[Movies] 88th Annual Academy Awards Nominations

Alright, folks, the nominations for the 88th annual Academy Awards have been announced!

Best motion picture of the year
“The Big Short” Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner and Jeremy Kleiner, Producers
“Bridge of Spies” Steven Spielberg, Marc Platt and Kristie Macosko Krieger, Producers
“Brooklyn” Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, Producers
“Mad Max: Fury Road” Doug Mitchell and George Miller, Producers
“The Martian” Simon Kinberg, Ridley Scott, Michael Schaefer and Mark Huffam, Producers
“The Revenant” Arnon Milchan, Steve Golin, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Mary Parent and Keith Redmon, Producers
“Room” Ed Guiney, Producer
“Spotlight” Michael Sugar, Steve Golin, Nicole Rocklin and Blye Pagon Faust, Producers

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Bryan Cranston in “Trumbo”
Matt Damon in “The Martian”
Leonardo DiCaprio in “The Revenant”
Michael Fassbender in “Steve Jobs”
Eddie Redmayne in “The Danish Girl”

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Christian Bale in “The Big Short”
Tom Hardy in “The Revenant”
Mark Ruffalo in “Spotlight”
Mark Rylance in “Bridge of Spies”
Sylvester Stallone in “Creed”

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Cate Blanchett in “Carol”
Brie Larson in “Room”
Jennifer Lawrence in “Joy”
Charlotte Rampling in “45 Years”
Saoirse Ronan in “Brooklyn”

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Jennifer Jason Leigh in “The Hateful Eight”
Rooney Mara in “Carol”
Rachel McAdams in “Spotlight”
Alicia Vikander in “The Danish Girl”
Kate Winslet in “Steve Jobs”

Best animated feature film of the year
“Anomalisa” Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson and Rosa Tran
“Boy and the World” Alê Abreu
“Inside Out” Pete Docter and Jonas Rivera
“Shaun the Sheep Movie” Mark Burton and Richard Starzak
“When Marnie Was There” Hiromasa Yonebayashi and Yoshiaki Nishimura

Achievement in cinematography
“Carol” Ed Lachman
“The Hateful Eight” Robert Richardson
“Mad Max: Fury Road” John Seale
“The Revenant” Emmanuel Lubezki
“Sicario” Roger Deakins

Achievement in costume design
“Carol” Sandy Powell
“Cinderella” Sandy Powell
“The Danish Girl” Paco Delgado
“Mad Max: Fury Road” Jenny Beavan
“The Revenant” Jacqueline West

Achievement in directing
“The Big Short” Adam McKay
“Mad Max: Fury Road” George Miller
“The Revenant” Alejandro G. Iñárritu
“Room” Lenny Abrahamson
“Spotlight” Tom McCarthy

Best documentary feature
“Amy” Asif Kapadia and James Gay-Rees
“Cartel Land” Matthew Heineman and Tom Yellin
“The Look of Silence” Joshua Oppenheimer and Signe Byrge Sørensen
“What Happened, Miss Simone?” Liz Garbus, Amy Hobby and Justin Wilkes
“Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom” Evgeny Afineevsky and Den Tolmor

Best documentary short subject
“Body Team 12” David Darg and Bryn Mooser
“Chau, beyond the Lines” Courtney Marsh and Jerry Franck
“Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah” Adam Benzine
“A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness” Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
“Last Day of Freedom” Dee Hibbert-Jones and Nomi Talisman

Achievement in film editing
“The Big Short” Hank Corwin
“Mad Max: Fury Road” Margaret Sixel
“The Revenant” Stephen Mirrione
“Spotlight” Tom McArdle
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” Maryann Brandon and Mary Jo Markey

Best foreign language film of the year
“Embrace of the Serpent” Colombia
“Mustang” France
“Son of Saul” Hungary
“Theeb” Jordan
“A War” Denmark

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling
“Mad Max: Fury Road” Lesley Vanderwalt, Elka Wardega and Damian Martin
“The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared” Love Larson and Eva von Bahr
“The Revenant” Siân Grigg, Duncan Jarman and Robert Pandini

