hawk. It's a gift that keeps on giving, like a rambunctious raccoon cub that's actually a vicious adult raccoon.

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, The Beast of Hollow Mountain is fantastic. So good.

Frank

Frank

Do you mean Cry Wilderness or the show overall? Because I've had that happen to me with MST3k before and usually just means I'm tired.

Cry Wilderness just gets worse as it goes on. Sudden out of nowhere plot points, the hunter guy getting creepy, the kid saying racist shit. Red Hawk. It's a gift that keeps on giving, like a rambunctious raccoon cub that's actually a vicious adult raccoon.
I just mean the show in general. The jokes don't do much for me and the movies are so boring. Not good bad, like Resident Evil. But boring bad, like every Uwe Boll movie.

I've given both incarnations of the original series a try and now the new one and they all knock me out. I guess it just isn't for me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That sucks. I'm sorry.

fade

fade

my_tombstone.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1492782080,1492781951][/DOUBLEPOST]
I only had a couple gripes. One, at points when no one in the movie is talking, Jonah and the bots sometimes went into rapid fire mode, saying as much as they could, without space between lines. I wanted to reach into the TV and tell them "It's okay, breathe, give the jokes space, I promise we won't get bored."
I wonder if this is in response to the biggest complaint a lot of people had about the original series. In the middle the jokes lulled a lot. I had a habit of really only paying attention to MST3K at the beginning and the end.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

View attachment 23705[DOUBLEPOST=1492782080,1492781951][/DOUBLEPOST]

I wonder if this is in response to the biggest complaint a lot of people had about the original series. In the middle the jokes lulled a lot. I had a habit of really only paying attention to MST3K at the beginning and the end.
Maybe? In their best episodes there wasn't a lull, but I can't pretend the lull didn't happen at times. I feel like they'll be more careful about that now, but in the space of a silence I'd rather have one joke that lands rather than three that don't. But it's not like it ruined the episode.

Probably watching episode 3 tonight unless my wife decides to go to bed early.

Frank

Frank

I watched Cry Wilderness and actually stayed awake through it. Mostly because the movie was so fucking insane. The boring old shitty movies they sometimes watch are the ones that kill me.

A lot of the jokes fall flat still.

Also, g'fuckyaself Fade.

fade

fade

Well I am my second favorite sexual partner...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Time Travelers is a shit dull movie, but they made good on it, especially the sketches. New Tom voice felt a lot more like Tom Servo this episode.

Krisken

Krisken

I'm loving the series, and I'm super stoked to watch the season again to get all the stuff I missed the first time. The best part of MST3K is catching stuff you missed on the first few watches, and the show just gets better and better (yes, even the stuff you think 'fell flat' because you for some reason didn't know a reference). I love it from the beginning where Jonah gets sucked up to redo the intro (fucking brilliant) all the way to the "Push the button Max". So many references to the old series but keeping it fresh at the same time.

So sorry for those who don't like it, but more sorry not sorry. This is fantastic and I'm an old fan who loves the new shows.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm loving the series, and I'm super stoked to watch the season again to get all the stuff I missed the first time. The best part of MST3K is catching stuff you missed on the first few watches, and the show just gets better and better (yes, even the stuff you think 'fell flat' because you for some reason didn't know a reference). I love it from the beginning where Jonah gets sucked up to redo the intro (fucking brilliant) all the way to the "Push the button Max". So many references to the old series but keeping it fresh at the same time.
^This. They have a good blend of referencing old stuff, keeping the necessary elements that make MST3k what it is, and also adding some new things. I'm so glad the new season is good; it would've been such a disappointment if after all this time and the huge Kickstarter for it to have come back sucking.

Still have 11 episodes to go. I wanted to skip to Beast of Hollow Mountain, but my wife insists we watch them in order the first time. Probably for the best since already in episode 3 they made a callback to Reptilicus since that and The Time Travelers have the same writer.

So sorry for those who don't like it, but more sorry not sorry.
:pud: Frank wasn't saying "fuck this new stuff," he said he's never been able to get into MST3k. It's not his thing and that's okay.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Well I am my second favorite sexual partner...
On the other hand...

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Starcrash

They were not mean enough to this awful movie. This was a rough sit.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

Starcrash

They were not mean enough to this awful movie. This was a rough sit.
Unless the last two episodes have truly horrendous movies, I think this was the worst movie to sit through so far. So... yay?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That's why I like Nostalgia Critic. He (and his brother) sat through it so I didn't have to.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Unless the last two episodes have truly horrendous movies, I think this was the worst movie to sit through so far. So... yay?
It was like they thought they could just throw a bunch of scenes together from other movies and somehow they'd transform into a whole. A lot of "we'll fix it in post and editing" except those steps never happened. I don't think I've loathed a movie that MST3K riffed this much since Future War.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

It was like they thought they could just throw a bunch of scenes together from other movies and somehow they'd transform into a whole. A lot of "we'll fix it in post and editing" except those steps never happened. I don't think I've loathed a movie that MST3K riffed this much since Future War.
Also, "Just keep removing bits of her outfit. Maybe they won't notice the lack of a plot."

fade

fade

Oh, so it's not all bad.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Also, "Just keep removing bits of her outfit. Maybe they won't notice the lack of a plot."
And then those bits suddenly return for a couple shots. Then disappear again.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wife and I totally forgot we still had episodes of this left and picked up where we left off the other night with Wizards of the Lost Kingdom. That was some nutso shit. Most of the movie exists in this weird state of inner conflict where the moviemakers kept throwing in new misadventures in an effort to keep the movie from getting boring, and yet almost every one ends in an anti-climax or stops just before it's about to get interesting. Trying to made Kor (Cor?) a badass was just ... not working, and it was hilarious.

I forget how many more movies we have left, but I know the next is this one's sequel. I don't think the old show did sequels often, probably because few movies given the MST3k treatment even managed to have sequels. Only ones I can think of are the Gamera series (which barely counts), and War of the Colossal Beast being a direct sequel to The Amazing Colossal Man.

fade

fade

Is this how the new episodes are? I haven't seen them. The joke density is too damn high. They're supposed to be commenting on the movie, not narrating it.

Fun Size

Fun Size

That was the bug criticism Mrs. Size and myself had - they sometimes just don't give the jokes room to breathe.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Netflix has renewed MST3K for season 12. More episodes coming.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Season 12 coming in the not too distant future.

November 22nd! It's a Turkey Day miracle! :aaah:

evilmike

evilmike

The Gauntlet

Emrys

Emrys

Pre-Thanksgiving MST3K Turkey Day Marathon on YouTube right now.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Mac and Me is a terrible, nightmarish movie that no one should ever watch.

But if you're going to anyway, go for the MST3k treatment. They were really on it for this season's first episode in a way that'll be hard to top.

Atlantic Rim was just a chore to sit through. There were some good laughs, but it's hard to make fun of it when it's clear no one making it on any level cared at all what they were doing.

fade

fade

I finally watched The Return. It definitely took some time to find its legs, but it kind of got there. It's hot and cold, but honestly if I remove the rose-tinted glasses, so was the old show. The best of the bunch was the Santa movie (can't remember the name). That felt like the old days actually. I still stand by my initial criticism from a year or so ago--the new crew's joke density still tends to be too high. There's a lot of good jokes, but it's just too much, too fast. Near the end of the season, though, they get a better pace. But it does take quite a while. Haven't checked out The Gauntlet yet.