Export thread

2016 College Football Thread

blotsfan

blotsfan

Top 10 Tennesee is currently losing to Appalachian State. Something about this seems familiar...

I've missed you, football.

BErt

Shush, you shut your goddamn mouth I need this.

Edit: Musberger has been openly rooting against App State. All three close calls he said should have gone to Tennessee, and now he's taking about "the weight of expectations" when an underdog is hanging around.

Edit 2: siiiiiigh

blotsfan

blotsfan

I understand football better than Appalachian State's head coach.

BErt

Well i almost got to be happy tonight

blotsfan

blotsfan

If you want to remember better times for Appalachian State:

BErt

Youre the worst devil on the planet.

With it being 9 years to the day from...THAT, and Tennessee's OC tonight was our OC back then I was hoping it would all wrap up nicely. Fuck Mike DeBord. Go Blue

BErt

Anyway...I could not be more excited to start a new college football season. I don't remember a previous week 1 with as many interesting match ups:

Oklahoma @ Houston
LSU vs Wisconsin @ Lambeau
USC @ Bama
UGA @ UNC
Clemson @ Auburn
Notre Dame @ Texas
Ole Miss @ Florida State

That's just crazy.

BErt

Houston with the Kick-Six against Oklahoma!

blotsfan

blotsfan

That was incredible. It is not possible to have a longer return in football

blotsfan

blotsfan

BErt

Oh my god. Mississippi State.

jwhouk

jwhouk

77-10.

BGSU shouldn't have even been in the same state as TOSU.

BErt

Good half Badgers, don't blow it

EDIT - They hold on!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Aggies freakin' hold for the win in overtime. Should have NEVER been in overtime, but they stopped playing the regular game with 8 minutes left in regulation.

Aggie 31 - ucla 24.

LSU had two good series, and that was their entire game. I know many Tiggers fans that are very unhappy with the team, and they want to kick the OL player off the team for the stupid cheap shot.

jwhouk

jwhouk

BUCKY!!!!

jwhouk

jwhouk

And as for the alma mater: 65 wins in our last 70 games. :)

(P.S. - @Celt Z, where the heck is TCNJ?)

Gared

Gared

Meanwhile, good ol' Wazzu proves yet again that it doesn't matter how flashy your offense is, if you don't have a defense, you're fucked. We're now 0-4 in season openers under Mike Leach, and have lost one of those season openers to Eastern Washington, and one to Portland State. Next week we get to go to Boise and play Boise State - the biggest little P5 killer of them all. Frankly, if the defense isn't out running lines on the field right now, for the whole day, and spending all day tomorrow working on tackling fundamentals, we need to fire our DC.

Whoops, my bad - that's 0-5.

blotsfan

blotsfan

This true freshman Texas has at qb looks legit. Hits his receivers in stride, and if not for drops, he'd have even more TDs.

blotsfan

blotsfan

This Texas-Notre Dame game...what the fuck?

Dave

Dave

Pretty decent game so far. And since I hate ND I hope Texas can punch it in in this 2nd OT.[DOUBLEPOST=1473046965,1473046809][/DOUBLEPOST]And there it is.

BErt

I'd say I need to lay down after that but i already was.

LOL ND

Celt Z

Celt Z

And as for the alma mater: 65 wins in our last 70 games. :)

(P.S. - @Celt Z, where the heck is TCNJ?)
NJ didn't have a state university, so they renamed Trenton State to The College of New Jersey. It is a pretty dumb switch. (Also, I believe Rutgers laughed at them when the approached with the suggestion.)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Gotcha. We've played 'em twice and beaten them both times, it appears.

BErt

This week has been has horrible as last week was amazing. Blerg.

Northwestern is an embarrassment to football
Georgia is...lol
At least the end of the Central Michigan/OK State was amazing!

EDIT: Les Miles is legit losing his job this year. He's in serious IDGAF mode

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Alma Mater was down 13-7 to Bellhaven College with about 12 minutes to go in the first half.

