[Movies] 1,001 Movies to See Before You Croak (Halforums Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Martin has never been a strong comedian in my opinion. Though Dirty Rotten Scoundrels definitely benefits from his style of comedy.

Romance/drama: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind: Not sure which genre to stick it to, but either way people have to see it any way.

Animation: Vampires in Havana: This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen, you have to see it at least once.

Animation/family:Wreck-it Ralph: I love this damn movie with a great message that I'm not spoiling.

Sci-fi: 1980s Flash Gordon: As I've said before, both awful and awesome at the same time. You will be a different person after watching it.

Horror: Cabin In the Woods. I don't really know how to say anything about this movie without giving anything away. It's a love letter to the horror genre that has brought "meta" to the cabin in the woods genre as "Scream" did with the slasher genre. But I can guarantee that it has one of the most iconic scenes in horror history that will be remembered fondly for years. Basically there is a point where shit hits the fan, and that fan is called "Purge Button".

Fantasy: Stardust
This is the lovechild that Legend and The Princess Bride gave birth to in the recent decade. Lovingly based on a story by Neil Gaiman the story is your typical hero's journey, but with plenty of twists, turns, and a good number of pleasant surprises. It's quirky, funny, and has some of the most memorable quotes I can think of in recent history. Please. Please. Please. See this movie.

Action: Dredd
Fuck Stalone. Karl Urban does the character proud by playing the Judge as a cold, calculating, persistent messenger of lethal justice. The Judge and his new rookie partner find themselves cut off from reinforcements when a crime boss named "Mama" seals the building complex she operates out of, and sends out every underling available to rid her of her "pest" problem.

Animation: Twice Upon a Time
A forgotten treasure of the 80's and Lucasfilm. This animated masterpiece follows the misadventures of Ralph the All-Purpose Animal (Voiced by Lorenzo Music of "Garfield" fame) and his silent partner Mumford. The two unwittingly assist an evil man in his plot to give the world eternal nightmares and must quickly turn their lives around and become the heroes they always wanted to be.

Animation: Wreck-It-Ralph
There is no denying it. This movie is hands-down the best video game movie ever.

Action: Kung Fu Hustle
You don't need an explanation. You just need a trailer.

Action: Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained
There is a reason that Tarantino has the right to inflate his own ego by giving Brad Pitt the final line of "I think this might be my masterpiece" at the end of Basterds. Because I think it truly is one of the greatest films he has ever directed. But both Basterds and Django share a crucial element that makes them must-sees-before-you-die. That element: Christopher Waltz. When it comes to Tarantino films there are always two things you'll find in every movie. Disturbing violence and conversation. Waltz is the ultimate conversationalist. When he speaks you are entranced. Don't believe me? Watch the opening act of Basterds. He is the perfect villain. Calm. Intelligent. Polite. Ruthless.
In Django he's pretty much the same character, but this time he's a good guy. Plus this film gives him some memorable quotes that will keep you chuckling for hours.
Waltz isn't the only thing to watch the films for. There is plenty of good stuff from everyone in these films. The infamous "Bear-Jew" scene in Basterds always gets me snickering at the same time as averting my eyes.
And both films end with some of the most brutal and yet satisfying acts of violence I have ever seen in film (with the exception of Cabin In The Woods).

Status
Not open for further replies.