aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Thread starter Steven Soderburgin
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun Size said:
AshburnerX said:
I would like to point out that Fred has NEVER made a successful plan. Ever. Yes, this is more to Scooby and Shaggy's bumbling than his skills, but you'd think he'd have figured out after the 3rd or 4th time that it happened that step one should always be "Send Shaggy and Scooby somewhere else" instead of letting them constantly smurf things up.
Oh he had a plan alright: Scooby, Shaggy and Velma go check out the downstairs while he and Daphne check out the bedroom. :hump:
The Johnny Bravo episode that makes fun of Scooby Doo is priceless for this exact moment.

Fred, I should go with Shaggy and Scooby!

But Daphneee...*motions suggestively towards something off-screen as a bass line starts up*

CynicismKills said:
Scoring a whopping 85% on rottentomatoes last I looked, I guess some folks in the UK got to watch it already.
That 85% is from people the studio has cherry-picked (harry knowles) to watch the movie that are very likely to give it a good review

Charlie Dont Surf said:
CynicismKills said:
Scoring a whopping 85% on rottentomatoes last I looked, I guess some folks in the UK got to watch it already.
That 85% is from people the studio has cherry-picked (harry knowles) to watch the movie that are very likely to give it a good review
So you're ok with critics seeing it early as long as they agree with what you already think?

Charlie Dont Surf said:
CynicismKills said:
Ahh, I see. Yeah, only two bad reviews last I looked, and even the good ones seem to start with "If I were 10 this would be awesome" or "Despite a bad story, wonky AGI and etcetc."

Krisken said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:
CynicismKills said:
So you're ok with critics seeing it early as long as they agree with what you already think?
Huh? I'm just stating how they saw it even though it's not being mass-screened for all reviewers. I don't think anything about the movie really yet. I would like all critics to get a crack at movies before they come out so they can have reviews in papers and such before Friday.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Krisken said:
[quote="Charlie Dont Surf":86d1gec5]
CynicismKills said:
Huh? I'm just stating how they saw it even though it's not being mass-screened for all reviewers. I don't think anything about the movie really yet. I would like all critics to get a crack at movies before they come out so they can have reviews in papers and such before Friday.[/quote:86d1gec5]
Ah, I see. I don't really agree with it, but I can respect it.

Kissinger said:
Krisken said:
Ah, I see. I don't really agree with it, but I can respect it.
Why don't you agree with it?
Because all of this centers on opening weekend numbers. I don't care how a movie does in one weekend, so I have no feeling that a critic should get some sort of special treatment and be allowed to see it early.

The movie industry would survive without critics. I understand you guys would like your favorite critics to see the movie first to get an idea on the movie, and that's fine. It wouldn't hurt you to wait a week to see it after your favorite critic has seen it and given their view.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Krisken said:
Because all of this centers on opening weekend numbers. I don't care how a movie does in one weekend, so I have no feeling that a critic should get some sort of special treatment and be allowed to see it early.

The movie industry would survive without critics. I understand you guys would like your favorite critics to see the movie first to get an idea on the movie, and that's fine. It wouldn't hurt you to wait a week to see it after your favorite critic has seen it and given their view.
You may not care about opening weekend numbers, but the studios sure do. Opening weekend is pretty much the best way to determine the success of the marketing campaign for a wide release. That, and lines like "#1 movie in America" are pretty powerful advertising statements. Critics and their reviews allow people to be just a bit more informed when they decide which movie to see. Without critics, moviegoers would have no line of defense between them and studio marketing. Audiences would lose without critics. That's one of the services critics provide. I guess I just don't get why you dislike the idea of critics so much.

Kissinger said:
Krisken said:

You may not care about opening weekend numbers, but the studios sure do. Opening weekend is pretty much the best way to determine the success of the marketing campaign for a wide release. That, and lines like "#1 movie in America" are pretty powerful advertising statements. Critics and their reviews allow people to be just a bit more informed when they decide which movie to see. Without critics, moviegoers would have no line of defense between them and studio marketing. Audiences would lose without critics. That's one of the services critics provide. I guess I just don't get why you dislike the idea of critics so much.
Obviously in this case, they studio doesn't care.

I don't dislike critics. I just don't care what they think.

J

JCM

Krisken said:
Kissinger said:
Krisken said:

Obviously in this case, they studio doesn't care.

I don't dislike critics. I just don't care what they think.
I dont dislike critics.

They add to the reviews base in metacritic and rottentomatoes, making it easy to know how bad something is.

Something I don't understand about critics is they make it seem like you need some kind of degree in movie psychology to have a right to decide on if a movie is good or not. If anything, the only thing they are good at (at least in some cases) is expressing their opinions. Many of them are failed script writers or directors who obviously believe they can spot the perfect movie forumla rather than come up with it on their own.

That being said, one of the first things I'll do when deciding on a movie is read reviews. This has nothing to do with believing that a critic has a better opinion of what makes a good movie than I do. Usually I read the reviews of only a few critics who I know have opinions close to my own. Movies.com for instance offers a critic that tends to enjoy the same type of movies that I do, and I've come to trust his opinion. I may still see a movie despite a negative review, but he's helpful on films that I have mixed feelings about.

Status
Not open for further replies.