Zubbles have finally arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
Colored bubbles. I have no idea why this concept is so cool to me, but it is.

I first read about Zubbles in Popular Science about 4 years ago. Link to article Quite a technical achievement, since it's really hard to get color to suspend in the bubble instead of falling to the bottom of the sphere. Not only that but the dye is also designed to not stain clothing (or anything else), and has applications beyond toys. Pretty awesome read, as I remember.

New article from Popsci Exclusive: Colored Bubbles Have Landed (and Popped and Vanished) Includes video of them playing indoors with the bubbles, and smearing the colored bubble solution on a white surface to show the color fading. Second page has the inventor's account of what took so long to perfect and market Zubbles.

Zubbles were supposed to come out that spring. Apparently they got delayed but they're finally coming out.
http://zubbles.com/

$15 for a two-pack (+shipping) is pretty steep though, especially for 4oz containers. I'm still tempted.

W

Wasabi Poptart

That is so neat! I want some, but it would mean I'd have to share with my son.

I remember reading about this. He managed to make it work so that the color could be wiped off with water and a cloth but when he demonstrated it the parents were horrified at the mess. He had to hire a chemist to come in and perfect a solution that faded on its own. I always wondered why I never saw it in the stores. I might have to pick up a couple bottles for a birthday party or something...

What was that colored plastic stuff you could buy in a small tube and blow into colored balls called? I loved that just for the colors but they wouldn't float and would collapse in on themselves fairly quick.
These colored bubbles are a really cool idea. Give it time and the price will drop.

figmentPez

Staff member
Steve said:
What was that colored plastic stuff you could buy in a small tube and blow into colored balls called? I loved that just for the colors but they wouldn't float and would collapse in on themselves fairly quick.
I know what you're talking about. I remember playing with that stuff at my aunt's house, along with a bunch of my cousins. We never could get it to work as well as it was supposed to, but it was still cool. I can't remember what it's called. All I can find is the more recent catchabubble, which isn't the same thing at all.

figmentPez said:
Steve said:
I know what you're talking about. I remember playing with that stuff at my aunt's house, along with a bunch of my cousins. We never could get it to work as well as it was supposed to, but it was still cool. I can't remember what it's called. All I can find is the more recent catchabubble, which isn't the same thing at all.
Bloonies. I only know because there's a bottle on my roommate's desk right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.