[Comics] Amazing Spider-Man comic ends, Marvel drinks SM fan tears. [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with issue 700, ASM ends and Superior Spider-Man begins.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS ETC.

Holy shit Marvel, WHY DO YOU HATE PETER PARKER SO MUCH. Doc Ock swaps their minds, and not only does Pete fail to swap them back because Ock has him completely out-smarted, but Pete fucking dies in a rotting shell of a body belonging to his biggest villain. The most relatable of all Marvel heroes, who finally had things working in his favor after some great storytelling in the last couple dozen issues, is now dead in Ock's battered, withered husk.

Just as Ock's body is about to die, Peter forces Ock to relive Pete's struggles in a series of flashbacks, showing Ock that there's a reason to be a hero and asking him to do the right thing. Ock agrees to this, and decides to live on and prove Spider-Man is a true hero, not deserving the revulsion he's always endured. He will be the Superior Spider-Man.

There's a chance this could be a great story, but Goddamn it's hard to accept them killing Peter like this. It's just so...shitty.

END SPOILERS

If you're interested in reading this, you can pretty much start at ASM 697, I think.

....whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Seriously? This is...just too weird. This is some British invasion style weirdness. It may be a good story I'll admit I'm interested but...damn. Its just weird.

My first thought is "what the actual fuck"

Peter Parker is dead but for realz this time and....doc oc is Spiderman now? And he is going.with this because Pete made.him feel not.hatred for.once? That's how at least two trades of the authority ended along with all star Superman. Shits been done.

2nd Thought: fuck it. All major super hero story lines should just be one shots and what ifs and else world stuff anyway.

Ex use the mistakes and excessive periods. I'm on my phone and drunk.

No, Phil. In reality, you are the only one seeing this with utmost clarity, as you were the only one wise enough to buffer yourself against the news.

octopusoctopusoctopusdoctopusoctopusoctopusoctopus

--Patrick

I honestly haven't followed Spider-Man closely since the Clone Saga.
Same here, but I'd heard from ASM 650 or so onwards things were pretty great, and honestly I agree. Dan Slott did some solid writing in the major arcs leading up to this, and truthfully I think there's potential for some great stuff with Superior. I think it's the terrible, shitty sendoff Pete gets that bothered me. The guy's suffered so much and this is how he's sent off. Sure it's comics so there's always a chance he gets Captain America'd back to life, but still.

Gonna spoiler these pages for size, but here we have Pete forcing Ock to see Pete's memories:
And this is the death of Peter Parker:

Well, when you are telling the same stories for 60+ years or whatever you get bored. I understand wanting to do something weird and different.

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh, it gets worse. Doc Ock as Spidey may be having a relationship with Mary Jane, while she doesn't know the switch has happened... I really hope that's not true.

I'm sorry but thats awesome. It's almost as awesome as Superman banging chicks then mind-wiping them so they think they had a virgin birth.

Oh, it gets worse. Doc Ock as Spidey may be having a relationship with Mary Jane, while she doesn't know the switch has happened... I really hope that's not true.
It may be true, but really, Peter wasn't going to pursue MJ even though he wanted to. This Spiderman Octavious is more of a mixture between Peter Parker and Otto Octavius (since he has all his memories and everything) than only Doctor Octopus. Like Peter had gained some background and become bolder and whatnot. It may not be so bad.

I remember this Cracked show talked about this rejected James Cameron Spider-man movie where Doc Ock thought HE was Spider-man. You know a comic book is bad when its plot sounds like a rejected James Cameron movie.

At least that was meant to be temporary and blatantly fun. The former was honestly meant to revitalize the character.

Also, it's FRANKENCASTLE!

Zappit

Staff member
Is he still in the Future Foundation? Watch it be Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm that figures it all out. Reed will just be thrilled Peter seems even smarter.

I really have enjoyed Dan Slott's run. Truly.

But why does peter parkers existence have to be so terrible, all the time? Someone write this guy having his life in order already.

Zappit

Staff member
Getting his life ground to paste is part of Peter's appeal. He's the comic character readers identify with the most, so when the shit hits the fan, the readers feel it, too, and hooks them hard.

Did people go apeshit when DC reset their universe, essentially retconning their entire continuity the way they did when One More Day hit? That's what it is. We don't identify with the majority of comic book characters, but Peter Parker resonates because he is an average guy doing good, with problems that don't always involve the villain.

