[Comics] Amazing Spider-Man comic ends, Marvel drinks SM fan tears. [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize that the Scarlet Spider is back... and he's freakin' Kain...blech.

Honestly, Ben Reilly had such promise, other than the jazzercise costume. I wish they would have kept who was the real Spider-Man ambiguous and ran parallel books. They could have had a perfect person to live the single struggling life that they did One More Day for without sacrificing everything Spider-Man stands for and make a deal with the devil. Just make Ben the one who's single and struggling. But NO, they just had to kill him off and bring back Norman Osborne. Though, I did like him as the Iron Patriot and the subsequent Siege storyline, so some good did come of it.
Back in the 90s I would've loved to be reading a Scarlet Spider book as opposed to the mess we got with the Clone Saga and recent shenanigans.

BananaHands

Staff member
The Ock-MJ rape accusations are all over 4chan's /co/ board already, as Ock started working on getting her pretty much immediately after taking the body over.

I like Flash Venom, everything I've read has been pretty good so far.
I kind of found it funny how he came to wanting to pursue M.J., on how he logically saw that Peter and Mary Jane should be together. The stupidity of One More Day wouldn't apply to a mind like Ock.

Zappit

Staff member
I kind of found it funny how he came to wanting to pursue M.J., on how he logically saw that Peter and Mary Jane should be together. The stupidity of One More Day wouldn't apply to a mind like Ock.
That would be one hell of a mess for Peter when they bring him back. He gets his body back (He will. It's like a coin-behind-the-ear trick for Dr. Strange.) and he's in a relationship.

And that's when we see Mephisto's real dick move from One More Day - he resurrected Gwen Stacy, too.

What's really messed up about Doctor Octopus being in Spider-Man's body is that he used to date Aunt May, which means he finds her attractive. So, basically, Spider-Man could very conceivably be having dirty thoughts about her.

What's really messed up about Doctor Octopus being in Spider-Man's body is that he used to date Aunt May, which means he finds her attractive. So, basically, Spider-Man could very conceivably be having dirty thoughts about her.
And my feelings for this story have gone from on the fence to fallen off the fence and having snapped my neck killing me while dogs eat my corpse. UGH!

There's a mention of it in I think 699. Pete sees Ock's memories of Aunt May and has a bit of an OH GOD WHY fit.

BananaHands

Staff member
I was bored so I picked up the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, after y'know,
Peter dies
, and so far I actually kind of like it.

I was bored so I picked up the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, after y'know,
Peter dies
, and so far I actually kind of like it.
What I've read of this is actually pretty good, and Miles is an interesting character. His new powerset is fun, too. The thing with Ultimate Spider-Man, though is

It's a powerful send-off and I thought it was fitting.
[DOUBLEPOST=1356376025][/DOUBLEPOST]
:rolleyes:

Good guys and bad guys swapping bodies has been a mainstay of comic books since forever.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrandTheftMe
But how many of those swaps ended with the hero dying in a broken, dying husk of a body while the villain pulls off a perfect victory? Beyond that, it's not the mindswap itself that bothers me, it's the way Peter is killed. Sure, it's comics and odds are he'll be back eventually, but in the meantime it was a shitty way to send off a great, relateable chracter, possibly one of the only truly relateable characters in the big two's stable.[DOUBLEPOST=1356376102][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, that eyeroll emoticon being used in an argument makes you look like a smug douche. Why do people use that?

So, basically, comics are terrible because it's the same old stories over and over, unless they do something different, because then it's terrible for not being the same.

What I've read of this is actually pretty good, and Miles is an interesting character. His new powerset is fun, too. The thing with Ultimate Spider-Man, though is

[DOUBLEPOST=1356376025][/DOUBLEPOST]

But how many of those swaps ended with the hero dying in a broken, dying husk of a body while the villain pulls off a perfect victory? Beyond that, it's not the mindswap itself that bothers me, it's the way Peter is killed. Sure, it's comics and odds are he'll be back eventually, but in the meantime it was a shitty way to send off a great, relateable chracter, possibly one of the only truly relateable characters in the big two's stable.[DOUBLEPOST=1356376102][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, that eyeroll emoticon being used in an argument makes you look like a smug douche. Why do people use that?
1. That's part of the frigging trope! Like I said earlier, spoiler alert: he gets better.
2. I am a smug douche!