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
“Bridge of Spies” Thomas Newman
“Carol” Carter Burwell
“The Hateful Eight” Ennio Morricone
“Sicario” Jóhann Jóhannsson
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” John Williams

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
“Earned It” from “Fifty Shades of Grey”
Music and Lyric by Abel Tesfaye, Ahmad Balshe, Jason Daheala Quenneville and Stephan Moccio
“Manta Ray” from “Racing Extinction”
Music by J. Ralph and Lyric by Antony Hegarty
“Simple Song #3” from “Youth”
Music and Lyric by David Lang
“Til It Happens To You” from “The Hunting Ground”
Music and Lyric by Diane Warren and Lady Gaga
“Writing’s On The Wall” from “Spectre”
Music and Lyric by Jimmy Napes and Sam Smith

Achievement in production design
“Bridge of Spies” Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Rena DeAngelo and Bernhard Henrich
“The Danish Girl” Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Michael Standish
“Mad Max: Fury Road” Production Design: Colin Gibson; Set Decoration: Lisa Thompson
“The Martian” Production Design: Arthur Max; Set Decoration: Celia Bobak
“The Revenant” Production Design: Jack Fisk; Set Decoration: Hamish Purdy

Best animated short film
“Bear Story” Gabriel Osorio and Pato Escala
“Prologue” Richard Williams and Imogen Sutton
“Sanjay’s Super Team” Sanjay Patel and Nicole Grindle
“We Can’t Live without Cosmos” Konstantin Bronzit
“World of Tomorrow” Don Hertzfeldt

Best live action short film
“Ave Maria” Basil Khalil and Eric Dupont
“Day One” Henry Hughes
“Everything Will Be Okay (Alles Wird Gut)” Patrick Vollrath
“Shok” Jamie Donoughue
“Stutterer” Benjamin Cleary and Serena Armitage

Achievement in sound editing
“Mad Max: Fury Road” Mark Mangini and David White
“The Martian” Oliver Tarney
“The Revenant” Martin Hernandez and Lon Bender
“Sicario” Alan Robert Murray
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” Matthew Wood and David Acord

Achievement in sound mixing
“Bridge of Spies” Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Drew Kunin
“Mad Max: Fury Road” Chris Jenkins, Gregg Rudloff and Ben Osmo
“The Martian” Paul Massey, Mark Taylor and Mac Ruth
“The Revenant” Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño, Randy Thom and Chris Duesterdiek
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio and Stuart Wilson

Achievement in visual effects
“Ex Machina” Andrew Whitehurst, Paul Norris, Mark Ardington and Sara Bennett
“Mad Max: Fury Road” Andrew Jackson, Tom Wood, Dan Oliver and Andy Williams
“The Martian” Richard Stammers, Anders Langlands, Chris Lawrence and Steven Warner
“The Revenant” Rich McBride, Matthew Shumway, Jason Smith and Cameron Waldbauer
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould

Adapted screenplay
“The Big Short” Screenplay by Charles Randolph and Adam McKay
“Brooklyn” Screenplay by Nick Hornby
“Carol” Screenplay by Phyllis Nagy
“The Martian” Screenplay by Drew Goddard
“Room” Screenplay by Emma Donoghue

Original screenplay
“Bridge of Spies” Written by Matt Charman and Ethan Coen & Joel Coen
“Ex Machina” Written by Alex Garland
“Inside Out” Screenplay by Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, Josh Cooley; Original story by Pete Docter, Ronnie del Carmen
“Spotlight” Written by Josh Singer & Tom McCarthy
“Straight Outta Compton” Screenplay by Jonathan Herman and Andrea Berloff; Story by S. Leigh Savidge & Alan Wenkus and Andrea Berloff

Dave

Staff member
Well, I think Leo has the Best Actor Oscar finally clinched. Finally.
I don't know. Redmayne or Cranston could have that as well. Trumbo was a good movie that had a lot more range than just "man angry!" And Redmayne in the Danish Girl? Much more nuanced performance.

