Export thread

Anyone else sick of the royal wedding?

Mathias

Mathias

Personally, I can't wait till I can watch the news without hearing about the worlds biggest welfare family, and when or where their son takes a shit.

Jay

Jay

Normally I'm with you but Kate Middleton is such a hot little brunette....

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Seriously, I just want to watch my Lifetime pick-a-flick movie, without being reminded of those English celebrities.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sounds like someone's invitation never arrived. ;)

Wasabi Poptart

Or a case of "Always a bridesmaid, never the bride".

BErt

it's on my birthday. i hate it.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Haven't heard shit about it since I left the States.

<- Doesn't have a TV and can't read Czech tabloids.

Jiarn

Utter tripe and yet another very obvious comment on the sad state of the world's priorities. I'm completely with you on this Mathias.

Dave

Dave

My wife is DVR-ing it. :(

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm DVR'ing it!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The only thing more pointless than celebrity gossip is royal gossip. Who the hell gives a fuck about their wedding?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The only thing more pointless than celebrity gossip is royal gossip. Who the hell gives a fuck about their wedding?
I think they are predicting 2 billion people to watch the wedding. That's kind of staggering, no pressure on the bride though :mad:

fade

fade

What are you talking about? Sound like a chick flick. I'll probably skip it.
Not to derail... No.. Strike that. I love to derail. Everyone's post plays in my head in a specific, subconsciously assigned voice. When you dropped the 's' on the verb, yours automatically switched to Chibibar.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Yes I am sick of hearing about it, but I am a history buff. I'll watch it out of obligation to all those other stiff upper lip bastards that I've spent a large part of my life reading about.

So Saturday morning I'll crack a few beers and watch all the cavalry regiments riding about and fast forward all celebrity gossip.

linglingface

linglingface

I haven't watched anything on it because I just don't care. But other people keep telling me this is how much attention Diana's wedding got, so they're just wanting to do the same now... Oh well, still won't be watching.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think Diana's got a little more attention, since she was marrying the actual Prince of Wales.

Jay

Jay

Kate Middleton is so hot though.

http://katemiddletonforthewin.tumblr.com/

Espy

Espy

Yeah I do not get America's fascination with these people.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Didn't we fight a war so we wouldn't have to give a fuck about these people?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Eh, at least you guys didn't have to go through the pre-marital gossip of Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling. My now-ex was goddamn fanatical about the whole thing.
Still, I don't get all the hate about the British royal family. Or the Swedish, for that matter. They're figureheads, and in the end they do just about the same thing as a President would; sit around looking handsome and making statements while essentially having diddly-squat to do with day-to-day politics. At least this way they get to air those nifty crowns and scepters and whatnot every once in a while...
I do, however, concur with the earlier mention: Kate Middleton is indeed one hot CILF (consort I'd like to f...).

Covar

Covar

Nope, because the only thing I watch pretty much everything once it's on my DVR, I've only ever heard about it when I don't skip commercials fast enough.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I also don't see what the big deal is; with the wedding OR the Royal Family in general. I mean, as far as I know, they don't hold any sort of power anymore, correct?

Covar

Covar

Don't ask me, I'm American.

Made Ya Blush

Made Ya Blush

I don't get what the big deal is... They are essentially just figure heads.

Espy

Espy

I don't hate them NR, I just don't give a damn. They mean nothing to me or my life and as far as can tell they don't really mean or do much of anything for anybody else.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Eh, at least you guys didn't have to go through the pre-marital gossip of Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling. My now-ex was goddamn fanatical about the whole thing.
Still, I don't get all the hate about the British royal family. Or the Swedish, for that matter. They're figureheads, and in the end they do just about the same thing as a President would; sit around looking handsome and making statements while essentially having diddly-squat to do with day-to-day politics. At least this way they get to air those nifty crowns and scepters and whatnot every once in a while...
I do, however, concur with the earlier mention: Kate Middleton is indeed one hot CILF (consort I'd like to f...).
But a President is elected to an office, and does have an impact on day-to-day politics. We choose him or her to carry out a service for us, with the acknowledgement that we will pay them for this. The royal family is born, and then they get paid to exist. What the f...