1. That's part of the frigging trope! Like I said earlier, spoiler alert: he gets better.
2. I am a smug douche!
But none of the comic book uses of the trope included killing off the hero, even if it was listed as part of the trope (listed as attempting to kill, not succeeding). Not that I saw, anyway. Also, just because it's been done before doesn't mean I found it was done well in this particular instance. Ultimate Spider-Man Peter Parker was a great, heroic death. This was not.

But none of the comic book uses of the trope included killing off the hero, even if it was listed as part of the trope (listed as attempting to kill, not succeeding). Not that I saw, anyway. Also, just because it's been done before doesn't mean I found it was done well in this particular instance. Ultimate Spider-Man Peter Parker was a great, heroic death. This was not.
Yeah I see your point. I couldn't believe they killed off

Adam Warlock
Alpha Flight
Angel
Ant-Man
Blink
Bucky
Cable
Captain America
Colossus
Cypher
Cyclops
Human Torch
Elektra
Harry Osborn
Havok
Hawkeye
Legion
Magik
Meggan
Mockingbird
Moon Knight
Mr Fantastic
Mystique
Nick Fury
Northstar
Phoenix
Psylocke
Rachel Summers
Sabretooth
Storm
Thor
Vision
Warlock
Wonder Man
X-Man

Edited for additional smugness: :rolleyes:

Par for the corse with a Marvel who sees nothing wrong with Peter making a Faustian deal with Satan.

BananaHands

Staff member

Yeah, I looked through that. I really think Miles is a great replacement and it takes the Spider-Man comic back to what it was supposed to be.

Also, that whole thing with the Prowler was pretty powerful and I thought a great way for him to learn the 'great power/responsibility schtick'

I might need to pick up Ultimate Spider-Man's comic so I can figure out Spider-Woman's situation. Also, is Ultimatum worth reading?[DOUBLEPOST=1356384163][/DOUBLEPOST]Oooh, also did anyone read Spider-Men?

I might need to pick up Ultimate Spider-Man's comic so I can figure out Spider-Woman's situation. Also, is Ultimatum worth reading??
No. HELL no. It's worse than Ultimates 3. It's worse than One More Day. It's worse than the Clone Saga (the original). Let me say that again: IT'S WORSE THAN THE ORIGINAL CLONE SAGA.

I heard Spider-Men was pretty fun, though.

Yeah, I didn't read Ultimatum but from what I understand it's pretty bad. If you're going to read pre-reset Ultimate comics, I'd stick to Ultimates 1 and 2, and Ultimate Spider-Man. I think Fantastic Four was alright, but it's been awhile. Iron Man was fucking stupid, though, and he's been my favorite Marvel since I was a kid.

Even though I heard the two Ultimate Iron Man mini-series were supposed to be good, I refuse to read them on the basis that Orson Scott Card is a raging homophobe who has declared war on gays. No, seriously. Same reason why I won't read Ender's Game.

Even though I heard the two Ultimate Iron Man mini-series were supposed to be good, I refuse to read them on the basis that Orson Scott Card is a raging homophobe who has declared war on gays. No, seriously. Same reason why I won't read Ender's Game.
Tony Stark's body is like 99% brain tissue, that's why he's so smart. He has to wear this coating over his flesh to protect the sensitive brain matter from everything, including the air. Also, his IM suit looks like a Goddamn gorilla.

really? can you provide an example?

It's the same reasoning ThatNickGuy refuses to watch Roman Polansky films, on account of Polansky being a pedophile and rapist.

Oh wait, he doesn't avoid Polansky films. By his logic then he supports pedophilia and rape.

I mean if we're going to derail a thread because we've got an axe to grind, ThatNickGuy, then we might as well go full bore.

Why not borrow them from a library or something and judge them on their own merits? You wouldn't be supporting someone whose views you disagree with, and you'd still get a chance to experience quality stories!

Status
Not open for further replies.