That's why he's destined to be comics' whipping boy. We feel the lashes with him, and keep reading because we can't wait to see him overcome his latest tragedy.

In today's issue, Peter goes to class (is he still in school? I don't know), gets an A, makes new friends, gets a raise at his job, and then goes home to a loving, supportive girlfriend/wife/whatever she is nowadays. And nothing bad happens.

The end.

Zappit

Staff member
In today's issue, Peter goes to class (is he still in school? I don't know), gets an A, makes new friends, gets a raise at his job, and then goes home to a loving, supportive girlfriend/wife/whatever she is nowadays. And nothing bad happens.

The end.
You forgot that the Sandman quietly surrenders to the police.

figmentPez

Staff member
Did people go apeshit when DC reset their universe, essentially retconning their entire continuity the way they did when One More Day hit?
Yes, they did. They were pissed that Starfire got turned into an emotionless sex doll, Barbara Gordon was no longer Oracle, and a dozen other bits of outrage over the deletion of defining moments in character's histories.

Bad shit is allowed to happen to characters, but that stuff has to be earned, not just pulled out of nowhere because the writer feels bored and wants to "shake things up".

And when things then get subsequently retconned for the sake of status quo, they feel even less earned than before.

One of the reasons why I hated Brand New Day, despite Slott doing a decent job writing it, is because One More Day felt like such a giant cop-out instead of having Peter deal with the actual death of Aunt May, Osborne taking over the country while searching for him, or the evolution of his relationship with MJ.

Now this? Maybe I'm doing Slott a disservice, but this feels like yet another false reboot. Not only does it seem monumentally silly that Doc Ock would all of sudden have the perfect plan to destroy Peter and then feel bad and decide to be the bestest Spidey evers, I have pretty much zero confidence that Slott and the Marvel execs have the guts to truly run with it and make it a quality story instead of running it into the ground to prep for the retcon.

Yes, they did. They were pissed that Starfire got turned into an emotionless sex doll, Barbara Gordon was no longer Oracle, and a dozen other bits of outrage over the deletion of defining moments in character's histories.
When I heard Barbara Gordon wasn't Oracle any more, I was afraid as FUCK that it meant they were retconning "The Killing Joke". Glad DC wasn't THAT stupid.

One of the reasons why I hated Brand New Day, despite Slott doing a decent job writing it, is because One More Day felt like such a giant cop-out instead of having Peter deal with the actual death of Aunt May, Osborne taking over the country while searching for him, or the evolution of his relationship with MJ.
Yeah that bugged the shit out of me. He also even talked with Aunt May's spirit and she said she was cool with being dead! So this a completely selfish act from who is supposed to be one of the most selfless characters in all of comics.

All we can do is wait and see if this NEW retcon will itself be retconned. Because its...just a weird idea.

Yeah that bugged the shit out of me. He also even talked with Aunt May's spirit and she said she was cool with being dead! So this a completely selfish act from who is supposed to be one of the most selfless characters in all of comics.
Wasn't it MJ that made the deal?

I really have enjoyed Dan Slott's run. Truly.

But why does peter parkers existence have to be so terrible, all the time? Someone write this guy having his life in order already.
Yeah. I mean, I don't expect it to be sunshine/rainbows/unicorn farts all the time, but the guy gets shit on all the time, and now he's dead. It's sad that Marvel's most iconic character is basically swept out in an old carcass while his egotistical arch-enemy gets the Flawless Victory.

Also I don't think he's in FF anymore now that Johnny's alive again. Spidey only got the spot because Johnny left a video will of sorts saying he wanted Spidey to take his spot should the worst happen.

Wasn't it MJ that made the deal?
Not quite. She convinced him to make the deal, and she struck a separate deal with Mephisto to allow him to be happy. Aside from not making a whole lot of sense in comparison to the first deal, I also really didn't like how it neatly took at least part of the responsibility away from Peter for making the deal. His finest moments have always been him overcoming his doubts and obstacles by making a choice and living with the consequences. This time, Peter basically wussed his way into a retcon because his wife confused him by editorial fiat.

At least Bendis gave his version of Spidey a grand send-off and worked hard to make the universe keep moving, even if Earth-1610's quality is a bit uneven.

Status
Not open for further replies.