As for the coverage, it seems ridiculous up here and I've been avoiding it. I don't care, and if anything, despite my distaste for the monarchy, I feel bad for the two of them. Just let them have a fuckin' wedding. Enjoy their day. It doesn't need to be televised, it doesn't need to be a goddamn spectacle, if only for their sakes, let alone how annoying the coverage is.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If they weren't covering this, they would be covering even more aspects of Dancing With the Stars.......

Covar

Covar

Dude, don't mess with Dancing with the Stars, the women in my family love that shit.

It's sports for women who don't like sports.

linglingface

linglingface

So who else sees a Royal Wedding book ad up top? ^^ hehe

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

\/ \/ is an ad for "A Modern Fairy Tale" Video Book. from ABC

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

A 70 per cent discount in Turku spas... and the Norwegian Joke of the Week for me.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

The fact that "THE wedding" is able to arouse such interest in (Mainly.) the USA I find surprising. Just think what it's like over here! Naturally it female led. They seem suckers for such rubbish. Personally, as a republican I consider the "Royal" family as bunch of freeloaders and look forward to an elected President.

Jay and NR. If you think that Kate Middleton is "Hot" I hate to think what the women in Canada and Finland are like!! :rolleyes:

Cajungal

Cajungal

I haven't been exposed to much of it, so I can't really be tired of it. I'm just not interested. I did see an advert for imitations of Kate's jewelry or something silly like that. Mom watched the bio about them on TV.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I rather enjoy the plans that they've laid out, to be honest. My British side talking, I suppose. I do think it's been rather over-emphasized, however...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Grype whats the matter with Kate? Is her teeth too straight or something?

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

OK if you like splitpins I suppose.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Jay and NR. If you think that Kate Middleton is "Hot" I hate to think what the women in Canada and Finland are like!! :rolleyes:
Canada has hot women. We can produce so much better than Kate Middleton, I promise you.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

I believe you, and less anorexic too, I should think.

Wasabi Poptart

I'm not sick of the wedding, but the coverage of every minor detail is a bit much. "Kate looked lovely as she strolled to the loo. She was wearing a Hoidy-Toidy designed dress which is expected to be seen in knock-offs on Wal-Mart racks across the US. The piece of toilet paper stuck to her shoe as she exited just shows how down-to-earth she really is."

I think the wedding itself is kind of neat. For me it's nostalgic because I did watch Charles and Diana get married on tv and I remember when both boys were born.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You know, Grytpipe, not all of us like women who resemble blow-up dolls. I think Kate had that nice "girl next door" look going on a while ago. I don't know what's the situation now, I haven't been following the whole wedding shebang with any special interest.

Chibibar

Shuttle Launch on April 29th so I don't care :)

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

My original comment was tongue in cheek NR, but I do actually prefer curves to straight lines!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I know. Sorry, I forgot to add the :p

Frank

Frankie Williamson

OK if you like splitpins I suppose.

She has a more athletic body than anorexic. Which for sure isn't everyone's type.

I dig it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I hadn't even heard of this before this topic.

Now I'm leaving the topic and get to stop hearing about it wheeeeeee

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

lol at the casual misogyny

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I think you're too much a commoner to white knight for her.

Espy

Espy

I'm not sure you are using that word correctly.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/misogyny
mi·sog·y·ny

[mi-soj-uh-nee, mahy-]
–noun
hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.

Jiarn

I think you're too much a commoner to white knight for her.
-laugh-

Too freakin hilarious.

Espy

Espy

Oh but Espy, haven't you heard? Objectifying women is the new hate crime.
See I get confused about that. And the English language.

Krisken

Krisken

I had no idea I was missing so much in this thread.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Naturally it female led. They seem suckers for such rubbish. :
/

Espy

Espy

Ah, missed that.

Now I'm not saying your "/" doesn't sum up your argument, it's clearly a polished declaration but just stick with me here:
If his experience is that it's the women around him who go in for such "rubbish", why is his generalization automatically misogynistic rather than merely an experiential generalization with no hate or fear of women attached to it?

phil

phil

I'm DVR'ing it!

