[Movies] 1,001 Movies to See Before You Croak (Halforums Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's all this then?

Some suggestions;

Cool Hand Luke
Hustler
Color of Money
Zulu
Twelve Angry Men
Of Mice and Men
Dirty Dozen
Conspiracy
Field of Dreams
Unforgiven
Escape from New York
Tora Tora Tora
Attack of the Killer Tomatos
Papillon
Kill Bill

North_Ranger

Staff member
Nah, I've just been hella lazy lately - or irritable, thanks to some side effects from the treatments. I'll get back to updating soon... ish ;)

North_Ranger

Staff member
What's all this then?

Some suggestions;

??Cool Hand Luke
??Hustler
??Color of Money
Zulu
??Twelve Angry Men
??Of Mice and Men
Dirty Dozen
??Conspiracy
??Field of Dreams
??Unforgiven
Escape from New York
Tora Tora Tora
??Attack of the Killer Tomatos
Papillon
Kill Bill
Can you please put these in some kind of genres? I admit, I haven't seen all of these (or they may have wildly different names in Finnish), so I'm not sure where to put them. I've put question marks before the ones I'm not sure of.

S

Soliloquy

"Film Noir" is going to be difficult to fill up, I think, since almost all of the most notable recent Noir movies fit snugly into other categories.

For instance, Blade Runner and Dark City are both very, very noir, but are also Sci-Fi (though I see you've got Dark City listed under mystery -- which is also a good fit for it.) All the good Batman films are heavily noir-influenced, but they're also action films. Se7en is about as noir as it gets these days, but it also fits snugly into the thriller category.

It's pretty much the inverse of the issue Quotemander had with the animation category -- I love the style, but its style is so often mixed with so many other genres that no one will think to categorize noir films as noir.

That said, I think Sin City deserves to be put under Noir, if only because its heavily-stylized aesthetic influenced the way later comic book movies were filmed, such as Watchmen and 300.

I've heard L.A. Confidential and Basic Instinct were good, but alas, I haven't gotten around to seeing either :(.

(ALSO: Hi guys!)

EDIT: Also, put in Children of Men in there. I guess it'd be considered a thriller? Maybe Sci-Fi?

North_Ranger

Staff member
Added some new films...

Driving Miss Daisy (Drama)
Forbidden Planet (sci-fi)
Event Horizon (horror... it always struck me as more of a horror film than sci-fi)

Let's see if we can't find some more, shall we?

North_Ranger

Staff member
Plus, I'm still waiting for HCGLNS to give me about a dozen films' genres. In all honesty, though, I figured alphabetizing and such is best left after we have the whole list.

Musical: Rocky Horror Picture Show. Probably the silliest musical I've ever seen. While the plot makes almost no sense, the music and characters will stick with you forever. Gotta see it at least once.

I'm awake! No really!

??Cool Hand Luke - Drama
??Hustler - Drama
??Color of Money - Drama
Zulu - History/Action
??Twelve Angry Men - Drama/Crime/Film Noir
??Of Mice and Men - Drama/Film Noir
Dirty Dozen - Action/History
??Conspiracy - Documentary/History/Horror (this is the HBO film, free to view on youtube)
??Field of Dreams - Family
??Unforgiven - Wester
Escape from New York - Action/Horror/Sci-Fi
Tora Tora Tora - Documentary/History
??Attack of the Killer Tomatos - Comedy
Papillon - Biography/Drama
Kill Bill - Adventure

Music: Empire Records, cheesy nineties goodness!

Musical: Dr Horrible's Sinalong blog. I know it was a web-series first-SHUDDAP!

Family: Harry and the Hendersons. I haven't seen it, but I have seen the 30 Rock episode parodying it. Needless to say, it made me cry.

Harry and the Hendersons was a good family movie. It is funny that at that time John Lithgow was typecast as a family man. Then shortly there after he became typecast as an insane killer.

Everything seems good when you're a kid. Watch it now.

Hell, even when I saw it in theaters I don't think I was a teenager yet and it was some awful shit. Paul WS Anderson can't seem to make a good movie. You watch he lands the Bioshock director's seat just for all the horrible Resident Evil movies under his belt.

Look, I like Die Hard 2 and 3 (I even like 4, and would go so far to saying I like it more than 2, not as much as 3), but neither are "MUST SEE" films, while Die Hard 1 is. Same with Lethal Weapon 3. I can actually see a legitimate argument being made for Lethal Weapon 1 & 2 both being there, but 3 is only a decent action film, not an amazing one.
And even the Addams Family, I like those movies well enough, but I wouldn't classify them both as must see. Maybe one of them, cause the Addams Family is a pretty big thing in North American pop culture, but both?

And just.. yeah, suff like that. There aren't really too many films on this list I look at and think are bad, just, not as important to see, not as groundbreaking or innovative, or as prevalent in pop culture.

I mentioned it before, but I guess it got overlooked; my suggestion of Bloodsport was a joke, unless we're including "so bad they're good" movies. It does not belong anywhere on this list. Well, unless you think Van Damme was popular enough to be considered culturally relevant in any way. And if you do think that, then Bloodsport belongs in action, not comedy.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Hookay, took me a while but I got back here. Added some new films as suggested, and trimmed some fat as suggested. Also, had to take out Fritz the Cat. I don't know why, but that film always bugged me in there... I saw the Nostalgia Critic review and the film segments made me want to gouge my eyes out. Also...

Musical: Dr Horrible's Sinalong blog. I know it was a web-series first-SHUDDAP!
Sorry, no... Let's stick to actual movies. If we add web series to the mix we'll be opening a whole damn can of worms...

And just.. yeah, suff like that. There aren't really too many films on this list I look at and think are bad, just, not as important to see, not as groundbreaking or innovative, or as prevalent in pop culture.
To be fair, I don't think there ARE 1001 movies I'd call absolute must-sees. That's a pretty high number.
Anyway, for my money, I'd add some of the oldies. And I mean Das Boot (war), Battleship Potempkin (war), The great Dictator (comedy), L'arrivée du Train (errr...Honestly, where *would* I class that?), otto e mezze (drama?),....

action

Ronin- Best car chase ever on film.
Bullet - Long time record holder for best car chase.
The Transporter

Sci-Fi

Inception

Comedy

Some Like it Hot - widely considered the funniest movie ever.
Annie Hall
Bananas

Ok, finally dropping a few, in no particular order:
Animation: Allegro Non Troppo
War: Kelly's Heroes
Drama: El Norte
Fantasy: Ladyhawke
SciFi: The Black Hole
SciFi: Tron (1982)
Western: Young Guns (aka The Breakfast Club in the old West)

--Patrick

North_Ranger

Staff member
Updated. PatrThom , Ladyhawke was already listed under "Adventure".

Also decided not to alphabetize the movies yet beyond the ones I've already done. It takes a long time to update lists - particularly long ones. I'll slap on the alphabetization should we ever actually complete this list :p

sixpackshaker ... Just curious, is War Horse actually any good? I remember some forumite seeing it and saying it was basically fishing for an Oscar and nothing else.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Added The Umbrellas of Cherbourg to the Musicals. A heartbreaking movie, to say the least. I don't know how well it's known over in the States.

I feel you need to add Kung Fu Panda 2 to the animation list. It pretty much pulls off what a sequel always should be. It's funnier, more beautiful, more touching, and so much more epic than the first.

You have to add The Jerk and All Of Me to the comedy section. I know it's already filled out, but they are easily both ahead of several other entries on that list. Classic, classic steve martin comedy gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.