The Warhawks promptly blocked the extra point, and:

* kicked a 43-yard field goal to make it 13-10;
* scored on three TD runs by Drew Patterson (the first a 54-yarder);
* returned a Pick 6;
* scored on two TD's by Cam Maly in 71 seconds; and
* topped it off with a Ronny Ponick TD run with just under 6 minutes to go to make it 59-13.

52 unanswered points. 59-13 final.

Whitewater is the Alabama of Division III. :)

BErt

I approve of the new direction towards SEC coverage

image.jpeg

BErt

North Dakota St 23 - Iowa 21 on a game winning FG.

Required check on @Dave ...Dave? You ok buddy?

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't understand why teams schedule NDSU. They're an FCS team that will kick your ass.

Dave

Dave

Go to get a flat tire fixed. Nope. Need a new one. Guess we'l wait until payday. Get in my car to come home. Won't start. Finally make it home to watch the Iowa game. They lose.

Now I'm afraid to leave the house.

I'm fine. It's just a football game. I love it when they win but I'm not the type who wraps everything up in the actions of college kids.

blotsfan

blotsfan

*bets life savings on redskins*

Dave

Dave

The pictures on Monday will be Dak Prescott sitting on the sidelines with Romo, both wrapped like mummies.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Cal refs are C@cksuckers.

BErt

Two TDs today got called as such even though the runner dropped the ball on the 1 as he was entering the endzone (the other was in the the osu/oklahoma game...although it hardly seemed to help OU). This is getting ridiculous. It was actually the third in two weeks; Clemson did it last week bit that one actually got called back correctly.

HOLD THE GODDAMN BALL THROUGH THE PLAY, PEOPLE

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Two TDs today got called as such even though the runner dropped the ball on the 1 as he was entering the endzone (the other was in the the osu/oklahoma game...although it hardly seemed to help OU). This is getting ridiculous. It was actually the third in two weeks; Clemson did it last week bit that one actually got called back correctly.

HOLD THE GODDAMN BALL THROUGH THE PLAY, PEOPLE
One of my High School Players did that, I damn near came unglued.

Gared

Gared

Pac12 refs are, arguably, the worst refs in all of NCAA football, as a group. Every year at the end of the season there's a bunch of outcry from all of the member schools' fans (and coaches, and occasionally ADs) to the conference commissioner to do something about our refs, and every year they continue to suck horribly. They are the NFL replacement refs of college football. That being said, at least they haven't given anyone a free play so far this season. So far.

BErt

Dang, @DarkAudit, ESPN gives you guys no love
big XII.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well, somebody has to win the Big12 this year.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Mizzou scheduled a bad FCS team in Delaware State, and it wasn't pretty. We beat them 58-0.

Wait, whats that?

Its halftime?

Oh...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Alma mater "outlasted" an NAIA opponent (Morningside, IA), 35-21. Truth is, with the exception of missed coverage late in the 3rd, this one wouldn't even have been that close.

BErt

Alma mater "outlasted" an NAIA opponent (Morningside, IA), 35-21. Truth is, with the exception of missed coverage late in the 3rd, this one wouldn't even have been that close.
that the biggest thing that happened for you today? nothing else worth mentioning?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Your alma mater is the most important team in your life. All others are secondary.

BErt

fine

far be it from me to try to have a conversation; I guess I have to stop watching college football

PatrThom

PatrThom

Your alma mater is the most important team in your life. All others are secondary.
Ha ha no.

--Patrick

BErt

sideline reporter for the Arkansas/Texas A&M game just straight up said "tummy" during her report on a player injury. We're still waiting for the update as to whether he has a "boo-boo" or an "owwie"

jwhouk

jwhouk

that the biggest thing that happened for you today? nothing else worth mentioning?
Oh, yeah, I guess the big state school did something in its conference opener, too.

;)

Sent from my Nextbook

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

sideline reporter for the Arkansas/Texas A&M game just straight up said "tummy" during her report on a player injury. We're still waiting for the update as to whether he has a "boo-boo" or an "owwie"
I straight up busted out laughed at that.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Just one of those nights on the plains of Auburn...
One would think a Photographer would have better depth perception.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

FUCK THE GATORS

PatrThom

PatrThom

One would think a Photographer would have better depth perception.
One would think she's not going to be able to avoid people talking about "balls coming at her face" any time soon.