HCGLNS is Dave's wife?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I believe that our esteemed colleague is referring to our casual approval (or disapproval, as the case may be) of the young Ms. Middleton's figure. He has expressed a level of sarcastic amusement that is both profoundly cutting in it's asperity and stark in its level of harshness; so much so, in fact, that I feel like less than a human being for being amused by the jocularity being passed around so casually in this thread.

That'll show me.

Jay

Jay

drifter

drifter

Stienman, are you kidding me? For example: let's say instead of the royal wedding someone was complaining about being blitzed by a fast-food chicken commercial, and someone else said: "well, it's led by blacks; you know how they love fried chicken," would you not say that's racist? I would.

As to Espy's point: well, given the broad (derp) brush G-T was painting with, I don't think it's unfair on Charlie's part to read it as broadly as possible as opposed to regarding it anecdotally. It wasn't "all the females I know go for that rubbish," it was "They(females) go for that rubbish."

Jiarn

Yeah but we all know how he blows up at any mention of gay bashing or women's rights being "violated". So it's expected to react thusly to his reactions on said subjects.

Krisken

Krisken

::Insert tasteless joke about how I like fried chicken and that must mean I'm part black and not know it::

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

figmentPez

figmentPez

Stienman, are you kidding me? For example: let's say instead of the royal wedding someone was complaining about being blitzed by a fast-food chicken commercial, and someone else said: "well, it's led by blacks; you know how they love fried chicken," would you not say that's racist? I would.
Am I doing the same thing when I roll my eyes at the amount of fast food places advertising their fish sandwiches and shrimp meals the last couple months? You know that it's all aimed at Catholics and their celebration of Lent. That's the whole reason that McDonalds has a McFish at all, rubbish sandwich that it is. An abomination on a bun, just so they'll still have something to sell to Catholics on Fridays during Lent. I didn't realize that it was so prejudiced to talk about that.

drifter

drifter

No, you're not. You're rolling your eyes at the product, and the marketing around said product, not the consumers (unless you're actually saying all Catholics love that shit?).

Wasabi Poptart

I'm so confused.

Jiarn

I'm so confused.
Yet it's so fun to watch.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I still don't get that one... who the hell doesn't love fried chicken?!

Krisken

Krisken

Four fried chickens. And a coke.

Baerdog

Baerdog

No, you're not. You're rolling your eyes at the product, and the marketing around said product, not the consumers (unless you're actually saying all Catholics love that shit?).
Catholics fucking love that shit.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Chicken? I thought they were more about dry wafers.

Jiarn

Four fried chickens. And a coke.
Just some dry white toast for me.....

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You want chicken wings or chicken legs?

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

yes.

Covar

Covar

wow this thread went strange, fast.

but it's led by halforumers and they love that shit.

drifter

drifter

So, a quick thread recap as expressed via Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

Jiarn

Bravely Bold Sir Drifter, rode forth from Halforums. He was not afraid to die, Oh Brave Sir Drifter!

Espy

Espy

As to Espy's point: well, given the broad (derp) brush G-T was painting with, I don't think it's unfair on Charlie's part to read it as broadly as possible as opposed to regarding it anecdotally. It wasn't "all the females I know go for that rubbish," it was "They(females) go for that rubbish."
I can't say if it's fair or not, but it seems to be a very strange logical conclusion to arrive at leaving me to think what we might actually be having here is issues with the English Language.

He called that comment "misogynistic". "Misogynistic".

So, according to the definition of the word that comment was characterized by GT's HATRED of women. I don't see how any person couldn't see that as both a huge reach and, without any hateful language or context being used by GT, an almost impossible conclusion to arrive at (unless of course Charlie knows something about GT we don't, in which case he's reading in his knowledge of GT into the statement, but somehow I'm guessing Charlie and GT don't hang out every weekend).

Now I would argue that the comment in question is actually, since we can't in any way prove it's misogynistic nor does it contain any actual language to imply misogyny, "sexist". Sexism is "attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles." which clearly the comment does. But as far as I can tell, "sexism" does not and can not automatically equal misogynistic.
Make sense?

drifter

drifter

Yeah, I admit I tend to conflate the two terms. You win this round, El Bebito Fumador! *shakes fist*

Espy

Espy

Muuuua-hahhahahahahahahahahahaha!