I think Leo did good, but the best? I thought he did much better as a supporting in Gilbert Grape.

I guess you could say I wasn't as impressed with The Revenant as others were.

I don't know. Redmayne or Cranston could have that as well. Trumbo was a good movie that had a lot more range than just "man angry!" And Redmayne in the Danish Girl? Much more nuanced performance.

I think Leo did good, but the best? I thought he did much better as a supporting in Gilbert Grape.

I'm inclined to think DiCaprio will probably win. Eddie Redmayne already got an Oscar last year for The Theory of Everything, so they probably won't give it to him again this year.

As for Best Picture, here's hoping that Mad Max: Fury Road takes it.

Sooo I've seen Inside Out... and Star wars. I vote they get all the awards.

I've got the martian sitting at home waiting for me to have time, though, so don't write my recommendations in stone just yet.

Like @filmfanatic said, Redmayne won last year. I would be very surprised to see him win back to back. Not unheard of like Tom Hanks for Forrest Gump and Philadelphia. And Trumbo just wasn't that well-received. The hardships that were endured on The Revenant are probably enough to push him to the winner.

For his portrayal of a man fighting the odds to survive in a harsh environment we are excited to award this long over due Best Actor Oscar to......... Matt Damon.

Last edited:
I don't think that Matt Damon is that special of an actor, but I really like The Martian. The Theory of Everything was fairly lame and I thought Redmayne wasn't all that great in it either. Don't know why he won, but I haven't seen Danish Girl. Cranston is great, but haven't seen Trumbo. Fassbender is pretty great, but haven't seen Jobs. DiCaprio has his moments of greatness, but I haven't seen Revenant.

My vote would go to Fassbender or Cranston or DiCaprio over Redmayne or Damon. Also, if

I think that Mad Max deserves production design and make-up, but not best director or picture.
Go ahead and bash away. :minionevil:

[DOUBLEPOST=1452809159,1452809015][/DOUBLEPOST]I know Star Wars will probably end up taking special effects, but man, I would rather it go to Ex Machina or Mad Max.

[DOUBLEPOST=1452809159,1452809015][/DOUBLEPOST]I know Star Wars will probably end up taking special effects, but man, I would rather it go to Ex Machina or Mad Max.
I find it slightly ironic that the supposed ultra liberal progressive Hollywood elite are being called out on being insensitive to minority talent. Stuff like that has been flying all day across my feed, and now even Sharpton has thrown his 2 cents in.

Hoping Mad Max gets director and several visuals-related rewards.

John Williams could get another Oscar.
Mad max is literally the only English movie I've watched with Jun that she's asked to see twice. She's not even particularly fond of action films. I was so suprised...and then watched it for a 4th time myself.

I find it slightly ironic that the supposed ultra liberal progressive Hollywood elite are being called out on being insensitive to minority talent. Stuff like that has been flying all day across my feed, and now even Sharpton has thrown his 2 cents in.
Completely serious, which black people do they think deserves an Oscar this year? I didn't see many movies, and the only black guy that might've been Oscar worth was Samuel L. Jackson in The Hateful 8. I don't even know if he'd qualify for a lead or a supporting nomination though. I wonder if that hurt him.

Completely serious, which black people do they think deserves an Oscar this year? I didn't see many movies, and the only black guy that might've been Oscar worth was Samuel L. Jackson in The Hateful 8. I don't even know if he'd qualify for a lead or a supporting nomination though. I wonder if that hurt him.
I keep seeing Straight Outta Compton being floated around

I think part of the problem is they're not casting a whole lot of people of color (black, asian, hispanic,etc.) in the first place. I've only seen about 5 movies last year, but looking at Imdb's list of the Top 50 movies in 2015, there isn't much diversity.

Does having a black, brown, or Asian nominee increase shareholder value? That's the only question that matters to the studios' owners.

There's a difference between the stars themselves, who tend more liberal and left, and the company fatcats, who are old white men. The Oscar committee isn't the most diverse bunch.