--Patrick

BErt

...and down goes Les Miles. I don't think anyone has ever been on a hot seat longer or more consistantly

BErt

I'm not gonna say the thing regarding Michigan...

...but I might think the thing regarding Michigan

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

i just recovered from the tennessee - georgia game

BErt

i just recovered from the tennessee - georgia game
Half way through that mess of a schedule...

But yeah, that was a ridiculous 10 seconds of gameplay. This whole weekend was fire. Who saw Washington coming??

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

also Tennessee has had Gameday at like. 3 out of 5 games so far?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

also Tennessee has had Gameday at like. 3 out of 5 games so far?
And at their game next weekend in College Station.

Dave

Dave

GO HAWKEYES!!

Damn it.

BErt

GO HAWKEYES!!

Damn it.
At least you still have Ferentz for another 300 years

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'll say it.

Muck Fichigan.

BErt

The hate here may have diminished a bit, but the day it happened, Ohio State gained 1.5 million new fans.

There were WV grandmothers that hadn't watched football in years, but would ask, "did Michigan lose?" during the DickRod era. :D

Haven't forgotten. Haven't forgiven.

He turned down Alabama to stay with you, then Michael Garrison treated him like shit. Being mad at Michigan at all about that is fucking petty and stupid.

I'll say it.

Muck Fichigan.
Scoreboard. You have a great chance to take it to OSU in two weeks, please do.

BErt

I can't comment on how his departure was received there, but if you read about any of the behind the scenes stuff that lead up to it, you might be a little more upset at the university itself ( if you are so inclined, Three and Out by John U Bacon touches on it a bit before it gets into RRod's time in Michigan).

But if you want to hate the native son forever for bolting, I won't begrudge you that. I think it was a crime the way the Michigan fan base treated him so I still root for him to have success in Arizona.

...and you shit the bed against Pitt because Pat White got hurt and for some reason Rich Rod can only have one good QB at a time :p We had the same issue here with Denard.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Ah the 2007 "what could've been" national championship game.

General Specific

General Specific

I saw an article the other day in one of the local newspapers that mentioned many of my fellow SC Gamecock fans had thought that we would be in competition of an SEC East title this year. I'm sorry, but what team were they looking at? Taking a 3-9 team and simply hiring Wil Muschamp is not going to make them that much better. We still have the majority of the players we did last year. We have a couple of good QBs, one of which is a freshman with a lot of potential if we can recruit enough talent for him to shine. I believe Muschamp can probably do that, but it will take several years for us to get to the point where we would seriously contend for a title.

With the schedule we have, we'll be lucky to win 5 games this year. Becoming bowl eligible would take a miracle. We'd have to win four out of Georgia, UMass, Tennessee, Missouri, Florida, Western Carolina, and Clemson.

BErt

"Michigan just isn't on the same level as Ohio State."

-Rutgers fans last week, for some reason

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ann Arbor, MI: 750'-1015'
Columbus, OH: 670'-1132'
...actually they're pretty close.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

-Rutgers fans last week, for some reason
I would say that scoreboard last night was the Rutgers team I always knew (and occasionally suffer through).

BErt

Ann Arbor, MI: 750'-1015'
Columbus, OH: 670'-1132'
...actually they're pretty close.

--Patrick

Patrick no, that's a bad Patrick

I would say that scoreboard last night was the Rutgers team I always knew (and occasionally suffer through).
Ohio State beat them 58-0 last week, Rutgers fans/media said "well that's because they're Ohio State, certainly Michigan won't.......oh"

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Good lord did the Aggies have to drag that game out like that? Basically 4 hours, 45 minutes from kickoff to final. They had the game won in the first half, then came out from halftime not playing to win, but playing not to lose. If they had continued as they did in the first half the game would never have gotten to the "pixie dust" commentary.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Good lord did the Aggies have to drag that game out like that? Basically 4 hours, 45 minutes from kickoff to final. They had the game won in the first half, then came out from halftime not playing to win, but playing not to lose. If they had continued as they did in the first half the game would never have gotten to the "pixie dust" commentary.
Or if the kicker kicked the first time as good as he did in overtime, there wouldn't have been an overtime, much less double OT.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Or if the kicker kicked the first time as good as he did in overtime, there wouldn't have been an overtime, much less double OT.
Hell, if the running back had just fallen down after getting the first down the clock could have been run out without tenn getting the ball back at all!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

what a penn state win, congrats, I'm positive that right now, Joe Paterno's ghost is looking upward and smiling

BErt

Well, somebody has to win the Big12 this year.
...you sure about that?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Oh fuck we lost to kentucky didn't we?

