2017 Eclipse

Monday, August 21st between noonish and 3pm ish North America will experience an eclipse, with he path of totality crossing from one corner of the US to another.

Resources:

http://eclipse-maps.com/Eclipse-Maps/Welcome.html

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/3d-stl-files - 3d printable pinhole projectors

https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/eclipse.html

We are traveling south to Georgia to be within the path of totality, but even 600 miles north in Michigan the moon will cover 80% of the sun so the eclipse will still be fascinating everywhere.

Anyone else traveling or does big something special for the eclipse?

Also, if anyone wants to join us in northern Georgia (Lavonia) we are renting a house, come up and be inundaunted with children! We will be visiting family so I don't think we will have time to travel to visit @Denbrought @Officer_Charon and other Georgia dwellers, but if anyone is willing to meet halfway let me know and we will see what we can work out.

We're close enough to the 100% mark in NC that we won't be going anywhere. I hope the weather is clear. It has been rainy and cloudy lately.

What gear are you using? Glasses, etc.

Monday, August 21st between noonish and 3pm ish North America will experience an eclipse, with he path of totality crossing from one corner of the US to another.

Resources:

http://eclipse-maps.com/Eclipse-Maps/Welcome.html

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/3d-stl-files - 3d printable pinhole projectors

https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/eclipse.html

We are traveling south to Georgia to be within the path of totality, but even 600 miles north in Michigan the moon will cover 80% of the sun so the eclipse will still be fascinating everywhere.

Anyone else traveling or does big something special for the eclipse?

Also, if anyone wants to join us in northern Georgia (Lavonia) we are renting a house, come up and be inundaunted with children! We will be visiting family so I don't think we will have time to travel to visit @Denbrought @Officer_Charon and other Georgia dwellers, but if anyone is willing to meet halfway let me know and we will see what we can work out.
I'll ask @CynicalKat, as that's only 2 hours from us. Are you doing a 3-day weekend there, or just the eclipse day?

I am a bit jealous that my brother will travel to Tennessee to see the totality.

I just bought some welding goggles off of Amazon, and will walk outside for the 75% blockage here.

I'm going to bumfuck, NC to see it. The forecast is cloudy. I'm disappointed but it should still be a nice weekend trip.

Also, if you bought glasses on Amazon, check their site. They just recalled a bunch for being fake. Don't want to go blind.

We were really hoping to be living in Oregon by the time the eclipse hit, but since the first house deal fell through, there was no way we were going to get the second one done in time. Still, Frederickson should see ~90% coverage.

I'm going to bumfuck, NC to see it. The forecast is cloudy. I'm disappointed but it should still be a nice weekend trip.

Also, if you bought glasses on Amazon, check their site. They just recalled a bunch for being fake. Don't want to go blind.
Asheville isn't bumfuck. :(

Huh, according to the map I checked there'll be 96% coverage here. I guess we should try to get glasses after all... Oops.

Any recommendations on affordable certified protection? Amazon sounds unsafe due to counterfeiters.

What gear are you using? Glasses, etc.
We got the amazon glasses that amazon essentially recalled. We have another friend bringing some good ones when they meet us Monday. I've got some filter film for my cameras and will consider projecting it if something falls through, and a final backup is shade 13 welding goggles.

We fall in that category. I left one with a friend who has access to a spectrophotometer, and two pairs of known good glasses. So we will find out if these ones are comparable. We have the requirements of the standard, so it will be an interesting comparison, but unless the results are very clear we probably still won't use them, UV and IR damage is invisible and will just as surely cause blindness as visible light.

I'll ask @CynicalKat, as that's only 2 hours from us. Are you doing a 3-day weekend there, or just the eclipse day?
We are driving now and will be there from late tonight to Monday afternoon after the eclipse. Our plans are fluid, so I can't make any promises, but if you're willing we will try to make something happen.[DOUBLEPOST=1502894989,1502894904][/DOUBLEPOST]
Huh, according to the map I checked there'll be 96% coverage here. I guess we should try to get glasses after all... Oops.

Any recommendations on affordable certified protection? Amazon sounds unsafe due to counterfeiters.
Amazon has pulled most of the listing that aren't certified, that said, call your local planetarium, museum, science center, etc and see if they have some you can buy.

I think I'll be OK, I put the goggles on in a darkened room and I could not find the open window at noon.
As long as they are shade 12 or higher then they are suitable. Some add a green tint, but otherwise lots of people will be using welding goggles.

We will also do a pinhole just so the kids can learn several ways to view the sun.

As long as they are shade 12 or higher then they are suitable. Some add a green tint, but otherwise lots of people will be using welding goggles.

We will also do a pinhole just so the kids can learn several ways to view the sun.
They are 14 goggles. But it looks like the item was pulled off Amazon. I don't know if it sold out or were sell outs. I shot an email off to Amazon, hopefully they will respond.

Harbor freight has cheap adequate welding goggles. We are using the $40 electronic ones though, since I prefer them for welding.

Even the knock offs at least cover the whole spectrum.

Since I missed out on getting ISO-certified filters for my binoculars, I am DIYing an indirect viewer with a monocular I own and a sufficiently large amazon box.

I'm heading up to Albany, Oregon, with a pack of glasses bought back in February after heavy research. Will try to scalp some of them, cut one up for a cameraphone & GoPro filter, and have a sheet from a previous event to try to make a filter for the DSLR.

I've got a 4-pack of Celestron glasses to use, as well as a solar filter for the end of my telescope. Only 55% up here, but still better than no event at all!

Hint: don't EVER use an eyepiece filter for a telescope. Filter the end of the tube, not the post-concentrated part. You can really fuck up your telescope and/or eyes the other way. Ya it's cheaper, but it's your eyes. Don't screw around!

Better to modify the input than the output, when possible.
I believe this to be true for all photography.

--Patrick

Better to modify the input than the output, when possible.
I believe this to be true for all photography.

--Patrick
Programming, electronic signals, telling people stuff, etc. the earlier in the process you can modify the data stream, the better - generally speaking, anyway.

I already am in Hopkinsville, KY, which is on the path of totality - just a bit off from dead center and is going to be some of the longest points, so I'm excited. We already have our glasses and I'm taking a late lunch that day (I work from home so that makes it pretty easy). They're calling for over 200k people to come here this weekend (town's population is about 30k) - my son's school is closed on Monday and everything.

We interrupt this thread to state the following (mostly for @Dei):
I have actually seen Major League. It was the in-flight movie on a plane/train/bus/I-don't-remember-what-mode-it-was trip I took.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

--Patrick

School already started here, so my kids are going to go outside to see it during the school day and get free glasses from the school district. My husband's job is also giving everyone glasses and a set time to go see it. I have no glasses, though I might be able to find some in the house that I got from the planetarium for the last eclipre/Venus transit a few years ago. Too bad I never keep track of this stuff.

We have totality just south of us and scouted out viewing locations last weekend.

We have glasses and a telescope with a solar viewing/photography setup, but I also want to see some of the other eclipse things, like shadow snakes!

Smarter Every Day has a video on the cool things to look for during an eclipse.

I am in SC and directly in the path of totality. My Aunt & Uncle are coming over from Augusta.

The Columbia, SC area is expected to get somewhere in the vicinity of 1 million visitors due to the I-20 and I-95 corridors. For reference, we only have about 200,000 residents here. I don't think there is a single hotel room available right now.