Wasabi Poptart

So, am I a misogynist if I agree that women do in fact eat this shit up? I mean, I don't think a whole lot of men care about weddings, including their own except to nod their heads, smile at "Bridezilla", and go to cake tastings because, hey, free cake.

Espy

Espy

So, am I a misogynist if I agree that women do in fact eat this shit up? I mean, I don't think a whole lot of men care about weddings, including their own except to nod their heads, smile at "Bridezilla", and go to cake tastings because, hey, free cake.
Depends on what kind of grasp of the english language whoever you ask has WP

MindDetective

MindDetective

Pfft, you can't grasp language, man. It's language.

Espy

Espy

Pfft, you can't grasp language, man. It's language.
Oh you!

Jay

Jay

::Insert tasteless joke about how I like fried chicken and that must mean I'm part black and not know it::

Disconnected

another great thread. thumbs up everyone!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I've been kinda put off by chicken wings and such since I visited the Psycho Bitch Queen's place when we were still dating. She had a half-eaten barbecued chicken on her living room table - about a month old. I swear, that thing was trying to get back on its feet and escape...
I loves me some chicken in other forms, though. Tomorrow, in fact, I intend to make chicken risotto ^^

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

I love this Forum. Where else could you go from wedding to chicken by way of Monty Python? And some of it down to me! I'm so proud!!

FW. She has lost weight since those photos.

Charon. I'm not sure if that was a Pro or Con, but as one who has followed your career from Marine moonlighting as Mall security, through marriage, fatherhood, and into the Constabulary, I will give you the benefit of the doubt!:)

Mysogynist? Me, who thought of becoming a suicide bomber for the fist full of Virgins? I must admit though that it is not a job that I was dying for.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I still don't get that one... who the hell doesn't love fried chicken?!
I don't. Give me something off the grill any day.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'll just leave this here:

Mathias

Mathias

Dave

Dave

You know, I totally stayed out of this thread as I don't give a shit about the royal wedding. In fact, I came in to talk about the fact that an historical outbreak of tornadoes swept through the South yesterday, killing over 150 people and razing entire towns. CNN this morning? The wedding was the top story.

Jiarn

You act shocked Dave. I figured you would have said "Par for course humanity....."

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I'm glad they provided the birth certificate so we can get back to the real news of the Royal Wedding at least

Dave

Dave

I'm glad they provided the birth certificate so we can get back to the real news of the Royal Wedding at least
No, Trump and the birth certificate was MSNBC. FOX had about the ambush on the soldiers in Afghanistan.

None of them had the storm but I still declare FOX the winner.

Krisken

Krisken

Chicken? I thought they were more about dry wafers.
Is that a new stereotype!?!?

Espy

Espy

So... you cool with all the misogyny in the thread now?

Covar

Covar

You know, I totally stayed out of this thread as I don't give a shit about the royal wedding. In fact, I came in to talk about the fact that an historical outbreak of tornadoes swept through the South yesterday, killing over 150 people and razing entire towns. CNN this morning? The wedding was the top story.
We've had tornadoes down here!?! :aaah:

Wasabi Poptart

Really? When I checked CNN this morning, and granted it was probably many hours after you were on there, the top story was about the devastation in the South due to the tornadoes and the 100 year flood. It had a highlighted yellow box since it was a developing story.

Covar

Covar

I have to admit, I will be watching BBC America this weekend.

Doctor Who is on Saturday.

Mathias

Mathias

So... you cool with all the misogyny in the thread now?

But if Charlie doesn't fight for the rights of those poor, helpless women, who will?

Krisken

Krisken

But if Charlie doesn't fight for the rights of those poor, helpless women, who will?
I would, but I generally feel that those women can take care of themselves. :D

phil

phil

Had a special order for 2 dozen Royal Wedding donuts.

ROYAL WEDDING DONUTS

Royal....wedding....donuts.

Heart shaped donut (because I guess we had some left over from Valentine's day) with Raspberry filling (so it bleeds?) with white frosting ('cause you know....white folk I guess) and chocolate drizzle (because fuck it, that's why)

And I haven't even seen these things advertised! Someone called in and assumed we would have one. We didn't have an Easter donut or a St. Patty's day donut (not an official one at least) but we sure as hell have one for this!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Had a special order for 2 dozen Royal Wedding donuts.