Hopes deleted blah blah blah

BErt

Kentucky plays football now?

General Specific

General Specific

South Carolina beat Tennessee? How? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Gamecock fan, but this is the same team that needed a last second field goal to beat Vanderbilt.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Still undefeated. Whomped Eau Claire this weekend, 48-6.

Still do not know what the #### a Blugold is, though.

BErt

South Carolina beat Tennessee? How?
...oh, you havent met my "friend"?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_DeBord

He was the OC when Michigan lost...that game...i was so hoping he did it again this year. He came really close!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

eh hem...

Dave

Dave

Looks like they had a player's only meeting and a bunch of them quit. Stay tuned!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

WTF is going on in Knoxville this morning? Lots of rumors and cryptic tweets from players. @Charlie Don't Surf are you going to be okay?
pffffffffff. What I heard was that they asked Hurd to move to LB, and he politely told them to fuck off and decided to transfer elsewhere to continue playing offense.

This dumb team isn't good enough to feel bad about getting blown up. They flew by the seat of their pants way too many games in a row.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I went to the local college football game this weekend.

Each time the other team had the ball, a lady behind us started chanting...

*clap, *clap DEFENSE! *clap, *clap DEFENSE! *clap, *clap DEFENSE!

But in my head it sounded as though she was chanting...

*clap, *clap DEEZ NUTS! *clap, *clap DEEZ NUTS! *clap, *clap DEEZ NUTS!

jwhouk

jwhouk

9-0, clinched a D3 playoff berth, WIAC champs for the 30th time... yep. :)

Dave

Dave

BErt

Congratulations on your bowl eligibility. You guys have a very nice stadium. Go Blue.IMG_3432.JPG

I hate that pictures flip when posted from mobile

Gared

Gared

Damnit, Iowa, stop doing things that make it hard for me to hate you! Family honor is on the line here, I can't cheer for you.
:mad:

BErt

...and Michigan doesn't drop at all, which is 100% the correct call considering who all else lost this weekend. Clemson's loss at home to Pitt was worse than Michigan's road loss to Iowa, and the committee was clearly just looking for any excuse to keep Washington out of the top 4 considering their overall schedule. And they didn't bite on the notion of the AP and coaches polls that Louisville should be ahead of Clemson since Clemson won head to head. The correct top 4 is set right now:

1)Bama 2)OSU 3) Michigan 4) Clemson

...everything will shake out in the next two weeks but right now, this is correct. My only gripe is Western Michigan still being 21 despite being undefeated. Their schedule matches up enough with the likes of Boise this year, they should be at least 15...

jwhouk

jwhouk

And the journey back to Salem, Virginia begins against Lakeland College.

10-0, and this time the NCAA wised up and put us in opposite sides of the bracket from Mount Union.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

eh hem...

11-0 clinched the conference and should have a first round bye, and home games throughout the rest of the playoffs.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

11-0 clinched the conference and should have a first round bye, and home games throughout the rest of the playoffs.
For some reason the #1 team in the nation gets the #5 seed in the playoffs. So we only get a bye and one home game.

jwhouk

jwhouk

One down.

Lakeland College bit the dust, 45-27.

Next up: Wittenberg. Last time we played them, we beat them 31-13 on the way to winning our 1st ever Stagg Bowl.

blotsfan

blotsfan

So in the season of "Hopes Deleted" we finish out by beating Arkansas after being down 24-7 at the half.

Sports are weird.

BErt

Um...WOW Cincinnati

Dave

Dave

*ahem*

GO HAWKEYES! HUCK THE FUSKERS!