There's a difference between the stars themselves, who tend more liberal and left, and the company fatcats, who are old white men. The Oscar committee isn't the most diverse bunch.
No, it's very much not.

Oscar Voters: 94% White, 76% Men, and an Average of 63 Years Old

Whoa, whoa, hold your musical horses.

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

“The Hateful Eight” Ennio Morricone

Really?! I'm even more psyched for seeing The Hateful Eight tomorrow. Tarantino almost never gets an original score for his movies, but to get Ennio Morricone for that rare occasion is just too awesome. I had no idea he was even still composing. And actually a composition--not just Tarantino using Morricone's music from other movies, but an original score. Fuck yes.

Whoa, whoa, hold your musical horses.

Really?! I'm even more psyched for seeing The Hateful Eight tomorrow. Tarantino almost never gets an original score for his movies, but to get Ennio Morricone for that rare occasion is just too awesome. I had no idea he was even still composing. And actually a composition--not just Tarantino using Morricone's music from other movies, but an original score. Fuck yes.
Oh yeah, they've been hyping Morricone since they announced the movie. It's a damn good score, too.

Morricone won, which makes me happy.

Mad Max won what you'd expect it to win, but not director, and probably not Best Picture.

I swear these things get longer each year. Will have to find out who won the rest in the morning.

I haven't watched all these movies for best actor this year but I'm not entirely sure why Leo won Best Actor. I mean, he's playing the same exact role he's been doing the last few movies.
Maybe competition was weaker this year, who knows.

Never mind, they went through the rest quick enough.

Not shocked that Spotlight won Best Picture. Not that I saw it, or went over the nominees with any scrutiny. Just that when I thought earlier tonight which movie I thought was most likely to win, that was the first title that popped into my head.[DOUBLEPOST=1456722991,1456722813][/DOUBLEPOST]
I haven't watched all these movies for best actor this year but I'm not entirely sure why Leo won Best Actor. I mean, he's playing the same exact role he's been doing the last few movies.
Maybe competition was weaker this year, who knows.
I doubt he was playing his role from Djano in The Revenant, but I haven't seen the latter, so I don't know.

In any case, pretty sure he won because Academy felt he was due for one, like Martin Scorsese winning Best Director for The Departed. Was that his best movie? No. But his better movies had been passed over for other movies, like when Goodfellas lost (I say this as someone who liked The Departed). It was a make-up Oscar, probably. Leo not having one has been a running joke online for the last few years.

I'm sure Tumblr has exploded at this point.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, he didn't earn it this year, except that the competition wasn't that strong. Damon did fine in The Martian, but it's not the kind of movie that wins awards. Trumbo and Jobs were okay, with Trumbo being the better of the two (partly, I think, because of my incredible disdain for Jobs - that no-talent thieving hack). I was surprised The Dutch Girl didn't win, truthfully. Hollywood LOVES an LGBT story and a transgender one? Heavens! But Leo won in a year where he shouldn't, losing in years where he should have won.

The one that REALLY surprised me was Lady Gaga losing for original song. I mean, they had the first two come out & sing and then the FUCKING VICE PRESIDENT introduces her and she's backed up by rape survivors! It was like, "You guys did okay, but HERE'S LADY GAGA!!"

And is it true no openly gay man has ever won an Oscar? I find that hard to believe, but I can't think of one.[DOUBLEPOST=1456724704,1456724604][/DOUBLEPOST]Found an answer:

While Smith’s statement may have been sincere, it was not entirely truthful. Three openly-gay singer/songwriters won Smith’s category including Melissa Etheridge, Elton John, and Stephen Sondheim. As for the acting categories, several gay winners have won, but before coming out including Joel Grey and Jodie Foster.

. I was surprised The Dutch Girl didn't win, truthfully. Hollywood LOVES an LGBT story and a transgender one?
And is it true no openly gay man has ever won an Oscar? I find that hard to believe, but I can't think of one.
The screenwriter for Milk just ~5 years ago mentioned it a bunch of times in his acceptance speech. Sam Smith is a fucking moron

also, yeah, remember when Brokeback Mountain won best picture?