ROYAL WEDDING DONUTS

Royal....wedding....donuts.

via FoodBeast

Krisken

Krisken

Damn it, Phil, you disappoint me. I want my heart shaped jelly donut.

phil

phil

oh fuck.

a thing on the internet says that donuts cost 89 cents but they cost 94 cents!

this is going to be hell.

Zappit

Zappit

You know it won't end after the wedding. Then it becomes the baby watch, and the cycle starts again. :eek:

Krisken

Krisken

You know it won't end after the wedding. Then it becomes the baby watch, and the cycle starts again. :eek:
I predict that donut will be hideous.

Jiarn

Don't forget the gays. They can't defend themselves either. Helpless.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I predict that donut will be hideous.
It'll contain real placenta.

drifter

drifter

Nothing like a cold placenta sandwich.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

It's all over now. Normality is restored. (well almost!)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

We have normality. Repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Jiarn

Anyonelse think they looked absolutely miserable during the vows? (GF was watching that 10mins for the dress)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Anyonelse think they looked absolutely miserable during the vows? (GF was watching that 10mins for the dress)
Sure, girlfriend was the one watching, right.

It's a traditional, overly somber wedding. People need to treat these things more like a celebration of unity and less like they're going to church.

Jiarn

Yeah, literally was the 10mins of vows (she watched it on MSN this morning). Oh and I'm totally hiding that I wanted to watch it to protect my male online ego

I agree with the fact that it was overly somber, but why? I mean even if everything was chosen for them (which it likely was) they could have at least been happy at the part where they were becoming man and wife.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

She'll likely have to gain 20 lbs. before she will be fertile again.

Espy

Espy

Every time I turn on motherfreaking NPR today it's about these two taxpayer funded dipshits.
On NPR.

I'm ready to defund them now. :p

But seriously if they don't get my science friday on soon I'm gonna murder someone.

Null

Null

Every time I turn on motherfreaking NPR today it's about these two taxpayer funded dipshits.
On NPR.

But seriously if they don't get my science friday on soon I'm gonna murder someone.
At least technically it's only UK and perhaps Commonwealth subjects who are the taxpayers in question. And given their rate of cutbacks, that flyover is pretty much their entire active air force.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It has gotten too much coverage, but I'm still happy to see it done. It is a "good news" news story.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

On NPR.

Mathias

Mathias

Don't forget the gays. They can't defend themselves either. Helpless.

Is Charlie a crusader for the transgendered as well?

Dave

Dave

Troll Wife: 1, Dave: 0.

Wasabi Poptart

She'll likely have to gain 20 lbs. before she will be fertile again.
Last week I saw a celebrity magazine claiming she is already pregnant.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Friendly reminder: William's day job is search and rescue helo pilot for the British Army. What's yours?

(full disclosure: 7 years USN here.)

Tress

Tress

Friendly reminder: William's day job is search and rescue helo pilot for the British Army. What's yours?

(full disclosure: 7 years USN here.)
And that's relevant... how?

Krisken

Krisken

:hide:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And that's relevant... how?
The tax-funded thing implies he doesn't have a real job.

Tress

Tress

The tax-funded thing implies he doesn't have a real job.
I gotcha. I took Espy's complaint to be more about the fact that the taxpayers fund every extravagance for the royal family, including the ridiculously expensive wedding, and less about William's personal contributions to society.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I gotcha. I took Espy's complaint to be more about the fact that the taxpayers fund every extravagance for the royal family, including the ridiculously expensive wedding, and less about William's personal contributions to society.
Ya notice none of the "taxpayers" complaining about such live anywhere near the UK? :rolleyes:

blotsfan

blotsfan

All totally worth it.

Jiarn

Needs to be shopped. She's too low... oh wait, I get it. Very clever.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

Duckaudit. He is (Technically!) in the RAF, but I would like to see any other officer doing what amounts to a spare time job for him. Also as a citizen of the UK I complain like hell about the tax!!

14 years in Royal Air Force.

Null

Null

If he's in the RAF, why was he wearing an Irish Guards Uniform?

Nevermind, found it out myself - he's the Colonel of the Regiment (an honorary position) as the Duke of Cambridge.