Gared

Gared

Dear gods, we were completely outclassed by the Huskies. Apparently the coach's speech about how soft our players were was only good for 8 wins, and we used them all in a row.

BErt

Thst was the fairest called game I'd ever seen. Not even counting the last first down in 2OT that OSU was given for no reason, OSU had 2 penalties called on them for a whole 6 yards.

If anyone needs me, I'll be breaking things with a hammer for the rest of the night

Dave

Dave

Yeah, OSU got a lot of calls and Michigan got absolutely none. They got royally fucked by the refs.

BErt

I'm in full "watch the world burn" mode. Go MSU, Wisconsin, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, Va Tech, USC, Colorado. I want every team to have 2 losses so we can finally stop this 4 team charade and make it an 8 team playoff like it always should have been.

It never made sense to have a 4 team playoff when you're already declaring a "power 5" of conferences. You're guaranteeing at least one conference champ gets left out; two if you decide the "Holy SEC" deserves 2 or if ND puts together a good season again.

Gared

Gared

Boy, this USC v. ND game is getting ugly.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wisconsin-Whitewater 37, Wittenberg 9. :)

Next victim opponent: John Carroll College of Ohio, in the NCAA Division III Quarterfinals.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Be careful. They just beat Mount Union.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Be careful. They just beat Mount Union.
That didn't stop MTU from defeating Johns Hopkins University in their playoff game, 28-21, on the other side of the bracket.

That was also the last game of the season for the Purple Raiders. That's classic "letdown" material.

General Specific

General Specific

South Carolina vs Clemson is over at the half, but they decided to go ahead and play the rest of it anyway. I guess Clemson wanted to see how many points they could score.

blotsfan

blotsfan

That didn't stop MTU from defeating Johns Hopkins University in their playoff game, 28-21, on the other side of the bracket.

That was also the last game of the season for the Purple Raiders. That's classic "letdown" material.
I believe you owe me an apology.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Sam Houston won, now they are off to James Madison.

I am still pissed that we are the #1 team in the nation, but #5 seed in the playoffs. It should be home field advantage throughout for us.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Phhhbt.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Bleargh.

Oh well. At least the pedophile lovers don't get to play with Bama.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Bleargh.

Oh well. At least the pedophile lovers don't get to play with Bama.
Woah! They don't love pedophiles! They just love people that allow pedophiles to do what they want for 40 years.

Mathias

Mathias

Woah! They don't love pedophiles! They just love people that allow pedophiles to do what they want for 40 years.

Fuck both you guys.

Go PSU!

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'd believe penn state was more willing to separate itself from paterno if they didn't honor him at a game this year.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I want three things this bowl season:

1. TOSU to go down.
2. Bama to get beat.
3. Someone knock off Mt. Union.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I want Alabama to win the title to prove once again that the SEC is the best conference

BErt

Army beats Navy the same year that the Cubs and Cleveland win championships and Trump is elected president.

Brb, putting $2K on the Lions to win the Super Bowl

blotsfan

blotsfan

I want three things this bowl season:

1. TOSU to go down.
2. Bama to get beat.
3. Someone knock off Mt. Union.
Theres one.

Dave

Dave

Because they lost the Russell Athletic Bowl? Dude, your team lost the moment they PLAYED in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

Gared

Gared

Hey, at least WVU played in their bowl game. My team gave up on their season with two games left and didn't even bother to show up for their bowl game - because they have no heart or desire to work hard enough to win, according to their star receiver and their coach. It will be interesting to see if the Huskies stand any chance against Alabama in a couple hours, or if the entire Pac 12 really is weak.

General Specific

General Specific

I am watching the National Championship game and as an alumni of an SEC school, I don't like Alabama and so want them to lose. However, I went to South Carolina and so I really don't want Clemson to win. Not only are they our rivals and beat us badly this year, but there are a lot of insufferable fans around that I'd hear from all year.

Sooooo, Roll Tide?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Nope.

Clemson.

General Specific

General Specific

Nope.

Clemson.
Oh well, at least Alabama didn't win another one