Anyone Want to Bring Back MST3K?

1999? Hard to believe it's been that long.

I'd like to know if he has Kevin Murphy on board. There's really only one Tom Servo and it can't just be the Joel show, it's gotta be MST3k.

That said, I'm willing to gamble a few bucks for this.

Kevin Murphy is with Rifftrax and they have stated that they are not affiliated with the return of MST3k, but do support it.

Doesn't mean he won't be back to be Tom Servo again, but does create some interference with all the riffs they turn out.

I think that's something Joel needs to iron out. Even though Mike Nelson didn't take over as host until a while later, he was involved with the show in the background (and as various random sketch characters) for a long time and IIRC hosted for longer than Joel.

They've got new guys doing crow and tom servo, and they're not bad, but Felicia Day was great in the new video as the evil scientist.

Hey guys, I never saw that show growing up. It just wasn't aired in Canada, or at least my part of Canada.

I tried watching the first episode and it literally put me to sleep it was so boring (one joke every couple of minutes, utterly unwatchably boring old movie). Give me some great episodes to see so I can understand this nerd cultural phenomenon I was not privy to.

Hey guys, I never saw that show growing up. It just wasn't aired in Canada, or at least my part of Canada.

I tried watching the first episode and it literally put me to sleep it was so boring (one joke every couple of minutes, utterly unwatchably boring old movie). Give me some great episodes to see so I can understand this nerd cultural phenomenon I was not privy to.
My favorite episode:

Pod People
Final Sacrifice
Parts: The Clonus Horror
Any of the Gamera films
Fugitive Alien 1 & 2
The Unearthly
The Giant Gila Monster
Attack of the Giant Leeches
The Killer Shrews
Jack Frost
Santa Claus
The Creeping Terror
Samson vs. The Vampire Women
Prince of Space
Space Mutiny
Werewolf

Don't watch any of season 1 until you've watched at least half of the above.

FWIW there were episodes prior to season 1. They haven't been released because the staff & Co. all agree that they are bad, horrible, and embarrassing.

--Patrick

Warrior of the Lost World
Cave Dwellers
Mitchell (this episode is the transition from Joel to Mike)

Also the movie (Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie), which uses This Island Earth.

fade

Staff member

To put it bluntly, the first season is pretty bad. I may be wrong, but I think this is when they were still doing it on the fly. It's scripted later.

In any case, I've always watched it with the same pattern as the jokes. I pay attention at the beginning and the end and sort of have it on as background in the middle. The jokes are usually rapidfire at the beginning, then slow, then fast again at the end.

Good news: even if it wasn't in your donation branch, you can still buy the full DVD or Blu-Ray set of the new season as an add-on.

So that'll be cool to get in about a year. :p

To put it bluntly, the first season is pretty bad. I may be wrong, but I think this is when they were still doing it on the fly. It's scripted later.
Correct. I wish they had redone some of those public access season movies, like Robot Monster or The Crawling Hand. Those deserved a scripted riffing.

Anyway, for Frank, some of my favorite episodes are:

Laserblast
Pod People
Puma Man (last year's Turkey Day had excellent choices)
Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders
Gamera vs Guiron

I hate to say this, but some of the episodes where they do a black and white movie are tough sits. The movies are harder to hear, and what was considered amateur in those days was much worse than what was amateur even 20 years later, which meant that even in scripted episodes, the gang just didn't have a lot to work with. They managed to pull through on that with Manos, but some movies like Teenagers from Outer Space are so dull. I learned with Rifftrax watching Twilight: New Moon that there's only so much a riff can do to make an unwatchable film watchable.

I learned with Rifftrax watching Twilight: New Moon that there's only so much a riff can do to make an unwatchable film watchable.
The Beatniks. That movie is excrutiatingly painful to watch. Every character is unlikable and stupid and grates on my nerves (especially the crazy Beatnik dude, the most annoying character ever), and the riffs just can't overcome that. I'd rather watch Manos without the riffs.

RiffTrax is hosting a MST3K reunion with Joel Hodgson, Trace Beaulieu, Frank Conniff, Mary Jo Pehl, Bridget Nelson, and Jonah Ray (the host of the new MST3K show)